Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Robots are cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Epsilon Plus posted:

This game is going to get twistier and turnier*. Sick bags will be provided for those of delicate constitutions.

* Twists and turns not guaranteed for all players/roles

Just like in my fanfictions!

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Somberbrero posted:

The Protomen are probably my favorite Mega Man themed rock opera fanfiction group.

I agree.

Take that, the Megas!

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

I like when you kill the robots. But I don't like it when the giant smiley face appears and chases you around the stage.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Yo, confirmed

Amnistar posted:

Confirming Role PM.

-#Vote Meinberg

Meinberg you have been selected to play a game! The rules of the game are simple, simply tell me who you would most want to be on your team as Scum, and who you would most want to be on your team as Town?

also, wow rude

I'll admit to being torn, there are some quality players in this game. I think that if I was scum, I would probably want Asiina to be the most on my team. She's really good at faking scumhunting, and so would be a strategic asset in appearing valuable to town while convincing those same townies to vote out their own. Plus she's cool, and it'd be fun to shoot the poo poo with her in a doc.

As a member of town, though, I hope that Somber is also town. He's quite clever, if a bit aggressive, and having him on town is a legit asset to aid in rooting out scum, while if he's scum, even if his sometime overly aggressive attitude can prove alienating.

While we're at it, though....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zrtl41oZxOA

##vote Krell

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Quidnose posted:

Meinberg, why are you always so scummy right off the bat.

It's my ~meta~

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Amnistar posted:

Thank you for playing my game Meinberg, unfortunately your answers are such that I shal be leaving my vote where it is. Your language and stance set off bells in that the emotions behind the post feels false. You go from offended to serious to joking quickly and jump on the bandwagon against krell after I'd raised concerns about how much the vote was growing.

I am large, I contain multitudes.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Amnistar posted:

I rolled a dice, I was hoping to spark conversation with it. I just got lucky and hit scum

Apparently we haven't met before. Hey, I'm Meinberg. How are you?

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Amnistar posted:

Hi meinberg, I'm amnistar. I am doing welll actually. Currently dealing with the joys of building a house so it's busy but fun.

I'm sorry that random.org picked you wheb you were scum this game, no hard feelings?

Building a house definitely seems neat, I'm glad that you're enjoying it.

My point is that I come across as largely scum, while not actually being scum. I hope you realize this truth as things progress. But here, let me provide you with some assistance. When you initially voted me, you put a dash in front of the hash tags, making your vote malformed and not count for vote finder.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

I get the feeling that most people aren't actually able to read my posts.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

The turbo is sacrosanct, and not to be violated.

Also, Krell seems like a real piece of human garbage.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Kumbamontu posted:

:eyepop:

##vote gamer

I like your take on that post, and feel much the same. And sadly, the turbo has run out of steam, I fear that the rolling start has... stopped.

##unvote

I'd like to hear some more about Gamer, in response to the response to his response, just to get a better feel of things.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

BTW, I've been pretty busy the last couple days, and now I'm a bit out of it, so my apologies if my thought processes are a bit disjointed.

I think Amnistar is town. He was trying to generate content in the beginning, which seems like a town move to me, and misinterpreting my early game posting as scummy is a pretty town thing to do.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Somberbrero posted:

Meinstein who is scum though?

That's a good question.

Right now, my leaning is Gamer, probably one between Max22 and CirclMastr due to extreme lurkiness, and I'd guess at least one other person who is currently under my radar.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Kumbamontu posted:

god DAMNIT meinberg

Somberbrero posted:

Meinberg know that I don't take it lightly when I say that you're a big fucker.

It's good to be back.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Somberbrero posted:

No come on Meinberg!

You barely mention Gamer before and then you name a bunch of lurkers, that's so lame. Do you think that a lurker lynch is a good idea day one? Why?

I think that going after a lurker is more likely to yield a hit than someone who is actively engaged in the content of the game. Someone who is posting at least semi-regularly is putting themselves out for exposure, risking analysis. While a scum team would likely prod a lurker scum into action, low activity is something I would expect from relatively new third parties.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Ernie. posted:

I think it was Plato who said 'Keep the loud party animals close, but keep the quiet mass murderers closer'.

Maybe it's the pain killers, but that makes sense to me.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

CirclMastr posted:

I honestly wouldn't be able to justify any kind of read with anything other than "gut feeling", so it would be as blind a stab as possible.

Going with the gut is perfectably acceptable. To be honest, I don't even know how to play Mafia on any level besides pure gut reads.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Meinberg posted:

To be honest, I don't even know how to play Mafia on any level besides pure gut reads.

(To clarify for non-joke getters, that part is hyperbolic non-sarcasm)

i'm bad at mafia

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Amnistar posted:

Meta is the defense of the scummy. If you play like scum, I will assume you are scum, and thus either make you lose games or get better meta.

After I lynch the person I am more sure is scum.

~meta~

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Ernie, what would you do if I said I was a Miller?

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Ernie. posted:

I would say that you can't ever keep a secret and

god DAMNIT Meinberg

##vote Cpig

I trust Ernie.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

The case on CPig is basically Ernie's gut read, which he hasn't really expanded on. I was hoping for a bit more, to tell the truth.

The case on Quidnose is that he reacted poorly to pressure being put on him over whether or not a post of his was a joke vote.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

I'm willing to shift to Quidnose to avoid a no-lynch, but judging from the current level of activity, there may not be enough numbers.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

##vote Quidnose

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

1) CPig
2) Gamerofthegame
3) Amnistar

I believe in Ernie's gut, and both CPig and Amnistar's activity near the hammer makes me suspicious of them. I put CPig at the top since he should know better, rather than Amni who is relatively new.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Ernie. posted:

Amnistar is not relatively new. He's older than I by many, many games (years?).

Well, now I feel like quite the fool.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

I find this all very suspicious.

I'm going to do some thinking out loud here. Feel free to ignore.

Krell's flip has already shown the possibility of 3P possessing unusual victory conditions. That said, Krell's role also was a pro-town one, albeit one with the possibility of some anti-town vendetta if things go wrong. The important part, though, is that it's entirely possible that Ernie's wincon is distinct from that of the normal town wincon.

Exakt's role sounds a bit too complex to be easily manufactured, on the other hand, he's had plenty of time to discuss things with hypothetical scum buddies to come up with something that is complex enough to be credible.

Ernie likely could have begun the duel much earlier in the day, and gotten some serious traction due to the momentum against Exakt, but he delayed. But yet, if Ernie had begun the duel before Exakt's claim, that would have been highly scummy. And yet, with no duel in place, what he's actually managed to achieve is some role fishing, albeit for a role that the scum is not likely to prioritize first.

So, I have to look at the posts, the tenor and the tone and the content.

Ernie. posted:

This is great news, it means there are probably only two scum.

Maybe we should keep EXAKT alive until Quidnose dies??

Ernie. posted:

I think the problem is if we're in a 4 town vs 2 scum situation at end game, the town has lost no matter what it does if we keep EXAKT alive. Even if we kill a scum at that point, EXAKT can turn scum and we lose with the night-kill.

I think Ernie is genuinely trying to think through the game, here, to try and piece together the setup repercussions of Exakt's role, but I can see this as clear obfuscation to throw off the town. However, I find it highly unlikely that Ernie is actually scum or has access to the number of scum in the game, as it is more likely that Ernie is some form of 3P.

EXAKT Science posted:

I'd honestly much rather you duel Amni, Gamer, or CPig as they're more likely to be scums, but if I lose the duel, then I hope the town look at all of them with a bit more scrutiny.

And this post from Exakt seems very genuine to me as well. Setting up a list of people to look at seems like something that town would do, and there's a genuine sense of willing surrender around the rest of Exakt's posts.

In conclusion, I have to go with my gut and my gut says that Exakt is being earnest about his role, though I'm still less sure about Ernie.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

CapitalistPig posted:

You guys are over thinking this, Ernie is town.

Me? Over thinking things? That's impossible!

You're probably right though.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Hi guys, how's it's going? Lots of posts in the thread I see.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

I'll be straight with you, I just woke up and caught up with the thread. I'm going to leave this, then I'll be back shortly.

:megaman: Meinberg

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

My thought processes are often a garbled mess of incoherent and contradictory nonsense, but I figured it was worthwhile to be intellectually honest with you guys. That Ernie interpreted this as faking thoughts makes me quite sad, as they were, in fact, legitimate, even in the way that they turned onto each other.

I also think it's pretty rude that Ernie ultimately decided to ignore the results of the poll in order to target me because of a single post.

If Ernie does flip to be town, then I do recommend that you pick up his role, Exakt, and use it on someone you view as legitimately scummy, as it is the best way for us to be sure that you won't flip on us later by taking a scum role.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Ernie. posted:

Too bad Meinberg is also scum and he's chosen to hide instead of, you know, 'do the meinberg thing' and overanalyze.

Everyone look in your hearts and ask yourselves if Meinberg would go 'welp that happened' as town, or actually go 'I'm disappointed Ernie picked me here's 4000 words about why I'm good'?

4000 words is a lot of words.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Ernie. posted:

To be fair, I want Meinberg to claim. Maybe we want his power in EXAKT's hands??

There's already been a ton of claims in this game, and I'd rather keep that to a minimum going forward, if at all possible. I will soft claim that my role is useful and something we'd like town to have.

That said, if that's just me being stupid, and other people also want me to full claim, I'm willing to do so.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Blah, this whole thing has drained away much of my enthusiasm. I'm really not sure how to defend myself at this point, as my play hasn't exactly been great up to this point.

If you think I'm scum, I'd say take a look at my interactions with Amni at the beginning of the game, and see if that looks like scum behavior to you.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Kumbamontu posted:

While reading through Meinberg's post history I came to the realization that I don't think I've played with Scumberg before. Does anyone know off-hand of a game he was scum in by chance?

I actually haven't gotten scum all that often.

First time, was Warhammer Mafia and the next one I remember was an Ecco game that I did really poorly in. Recently, I got recruited into a Cult N1 of the Mountain Goats Mafia.

Also, I was a serial killer once which might be useful for comparison.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Amnistar posted:

okay.

HiipFire is scum and lied about who he redirected for quid. Quid is scum and is bulletproof as well as lynchproof, I suspect one shot of each
Allen wren is unlikely to be scum as that is who I targetted with my vig last night.

I expect to be dead tommorrow.

##vote HiipFire

##vote Amnistar

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

I would have brought attention to it, but I thought I was just dumb and missed something obvious.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Kumbamontu posted:

welcome back to the party

I've been here the whole time! I just haven't had anything worthwhile to contribute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Which really isn't any different from normal, now that I think about it.

• Locked thread