Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Meanwhile, Haris Sohail of Pakistan is refusing to train because ghosts.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/30999008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

webmeister posted:

Shane Watson can't be a Pakistani; he can't even fix his batting technique let alone a match

Holy poo poo.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

kingturnip posted:

Chris Woakes in delivery stride looks loving awful:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Oh no, there's a conventionally attractive woman doing cricket things on my TV! I bet she's such a slut that she makes an early declaration and collapses her batting order, that whore. Am I right, guys? I bet she makes a sexy delivery with the entire team's leathery red balls, if you know what I mean.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Drugs posted:

IWC should mandate 1992 WC shirts to be worn now and forever

gently caress yes.

Meanwhile, the New Zealand one isn't half bad.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

EMC posted:

When there is a tie in a form of cricket they should bust out the next tier down as the decider

If you tie a test, then saddle up you are playing a one dayer, if that is a tie then a T20 and then finally a super over

Faultless plan imo

Nah, gently caress the super over. Just apply the "next wicket/boundary" wins rule.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Chin up, Aussies. Keep at it, and one day you'll be almost as good as New Zealand at the cricket.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Don't worry, New Zealand'll be bowled out in 10 overs by a rampant MiJo.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

MaoistBanker posted:

Knuc watches cricket with this:

You mean you don't?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Big Show, everyone.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11409963

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Brett824 posted:

Seems likely that NZ will rest a couple of their bowlers in each of the final two matches, though.

They might as well. Guys like Milne need to be managed carefully to get the most out of them, and it doesn't hurt to get the guys that have missed out some game time in case they're required. The remaining games for NZ are against Bangladesh and Afghanistan, and the games they'd have pegged as the "big ones" going in are out of the way.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Airstream Driver posted:

The only reason they should change their line up is to rest either Southee or Vettori (avoid an injury) in the Afghanistan match. You're not going to get any meaningful information from a good performance against a lower team.

Excuse me, they've got Bangladesh to play, and they're above Australia and England in the current Pool A standings.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Colleague reckons it'll be NZ/South Africa in the semifinal, and the winner of NZ/SA against India in the final. He's South African, and is genuinely worried that South Africa will basically panic and fall apart in a pressure situation, and that the only player he reckons has the fortitude to stay calm in that situation is AB de Villiers. I think I'm more optimistic of South Africa's chances than he is.

The Bangers have already overachieved even getting to the quarters, and considering the opposition in Pool B, it's an about-par result for the Windies..

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It's like Octodad.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The South Africans at work copped a fair bit of ribbing this morning at staff briefing, and one of them said he couldn't sleep at all because he was so angry about losing. He'll be supporting the Black Caps in the final because "they've got a South African."

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Noxin of Shame posted:

It sounds like ABdV is taking the loss quite hard. He has a team containing some of the best players in the world, both destructive batsmen, fearsome bowlers, and spectacular fielders; he has the weight of a nation eager for victory; as well as getting screwed by the rain which took away the juiciest overs to score from.

I ... I think I feel sorry for a South African captain.

Cricket is weird guys.

Honestly, I think the rain and subsequent D/L adjusted overs cost the Proteas more than any fielding errors. They would have likely had a fairly defendable total to work with, that the Black Caps could not have chased down and the fielding errors that came later probably would not have been as costly, assuming they would have happened.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Everyone is dead weight, no exceptions.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Noxin of Shame posted:

webmeister posted:

lolol. Incidences of Blackface in crowd?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Well done, Australia. Better team on the day.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Butt Wizard posted:

loving atmospheric issues just knocked out my Sky, be my eyes and ears goons.

Doctor Cave posted:

No words can describe what is happening out there.

It's incredible though

Yeah, the New Zealand wickets are tumbling one after another. Not too long before they're all out.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

gently caress off, old people. I want to watch the cricket.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Drugs posted:

300 is on

I'm thinking somewhere in the high 200s is more likely, assuming no more wickets fall.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

I'm thinking somewhere in the high 200s is more likely, assuming no more wickets fall.

For gently caress's sake.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

iajanus posted:

Lol kiwis

It's not fair, the Aussie bowlers cheated by taking wickets when we couldn't afford to lose them. :qq:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Thel posted:

:vince:

As a NZ cricket supporter - fair cop, the Aussies played better than us and won the game. Shane Warne and Brad Haddin can both DIAF though.

Yeah, pretty much. Australia were simply the better team on the day, and NZ never recovered from losing their top order too easily. The Black Caps far exceeded my expectations in getting to the final, to be honest.

I guess you can draw parallels between this and the 1954 FIFA World Cup. Hungary had beaten West Germany with ease in the group stage (8-3), but when they met again in the final, when it really mattered, the Germans smothered the Hungarians to death in the second half of the game and took the trophy home.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

RideTheSpiral posted:

I challenge people to listen to VVS Laxman on the latest Sky Sport podcast and not want to kill yourself. Holy poo poo I'd rather listen to 5 Shane Warnes talking about pizza.

Warney's grouse at commentary.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

:nws: for visible nipples on Jimmy

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 4, 2015

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So in other words, the ECB needs to make Cook captain of England for life.

Also, how loud is the Bring Back KP brigade over in England?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Lionel Richie posted:

Pietersen was never going to be selected in the near future, if ever, it's just Graves' comments which muddied the waters. To be fair to Strauss he's gone and drawn a clear line under it. Whether it's right or not is up for debate, but not the intention behind it.

Andrew did nothing wrong.

That plus KP probably shouldn't have been called up after textgate to begin with. I was honestly quite surprised he was back when it happened. Pietersen being snubbed was probably inevitable anyway considering Strauss called him a oval office live on air last year, and all the centuries Pietersen might hit in county cricket won't make one iota of difference.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 12, 2015

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

goatface posted:

Clive Woodward. He'd probably like a go. Apparently he cannot grasp why a captain would ever have a part to play in picking a team.

He'd probably try and make Moeen have a shave.

Cricket captains have a much larger role at the administrative level of the squad than they do in rugby. There have been some cases where a player has had some degree of influence over selection (e.g. Gavin Hastings convincing Sir Ian McGeechan to not pick Will Carling for the 2nd and 3rd test against the All Blacks during the 1993 British and Irish Lions tour by claiming he would be a disruptive influence, relegating Carling to the midweek fixtures is a notable example), but it's never been an official part of their job.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Lionel Richie posted:

Pietersen was a poo poo oval office.

And that right there is the crux of the issue. He is never going to be part of any England side where Strauss is heavily involved in selection after the disgraceful way in which he tried to undermine the team and Strauss' captaincy. The rest of the squad may be a bunch of lovely players and cunts, but at least they can tolerate each other enough not to do a lovely oval office thing like Pietersen did. He probably should never had been recalled or "reintegrated" to begin with, and it just smacks of being a desperate move by a lovely captain of a lovely team.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cr...d-textgate.html

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Brett824 posted:

I can't handle the zebra statue in the background of this pic.

Who's making the sillier face? Cook or the zebra?

Also, prime avatar material.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Speaking of smug Aussies, when's the next Ashes series?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

He also called Geoff Miller a knob.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Seams posted:

Doesn't seem like a bad top 10 to me. With these kinds of things you can kinda shuffle the top 10 around any way you want and come out with something reasonable.

India is currently being skittled by Bangladesh lol

The top 10 listed would be there or thereabouts in a better list. Not sure who would be at the top

other than beautiful Dan Vettori.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Negligent posted:

Even Paul Keating's wife didn't enjoy getting felt up by Paul Keating.

Please imagine I made a witty "do you slowly" joke at Keating's expense here.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So in other news, New Zealand will be playing this weekend as Aotearoa for their ODI game against Zimbabwe later this week to celebrate Maori Language Week.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/south-africa-v-new-zealand-2015/content/story/903551.html

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Scylo posted:

Langer will be the next coach

Nah, it'll be Warney. He's grouse at coaching, probably.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Seams posted:

Rumour has it that Clarke will retire from Tests after The Oval.

1 down, 7 to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Are they professional?