Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Tell me more :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Seams posted:

Apparently the commentary team are on a tirade against boundary ropes? Peak Channel 9.
It was literally only Slater who's mad cause he would have scored probably 2000 more runs with boundary ropes

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Why do England have such abysmal odi all time run scorers. England's number one would be Australia's 13th or so.

Shane Watson would hold England's record by 400 runs.
Ricky Ponting has bearly three times as many runs as Collingwood, it's crazy. They seem to play far less games though

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Doctor Cave posted:

I'm curious why Langer retired after getting 50
Weird that this video should come up, my mate and I watched this an hour or so ago. Anyway the reason Langer retired was because that was the rule of that Mickey Mouse Super 8s comp they were playing. Same way he was getting 8 for balls hit over the fence

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Dumb Username posted:

So, "Good" length is now "Salmon" length? gently caress you, Channel 9.

Yeah what a joke. I hate this commentary team

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Why do the selectors insist on going for proven losers. Like white and darsh.
White is a good one day bat, deserved a chance

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

IceAgeComing posted:

i'm still in shock that england managed to hit over 300
They should have made over 330, after their start 303 was a hugely disappointing total

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Lionel Richie posted:

They use the host broadcaster feed, which is Sky in this case, but they've got actual commentators live throughout the day and do their own interviews and whatnot, so it must be a pretty major operation considering it's all for one hour of highlights, especially when play is still going on when the show actually starts.
This is a really interesting article about the Durham test in 2013 which ended during 5's highlights show.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

dusty posted:

Who is going to any WCC games?

I'm seeing Eng v NZ in the pool matches and the Wellington quarter-final. I loving hate limited over cricket, and the Wellington stadium is a real poo poo spectator experience. Hooray!
I'm going to the Aus v England opener, South Africa v India and the final. Paid through the nose for the final ticket but should be worth it

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Varkk posted:

I remember everyone say that about Flemming.

To be fair he did end up as NZ's highest run scorer. 9 tons and 46 fifties though...

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Shahid Afridi's been doing this poo poo for twenty years. He's like the ODI OG. He's so authentic I'm surprised hipsters haven't tried to appropriate him

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

RideTheSpiral posted:

I think the worst part about the Australian commentators is their complete lack of knowledge about any players that aren't Australian. It's pathetic.
It is isn't it. Chappell is actually pretty good but the rest are disgraceful. Mark Nicholas has no excuse, he writes for cricinfo and broadcasts cricket around the world

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Scylo posted:

Part of me is hoping that Channel Nine have a wider variety of commentators for the world cup. No reason they couldn't have a guest commentator for every single match Australia play but they probably won't bother
The only games we'll have to deal with Channel 9 commentators will be the Australia games, they're not covering the other ones. I imagine it will be Sky's commentary team for most games.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

That last six Faulkner hit was crazy.
That one that he hit baseball style from above his eye level that went flat and straight was ridiculous. Looked like he got none of it but it went massive

Beffer posted:

What's Faulkner like in first class cricket? Could he be a test all rounder? He has such a fantastic mental game that it seems to me that he should be able to handle longer matches but I don't see his name mentioned for test selection. (Instead we Maxwell for one game.)

Well gently caress. Cricinfo stats:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/player/270484.html

First class batting average 32
First class bowling average 24

One very good test although no idea who the opposition were. 45 runs and 6 wickets.

He's 24 and from the home of Boony and Ponting. Why isn't he playing test cricket?
Not sure he's a good enough bat for the top six or seven - no tons in first class cricket yet - and he certainly can't replace any of our quicks. Also that one test was the Oval test in 2013 wasn't it?

That could be any nation but if you mean south Africa then yeah. They play well in Australia.
I think their lack of bowling depth will be exposed by the good sides. With that said though their batting lineup is outrageous and they only really need one of AB, Amla or du Plessis to light up in the knock out games and they're well on the way

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
A friend of mine plays in the F grade of the local comp. It's mostly very ordinary players, hungover old blokes and under 14s kids. This round they were bowled out for 176, and then the other side made 8/476 in reply. One bloke made a ton after they got the runs, and blokes were walking down the pitch to hit 13 year olds for six. Pretty pathetic stuff

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Doesn't the local association grade people. That's silly.
I assumed so but maybe not? It's just so douchey. Surely you either go for the outright or just call it off? No point demoralising kids in F grade

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
It was the second day of a two day game. They'd won when they passed the other team's score. They weren't going for an outright, nor do they get points for extra runs. They were just being dicks

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
I get the feeling Woakes will be a bust here whereas the harder bouncier wickets would suit Stokes

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Ewar Woowar posted:

Kane is going to become NZ's best ever batsman imo
Surely only a massive injury can stop him

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Doctor Cave posted:

It's actually about ethics in cricket journalism.

Yeah let's not turn this into GamerGate guys

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

RideTheSpiral posted:

If anyone has ever watched Australian football they will know just how retarded commentary can be.
This is extremely true, they've hit new unfathomable lows in the last couple of years

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

nzspambot posted:

Sounds a lot like brawshaw

HE'S A MASSIVE MAN

Would it shock you to learn that they commentated on the same radio station for years

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
http://youtu.be/19lLBjAfIjI

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Mister Chief posted:

The graphics package for the world cup is loving ugly.

Looks like a video game

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

iajanus posted:

Is this on TV somewhere in Australia?
The warm up games are not. For some reason it was broadcast into NZ, but their own ones aren't.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Apparently Brad McNamara comments on Gideon Haigh's blog when he thinks Gideon's bashing Channel 9:

http://blogs.theaustralian.news.com.au/cutsandglances/index.php/theaustralian/comments/night_shift/

quote:

Same Old 9 Bashing
Fri 06 Feb 15 (03:22pm)
Been wondering how long your agenda driven 9 bashing would take - where have you been all summer? I suppose if you think incessantly annoying shots every second ball of the commentators in a disco setting and discussing a seagull for the first 10 overs of a semi final among many other things is non indulgent - you’re probably right. We won’t even get into the true difference in broadcast quality, feature interviews, expert analysis or the amount of dismissals missed due to poor camera work. I doubt you would know the difference as you are blinded by your pitiful agenda. You want indulgent, let’s critique some of the pompous rubbish you have tossed out there this summer. Need examples? Let’s begin by debating some of the comments above?

http://blogs.theaustralian.news.com.au/cutsandglances/index.php/theaustralian/comments/silent_running/desc

quote:

Gideon 9 bashing - again
Thu 10 Oct 13 (08:35am)
The self appointed conscience of Australian Cricket has spoken again, As always, everyone is entitled to their opinion, however, the last piece of advice Ch9 would be giving David in regards his appearances on TV would be anything from Gideon Haig. Our feedback has been the total opposite in regards having David join us yesterday. Many found it intresting to actually hear his thoughts on various aspects of the game rather than reading boring and predictable print articles or faceless blogs (sound familiar) or watching him at a distance through a helmet..You keep the audio down Gideon, maybe you can commentate to yourself in the mirror and then you will be happy to be heard by the one person in Australian cricket who truly cares about your opinion, yourself.

quote:

9 Bashing
Thu 10 Oct 13 (09:27pm)
The Australlian is a great publication, I read it every day. Unfortunately, I don’t get to choose certain columnists in certain areas that interest me, such as Cricket. A bit like watching a TV broadcast I would reckon, not that hard to skip the bits that you don’t like, just turn the page or change the channel and get on with life. Only reason I would ever have to read one your diatribes is when I am mentioned personally or my employer Ch9 via Google search. I would generally pass otherwise. Dave and I will be sure to give you a cheerio on air tomorrow, better have the captions on so you can see it!

This goes a long way to explaining why 9's coverage is the way it is and refuses to consider improving

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
I'm at the UAE v Aus warm up game. UAE have a player named Krishna Karate

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Mister Chief posted:

What happens if there is a draw in the world cup final?
A super over (I am not joking)

EDIT: http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci-icc/content/current/story/825015.html

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Seams posted:

Super-overs are dumb but there isn't really a better solution other than playing the whole game again.
I'd have been happy with joint winners

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

gabensraum posted:

Just not cricket – how Channel Nine is destroying a legacy (Geoff Lemon)
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/feb/13/channel-nine-destroying-cricket-legacy

Have there been any articles from people actually sticking up for the channel nine approach?

This article is spot on.. Geoff Lemon is a great writer (and a product of my high school actually). The McNamara stuff is particularly unhinged, I'd read the Gideon Haigh comments, but the Roar article that he references is a level above. It's literally one throwaway line and McNamara comes in to mercilessly slate the guy:

quote:

Daniel Who? And described as a Pro! But for Google Alert I wouldn’t even know you existed, just like 99.9% of the rest of the population. Good mate of mine Hadds, I’m sure he won’t mind being ‘consigned’ to life in the commentary box with us. Let’s hope he’s at least a year away from that. We could always provide him with the option of being a whining, faceless and totally irrelevant blogger ‘consigned’ to a life of obscurity operating on the outskirts of mainstream media just wishing and hoping one day to be noticed and made relevant. Bottom line, we all have a right to an opinion, just that no one important gives a rats about yours!

Keep in mind that most of the articles at The Roar - including this guy's - are sourced from readers and very few columnists are professional or paid. Classy stuff from the head of cricket at Channel 9.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

This is amazing. I also suspects he edits his own wikipedia entry:

or maybe Brad Haddin does - I hear they're great mates

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Drugs posted:

Is Brad McNamara the one that commentated in the Matador BBQs One Day Cup and spent the whole time telling poo poo anecdotes about his mediocre cricketing career instead of talking about what was happening in the game?
That is correct. Every other anecdote is about his Sydney grade cricket days

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Putting Smith was a pure piss take

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Haha perfect finish

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Surely it's dead after he's given out? This is silly

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Seams posted:

I think we're glossing over the weirdest thing in the match which was Marsh taking a 5-for.
He had six ODI wickets before today...

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
South Africa will still make 330+ here

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Davfff posted:

just want to draw attention to this post again lool
330 was clearly wrong but wouldn't rule out 300

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

MacDougall posted:

The cost of broadcasting sports in HD on their secondary digital networks are greater than the money their advertisers would be willing to pay for slots on a secondary channel once they realise the Australian TV audience wouldn't watch games not involving Australia. Compared with the cost of $0 for pulling a lovely old re-run out of the library of crap with lovely advertisers that pay them too much for the slot, it's probably financially not entirely stupid compared to the possible risk of making more money broadcasting Zimbabwe vs. Bermuda to an audience of 5,000 and pissing off their advertisers who get no return on investment, if they can even convince any advertisers to pay premium for sports because if they can't then they run the risk of devaluing the advertising on their telecasts entirely because they'd have to drop the costs which could set a dangerous precedent for the rest of their coverage. Casual Australian cricket fans won't watch other teams play unless there is nothing else on. During the weekdays the viewing figures would suuuuck and during the night they have to compete with the latest episode of My Kitchen Rules and poo poo. They are still co-facilitating the broadcasts for international markets so then again you're probably right.

Of course all that aside, it's probably wrong and Nine are probably just run by monkeys pushing buttons.

This is pretty much spot on. They don't want to put cricket on in prime time every night because it's not worth the money to them.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

webmeister posted:

big bats these days mate i tell ya what
One of Simmons' sixes went 59 metres :lol:

gabensraum posted:

When I was a kid the rule of thumb was, unless a lot of wickets had fallen, you'd double the score at 30 overs gone to get an idea of the total. I haven't looked at recent trends but wouldn't be surprised if half the winner's score is made at about 35 overs gone now.
Anecdotally I'd say this holds up dependent on wickets. With Australia I'd say this holds up regardless of wickets if they bat the fifty overs out.

gabensraum posted:

I was about to suggest that the score required under Duckworth-Lewis should the heavens upon up immediately is probably the best way to see how a team is going.
Then I wondered if D/L needs to be reexamined to take this brave new post-T20 world into account, or whether the maths behind it makes that irrelevant.
Actually, an American mathematician is named Steve Stern is helping to revise the system because one of Duckworth or Lewis is retiring.

EDIT: Apparently it gets revised every two years: http://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-series/cricket-news/69983/introducing-duckworth-lewis-stern-method

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

IceAgeComing posted:

is there a reason bar "We need an India-Pakistan game!!!" that they don't go for a four groups of four thing? They did it in 2007 and that was a very bad tournament, but that was for reasons other than the structure (although the super 8s are lovely)

India and Pakistan both got knocked out early and it cost the ICC eyes on TVs in the subcontinent, so they've had to safeguard against it in future events. The next one has a round-robin format with just ten teams - that way India can play at least nine games, growing the game in associate nations be damned