Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
If the pitch is unfit for play, it's unfit for play.

But why are the umpire's even listening to Smith or Root?

Their reasons for wanting to play/not play have nothing to do with the pitch and should be ignored.

If the water on the pitch was the same, but Enlgand needed 50 to win with 10 in hand, Smith and Roots positions would be reversed.

Ideally the umpires should tell both captains where to stick their opinions but that would require the umpires having a spine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
I think it was out, but there was no way in hell it was going to be given, lots of doubt

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
No wonder Gary is smashing MMarshs ex, the big unit is no match for the GOAT

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Wait what? Is this real?

There have been reports in lovely newspapers that Lyon has split from the mum of his kids and been seen with a MMarsh ex.

Barmy Army have a song about it.

They’re all adults and I don't care.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
I don't think Anderson has been out this series yet.

Maybe put him up the order?

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Airstream Driver posted:

Not sure England have ever won 5-0

They haven't. Aus in 1920/21, 06/07 and 13/14 only.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Oz selectors should troll and pick like, Henriques and Mennie for the last two tests to see what kind of poo poo can beat England. If the Marshes can do it...

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
I've been joking about Root being a confirmed fraud, but he might want to consider scoring a shitload of runs.

I know the rest of the team might be a bunch of losers, but he's the best batsman and needs to do something.

Australia lost 2-1 in India earlier this year and it was bad, the batsman as a whole had no loving idea, Warner was terrible in particular.

BUT, they did make 4 centuries, or rather, Maxwell made one and Smith made three. So you know, it could have been worse.

Root should consider emulating Smith, to try to avoid the worst . I think Cook might be done, and like Warner in India will not score runs, so it's up to Root.

Malan, Stoneman and Vince have been good.

Ali doesn't seem to like Australia much.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
I understand the risk of injury and death, but are we seriously suggesting that the batsmen are the ones who are poorly served by crickets rules?

Not the bowlers who have to run in and bowl on roads? Maybe there would be less bouncers if they played on greentops?

If the ball is moving around no bowler is going to waste it by banging it in halfway down, liven up the pitches I say.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

runoverbobby posted:

Australia scored 435 and 340 in two of the bodyline innings.

England didn't bowl Bodyline for 100% of the innings, only for certain spells.

With the new ball for example, they would bowl conventionally until the shine was gone. One of the bowlers, Gubby Allen, didn't bowl bodyline at all as he refused on moral grounds. Australians could score runs in bodyline, just not when there where bodyline fields.

When Bert Oldfield got hit in the head in Adelaide, that wasn't bowling with a bodyline field for example. If you watch the footage, the bowler was bowling over the wicket with a normal field.. It was just a conventional short ball, but nobody was caring by that stage.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
I still maintain that bowlers would pitch it up more to attack the edge and the stumps if the pitches were greener and offered movement. It's the constant bowling on roads offering jack poo poo to the bowlers so all they have left is the bouncer.

If I was a captain and I had a green top to bowl on, I would personally execute any bowler who wasted it by bowling too short.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Don't know why Wolverine was commentating, but I'll take him over Warne anyday.

What a useless loving road this pitch is. It's poo poo like this that will kill test cricket.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
England well on top IMO, there's nothing wrong with this pitch.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Did a man with "100" written on his shirt kill Joe Root's parents?

His problem seems pathological.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
It's been a while since I played cricket, but I never had a situation where I hit the ball but didn't know it. How could both Vince and Malan gently caress it up? Are the gloves too thick nowdays, so they can't feel the vibration?

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Shmoses posted:

How would you know if you’d hit it and didn’t know?

...poo poo, you're right. Maybe we've all been hitting balls and not knowing all along.

Still seems weird it got hosed up twice in the one innings.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Lol Malan was hit outside the line as well. Ignoring that he should have reviewed, that's really poo poo umpiring.

gently caress Ali is lucky.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Drop Smith immediately.

Maxwell would have caught that.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Yeah, I think that 181 in Perth is going to gently caress Australia. It will buy Marsh so much time.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
I'd like to tattoo "Bowl at the loving stumps" on the inside of the Aussies eyelids.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
No replay showed the ball hitting the ground, so they had to stick with the on field signal.

Which is bullshit because I don't think the on field umpire's had any clue the ball had popped out.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Both Smith and Root should have their reviewing privileges revoked.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Ball tampering, tsk tsk.

Australia take the lead in the moral ashes.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
I know it's been said, but Dave Warner is the dumbest motherfucker alive.

What a terrible shot.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Why didnt he just play the ball on its merits. It was the first ball off roots bowling he faced

G____ P___ Y___ S____ M___

You solve the puzzle!

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
...And thats why Warners shot was so dumb, England into the tail now.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
What a world we live in. Mitch Marsh is more sensible than Warner.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Grounds get fined for having pitches that have too much going on and teams getting bowled out for 80, but like this pitch is worse. They should absolutely get fined for this poo poo.

At least if it was a minefield there would be a result, rather than calling it off early because gently caress this stupid pitch.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Not to mention, in the Oval Test Smith made 143 and England were bowled out for 149 and 286.

If it was a road, they must have been really poo poo.

For the stats to mean anything, you would have to compare them to all the other batsmen who also played in the same tests, to see if there really is a variance.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Don't know how to find that, but I just had a look at the stats of the other batsmen to play in all 9 of those matches (excluding bowlers like Lyon and Broad).

poo poo Pitches
Smith 138 @ 17.25, 0 100s, 0 50s
Warner 212 @26.50, 0 100s, 3 50s.
Cook 169 @24.14, 0 100s, 0 50s.
Root 425 @ 70.83, 2 100s, 2 50s. (only 2 scores under 50 in these tests, 38* and 9)
Ali 189 @ 31.50, 0 100s, 2 50s.

Good Pitches
Smith 974 @ 194.80, 5 100s, 2 50s (his lowest score from these tests was 58)
Warner 530 @ 75.71, 1 100s, 4 50s.
Cook 488 @ 61.00, 1 100s, 2 50s (the 244* really helped here)
Root 196 @21.78, 0 100s, 2 50s
Ali 213 @ 23.67, 0 100s, 0 50s.

So Smith was far and away the worst on the "bad" pitches, but also far and away the best on the "good". Root did really well on the poo poo ones, but quite poor on the "good". What I'm saying here is that how good the pitch is seems to be solely judged by how many Smith made. What that bloke has done is just put all the tests smith failed into one group and all the ones he succeeded in into another.

If you isolate a players low scores, then the average for that group will be low and the high scoring games will have a high average, this doesn't really prove anything. In the first test Clarke had some stupid stat like "If Smith reaches 20, his average is 90!", which only proves that your average goes up when you remove your low scores.

Seeing as these "bad" pitches are mixed across 2 different countries and 2 different series, I think it just proves that Smith and Root scores their most runs when the other one fails. Game situation might have something to do with it.

garycoleisgod fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Dec 30, 2017

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Burn Down Canberra posted:

I mean you can poke holes into everyones record. A lot matters in the context of the match. Id rate roots 100 at Cardiff over his 100 at Trent Bridge even if the Trent Bridge pitch was harder. Australia was terrible at Trent Bridge and Root came in at 3-96 after Australia was bowled out for 60. Where at Cardiff he came in at 3-46 and played the innings that would win England the game (even if haddin dropped him)

A lot of Smiths 100s come when Australia wins test matches and that is pretty useful

It depends on what this bloke is saying with his analysis. I think these stats just prove that if Smith doesn't score runs, Australia are pretty hosed, as they lost 3 of the 4 "bad" tests where Smith failed (Shaun Marsh being the only Aussie to score a 100 in those 4 tests, leading Australia to victory?! What universe are we in?).

If he is saying Smith only scores runs when it's easy, I think he missed the Indian tour at the start of the year. Check out this scorecard for fucks sake, flat track bully my rear end.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/10839/scorecard/1062573/india-vs-australia-1st-test-ind-v-aus-2016-17/

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Andrew Samson is a Saffer

It's a statistical oddity, he's a cricket statistician. If you think he picks and chooses things to try and make England/English players look good, think again.

I don't think he is being biased against Australia, I just think that particular set of stats is actually useless for analysis. All he has done is pick out 9 tests two years and two continents apart and split them into two groups. 1) Matches in which Smith made runs 2) Matches in which Smith didn't make runs.
This gives the shocking result that in matches where Smith made runs, his average is huge & in matches where he didn't his average is terrible. No poo poo sherlock. You would be better of trying to determine when Smith made his runs, was his team in trouble or was he scoring a third innings 100 to pad his stats when his team was already well in front? (cough Warner cough) The 102* Smith made in the Boxing day test is only his 3rd second innings 100, out of 23 total. He scores 1st innnings runs to set up the match.
If you look at Root's stats from the same matches, he average in the 70s in Smith's bad matches and 21 in Smith's good matches. All this seems to be saying to me is Smith and Root scoring runs are vital to their teams success, but saying that a team will rely on their star batsmen is a "grass is green, water is wet" level of analysis.

If he had divided those same 9 matches into groups of 1) Matches Australia won 2)Matches Australia lost/drew, he would have gotten:
Wins
Matches 5 Innings 7 Not Outs 1 Runs 842 H.S. 239 Av 168.4 4 100s 1 50
Losses/Draws
Matches 4 Innings 8 Not Outs 1 Runs 270 H.S. 102* Av 38.57 1 100s 1 50s

Still a big divide in performance, but not as big as the one he posted, and a more accurate picture of how Australia struggle when Smith fails.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I think you're underestimating quite how enormous an average 198.40 is over 5 tests. The highest average you can get Root to is only 130, and that's by taking his 130 innings on its own.

Yes, a batsman averaging 190+ over a 5 test series would be insane, but that's not what happens here. It's just "5 tests in which Smith made a 100, two years apart", of course his average is huge (The 141* and 102* also really help boost the average too).
Root may not have made huge scores like Smith (who made 215 and 239 in those five tests too), but his two hundreds in 2015 arguably won England those matches and thus the Ashes, given the game situation when he made them - especially the 134 in Cardiff, when Smith could only make 33 in each innings.

Over these 2 series Smith has succeeded more often than Root, but I would say they are both equally vital to team victory. If Smith had only made 3 fifties in this series like Root has, Australia would probably be hosed. If Root had turned his 51 in Brisbane and 67 in Adelaide into 150+ scores, England would have probably won those matches. The big divide between the two isn't 50+ scores, (Smith 45 from 110 innings, Root 48 from 117) it's turning those into hundreds, Smith has 23, Root only 13.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

BrigadierSensible posted:

That was one of the things that surprised me about the Warne/Samuels ugliness.

Not that there was ugliness, as both players are match fixing cheating arseholes, but that they chose to get so lovely at each other in a game with such low personal stakes as a meaningless BBL game.

I understand tempers running high, and maybe boiling over if you are playing for your country, and have scored a gently caress off century, or just broken a critical partnership, but a BBL game where both of you are non-international mercenaries? (I forget if Samuels was still playing for WI at the time)

I might be mis-remembering but I think Warne said later that his team was playing badly and he did that poo poo deliberately to try to fire them up and get them playing well.
Which I think is much worse than Warne just being genuinely angry about something, he's just being a dick for tactical advantage.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
I'm mostly confused as to how Pakistan played 107 matches in that time frame, they don't seem to play that much cricket.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Also, I got really bored at work and based on the Smith stats posted a few days ago, tried to figure out how much batsmen average when their team wins/loses/draws etc. I picked 15 random players I could think up in 30 seconds and tried to see if there was a pattern. There was:
1) Batsmen average a lot in wins and draws (Steve Waugh excepted, he was poo poo in draws)
2) Batsmen average badly when their team loses (Bradman and Lara excepted, although in Lara's case it was because he lost nearly half the tests he played, he must have hated his teammates). Greg Chappell and Garry Sobers were both really poo poo when they lost, which surprised me. Anyway, here are the averages:

Overall
Bradman, Don 99.94 (52 Matches)
Smith, Steve 63.55 (60)
Hammond, Wally 58.45 (85)
Sobers, Garry 57.78 (93)
Chappell, Greg 53.86 (87)
Tendulkar, Sachin 53.78 (200)
Kohli, Virat 53.75 (63)
Lara, Brian 52.88 (131)
Root, Joe 52.45 (64)
Dravid, Rahul 52.31 (164)
Ponting, Ricky 51.85 (168)
Waugh, Steve 51.06 (168)
Williamson, Kane 50.62 (63)
Pieterson, Kevin 47.28 (104)
Cook, Alastair 46.52 (151)

InWins
Bradman, Don 130.08 (30)
Smith, Steve 84.02 (30)
Sobers, Garry 77.42 (31)
Root, Joe 75.40 (25)
Williamson, Kane 71.52 (23)
Chappell, Greg 70.49 (38)
Hammond, Wally 69.83 (29)
Waugh, Steve 69.46 (86)
Dravid, Rahul 65.78 (56)
Tendulkar, Sachin 61.93 (72)
Lara, Brian 61.02 (32)
Ponting, Ricky 59.46 (108)
Kohli, Virat 58.36 (31)
Pieterson, Kevin 58.01 (42)
Cook, Alastair 55.85 (62)

In Losses
Bradman, Don 43.27 (12)
Lara, Brian 42.19 (63)
Waugh, Steve 37.77 (36)
Tendulkar, Sachin 37.16 (56)
Ponting, Ricky 32.83 (31)
Kohli, Virat 32.50 (15)
Root, Joe 32.34 (25)
Smith, Steve 31.90 (22)
Cook, Alastair 29.88 (51)
Dravid, Rahul 29.87 (49)
Hammond, Wally 29.19 (18)
Pieterson, Kevin 28.25 (31)
Williamson, Kane 27.58 (24)
Sobers, Garry 27.10 (25)
Chappell, Greg 25.73 (19)

In Draws/Other
Bradman, Don 111.90 (10)
Smith, Steve 108.09 (8)
Kohli, Virat 73.09 (17)
Lara, Brian 71.30 (36)
Hammond, Wally 70.86 (38)
Sobers, Garry 70.40 (37)
Williamson, Kane 69.42 (16)
Tendulkar, Sachin 65.41 (72)
Dravid, Rahul 64.80 (59)
Cook, Alastair 60.10 (38)
Root, Joe 59.25 (14)
Chappell, Greg 59.00 (30)
Pieterson, Kevin 56.61 (31)
Ponting, Ricky 52.02 (29)
Waugh, Steve 35.98 (46)

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
For a supposedly good catcher Smith misses a lot of catches

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
That last 5 minutes really ruined Englands day, they could get rolled for <280 tomorrow.
I am more certain than ever Root must have some mental barrier or issue, not going on has gotten ridiculous for him.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Australia have been the better team in every department this series EXCEPT catching, they've missed like 10 chances, loving awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Good to see Australia haven't learnt anything and are just going to bounce the tail endlessly