Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Robnoxious posted:

A valid point.
I would think now would be the time for Kaitlin to realize that there are obvious forces against her, win or lose in the Team Nerd War.
She was very quick to dismiss alliances because "they are dumb" so one developed right under her horsey face **cue whinny**

Team Smash needs to take a hit next week so when Kait's attempt at team voting strategy is usurped by the whims of the Sekrit 6 she'll open her eyes.
She may need 2 more episodes to really have it sink in but by then it'll be too late.

Kaitlin is blinded by her hubris/narcissism which make it easy for her to rationalize that the other team is voting her into nerd offs again and again. Based on the randomness of challenges on the show it might even be the best strategy for the other team to get her out.

If this were Celebrity Apprentice I would bet my life on the producers giving the judges a slight nudge in the direction of making team smash win another week, because that would destroy the secrete 6. There is even an argument to be made that it would make sense for the blue half of the alliance to break ranks even if they win and try to weaken the other team instead of sticking to the plan as at least one of them has nothing to gain by sticking to the alliance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
it's ironic because she is interested in horses while she also looks like a horse

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

Hedrigall posted:

it's ironic because she is interested in horses while she also looks like a horse

The horse thing made me laugh every time. Apparently it is easy to make me laugh.

I just wanted to reach through the screen and throttle Todd every time he picked the wrong answer. I doubt he threw the competition, but I think emotions made it hard for him to properly study.

Hey, I have a horse *whinny*.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

she didn't even know it was the trojan horse though, she just picked a horse because she loves horses or whatever

also todd picking some branch off yggdrasil or whatever and saying it was Dionysus' cane or whatever :psyduck:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

appropriatemetaphor posted:

she didn't even know it was the trojan horse though, she just picked a horse because she loves horses or whatever

also todd picking some branch off yggdrasil or whatever and saying it was Dionysus' cane or whatever :psyduck:

I think it's hard to tell in this show just how much is played up for the cameras because I know people IRL that act just like these assholes without a hint of irony. That said, Todd seemed pretty drat confident in his fuckboy answers to really easy mythology questions. Almost too confident.

It's always Greek mythology :sigh: I couldn't tell by looking at it if there were others but c'mon guys.

The boat challenge was hilarious and I was hoping some would just say gently caress it and build cardboard wedges that they could just drag through the water really quickly.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

He was throwing the challenge to get out of the house.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

TheHoosier posted:

It's always Greek mythology :sigh: I couldn't tell by looking at it if there were others but c'mon guys.

Well, hrunting and mjolnir where there as well, but they just didn't get to them. What the heel was up with the sumo wrestler though? And why did we have to see him every time?

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Well, hrunting and mjolnir where there as well, but they just didn't get to them. What the heel was up with the sumo wrestler though? And why did we have to see him every time?

Because they used a sumo wrestler in season one and you can never have enough gimmicks. GIVE ME ALL THE GIMMICKS.

Should've had a sumo in the pool, too. Like, in a huge innertube.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Robnoxious posted:

Here's the thing though... bringing back either the boulder or the fire would have registered a correct answer right?
Because the second I heard Prometheus I went immediately to "tied to a stone and the birds pecking his insides out for eternity."

I had forgotten that giving the commoners fire was what got him to that fate.

If you got that question and fire was an option, that's what you should go with. I'd assume the big stone would have been a question about Sisypus.

I found it ironic that one 80/20 lesbian need got so bent out of shape about Todd making Lily feel bad about herself and bullying her when she was such an outrageous bitch to Ori.

Also, I really wanted to see Todd try to get into a cardboard boat and make it across the pool. It made me chuckle how sure he was in the beginning he wouldn't be voted into the nerd off and then how shocked he was when it happened. He's old enough by now to have figured out that things like this are always more of a popularity/like-ability contest than anything else. Your chubby, annoying butt isn't going to beat out the pretty, shy, blond girl.

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Feb 13, 2015

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

KilGrey posted:

If you got that question and fire was an option, that's what you should go with. I'd assume the big stone would have been a question about Sisypus.
Sisyphus and the eternal rolling of the boulder uphill was also the end result of his fate.
What got him to that punishment and was there another object out there that would have been closer to quantify the answer?
Didn't Sisyphus try to get his groove thang on with Athena or was it the darkness thing with Persephone?

I still think that challenge was open to a wide interpretation as long as you backed it up, which Todd completely muffed on.

Robnoxious fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Feb 13, 2015

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

KilGrey posted:

I found it ironic that one 80/20 lesbian need got so bent out of shape about Todd making Lily feel bad about herself and bullying her when she was such an outrageous bitch to Ori.

Yeah, it's like totally different thing, I imagine her saying.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Okay, Colby is the man. "Some kids are jerks".

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I liked both nerd-off competitors so it was sad either way, but the underdog just couldn't pull it off. The music competition was bullshit and I assume the Moby thing was either directed or nudged along.

Gonna be nice to see the Sinister Secret Six implode.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

"Avatar: The Last Airbender"
Under the Done Lady: Oh my god!
Penn: There is no God.

I swear, I stopped breathing I was laughing so hard.

And then the nerd spazzing out about the cartoon just put me over the edge and I had to pause it and post here to catch my breath.

Edit: Possible comedy gold you can miss, Amanda is crying about losing the comp, everyone gives her a hug, Colby can't reach because other guy is in the way so Colby gives a group hug and Other Guy makes a hilarious face. Colby's unique brand of social awkwardness amuses me to no end.

I love this show.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 21, 2015

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Down goes Heather! My favorite trucks on. Penn was hilarious in his short time. I'll never not find their relentless boo-hooing and "You're my best friend!" at each elimination funny as poo poo.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Colby continues to be the man. Penn Gillette also making sure that we don't forget he's an atheist! I've gotta say SMASH had some harder ones to work with in the nerd war. Charading the Neverending Story isn't as easy as the others. It's hilarious how quickly some of them got the right answer, though. That was a great episode.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm glad forgettable girl #3 got kicked out this week.

If either Colby or Kaitlin wins, I'll be happy :)

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Absolutely rooting for Colby to destroy all comers.

Edit: I like that the alliance members somehow view Colby as a villain for simply being forced into the Nerd-Off and refusing to lose.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Colby is my pony. I also like Jonathan though because he seems to be the only real strategic one. Colby, Jonathan and Caitlin need to form an alliance.

Also, cat ear lady named her kid Atreyu...yeah.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Moby was a dick. And I say this as a fan of his music. He questioned whether Ori had actually read some Shakespearan play in Klngon. Yet in The Undiscovered Country is the famous line,

Chancellor Gorkon posted:

You have not experienced Shakespeare until you have read him in the original Klingon.
Further (as far as I'm aware), prune juice is a Worf thing, not a Klingon beverage as can be seen when Dax sarcastically tells him, "for a Klingon who was raised by Humans, wears a Starfleet uniform, and drinks prune juice, you're pretty attached to 'tradition'."

KilGrey posted:

Colby is my pony. I also like Jonathan though because he seems to be the only real strategic one. Colby, Jonathan and Caitlin need to form an alliance.

Jonathan manipulating the voting was masterful. So was Rachelle Lefevre's

"I volunteer as tribute!"

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 21, 2015

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Penns wannabe smugness and forced "funniest guy in the room no matter what" was more socially awkward than anything else we've seen on the show.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

evobatman posted:

Penns wannabe smugness and forced "funniest guy in the room no matter what" was more socially awkward than anything else we've seen on the show.

I think the actress actually started the religion sniping by calling penn out when she came out of the box.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't think I ever finished watching season 2. Season 1 was like the perfect lightning in a bottle mixture of broken and weird people mixed with some genuinely likeable people (and even that one guy who was both terrible broken weird but when the show was over turned out to be a weed smoking bisexual cool guy that just got too into the reality show game).

Still I'll check it out because there's a loving brony.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Victorkm posted:

I think the actress actually started the religion sniping by calling penn out when she came out of the box.

Yeah, I think the two of them just had a fun back and forth the whole time. And a number of the nerds were able to keep up. And then there's was teh hilarious awkwardness of like Colby and Heather freaking out and getting hyper competitive. It was a super fun challenge.

I don't like Penn in general, I just thought he was funny there.

Although like Penn also volunteering as tribute after Under the Dome Lady had the hilarious line is a good example of how Penn can't let someone else have the joke.

Binary Logic posted:

Jonathan manipulating the voting was masterful. So was Rachelle Lefevre's

I was totally on his side when he betrayed the Secret Six, because he was right. The girls totally dicked him over with that "we can't choose.... But it should totally be Jonathan" stunt. But then he backtracked on it at the end saying "if I had been as loyal to Heather as she was to me." No, you nerd! She sold you out so you sold her out. That's ok, it's a game. You can still really like her and feel bad about your role in eliminating her. You can be a well adjusted social human AND play the game.

I've mellowed on Kaitlin because I think she made that transition. At the start she seemed to be all "Game, I don't care about humans!" But since getting to know everyone it seems like she's chilled out. I think that's generally the appeal of this show. It's not just funny but it's generally about watching broken people get a little less broken.

Except Todd. The fucker broke hard.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

They should find some way to reward Nerd Off winners or one of the wallflowers is just going to Celeste themselves to the finals.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

MoPZiG posted:

They should find some way to reward Nerd Off winners or one of the wallflowers is just going to Celeste themselves to the finals.

Some sort of immunity idol for the losing team would be a good way to fix that. But yeah, the format of the show makes it way to easy to coast to the end.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

or just reset the teams every week.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Man, I am seriously pissed about how that episode went down. I'm seriously rather angry, never thought this show would get that kind of reaction out of me. You got screwed, Colby. At least you still have Jeopardy.

RadioactiveKid
Aug 12, 2005

Gato Rebelde
With Colby gone the guys are outnumbered, looks like there's going to be another queen of the nerds

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

I'm not even a horror movie buff and I thought those questions were ridiculously simple.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Robnoxious posted:

I'm not even a horror movie buff and I thought those questions were ridiculously simple.

I got them all right, except for the one Colby got wrong. I made the same damned reasoning.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I've watched every episode so far, but now with Colby gone I find myself not liking any of the people left.

Tamizander Rey
Jul 14, 2004
Gentlemen! Chop off my head with such velocity, that the blood gushing from my neck propels my lifeless body all the way to Phoenix!

shyduck posted:

I've watched every episode so far, but now with Colby gone I find myself not liking any of the people left.

Same here. I hate how this show plays out, honestly. Anyone who doesn't actively search for an alliance gets out in the cold.
Colby was the best and, unfortunately, tried to play the game straight. Every season there is an alliance and every season the wrong people go home.
Alliances ruin every good show like this.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm really disappointed that Jonathan went back to the Secret Six. His realization that Heather and Amanda were throwing him under the bus last week and decision to play for a win looked like it was going to make this game interesting. But then he did a total 180 because he's in love with Heather or something and its just back to the Secret Six vs Colby and Kaitlin. I hope this ends up loving Jonathan over and he finishes 6th.

I'll miss Colby. I don't know what it was about the guy but he was entertaining. His weird gruff social awkwardness and kind of blunt way of dealing with things but he still managed not to be an rear end about it. The way he pretty unsubtly called out that it was the entire house against him and their victory was gratifying and he at least handled the emotional bummer of that better than Todd.

So I guess weirdly I've done a full 360 and am back to rooting for Kaitlin to beat out the Secret Six. Weird that my two "ponies" were Colby and Kaitlin and when all is said and done they were the ones I ended up rooting for largely because they were just thorns in the Six's sides.

And yeah, I'm a horror buff and those were really easy. The only one I didn't 100% know was the Army of Darkness one and that was easy enough to guess based on the tone of the movies.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
So happy now that Trivia Boy is gone - his rapping last week was almost as bad as his attitude. And when he team was analysing and problem-solving at the crime scene he was pretty much useless.

Although his memory skill and concentration was impressive - he scrolled through the '100 top horror movies' list so fast.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 1, 2015

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Personally, I don't mind that Colby finally got the boot. I mean, I definitely liked him in a weird way, but not enough to *really* miss him on the show going forward. There are still plenty of people I like. Kaitlin is at least fun to watch even if I don't really want to root for her, and I haven't been as down on the Secret Six as most other people seem to be. I do find it a bit boring game-wise, but that's not enough to make me dislike them individually- I just want to see it crack.

And I have to say, I really loved this week's Nerd War.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't dislike the Secret Six. They're not objectionable people or anything. Its just boring to watch. Its an inevitability of these games. If you're the majority alliance picking off people 1 by 1 then you're going to be the defacto "bullies" or "bad guys" and the other guys are going to be the "underdogs" or "heroes." Its just basic storytelling. You can break that up if the "underdogs" are jerks but if they're not then its just going to be so easy and natural to root against the majority and see their grand plans get a shake up. Even if they're nice enough people.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
The Secret 6 was a construct for 4 women to pick off the men, ensuring that once again the winner would be Queen Of The Nerds. (The loser goes home immediately).
So far it's working out really well for them - 5 guys are gone and only 2 remain; only 1 of the 4 women's alliance members has been lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

• Locked thread