Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Kumbamontu posted:

Good game, was definitely fun :D

Note to mod: combo watcher/tracker is absolutely ludicrously overpowered, especially when combined with a cop

fwiw I don't think there was a tracker :shobon:

Epsilon Plus posted:

Also I really recommend everyone read day 2 of the scumdoc for Somber's breakdown on the greatest bodies of water of all time

your game made me drink a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Epsilon Plus posted:

Also I really recommend everyone read day 2 of the scumdoc for Somber's breakdown on the greatest bodies of water of all time

Yes that was truly impressive.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Somberbrero posted:

Hahahaha look at how wrong you are! Kumba was Search Man, a combo tracker/watcher.

quote:

I still giggle at the phrase "try drowning a knight anywhere else then call me"

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Somberbrero posted:

i was both a watcher and a tracker, hence why i knew none of cpig's targets were busdriven cause i knew exactly who he targeted all game

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
this is my favorite from bodies of water chat

"you can interest with creeks in several ways"

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Kumbamontu posted:

i was both a watcher and a tracker, hence why i knew none of cpig's targets were busdriven cause i knew exactly who he targeted all game

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah oh wow

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
my targets were

n1: ernie
n2: cpig
n3: cpig
n4: cpig
n5: cpig

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Kumbamontu posted:

Except he was! Night 2 CPig tried to cop Gamer but got Asiina instead. I thought the best way to handle it was to show the end result, not the target's intentions.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Epsilon Plus posted:

Except he was! Night 2 CPig tried to cop Gamer but got Asiina instead. I thought the best way to handle it was to show the end result, not the target's intentions.

Damnit! I could have used the bus driver excuse!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Also yeah bus driver works when it gives wrong results.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Ah well that makes it interesting, but either way he and I knew who he ended up targetting so it kinda made the busdriver irrelevant in that case

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
How the hell did I last as long as I did if I was cop'd scum.

Piiig

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
he tried to target you but received asiina's name and role instead i would gather

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Because he got Asiina's result and name instead.

Also I'm 100% keeping Sword Man in the next game of this I run. You guys seemed to eat that poo poo up.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I think the game is better than you give it credit for EP. Also I guess I'm bad at helping with balance so sorry on that :[

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Tremendous Taste posted:

I think the game is better than you give it credit for EP. Also I guess I'm bad at helping with balance so sorry on that :[

Also I would like to publicly thank Tremendous Taste, who you didn't see much of but instead provided invaluable advice from behind the curtain. Anything good about this game is directly or indirectly his fault.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

that's far too generous

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
I would like credit for getting SK killed N1 and Mafia Copped N2

Atleast I think I got SK killed?

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.
Sorry if I ruined the game by giving up. I tried but I really hate playing SKs in mafia.

I did love the flavor of the game though

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I'm calling BS on this E+ :colbert:

"apostateCourier, you learn Pinterest Mom is Guts Man. They are permanantly bulletproof. You get a one-shot strongman kill that breaks all protection if you kill him.
to clarify, he can still be lynched or fail a duel"

"You are Guts Man, a Robot Master! You win when all threats to Robot Masters are eliminated. You are bulletproof, both day and night, and can only be killed by lynch or a strongman kill."

Duel isn't listed as a thing that can kill me~

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

This was a lot of fun, even if it did turn into a logic puzzle at the end with all of our investigative actions, and Somberbrero you did an impressive job with the hand you were dealt. Even if you didn't get anyone else, you managed to sway me more than once, even getting me to cast a vote for PMom that one time. Too bad you never got to use your godfather power, because you really rocked it during the day.

Some thoughts on roles and powers:
As CirclMastr discovered, the one-shot redirect is effectively a tracker until it gets used up.
Naming me in Gamer's flip was super solid confirmation that I was town, but it shouldn't really matter for deductive purposes if all the masons claim their partners before dying, I think? Except that scum can get people to second-guess the claims I guess (but the claims are still almost as good as a flip).
There were quite a few roles that scum had no viable ways of nightkilling, but still had powers that could be copied.
Seeing Meinberg flip straight doctor was weird, considering that nobody else had an unmodified basic mafia role. I dunno how I feel about "weak doctor" if it's put out there as a killing role that sometimes fails rather than a protective role that usually kills, maybe give the doctor a 1-shot weak doctor action.
IDK if the flavorcop gave the entire role PM, but just giving the name of the robot would be plenty to keep someone busy without any other powers.
I'm glad that you treat bus driver and redirects of investigations as "you investigate Name, who is such and such" instead of "your target is such and such" because in the latter case, it amounts to "someone somewhere in the game is town/performed a night action" which isn't terribly useful.
If you're gonna put in more kill actions, I'd do something like giving the scum team 1-shot bulletproof (negates the first vig/serial kill against anyone on the scum team) to give them a fighting chance. On the flip side, unlimited bulletproof and cuddleproof are pretty obnoxious powers.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Epsilon Plus posted:

Because he got Asiina's result and name instead.

Also I'm 100% keeping Sword Man in the next game of this I run. You guys seemed to eat that poo poo up.

I wasn't in the game for Ernie's duel but yeah, that was a nice shot of drama right to the jugular. All the drama of the final vote but without all the wait!

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I enjoyed this game, and look forward to the next one.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I'm sorry for my incredibly scummy play. I'm really probably the worst person to give a "you have no real accountability for your actions" role to because I literally just speak my mind and don't really give a poo poo about the consequences. Apologies to anyone if I was a jerk. Gamer, I was wrong!

I think the only time I've seen uncuddleable roles work was Merk in the Phoenix Wright game where he was an odd 3p with a weird "these four people must die" win condition, and even then from the flip side it was super frustrating as town to have someone who was acting super scummy and we couldn't get rid of...but at least he had a role where he wasn't supposed to give a poo poo about the town win condition.

There probably is a way to play in such a manner as uncuddleable town but it wasn't the way I played! :v:

I kept thinking I was a dead man walking so I kinda checked out. Scum team didn't kill me because of the distraction, or what?

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Hello it's me. The guy who replaced into the game and was like "whaaaa?? whaaaaaat? How screwed are we. Oh. . . That screwed."

I will say on the Scum doc I think day 4 I start singing Kumba-ya and then almost decided to make the entire song about Mafia and that's when I realized the game was breaking my brain.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Would my plan to suicide lynch on Quidnose have worked?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm sorry I was just completely useless. I joined too late to really understand abything and I think I had too many irons in the fire at once too. I promise I wan't sign up for any more mafia games until the mafia game I'm running finishes.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Rarity posted:

Would my plan to suicide lynch on Quidnose have worked?

Yes!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Quidnose posted:

I'm sorry for my incredibly scummy play. I'm really probably the worst person to give a "you have no real accountability for your actions" role to because I literally just speak my mind and don't really give a poo poo about the consequences. Apologies to anyone if I was a jerk. Gamer, I was wrong!

I think the only time I've seen uncuddleable roles work was Merk in the Phoenix Wright game where he was an odd 3p with a weird "these four people must die" win condition, and even then from the flip side it was super frustrating as town to have someone who was acting super scummy and we couldn't get rid of...but at least he had a role where he wasn't supposed to give a poo poo about the town win condition.

There probably is a way to play in such a manner as uncuddleable town but it wasn't the way I played! :v:

I kept thinking I was a dead man walking so I kinda checked out. Scum team didn't kill me because of the distraction, or what?

We tried to kill you night one. Not that we knew this, but stealing your lynchproof would have deprived us of a nightkill once it was just me. Between Abyss, Pig, Kumba, and Hiip we just had too many priority targets.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Yeah Hiip was the priority because getting rid of a bus driver was very important to us not killing ourselves.

That reminds me, EP you should almost check for the "worst case scenario" for each alignment. If they are very out of balance (ie scum can be wiped out by the end of N1 compared to town will need until the end of N3 or N4) then it usually shows there's some sort of imbalance there. They don't have to be the same, but they should be sorta close.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

For what it's worth, I learned that Mafia probably isn't the game for me. Thanks to everyone for putting up with my stupidity.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

CirclMastr posted:

For what it's worth, I learned that Mafia probably isn't the game for me. Thanks to everyone for putting up with my stupidity.

I would encourage you to give it a go in a more traditional game. You did fine, and we're all bad at mafia!

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

CirclMastr posted:

Yeah you were a real champ and if the concept still interests you I'd encourage playing a simpler 9-player or 11-player game! Not all Mafia games are this... erratic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

CirclMastr posted:

For real Circl at least try another game. Mafia is just my way to call people jerks and bs with folks. Nobody is good at mafia (well except for a handful of folks) and if you treat it like an absurd joke it gets more rewarding.

• Locked thread