Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

zakharov posted:

How could you not mention Ireland defeating Pakistan in 2006 followed by the coach turning up dead?

Anyway, hooray for a new thread. Boo to the World Cup being in a time zone that makes it effectively impossible for anyone on US Eastern Time to watch a game.

I will be happy to be the token supporter of India, but I am a filthy American who only support India because that's where I learned the rules of the game, and I'm also woefully uninformed. Why is the team so bad lately anyway?

Yeah like BDC said they're not bad just widely consistent away from home. They just got completely steamrolled by England in an ODI. Primarily by two English bowlers, one of whom whose name has been a punchline for the past few years and another who is playing his first real match in ages. And this after a relatively competitive Test series against Australia in Australia and almost sneaking away with a win in the first ODI against Australia the other day.

The again these days everybody is wildly inconsistent away from home. Go for Pakistan instead.

Seams fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
drat I never realised how good a ball it was that bowled Ponting in that .gif.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
The ECB is like bizarro-Cricket Australia in that they will dump their most successful batsman ever for minor indiscretions while CA just lets their players do whatever they want even if they're not that good.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
England doing pretty good against Australia A here

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Apparently the commentary team are on a tirade against boundary ropes? Peak Channel 9.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Why do England have such abysmal odi all time run scorers. England's number one would be Australia's 13th or so.

Shane Watson would hold England's record by 400 runs. The ECB hates success.

Whenever an England batsman gets good, they get rid of him.

I tend to agree with them. Ali hit a 69m six. that's silly.

It's safer for the players having a boundary rope.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Bellerive is a pretty small ground but I'll live with a few top-edged sixes if it means players aren't getting serious injuries

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Remember that Cummins is a really fast bowler and it would be easier to get a top-edge six from him than say Sandhu

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

EMC posted:

Somehow stumbled across this beauty on Youtube, now that is some serious hitting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2bkBC8niAI

God it's nice listening to cricket when the commentators aren't loving screaming after every ball.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Its not a bad bet. The Australian batting lineup is flimsy as heck.

If England can get Smith cheaply they'll be good. I don't rate a batting lineup of White, Fince, Smarsh and Maxwell.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Australia to get skittled for 250

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

IceAgeComing posted:

the gently caress happened

i go away for two minutes and it goes from "australia are walking to this" to "ONE NEEDED OFF TWO!!!"

this happens when you have scrubs like henriques and white in the team

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Broad left the last ball of the innings and tried to run a bye. England ODI tactics.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I wish I could just subscribe to some kind of ICC Network through my Apple TV or something that lets me watch cricket no matter who is playing and where.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Thinking of going to India v Pakistan at Adelaide

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Halo14 posted:

Those patches of un-cut grass next to the pitch are driving me crazy, mild OCD or something. I can't be the only one noticing it.

Is that what those were? Looked like piles of leaves to me.

Disappointed its not a Strikes/Scorches final. :(

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Australia beat England with a batting B-team and is now seeing if they can beat India with a bowling B-team I guess.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
sydney is a trash heap city

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Quasimango posted:

The ICC has put up their World Cup Fantasy tournament for those who are interested.

Shane Watson has the second highest value in it.

Watto is and always has been a quality ODI player. It's Tests he's unsuitable for.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
StuBro is actually committed to Maoism Third-Worldism so good on him

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
India trying their best to ruin ODI cricket now that they're poo poo at it

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
India really struggle against part-time spin and plodding medium pacers I guess

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
The Finnaissance continues

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Praying for an English collapse to make this match entertaining

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
itshappening.gif

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I wonder if they'll flatten out the pitch for the final

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
They're saying Henriques will replace Faulkner if he's still injured? Please be fit, Jimmy :(

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Shmoses posted:

Surely only a massive injury can stop him

what about ~~australian conditions!!~~

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Does this count as a List A game or does it have full ODI status?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Already two down for gently caress all.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Honestly don't know what to make of these warm-up games. Seems a bit much to draw too many conclusions from them IMO.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Worst one is the grey one from 2006. Awful.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Super-overs are dumb but there isn't really a better solution other than playing the whole game again.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Spedman posted:

I honestly thought the worst one was England/Broad, he looks like his mum just told him couldn't have a Freddo at the supermarket.

thats just how broad looks

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

gabensraum posted:

Just not cricket – how Channel Nine is destroying a legacy (Geoff Lemon)
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/feb/13/channel-nine-destroying-cricket-legacy

Have there been any articles from people actually sticking up for the channel nine approach?

Even just getting rid of Brayshaw would be a massive improvement. Slater and Taylor etc can all be good commentators if the culture was different, but Brayshaw needs to gently caress off forever.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Is India v Pakistan not on FTA? gently caress this.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Only the Australian games are on FTA. Its incredibly lame.

Are they all on Foxtel? Torrenting can't kill that company fast enough.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

EMC posted:

You will see most of it on the news when the fans tear Adelaide oval apart

I had no idea the game sold out in 20 minutes and went looking to see if I could buy a ticket the other day.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I think we're glossing over the weirdest thing in the match which was Marsh taking a 5-for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Good. Jos is a dumb name.