Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
I might be wrong, but what has happened is that it was supposed to happen in 2020 in Australia, but y'know, covid...

So then it was supposed to be in India last year, but the IPL getting delayed until later in the year meant it got moved to the UAE and having it this year I think is a make good to Cricket Australia, because hosting big tournaments is supposed to be big money.

So we end up with a world cup getting held in consecutive years, because money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

The Rabbi T. White posted:

It has bred some pretty goddamn awful humans, yes.

Hey! :mad:

I mean it's true, but you didn't have to say it.

Also lol england, looking forward to the think pieces on how poo poo they are that ignore the weather and the fact the T20 is a bit of a lottery at the best of times and the deserving teams don't always win *gestures vaguely at Australia's world cup win last year*

That's why Test cricket is best cricket

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Typical of NZ to let Australia down like that, Greg Chappell saw the future and knew the kiwis would deliberately lose that match to spite Australia and thats the real reason he told his brother to bowl underarm.

On the other hand, who gives a poo poo about T20? I still don't know how Australia are even defending champions, considering how bad we are at the format.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
So, the Netherlands do for Pakistan what neither New Zealand or Sri Lanka would do for Australia.

Why NZ and SL, why.

Oh, the racism. That makes sense. Fair enough.

Obligatory lol at South Africa

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
I think Australia should not play sweep shots anymore.

Both Marnus and Carey premeditated those shots and look what happens.

Marnus especially should have just driven it, takes one step and thats a half volley

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
I'm more confused with Cummins clearly not able to bowl why the Aussie's haven't given more overs to Green.

But Head is good enough I guess.

And Lyon gets 6, all over. Doesn't matter lol

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
As much as I dislike England, I think it's great these hyper aggressive tactics are actually working, if other teams start copying, test cricket becomes even more awesome.

And it's not just in the batting, I thought that declaration was way too generous but here we are. It's like a race car driver decided to jam his throttle open and climbed onto the roof to play a guitar solo and not only didn't crash, but won the race.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Just a reminder that after the Aussie's got done at Cape Town, suddenly every test team was getting much less reverse swing than they had previously, almost like they knew people would be looking a lot closer.

And the reason the saffer tv crew knew Australia had to be tampering (cape town was not the first time) was they were getting reverse within the first 20 overs which is just taking the piss.

In some of the tests, the South Africans got reverse even sooner than that.

Cricket: Everyone's a cheating oval office!

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Australia going at 6 an over, England below 4, bazball in shambles

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Australia's margin of victory more than doubles with Smith as captain rather than Cummins.

Make him captain again*

*not a real request

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

fuckpot posted:

If a fielding team reviews and a front foot no ball is detected do they lose the review?

Airstream Driver posted:

I think the no ball is supposed to be detected before the review takes place.

Yeah, because if the ump on field had called it a no-ball, they wouldn't have reviewed, so when that happens it's not out obviously but the fielding team keeps their review

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Airstream Driver posted:

Phwoar think we might be in trouble here lads

If Smith goes brrrrr we should be fine, if he actually is mortal now, yeah, poo poo's hosed.

He will get more rope, but Warner is done, time for the T20 retirement home

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Mister Chief posted:

Not a single post about NZs huge effort against Pakistan. Jealousy rearing its ugly head once again in the cricket thread.

Not sure why we'd talk about minnows running 8th in the ICC test championship.

Teams behind the windies in tournaments don't get much coverage you know?

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

gay picnic defence posted:

I wasn't expecting much from the Windies but to see the Saffers capitulate against an injured lineup like that is pretty meh.

Hopefully the lack of competition doesn't cause complacency leading into the upcoming series.

The difference between this saffer side and say, this one https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/south-africa-tour-of-australia-2012-13-572992/australia-vs-south-africa-2nd-test-573008/full-scorecard, is staggering.

In that one they lasted 148 overs to force a draw*, after Australia did some proto bazball in the first innnings and Siddle bowled himself to death to get them, although assisted by James "darrens bro" Pattinson dying in the first innings.

And here there are two run-outs while hoping for a draw and the tail just slogged and gave wickets away. Shameful display

* helped by Wade dropping at least two catches

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

webmeister posted:

Is this the match where Ponting fell over as he got bowled

That's the one! Went to the hotel that night and told his wife his career was over too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaquBcPcmlA

therattle posted:

Was that one of those partnerships that goes something like JPD 131, Extras 27, Steyn 22?

Actually, Steyn made 76! https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/south-africa-tour-of-australia-2008-09-351609/australia-vs-south-africa-2nd-test-351682/full-scorecard

And featuring one of the funniest missed catches of all time, although Hussey probably still has nightmares about it! Video title is misleading, imo it doesn't count as a drop if you never touch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYr1Y_u18uc

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Dysgenesis posted:

Laxman's 281 is the most dominant test innings I have ever seen. Even more so than Lara's big 2 against England.

Especially when you take into account match and series situation and the quality of the opposition, yeah.

Best innings of my lifetime. The way he would dance down the wicket to hit balls Warne was landing in the rough outside leg stump along the ground through the covers for 4 with complete control was otherworldly.

Laxman may not have been a great for his career, but against Australia he sure was.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Yeah, I think the rule is if the ball touches someone or something that isn't a fielder and is outside a boundary, that's it.

Otherwise you'd have silly situations like if a batter hit a six into the upper deck and the fielding team trying to rules lawyer that it hadn't hit the ground yet, look how high it is!

I know rugby league has a rule about people/objects outside the field of play counting as the "ground", so for instance when someone kicks for touch of a penalty it's out once someone in the grandstand catches it, even if it technically hasn't hit the ground.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
I know the commentators think they have to fill space, but the channel 7 guys even raising the possibility that Cummins wouldn't enforce the follow-on is literally the dumbest commentary I have ever heard.

Like, your knowledge of cricket would have to be negative to think he would bat again "Hey, let's waste some of the very few overs we have left on batting for no reason"

Mother of god

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
imo, all three of the catches this match denied by the third umpire were out, but he hasn't made a mistake, I think the process is just flawed.

They probably need to find a process where those ones are given, like saying, "yeah, the fingers might be split and the grass underneath can touch the ball, but the fingers are under it, good enough, out"

On the other hand, Nathan Lyon might snap and kill someone soon, so maybe it's good they said not out

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Looking at the other spin options available in Australia and the pickings are slim.

Chris Green? Only played a couple of FC games.

Mitch Swepson? Seems he didn't impress in Pakistan/Sri Lanka last year seeing as they went with Agar for the SCG

Corey Rocchiccioli? Who the gently caress is Corey Rocchiccioli?

Spin bowling, either playing it or bowling it doesn't seem to be Australia's go.

If you really want to be scared about the tours to India and England this year, only three current players have made test hundreds in either of those countries. Steve Smith, Glenn Maxwell* and Matthew Wade** and only one of those is going to tour there.

I'm saying both India and England will murder Australia regardless of who get's picked as second spinner for India.

*1 hundred in India, injured and wouldn't be selected anyway

**2 hundreds in England, done for tests, they'll never pick him again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
I was trying to figure it out and then heard that the host broadcaster is the one who decides those awards.

Which is Fox Sports, who just signed Warner to do commentary for them in the future. Nothing sus!

It doesn't matter but it is really funny, if they just gave it to Head or Cummins or Smith everyone just shrugs and says "yeah, ok" but now people are all wtf, hilarious.

Shades of Billy Slater getting man of the series in Origin in 2018