Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Davfff posted:

got to love hayden doing the old 'foreigners have funny names' bit for the new bowler. class act.

As an American watching cricket for the first time, the casual racism of some of the commentators has really caught me off guard. We've got our own brand of it over here, obviously, but I guess I've grown used to it.

Great sport otherwise, though. I'm seriously considering dropping $100 on the ESPN streaming package so I can get HD and watch whatever match I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Davfff posted:

on another note though glad to hear some americans tuning in.

take note though, yanks have the most bad rear end cricket team in the world

That's a sweet video, I hope they got the funding they needed. My city (Indianapolis) had a massive argument when the mayor spent like $5 milion building some cricket grounds in a bad neighborhood, but it looks like we're still gonna host the "ICC Americas Division One Twenty20 tournament" which seems pretty cool.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Anyone have a decent stream? My usual site is being lovely.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Thank you!! Just in time to see that wicket!

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
So what happens if either of them can't continue? I have no idea how subs work in cricket.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Pvt. Public posted:

Everyone should watch Fire in Babylon. Even my girlfriend, that could not possibly care less about cricket, enjoyed it.

Content blocked in the US. Lame.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Why does the wicket keeper sometimes put his helmet on the ground instead of wearing it, and what happens if the ball hits it?

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Holy poo poo, I might actually be able to watch a whole match instead of getting sleepy and going to bed when the second team bats. Thanks, Scotland!

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Guptill is perfectly designed to murder associate sides.

You jinxed him!

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Is the batting order set in stone before the match starts, like in baseball? I thought it was, but something in the cricinfo commentary just suggested that is wasn't.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

The Deadly Hume posted:

Nope. You can send people in any order, usually it's done in Test matches late on a day when a nightwatchman might be sent in.

That owns. Test cricket seems cool as gently caress.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
It's not exactly England test cricket, but I went to the USA vs Bermuda ICC Americas Region Division One Twenty20 2015 match here in Indianapolis today. It was my first time seeing live cricket, and it was awesome!

The Bermuda batsmen lost wickets in just about every way possible, which was great for explaining the game to some of the spectators who had never seen cricket before. There were only around 50 of us watching, but everyone was excited and cheering. It went down to the final couple of overs, and the USA batsman hit a no-doubter 6 to end it!

I don't think I'll be able to get off work for the midweek games, but I'm hoping to go see the final USA match on Saturday. Yay cricket!

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Byolante posted:

You are enjoying cricket the right way and I am glad you had fun. Make sure next game to get everyone to create a beer snake!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKgSzT8j9XI

Holy poo poo that is amazing. They don't sell beer (or anything, actually) at these matches, but I'll have to try that at the next baseball game I go to!

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
This is the first test cricket I've seen, and the first cricket I've watched since the World Cup. It's been very entertaining!!

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
West Indies may be more likely to be in my time zone, but American cricket fans are waaaaay more likely to be Indian or Pakistani so those leagues/teams are more common on streaming or TV. At one point ESPN3 was streaming some Jamaican league but I didn’t really watch any of it.

I did go to a couple team USA matches a few years back which was cool. In an interview one of the players was like “yea it’s usually just our families in the stands so it’s nice to have some extra support” which is hilarious and great.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Whatever cricket espn does show is now behind their $5/month paywall now. I did watch the first version of the Caribbean T20 when I attended med school down there and that was rough. I doubt the franchise based one going on now is much better. And when it comes to the good ol' USA, God bless 'em, but the only news I hear about them is their board has been banned by the ICC again.

The ESPN paywall actually saves me money cause they rolled MLS Live into it and it's like $30 cheaper a year, and hopefully the fact that they're making money on their streams now will encourage them to get the rights to more events.

I don't understand any of the drama surrounding the USA cricket board and it's hard to find news articles on it cause no one in the US actually cares. At one point I think there were two different orgs claiming to represent USA cricket and they got into a big fight or something. Seems bad, just play cricket!

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Recently I have been watching some kind of Indian cricket league that inexplicably plays in Abu Dhabi, and I am delighted to announce that I am a Chennai Super Kings supporter. They're not just Kings.... they're SUPER Kings!

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

goatface posted:

Apparently there's a T20 world cup this month.

Hmm looks like Willow will be showing this in the States, but ONLY if you've got it via a cable subscription. I'm annoyed to learn that idiotic streaming blackouts aren't just limited to US sports and leagues!!

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Oh sweet, I have that!!

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Do people still call T20 the rock and roll form of the game

I dunno but I'm definitely gonna start

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I have two dumb questions:

1) If batsmen are running and fielder breaks the stumps but not in time, and then the ball careens off elsewhere, can the batsmen keep running? And if they can, how can the umpires tell if the wicket is broken on the next throw since it's already broken?

2) Do cricket bats ever break? It's relatively common in baseball but I haven't seen it happen in cricket yet

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I think I need to try catching some popped up cricket balls to see why so many fielders have problems with it. It looks incredibly easy. Are there invisible spikes on the ball or something??

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
If someone had asked me to make a list of "countries that play enough cricket to potentially make it to the Cricket World Cup" there is a zero percent chance I would have come up with The Netherlands. Good for them!!!

e: The Sri Lanka anthem is way too loving long lmao. Just do one verse, y'all

camoseven fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Oct 22, 2021

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
They're certainly getting their butts kicked right now!

e: this is pathetic lol

camoseven fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 22, 2021

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Is a powerplay a powerplay for the batters or the fielders? Like is the point to increase or decrease scoring during that timeframe?

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
That was a hell of a catch

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I'm rooting for the fat guy from Afghanistan

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Deathlove posted:

i've cursed everything. i am sorry

nah it was the announcers talking about WOW IF THEY KEEP UP THIS PACE THEY'LL BE OVER 200

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Well 190 isn't 200 but it's pretty dang good

I'm gonna need some info on how they retrieve the balls from the massive sixes that hit the roof

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
The tenor of this chase just changed REAL quick. What an impressively bowled over

E: haha oh my god Shahzad loving rules, what a catch! What a team!

camoseven fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 25, 2021

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I'm American and even I know that "p**i" isn't friendly loving banter

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
drat even cricket is getting into NFTs. When will it end!!

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I am rooting for a Pakistan/NZ final so Pakistan can get their revenge for the insulting and cowardly way NZ bailed on the ODI tour

That wicket won't help though

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

BWV posted:

Feel like Australia can chase 170 if they get through the powerplay without losing a few wickets.

How bout 176 though?

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
First ball and gone, that's gotta hurt

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Not sure I agree with that replay decision!

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Checked out for a meeting and came back to see the Aussies overcame their rough start?? Sad!

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Flayer posted:

Australia might be done for here. That Warner non-review could be the key moment.

Yea not to pile on, but choosing not to review that was a real head scratcher for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Real nailbiter here for both sides. Exciting stuff!!