Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
gently caress the haters rigor rules OK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

NIGARS posted:

What really? I have tickets to the NZ semifinal and I'm gonna be pissed off if they're playing in Australia instead. Would this require some really bizarre results to eventuate?

Australia finishes 1st, NZ 3rd in pool or Aus 2nd, NZ 4th.

Source:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Cricket_World_Cup#Knockout_stage

exmachina fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 17, 2015

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Out interfering with the field

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Stokes should have walked imo

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Ulio posted:

ONE OF THE BEST FINALS

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Whaaaaaaaaat?

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
If guppy blows this it is on Williamson

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Congrats England, you hit more boundaries than us.

well deserved etc

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Seriously tho, England played well, gutted but so proud of the lads, gg

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

garycoleisgod posted:

Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS-e68fl_XQ

Maxwell for the test team #justice4maxi.

I mean, he's better than MMarsh and you know they'll give that plonker another shot some time soon. So gently caress it, pick Maxwell.

I agree. I have never been more entertained than by cricket like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQUqjFQH-jg

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Well they did win the first ever international cricket match, right?

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
They should just steal all of Martin Crowe's ideas

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Vagabundo posted:

Windies didn't help themselves by deciding to be a bunch of stupid loving dumbfucks, costing them their ability to train.

Yeah but the Pakistanis are gonna be bigger idiots and miss the whole series

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
So the Windies have lost 15 wickets today

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

V for Vegas posted:

Rooting for WI not to be the 5th team ever bowled out twice in one day.

Well you'll be happy they put on a century partnership for the 17th wicket

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Ugh Danny Morrison wasn't a bad bowler, but the tip of anyone's spear he ain't. Our team was so bad then.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Surely ads are paid in advance, so would only affect future deals

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Smorgasbord posted:

There's a 15 year old Afghanistani kid playing in the BBL today, chinaman bowler apparently.

I will Stan for any LAU bowler (see how clunky that is?) Just because. Also would absolutely own most left hand batsmen I reckon

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Because fielding is so much harder when you are losing. It is difficult to be hungry for a loose ball when it seems like a formality anyway. I remember when NZ had the exact same problem in the late 90's/early 00's

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Vagabundo posted:

There's also the pressure that comes with trying too hard, which results in players loving up what looks like basic stuff.

Yeah. Just noticed that Watling came in with NZ in a strong position and got single figures again, whereas I can't even count how many innings he has saved.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

therattle posted:

Test cricket is the greatest sport ever.

Here in NZ cricket is a poor cousin to the two rugby's, and demographically only pakeha and kiwis of South Asian descent are usually into it.

One of the things I hear as to why people don't like cricket is 5 day draws but to me a fighting draw is one of the most exciting things ever, Monty and Anderson at Cardiff, the English holding on at Eden Park about a decade ago.

What other fighting draws can you guys remember?

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

BrigadierSensible posted:

India have a bowling attack that have played less than 5 tests between them. And are playing Australia in a place where AUs haven't lost since 1988.

Australia will be 2/360 at the end of the first day and will win by an innings before tea on the 4th.

Spoonboy, is that you?

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
India are not playing to win, and the Aussies only hope is the new ball. India's strategy is a little cowardly but I'm not sure I would play any different in their shoes.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

gay picnic defence posted:

I saw a scorecard from back when Australia used to play Australia A in ODI series with a touring side, our second 11 had guys like Gilchrist, Langer, McGill, Martyn and others. The depth in Australian cricket back then was insane.

Gilchrist would captain the Aus A side, right? Hussey would do the same thing iirc

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
The pitch must be a minefield.

England could always do their thing I guess, with no pressure to score runs I can see them letting the bowlers find the footholes. I don't have video, can anyone tell me the state of the wicket?

exmachina fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jan 25, 2021

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Smorgasbord posted:

Chris Martin a credible 5th place, one of the most entertainingly hopeless batsmen of all time.

edit: looks like Martin, Chandrasekar, and Boult have the best not outs per innings ratio

edit2: actually W A Johnston pips them

edit3: and Corey Collymore, didn't think he played that many tests

If The Phantom is at the other end, may as well swing for the bleachers

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Seams posted:

It would rule if Australia make it to the WTC final due to another team winning only to get thrashed by NZ.

Except our boys do seem to have a bit of a mental block when it comes to beating Aussie. One reason is that we hardly ever play them.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
idgi. Whose action, Viv Richards or the nobody peppering an aging master in what I assume is a limited over match before the 1 bouncer rule? Or the umpire for calling him out on that BS?

"Action" usually applies to the bowler, right? I don't see what was special about digging it into the middle of the pitch.

Edit: ok so I clicked through to YouTube and the description said Viv Richards called this the fastest bowling he ever faced.

His runup kinda reminded me of Hadlee tbh. But my previous comment about bruising Viv Richards ribs still stands.

exmachina fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 7, 2021

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Career value vs peak value

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Yeah we have a real mental block against Aussie sometimes so after losing games 3&4 they were able to maintain discipline

This series should have been 4-1 or even 5-0 on paper, it is an Aussie b team

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
I thought England players can't play in IPL because their domestic comp is at the same time?

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Watching this and OMG a packed stadium? What is India doing?

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Some good quality PTSD on this page

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
I dunno seems consistent with earlier rule changes and imo reducing the amount of "umpires call" can only be good.

In any case is is like an inch, who cares.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Varkk posted:

Trevor Chappell the surprise pick for the next IPL.
Also https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket...-bowlers-action

Ugh I read the comments, knowing they would be terrible, and they were. How do people not understand that roundarm has always been legal? W. C. Grace bowled roundarm. The only reason more bowlers don't is because you need to be really accurate.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Lol at these idiot gomers thinking Malinga's action is also illegal.

Welcome to the wonderful world of stuff comments. I'll give you a clue about why they are against this bowler, Malinga and of course Muralitharan.

It's racism

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Ok guys so I have been watching some baseball videos on youtube. Does anyone know who Ichiro Suzuki is? I wish he played Cricket. He could have been one of the greatest No. 4's ever in test cricket, and I would open with him in T20.

Anybody else have strong feelings about baseball players?

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
I agree in general about cross-skill, but Ichiro in particular struck me as someone who would be good at cricket. He can obviously see the ball extremely well and he is infamous for his infield or ground balls. He has 5 of the top 20 seasons for total hits, including number 1 and 2, He gets over the ball instead of under it a lot for modern baseball and is superfast to the base. And obviously his fielding would rival the best in cricket

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
I was specifically talking about Ichiro. Watch some videos guys, this guy was unbelievable. He batted in a very unconventional way, slipping between fielders in a very cricket-like way.

He was held in Japanese Leagues until 27 due to an agreement with MLB, and still achieved insane numbers of hits.

I feel like cricket in particular is very resistant to crossover as it values skills not valued by other, even similar sports, bit Ichiro would have done it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
It is hard to justify playing absolute weasels like Chris Martin (and I say that with love, never forget the Phantom) at the highest level these days.