Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

I'd love to easily see 'average # innings played for each 50/100". Like basically innings played / 50s and / 100s. Would potentially give a better indication of consistency & reliability compared to the usual batting average, which can be inflated by huge scores and not-outs.

I was just looking at Howstat and since hitting his first ton, Smith hasn't ever gone more than two tests without at least a half century. Kohli on other hand has had a couple of long dry spells, and his average is blown up by scores of 200+. Root is an interesting one - his 50~ average is being held up by very very consistently scoring half centuries, but he doesn't go on to convert to 100s often enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

So by my counting, since his 250 in 2016, Root has made 19 half centuries and only three went on to be a ton.

E: 5 tons from his last 27 half centuries.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Surely Burns gets another go as opener? Has Shield form, and has shown so he can play at test level.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

This is boring. Could one of the brothers put the foot down a bit?

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

At least these two games have been high scoring and entertaining, the first few weeks were average in all aspects.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

The scoreboard stuff looks like Gillette branding. Wonder if it's part of the sponsorship deal.

I hate it

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Australia needs 10 runs an over

Taylor: "Australia pretty much need to make sure they hit a run off every ball. And they probably just about need a boundary each over too."

We need a commentary mute button.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Burn Down Canberra posted:

i think we as fans need to take some blame. Australians do not tolerate losing. We should maybe look at sport in perspective.

I hope this is sarcasm.

No-one in my business likes it when we lose out on proposals but we don't start breaking the law to get them over the line. We learn from our mistakes and get better.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Steve Smith coming in with a ton would be fantastic right now but noooooooooooo

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Sharma coming in at no. 9 = lol.

What a tail India have

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Up to 270 now.

Time is almost as valuable as the runs themselves now.

20-30 more runs and 2 RPO would be amazing.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

GOT HIM YES PISS OFF YOU'RE OUT

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Why is it that shield batsmen poo poo now?

'Back in the day' at any one time there were a bunch of guys averaging 45+ domestically but couldn't get regular gig in the Australian team, such was the strength of the test side. Thinking David Hussey, Darren Lehmann, Matthew Elliot. Even Mark Cosgrove averaged 40.

These days domestic guys average 30-40 in shield and can't break into a soft test team.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

iajanus posted:

Good to see 7 doesn't give a poo poo about the bbl and just let the news go over the first fifteen minutes of the game.

lol did it really?

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Fanatic posted:

I'll be quite surprised if it's anything other than a draw. Same as last year.

400 runs behind with two Marsh's to bat. Lucky we have a tail who can bat better than our middle order.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

A Head or Paine consolation century would be nice here. Some entertainment and seemingly good blokes getting their first tons (wow Paine only has one FC century, lol).

Wont happen, but I can dream.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

I really liked watching Big Bash the last few years because Channel 10 had a good commentary team. Some legends of the game who provided strong analysis when needed, but at the end of the day they all knew it was about fun and would make a gag/tell a story to bring a boring game to life. I thought Howie and Andy Maher did a good job as the 'serious' commentary anchors too.

Fox is the closest to it this year, but unfortunately Kerry O'Keefe is on tonight and gently caress me he is awful.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

What do Shield batsmen do over the winter if not playing county cricket?

Is there any reason they couldn't have a lot more shield cricket but just play it all in Queensland/NT when it starts to get cold and wetter in the southern states?

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

I've always thought of Smith as just being 'good' at ODI cricket (relative), and would validate this thought with his batting average. But if you remove start of his career when he was batting at #7 - around 20 innings - he'd be in the top 10 ODI career batting averages.

I'd be interested to see the batting average of some of the greats after removing the start and ends of their careers (first 20 and last 20 innings).

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Williamson is another like Smith who had a fairly average start to his career but has turned out amazing. By that I mean, an average around thirty or less through the first 20 innings of their career.

A few I dug up (after first 20 innings):

Williamson: 31, one century
Smith: 32, no centuries
S. Waugh: 26, no centuries
Hayden: 26, one century

Any others that come to mind? I looked at most of the highest-averaging batsmen and most were in the 40s at least after their first 20 innings.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

tanglewood1420 posted:

Garry Sobers 31 ave, no hundreds after 21 innings, 12 tests

His first test hundred was his world record 365* in his 17th test. Not a bad knock for your maiden century.

Funnily enough Brian Lara also went huge in his 17th test, taking over the WR with 375.

Prior to that he had also scored 277 in his 5th test...

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Since scoring his first century, Smith...

- Just ended his longest run without a century (14 innings)
- 1 in 4 innings is a century
- Has never gone more than 5 innings without scoring at least a half century

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Starc is a milder version of MiJo. His garbage spells aren't as bad as the :wtc: spells Johnson would have, but his best also isn't as good as Johnson's destructive best.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Grumio posted:

So the big question today is: at what point does Australia declare?

At the current run rate, we could put declare with 15 overs left in the day with a lead of 350. I'd like to see that. It's enticing for India to go after, chip away 70~ runs before stumps and they'd be in a strong position.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Dud Root

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Early big bash on channel 10 owned. Really good commentary trios and just had a fun vibe about it. Although my life stage helped too, I was around 26, living with my best mate and every night during summer we just sank beers and watched cricket. Good times.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

I'm no expert but I think Hameed might be a bit poo poo

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Khawaja 100 and Green 50 = 360 run lead. Get it done lads.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

That shot Green hit for four was delicious

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Don't give him excuses punter, that's a sitter. Old man Warner

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

What's the meaning of 'Go West's to the barmy army? Have heard the trumpet going with the song at most of the tests

I assume they've got different lyrics with it

If it's just cos it's a cool song then yeah sweet I'm cool with that too

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Seams posted:

All the big-four have been proven to be frauds.

Is it fair to say the standard of cricket worldwide is garbage

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

I really dig Burns leaving the long hair flowing out. Don't see that much in cricket

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Warnie :(

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Khawaja since returning to the team: 137, 101*, 6, 11, 97, 160, 44*, 91, 100*

Sure there are some roads in there, but still. Good on him.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

gently caress off Stokes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

They should be like "OK fine" and lift Warner's captaincy ban, then immediately drop him from the team lol.

He hasn't made significant runs for ages and is 36, time to find a new opener anyway.