Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Can't wait for NZ to be shut down even faster and harder than India has been tonight on Sunday :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Australia just won the World Cup!!! Whoooooooooo!!

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
NZ are going to get creamed. It's fitting that this is the World Cup, because the best team in the world is about to win it.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Byolante posted:

I think the only aussies who want australia to win are the blowins from other parts of the forums

Let's keep the romance alive. NZ have a chance to win! On Sunday at the MCG! Seriously guys! :laugh:

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Australia have some likeable players. Steve Smith is a bit of a poo poo stirrer but in the way most cricket fans like. More sanga than Warner. Haddin is such an old rogue its hard for me to dislike him and I think for fast bowlers Johnson, Starc and Haze are pretty chill.

Not sure how you left Dave Warner off this list!!!

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
I'm hoping for an absolute bloodbath with hopefully Dave Warner being an absolute prick and scoring a ton. Also a Watto hat trick.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Hahahahah here comes the bloodbath I wanted :hellyeah:

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Bloodbath. Bring on Watto for a hat trick :swoon:

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Turns out it's a lot harder to beat the best team in the world on their home ground :laugh:

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
BLOODBATH :swoon:

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Watto to win the World Cup :hellyeah:

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
The best team in the tournament can't beat the best team in the world. Big surprise :laugh:

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/you-know-what-they-deserved-it/story-fnqpo3wn-1227284157875

quote:

Then Smith passed the phone to Haddin, who he described as the “drunkest man in the team”.

Asked about the controversial sledging incidents, Haddin was to the point.

“You know what? They deserved it,” Haddin said.

Haddin then went on to talk about how “nice” the Black Caps had treated the Aussies while they were in New Zealand earlier in the tournament. Initially, it came across as sarcasm — but it appears he was actually being sincere.

“They were that nice to us in New Zealand and we were that uncomfortable,” Haddin said.

“I said in the team meeting: ‘I can’t stand for this anymore, we’re going at them as hard as we can.’

“It was that uncomfortable. All they were was that nice to us for seven days.

“I said, ‘I’m not playing cricket like this. If we get another crack at these guys in the final I’m letting everything [out].’”

Apparently that last one was taken at 2:15 am in the middle of the MCG :laugh:

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Here's the audio: https://audioboom.com/boos/3036003-steve-smith-brad-haddin-and-darren-lehmann-still-partying-hard

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
The reason all the cry babies get so upset about Australia sledging is because they do it while pretty consistently winning. Under Waugh and then Ponting Australia dominated cricket. They were terrible for a long time after 2007, but now that they're back on top the whinging and whining about them has started all over again.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
If only those Aussies would stop being so mean and so good at cricket :qq:

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Lionel Richie posted:

I don't know, I suppose it comes down to personal preference as to where you rank racially aggravated abuse in the scheme of things.

Where do you personally rank threats of physical violence? I'd guess it would depend on whether it was an Aussie making the threat or receiving it :laugh:

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Lionel Richie posted:

I'd rate them lower than racial abuse tbh, especially for a country like Australia. For instance, I'd rank Michael Clarke threatening Anderson with a broken arm lower than what Warner did.

Hahah yeah threatening to bowl a ball at someone fast enough that it breaks their arm during a game that involves bowling balls fast at people sure is similar to theatening to punch someone after a match.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Wandle Cax posted:

Yeah the threat of violence is not as bad as racist abuse.

Remind me of the horrible racist comment again. It was a pretty terrible thing he said about him! Certainly worse than threatening to punch someone! :rolleyes:

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Honestly it's pretty clear that "moral world cup winners" NZ are behaving like a pack of wild dogs in that photo. Regardless of when it was taken, players from this world cup were involved so I guess they are a disgrace to the game as well.

Congratulations NZ (and the rest of the world)... you've won the "We're a bunch of nice guys (when it suits us) who are absolutely terrible at cricket compared to Australia" World Cup!! Unfortunately the trophy is made entirely out of the tears of your fans :laugh:

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Scylo posted:

I can't wait to see how good this thread gets when Australia win the Ashes 5-0

But were they sensitive to their opponents feelings?! :emo:

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

serious gaylord posted:

You're embarrassing yourself now mate.

Like an opening batsmen being clean bowled by Glenn Maxwell on 15 runs? :laugh: :bravo:

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
I'm just going to leave this here so I can find it when the Ashes roll around and everyone starts whining about the big mean Aussies sledging the poor noble English lads again.

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/sledging-england-west-indies-second-test-ben-stokes-stuart-broad-chris-jordan-marlon-samuels/2015-04-23

quote:

"If you are the sort of character who likes to feel you are in a battle, then make sure you do that," Broad said. "There's no point sitting back.

"I know the International Cricket Council are very strict about what you are allowed to do and what looks good on TV, but you can't let that take away from your natural game.

"We've got a few guys in this squad who like to be in a battle and I think you need that in Test cricket.

“When two players are playing with passion for their country, that's good to see."

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Lionel Richie posted:

We're alright thanks, the world cup is over now, you can stop posting here

On the contrary. I'm getting pumped for back to back Aussie Ashes white washes :swoon:

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Even those big mean Aussies can't believe the KP situation. Siddle talking fondly about his bunny:

quote:

“A bloke that averages 50 in Test cricket I’m happy enough to have out of the side.

“Get somebody in who averages less. I’m happy to see him gone.”

http://mobile.news.com.au/sport/cri...y-1227353439910

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Airstream Driver posted:

Warner has already said he's going to be on his best behaviour.

Just went and found this:

I'm just going to leave this here so I can find it when the Ashes roll around and everyone starts whining about the big mean Aussies sledging the poor noble English lads again.

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/sledging-england-west-indies-second-test-ben-stokes-stuart-broad-chris-jordan-marlon-samuels/2015-04-23

quote:

"If you are the sort of character who likes to feel you are in a battle, then make sure you do that," Broad said. "There's no point sitting back.

"I know the International Cricket Council are very strict about what you are allowed to do and what looks good on TV, but you can't let that take away from your natural game.

"We've got a few guys in this squad who like to be in a battle and I think you need that in Test cricket.

“When two players are playing with passion for their country, that's good to see."

Countdown to Australia mentally disintegrating England and everyone pretending that the noble English lads are hard done by because Australia is a lot better at sledging and at cricket :laugh:

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Brad Haddin on England not wanting the big mean Aussies to be mean to them this Ashes (and hopefully also suddenly get much worse at cricket!!!!!!!!!!!!!):

http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricke...y-1227423130034

quote:

The last time a team tried to smother the Aussies in kindness, cricket’s most relentlessly aggressive side came back even harder. Even if Australia lost a few admirers for getting in the face of the loveable New Zealanders in the World Cup final, the record books show they came away with the prize. If England aren’t bluffing with their charm offensive, Haddin says Australia can prove again that nice guys finish last in cricket.

“Yeah, we fixed that in the World Cup final, didn’t we?,” he said.

“I don’t understand where they’re coming with this. I don’t understand this pleasant – I don’t know what it’s ...?

“… could you explain to me what it’s?

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Is there actually any evidence that David Warner is racist aside from him asking someone who he was speaking to to use a language that they both actually spoke and understood?

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
They look like pretty fun dudes to party with:

Definitely not annoying pricks, that's for sure.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Lionel Richie posted:

The answer is yes, when there's two of them.

There's two types of cricket fans these days. You're either an Australian supporter or you're a sore loser :laugh:

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Smorgasbord posted:

That's a weakass false equivalency that you can't possibly defend, If you think every team does it you clearly don't watch any series not involving Australia.

Imagine being the kind of person that's proud to have David Warner represent their country, goddamn.

Here's noble English player Stokes being reprimanded for sledging Marlon Samuels a couple of months ago. I thought this stuff only went on in series involving Australia?!

Of course Samuels went on to score a century in that innings. Turns out England sledges too, but they're just a lot worse than Australia at it. Just like cricket in general I guess :laugh:

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Smorgasbord posted:

If you think the same level and frequency of 'sledging' (actually just crude dickheads spewing obscenities in opponent's faces) occurs in non Australian games then you're beyond reasoning with.

There's no doubt whatsoever that Australia is the best in the world at sledging, just like they're the best in the world at cricket. The fact of the matter is that pretty much all countries do it, but apparently it's only some abhorrent blight on the sport when Australia does it. Sour grapes indeed.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

BrigadierSensible posted:

No.

All countries sledge. Yes. Australia are the best at it/do it the most. Maybe.

The point here is : when a drunk racist fuckwit, (Warner) punches a babyfaced girlyman dickead, (Root), because "a lot of little things over the night, nothing specific", it is near impossible to defend him. And if you defend him coz, "everyone sledges, stop picking on us just coz we are Aussies", then you are an arseface.

Also in all the noise, nobody is saying how unacceptable it is, (in my opinion), for a player to punch an opposing player after a night out. I mean, this is not Rugby League for fucks sake.

I'm not arguing that someone punching someone else is right. Alcohol was involved, we have differing accounts of what actually happened and Dave Warner has done his penance and him and Joe Root have shaken hands since then.

I'm still waiting on some evidence that Warner is racist apart from "he asked someone he was talking to to use a language they could both understand".

The issue here is whiners making out that the Australian cricket side is a pack of villains just because they're the best in the world at what they do (mentally disintegrating teams while beating them at cricket).

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Monkeu's posting is so bad that I'll be rooting for England. Let that sink in.

Seems to me like you'll be a perfect fit with the other England supporters :laugh:

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Even the baby is racist!!!!!

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Shmoses posted:

If you're suggesting that telling an Indian guy to speak English doesn't at least have racist connotations then I think you're being disingenuous.

So if you were having a heated exchange with someone and they were talking in a language you didn't understand instead of the language you both spoke and understood you wouldn't ask them to switch? Do you have brain damage?

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Like in most international sports English is the commonly shared language in cricket, for better or worse. If someone was yelling at me in a language I didn't understand I'd ask them to use a language we both spoke too. If you can't understand that then you're being disingenuous for the sake of villifying a big mean Aussie.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

-Spiffy- posted:

White man shouts "Speak English" at Indian in Melbourne: Nothing racist about that.

International cricket player is shouting at another international cricket player in a language he doesn't understand. The abhorrent monster asks him to use a language they both know quite well that they both speak and understand.

PLUS HE'S AUSTRALIAN SO TELLING HIM TO USE A LANGUAGE HE CAN UNDERSTAND MAKES HIM RACIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

IceAgeComing posted:

England is actually good now

at one day cricket

Is it 3 or 4 months too late to be good at one day cricket?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Hahahahah great photo.