Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Jokes on him: plugging directly into the router doesn't make it any better.

One day I hope to see a ball that's going to just clear a fielder on the boundary get taken by one fieldsman climbing another's back, AFL style and marking it. Ideally in a test match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Airstream Driver posted:

I think they were told to make the game last longer.

I don't want think this could happen, and you're probably joking, but it's kind of hard to not feel like this has happened. Did someone change their gloves?

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

snaeksikn posted:

The Australians just don't want to bat while the wicket and conditions are still spicy

I actually was thinking that Morgan should have declared on 21 and taken advantage of the conditions. If any team is worse at handling pitch movement than England have been today it's Australia.

e: Yes bouncers that are 30cm above the batsman's head will keep the punters interested.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
Lehman dropped the World Cup BIG BASH LEAGUE WINNER'S THING multiple times in one game.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
Hahaha Pollard wasn't thinking that a 2 would have given them a super over and was thinking club it to the boundary or nothing.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

put both hands in posted:

lol at the BBL final starting at 4.15 cos of the stupid jungle show

Holy poo poo that is really the reason isn't it :fuckoff:

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

goatface posted:

No, that's good. Kid values his national shirt over T20 money. There is yet hope.

Well that's never going to work. He needs to become filthy rich from cricket and turn into a conservative poo poo heel (see Brett Lee, Cameron White, no doubt a lot more than I realise)

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

The Rabbi T. White posted:

I envy the deaf after half an over of this commentary.

Someone has told them how excited the BBL commentators get, while forgetting the part to let them know that unless it's Mark Waugh (or Howard), they can do it without sounding like bogan seals being electrocuted.

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Drop Kane from the T20 side already.

Which one, because before the first over they showed stats for Richardson and were talking about someone having a great T20 record, while it showed him taking 1 wicket in 4 games.

e: Sorry I knew, I guess my point was that they're both poo poo, Williamson at this format, Richardson just altogether.

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Feb 3, 2018

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Smorgasbord posted:

I liked how he said "clear space between bat and ball' when on the frame he was looking at they were overlapping (I agree there was no edge).

That was confusing. It genuinely made me wonder if we were looking at the same thing he was during that process.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
Can you die from hyperbole overdose? Someone call an ambulance, I'm feeling amazingly sick, like the greatest combination of unwell and dying ever in medical history, and no hospital room can hold me.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
Archer is going to be a good player once he realises he's got to actually focus on what's happening at all times.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
You want games to be exciting and close and so on but gently caress that it's the final hopefully we can just completely derail the 'cane train or whatever the hell the commentators would describe it as.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
Had the shits then cracked the shits

e: Even the Hurricane supporting commentators sulking about the best team not always winning

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

gay picnic defence posted:

club cricket in Adelaide

runoverbobby posted:

And then you hit a six off 155k bowling and it killed her

Hey it's totally possible. My third ball in my first (out of only two ever) innings in club cricket was a six, straight back over the bowler's head.

Of course that's because my second ball was me leaving what I thought was a wide leg-side ball (and by "leaving" I mean "standing there like an arrogant dick" because I was coming off of months of indoor cricket where you're simply not afraid of the ball as a batsman and was in that "there's nothing behind the stumps" mindset) which actually thwacked me on the thigh just behind the pads, with a slap so hard I'm pretty sure my teammates sitting on the boundary heard it, and which had the slip fielders and keeper (and bowler and probably the rest of the field, the umpires, my teammates and the off-strike batsman) laughing for like 2 minutes, and while I just smiled at the bowler I was blind from pain so I danced down the pitch next ball and by the power of accidentally well-timed bullshit sent it back over his head to some hooker-free zone a few metres past the straight boundary (pretty sure this was at Henley Beach), my point being he was easily pushing 90mph*

*kmph

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
Yeah, with the briefcase with some visas, various currencies, vague documents, and a cricket ball.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
He often does something like that, a fist pump or a stupid dance.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
You’re right KP, Alex Carey is a nice guy, not once did he ask you to shut the gently caress up when you were constantly talking to him while the bowler was coming in or even during the loving delivery itself.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

iajanus posted:

Jesus Christ I can't listen to the commentators argue that even though the ball touched the ground the fingers were around it so it's ok and should be out

I think they're just really badly trying to argue point 3c that you quoted. Just really badly.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
C'mon Rabada, you're fantastic to watch (except directly after you get someone out), stop basically asking to be banned you dumbass.

Does he not realise that Steyn just goes loving mental in his own little world and (generally) not in the face of the batsman?

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
I was pissed that he wasn't going to play and I dislike Smith as much as any other non-Paine Australian player but holy poo poo he clearly veered into Smith's shoulder and I think it's a great sign that a young player with ... post-wicket issues isn't going to learn a valuable lesson early on.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Sticko posted:

44464W(arner is a goddamn moron)

gottaplayyourshotsmate.txt

Dead Goon posted:

Oooooh, some bloke having a pop at Warner as he walks back up to the pavilion!

Hey, what can I say, class attracts class.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
I especially like how when questioned about the incident Smith immediately pushes the question onto Bancroft. And then when he does talk about it he uses language to imply he's talking about Bancroft before then eventually getting around to talking about the team. Strong captaincy. Not at all looking like they're setting up to push him under the bus.

"It's not what the Australian cricket team is about" ... Other than this time, clearly caught on camera? Great, because I'm always a big fan of the "But what about all the times we didn't cheat" excuse.

This is literal cheating and the captain has admitted he was complicit. Why is it that I feel like Bancroft is going to be the only person to suffer from this.

You Am I posted:

This is a disgusting situation and the whole team should face punishment, rather than Bancroft.

Fly the Sheffield Shield winners over to play the last test, mark it down as an official Australian game so when they get utterly destroyed it goes onto Australia's test record.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Will sledges directed at the Australians calling them "stupid ineffective cheats" be crossing the line?

We won't know until Warner abuses someone for three hours on the field while they're batting and then they finally turn around and call him that on the way off the field, I guess.

Also I'm just increasingly confused by Smith's response, about just moving on. He literally doesn't give as poo poo they've been caught outright planning to and then going ahead and trying to cheat. He's just "going forward we'll learn from this" ... what the hell? I mean, I guess I feel that you are right, but just not in the way you think it's going to happen.

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 25, 2018

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Seams posted:

Pretty major when compared with recent ball tampering incidents. Faf was only fined in both of his incidents. No ban.

It'll be up to Cricket Australia if he loses the captaincy.

Faf had a mint in his mouth for one of those incidents. Is there any purpose to that other than creating more saliva, in a game where it's completely valid to lick your finger and rub the ball?

I get that the time when he was rubbing it against the zipper on his pants that yes that was bad, but I don't get the mint thing unless there is some advantage to making the ball sticky, which sounds like the last thing the bowler would want.

Also

Kt88 posted:

How in tatters is the 'the baggy green' culture? Seems to me its maybe now a symbol of raging hypocrisy and balls out cheating?

Now? :lol:

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

serious gaylord posted:

Ball tampering is good and should be encouraged is exactly how I expected this thread to go.

Chris Lynn, Australian cricketer posted:

I reckon every cricketer has probably done it throughout their career in grade cricket or whatever level to an extent. I think Faf du Plessis said when he got done last year, his was more of a ball shining not tampering. There's a fine line between all that stuff.

The cricket has been interesting of late. It's keeping Test cricket on the map, isn't it? It's been interesting. Not exactly positive, but what's happened has happened and the guys are going to do what they're going to do.

As a part of the Australian cricket team, I can't really say too much. The ICC have sanctioned the boys already and obviously Cricket Australia will have their say. But they haven't murdered anyone. They'll deal with it and move on.

Hopefully we can win this last Test because at the end of the day, they're there to play cricket. Besides the spotlight being on other things, they're there to win a Test series which is the most important thing.

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/ball-tampering-scandal-reaction-comment-steve-smith-david-warner-cameron-bancroft-captaincy/2018-03-26

Right now every international ground around the world with an Australian match scheduled for the next 12 months is buying an extra 33 cameras to make sure that every angle of every Australian player on the field is covered.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Kt88 posted:

My takeaway from that incredibly lame presser is that the entire team probably knew about ball tampering and CA are trying to stop the total destruction of their cricket team and livelihoods. Lehmann also has some sort of leverage in the situation.

He has to have known, there is clear vision on him contacting the 12th man who then ran onto the field and talked directly to Bancroft who then freaked out and dropped a piece of tape covered in grit into his jocks.

We've gone from them presuming they'd get away with tampering with the ball with a BRIGHT PIECE OF TAPE with a hundred loving cameras around to simply continuing to take everyone for loving morons.

The blatant tampering on a camera heavy ground reeks of the stupidity of Warner, but the "Lehmann didn't know" garbage smells like he has some sort of dirt on someone or something.

I'm moving from "Smith seemed arrogant as gently caress when casually dismissing premeditated ball tampering caught on camera" to "Smith was trying to cover for the team or Warner and was simply too naive to realise the ramifications of events". How likely is it that Warner bosses Smith around when it's not clear-cut captaincy situations like the toss etc?

Airstream Driver posted:

Clarkes got the back of a 60 year old

And the style of a 60 year old trying to convince himself he can still score at nightclubs filled with teenagers and twenty-somethings.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
Goodbye David Warner. You will not be missed. Hello attractive man and good player Joe Burns Matt Renshaw.

Sorry, I meant attractive man Joe Burns and good player Matt Renshaw. My bad.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Starc has a 'tibial stress' apparently.

uh huh

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Tim Paine posted:

He said that he wanted to foster an environment where players did not feel they had to conform to a narrow idea of what an Australian Test cricketer should be. Instead, they needed to be themselves, with the team broadening its horizons to make allowances for that sort of diversity.

"We're happy to do that, I think it actually suits this group of players, we're a different group of players than Australia have had for a long time, we haven't got too many guys that like to verbalise and have that sort of really hard-nosed Australian approach. We're about creating an environment where guys can come in and play cricket and just be themselves. I think if we can achieve that then we'll have guys having better results as well."

What is this unaustralian poo poo? At this rate I'll actually have admiration and respect for the Australian cricket team. I haven't known those feelings in ... err ... I'm sure I've felt it at some point in the past. Probably. I might actually ... want them to succeed???

This is all assuming he can weather the storm of dickheads like Warne coming down hard on him for not embracing the traditional be-an-rear end in a top hat-or-go-away philosophy

Twitter needs to secretly block Warne's feed from being publicly visible and just fake likes and retweets so he thinks people are reading his garbage.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Airstream Driver posted:

Paine has fractured his thumb. Good thing this is the last test for a while.

Why the gently caress was he keeping up behind the stumps to Sayers anyway? Did he read Warne's idiot tweet about him being "only" 120kmph or something.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

notaspy posted:

Are we talking about no tosses yet?

Seems a good idea.

Yes, Fox Sports did pick up Warne.

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/shane-warne-signs-with-fox-sports-cricket-commentary-gilchrist-hussey-vaughan-ponting-australia/2018-05-17

Oh, sorry, tosses? As in coin tosses? No idea.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
Can you say that Marsh is a bad player of spin when he's bowled by a ball that didn't spin?

"When Marsh looks back at that he'll say that he played down the wrong line" - insightful commentary by the local Nine team reminding us of how poo poo they are briefly before returning us to the English coverage.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
Yes we can all tell you’re making GBS threads yourself against spin, Short, but at least don’t run out the guy who knows what he’s doing because you’re so desperate to get off strike.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

racing identity posted:

Reckon Agar should have tried to get some bat on that one

Expect the nine commentary to earnestly say this next time we’ve got to put up with them

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
K. Richardson lbw Rashid

Hahaha that Played/Left Alone graphic

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
Should lose a future review for reviewing that.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
Stoinis as death bowler? Can't imagine how that didn't work out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Seams posted:

marcus stoinis is poo poo and hes gonna be dining out on that one innings against NZ for years

I couldn't understand how he got picked for serious games.

Same with Short, he's a garbageman T20 slogger who'll occasionally get lucky, he's not an International player oh wait I just described the entire team apart from Finch never mind.