Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Mouth-watering cricket, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't post in the cricket thread at all but that was a tremendous test imo. I hope Bangers/Australia ends half as well.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Windies are poo poo again

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Windies are poo poo again

England, too, are poo poo again

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Demote all test nations to tier 2 except Bangladesh.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Tense stuff in the CPL final imo. Still could go either way.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
blatant match-fixing in the 19th over imo

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 10, 2017

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I thought it was ODIs and got disappointed when I found out it was T20. That's my story.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
apparently nobody's ever made an ODI 200 in England, gently caress

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

screaden posted:

All that sounds like a very convoluted mess, but thanks for the explanations. Seems like my best bet would be to just keep the app on my phone handy and watch what I feel like as it pops up or whatever is on FTA TV. Boxing day test is always a given, it's like a weird christmas tradition that you must fall asleep at about 1pm in a big recliner chair. The little of the BBL stuff I've seen seems like a goofy fun time but it feels weird picking a team that hasn't really existed for very long.

IMO a good way to follow the fake cricket leagues with fake franchise teams is to pick a national team you like and see where their coolest players are playing. Although they have residency/local player rules, the big buck T20 leagues are pretty much where the big cricket stars make a lot of their money.

I like Dhaka in the BPL because they have Shakib al Hasan who is cool.

e) since a T20 league "season" lasts like a month the best players generally play in multiple leagues in a season, Shakib for instance is currently playing for Dhaka in the BPL , but earlier in the year he also played for Jamaica in the Caribbean Premier League, and Peshawar in the Pakistani Super League.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 10, 2017

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
are australia loving this up

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
This match is bad again

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
*turns off tv*

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Looks like an incredible result from the England boys.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Ben Stokes is a good LBGTQ ally and should be knighted.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Kt88 posted:

Windies are a bit bad

A bit?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Do England even have anyone young and promising in the pipes or are they going to become Windies Bad when Anderson and Cook go

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
speaking of promising young t20 bowlers am I the only one who thinks Rashid Kahn looks like 35 years old

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Disgusting to happen to a confirmed lgbtq ally

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
IIRC that same day had the awesome final day of the Bangladesh/Australia test, was a great day to watch cricket imo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
When's he getting his knighthood for bashing homophobes

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Smorgasbord posted:

Oh Dear.

It's poo poo that the West Indies u19 captain didn't withdraw the appeal, and as with the BBL obstructing the field call if the rules say that's out then the rules are wrong.

it's harsh and not the spirit of the rules but on the other hand it's extremely easy to not touch the ball unless the umpire says it's dead, and it's extremely easy to just not deviate from your line while running ever.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
50 over cricket is the most boring rear end form of the sport imo. Great ODIs are amazing but they're by far the form of cricket most prone to "the match is effectively over but there's still 2 hours left to play out". it's like a game of Monopoly.

e) the two SA/India tests so far have been very entertaining, especially the first test

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 19, 2018

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the test championship should be a linear title that you can challenge for like in boxing or wrestling and the team captain should get a WWE belt to wear

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the real question is why the gently caress Sri Lanka are so awful, I know their bowlers suck but losing an ODI to Zimbabwe in Asia seems a bit much

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

CrRoMa posted:

Love it when a team chooses to bowl first and blows a team away

the only thing i love more is when the the team that bowled first and blows a team away proceeds to get blown out in their own first innings

test cricket kicks rear end

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
in "I can't believe this hasn't happened before" news, SA/India is the first time ever in a three-match test series where all 120 wickets available fell

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I like Archer so I hope Hobart wins the final but Adelaide has Rashid Kahn so they're cool too.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Shmoses posted:

Rashid Khanis is missing the final to play for Afghanistan if this helps

That's bad go Hobart

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's good for him and the Afghanistan team but sadly I will be burning all the expensive Adelaide Strikers bandwagon gear I bought

(really though I was just hoping to see him in the final because his googly is so good to watch when it's working)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
This SL vs Bangladesh test looks like the most boring test of all time.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
In real cricket news, the Bangers were 107/5 and got bowled out for 110

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
pakistan super league time folks. forget the fraud IPL

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
if anyone has a chance to watch Lahore v. Islamabad from the PSL T20 that just happened, I recommend it, it's maybe the craziest finish to a T20 match I've ever seen

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm glad Afghanistan are in, they have a cool team.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Ban all T20 leagues except the Pakistan one because it's clearly the most entertaining

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Cricket is kind of weird where the high level play is historically international matches, and the current T20 league tournaments are almost special events that interrupt the normal season, kind of like the opposite of say, hockey being mostly franchise leagues but sometimes getting interrupted by international tournaments.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
If you want to watch cricket in the US get a Willow.tv subscription (make sure to de-check the box where they try to sell you that Indian version of Spotify or whatever). If you want to get into tests, the recent SA/India series was pretty good. Unfortunately there's not much on Willow now because it's the IPL season and their current deal doesn't let them put up archived matches which is stupid, but usually there's a decent amount of stuff there like the Big Bash League in the winter (the biggest T20 league after the IPL), and also fun stuff like random rear end Indian first-class matches and lower-end T20 leagues.

I really don't think watching County Championship matches with a lovely single-camera stream is a great introduction to cricket honestly. Definitely watch a real test match instead.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I like the T20 Blast for actually using the county teams instead of fake teams loved by 6-year-olds and people with mental illnesses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
This has to be one of the best debut test performances in a long time.