Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I haven't watched test cricket in years but this is pretty good to have on while I'm at work. Quick question: is this guy Lyon intentionally just wasting balls so they get back to Smith without the risk of getting out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

enjoying this bowler. guy throws gas.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

cant they bring back the good guy with the concussion? how bad can it really be just give him some intense sun glasses like old people with cataracts wear

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

poor guy got all dressed up with his nice sweater only to face 2 balls.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

watching this dork just try to stay alive while the ginger is raking is amazing.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

holy poo poo this is wild

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

this guy loving owns

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

lol at them stopping play so this dork can wipe is glasses

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

steve smith got hit on the dick and the 3rd umpire basically had to narrate it because they reviewed if it was lbw. good stuff overall including Pandya winning dramatically

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

After watching a bunch of T20 stuff in October/November I've been getting more into the longer formats, as I can now record them and watch them on and off the next day. It's been pretty fun and I'm really liking it.

I recognize a lot of the guys from the IPL and The Test on Prime, but it was awesome watching Pujara just eat ball after ball. It was also cool seeing such huge swings in momentum from the opening pressure Australia had to the what followed the Kohli and Rahane partnership. I was excited to watch Smith bat but my feed cut out during the middle order of Australia and it seems he got out fairly quickly anyway. I get the Australian feed and the commentators remind me so much of Canadian hockey guys in the 90s.

Anyway, I've enjoyed reading back on all your posts 12-15 hours after the fact and I'm going to try to watch more now that I'm off work for a bit. This test cricket stuff is good poo poo.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Jesus , Australia bowling is on one

At this pace they'll win before I go to bed

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

thinking ill have nothing to watch on Sunday

Is the pitch really this weird or are the Indians just deeply rattled ?

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I really like watching Pujara and Gill and their different approaches to what looks like very good bowling.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I had the same question but I think they must really like putting the covers on and off because they've done it like 5 times in the last 20 minutes.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Jadeja has tremendous hair.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Smith is in The Zone.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Holy poo poo he gunned that.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

what a brutal drop.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I was hoping Rahane and Pujara would bat for a while so I could see it get tense late.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Washington Sundar is an all time name. WIsh him well.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Washington leaves Smith asunder

sorry

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I'm still frustrated that Sharma got out on such a stupid shot. He seemed to be on a roll and keeping the win a possibility. Now I feel like India will just try to play for a draw which I guess can be fun too but not as cool as having a win for either side in play.
Then again, I felt that way during the 3rd test and then Pant opened that window back up for a moment so at this point I'm still terrible at expecting how things will go.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

this partnership is very cool.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

lol at calling for a review then walking off before it's even halfway done

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I hope the commentator gets to the bottom of this field position choice as it seems to be causing him great distress.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I want Pujara to never get out and score 17 on 400 balls

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

that was amazing

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Now that I have fully embraced the 5 day test into my heart I have some questions about domestic first class cricket. I've read the wiki entries for County Cricket, the Ranji Trophy and the Sheffield Shield but I'ms till confused about a few things:

1) I know it may differ from country to country but in India/England/Australia are players typically assigned to first-class teams based on where they are born/reside? Or is there some sort of free agency where cricketers can play for different teams? I saw that in County Cricket they have international players too, so do they join teams made up of people from the region? Can players leave regions like NSW or Greater-Mumbai that seem to have an insane amount of good players to get more playing time somewhere else?
2) How do salaries work for this? Does the regional sports association pay the player? Do they negotiate or is it more like a pay-scale?
3) What is the type of audience or interest for these contests in India, Australia and England? Do they show these games on TV domestically? Are fans typically in attendance? Do posters here like watching these contests/are they worth checking out?
4) Do players who make the national team typically go back to playing first-class domestically?
5) How do players make first-class teams? What is the step bellow that where the players are scouted?

Sorry for all the questions but I've become a bit obsessed over the past 4 months or so and I'm really enjoying learning more.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

thanks for all the answers. clears a lot of things up. This dynamic between the different formats is very interesting.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Australia only answer

Smorgasbord posted:

The New Zealand system is similar to the Aussie and English ones presented, but:

Thanks for explaining this. Sort of feels a bit like Olympic sports where people care 10/10 for the international stuff but the lead up is only for the die-hards. But like you've all said, I guess the "need to skip work to watch" isn't a consistent way to draw fans. That said, I'm still going to try to find a stream for some 1stclass domestic stuff once it all starts back up again, just so I can get an idea of how different the game is at different levels.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

one of the things I've noticed through watching the Amazon doc and all the post match interviews with Langer is that he loves aggressively telling you how much he loves receiving feedback when it's clear he takes it very poorly and gets defensive right away. It's almost a bit out of The Office or something.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I was hoping one of the south asian Canadian channels would pick up the game so I could DVR it but it seems like they are all showing repeats or highlights of Big Bash games. Guess I'll just have to try to stay up and get it off some janky stream. Excited to learn more about the English players. I know a handful from the previous ashes but outside of Root or Stokes I can't remember watching any other of them bat.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Has there ever been a bowler who bowls fast and spin to the extent they would use both different deliveries during an innings?

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

tanglewood1420 posted:

Yeah, plenty of part timers or all-rounders have bowled both - Andrew Symonds and Colon Miller noted but they were fifth or sixth bowlers in your team.

In terms of frontline bowlers Sobers is the one. His bowling dropped off sharply towards the end of his career, but at his height in the 1960s he was legitimately one of the four or five best pace bowlers in the world, he was a big swinger of the ball. For example, he took more wickets at a better average during that period than Windies opening quick (and recognised as one of the fastest bowlers ever) Wes Hall. Then as the ball was older or of the pitch was taking turn he would bowl very competent left arm spin - he could bowl both finger spin and wrist spin too. All while being the best batsman in the world and one of the best fielders in the world.

Very interesting. Hope I get to see someone like that play. It's cool to think about a true all rounder who can literally do every job.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

This Is going to be over soon (or I hope it does before I fall asleep ). India getting out fast.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I caught the last 10 overs of the day and Root looked really good bowling.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Th Indian bowlers need to hold on a bit longer so Pant can continue
I like how aggressive he is. Fun guy.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Was Moeen Ali bowling all those full(er) tosses on purpose or did he just keep missing his length ?

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Anderson was rested, Bess was dropped.

Look inside yourself for the answer

yeah I mean obviously it doesn't seem like something you would do on purpose but at one point it felt like he was doing it once every over and then the commentator said "the fuller ball is part of his repertoire" or something like that so I wasn't fully sure what was up with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Axar has a good look.