Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I want Kaitlin, Queen of Horses to win this thing now because gently caress all those other forgettable motherfuckers. gently caress THEM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
"Beating Colby would be the proudest moment of my life. And I've had kids and gotten married and stuff!"
That was a great line.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

Binary Logic posted:

"Beating Colby would be the proudest moment of my life. And I've had kids and gotten married and stuff!"
That was a great line.

Ugh, I hate alliances in my reality competition shows. They make sense, but they make for angry AlliedBiscuit. I always liked that the other two seasons were free of this stuff.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

AlliedBiscuit posted:

Ugh, I hate alliances in my reality competition shows. They make sense, but they make for angry AlliedBiscuit. I always liked that the other two seasons were free of this stuff.

:agreed:

It makes sense in shows like Survivor where you're directly competing and are directly responsible for who leaves. It bugs the poo poo out of me in shows like this or The Amazing Race or MasterChef where it comes down to individual performance in challenges. Trying to shoehorn in "strategy" to create artificial drama is unnecessary.

Best part of this episode, though: Slow motion dramatic yelling of MYYYYYYYY LITTTLEEEEEEEEEEE POOOOOOOOOOOOONYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The editors on this show are the best. I do editing, and I can tell they have fun with it.

Runner up is the producer who asked whatsherface, "Did you just say 'loin product'?"

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

:agreed:

It makes sense in shows like Survivor where you're directly competing and are directly responsible for who leaves. It bugs the poo poo out of me in shows like this or The Amazing Race or MasterChef where it comes down to individual performance in challenges. Trying to shoehorn in "strategy" to create artificial drama is unnecessary.

Best part of this episode, though: Slow motion dramatic yelling of MYYYYYYYY LITTTLEEEEEEEEEEE POOOOOOOOOOOOONYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The editors on this show are the best. I do editing, and I can tell they have fun with it.

Runner up is the producer who asked whatsherface, "Did you just say 'loin product'?"

I'm an editor too, and that's a big reason I like it too. This and Drag Race, and to a lesser extent MasterChef, are the only reality shows I watch regularly, and a big reason is the fun they have with the editing. The poo poo they do on those shows is HARD. Especially Drag Race, that show is edited so over the top and to the point that I can't imagine how long it takes to get it that overly polished.

With this show, they have all those silly moments you mentioned, and I love it. It's also weird to me how they've stopped censoring "poo poo" on this show. Stuff I've worked on more heavily catered to adults always bleeps it. I wonder who decided to just let it slide.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

AlliedBiscuit posted:

I'm an editor too, and that's a big reason I like it too. This and Drag Race, and to a lesser extent MasterChef, are the only reality shows I watch regularly, and a big reason is the fun they have with the editing. The poo poo they do on those shows is HARD. Especially Drag Race, that show is edited so over the top and to the point that I can't imagine how long it takes to get it that overly polished.

With this show, they have all those silly moments you mentioned, and I love it. It's also weird to me how they've stopped censoring "poo poo" on this show. Stuff I've worked on more heavily catered to adults always bleeps it. I wonder who decided to just let it slide.

I hadn't even noticed that they stopped doing that. Weird....

I guess that goes to show how much of a paradox censorship really is....bleeping draws MORE focus to what they view as a problem. It is actually a great technique on shows like Hell's Kitchen or Kitchen Nightmares with Ramsay being bleeped every other line. Those shows stream uncensored, and it's actually really jarring the difference it makes; Ramsay's a really cool dude and the bleeps make him artificially angrier because his actual f-bombs have a tone that is far more joking or sarcastic than truly rage-y.

That's why I love editing, though. It's truly amazing how much you can gently caress with perception just with the tiniest tweaks to things. RedLetterMedia had a video this week called "Editing Is Awesome" where they cut up Oscar footage with the live performance of "Everything Is Awesome" (link). Even in something silly like that you completely change perception of the "characters" (audience) just with a different juxtaposition of images.

I can't even imagine editing for a reality show. Having a 10:1 ratio for a feature or a short is bad enough, I don't even know what theirs would be. Survivor's something like 8+ simultaneous cameras 24/7 for 39 days, with episodes spanning three days....so like 600:1?! I expect there has to be someone with a "spotter" job that makes note of when and where obviously significant stuff takes place as an ongoing rough sketch for editors to use as a skeleton to build the episode. Stuff like MasterChef that only spans a finite number of scheduled events probably winds up more "fun" just because the editors don't have to focus on fighting to pare down the pile of poo poo, they have more time/energy to polish things.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I hadn't even noticed that they stopped doing that. Weird....

I guess that goes to show how much of a paradox censorship really is....bleeping draws MORE focus to what they view as a problem. It is actually a great technique on shows like Hell's Kitchen or Kitchen Nightmares with Ramsay being bleeped every other line. Those shows stream uncensored, and it's actually really jarring the difference it makes; Ramsay's a really cool dude and the bleeps make him artificially angrier because his actual f-bombs have a tone that is far more joking or sarcastic than truly rage-y.

That's why I love editing, though. It's truly amazing how much you can gently caress with perception just with the tiniest tweaks to things. RedLetterMedia had a video this week called "Editing Is Awesome" where they cut up Oscar footage with the live performance of "Everything Is Awesome" (link). Even in something silly like that you completely change perception of the "characters" (audience) just with a different juxtaposition of images.

I can't even imagine editing for a reality show. Having a 10:1 ratio for a feature or a short is bad enough, I don't even know what theirs would be. Survivor's something like 8+ simultaneous cameras 24/7 for 39 days, with episodes spanning three days....so like 600:1?! I expect there has to be someone with a "spotter" job that makes note of when and where obviously significant stuff takes place as an ongoing rough sketch for editors to use as a skeleton to build the episode. Stuff like MasterChef that only spans a finite number of scheduled events probably winds up more "fun" just because the editors don't have to focus on fighting to pare down the pile of poo poo, they have more time/energy to polish things.

I actually do edit reality tv. It's really a damned crapton amount of footage. Biggest Loser shoots for 4 months solid, with 4-12 cameras running simultaneously. And the thing is, you may want to try to edit the footage to be as true to life as possible, then your superiors demand you pull unrelated reactions or events in to up the drama. Editors are the ones who construct the manipulation, but the producers, and especially the network execs, are the ones who demand it. Notes like "I want to feel as though Ray feels like he can't win this fight because he's a little guy". Ray never says that. "Well pull some old interview bites where he talks about being a little man and MAKE IT WORK".

"Make it work" is heard a lot.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
:ohdear: Looks like Bobby Carradine just got in a pretty rough car accident.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Apparently it happened last week, and TMZ only just now found out about it. It doesn't seem to be clear just how badly he and his wife were injured, though. Hope they're alright.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Those damned Alphas have gone too far this time!

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

Those damned Alphas have gone too far this time!
After an eighties montage of Bobby's physical therapy the most epic techno-battle rap of the ages will go down.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Well, the weasel won. Dammit.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Irish Joe posted:

Rooting for Ben because he's the only one who doesn't look like he's missing a chromosome.

Dammit, so close.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I was rooting for the guy that won until no one stepped up to be on Bens team.

Also, I wish Colby could be a permanent talking head on this show.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
I like how they did the finale 2 this year, but the f4 contest was horribly designed, with to much of an emphasis being put on the buzzing in and to little on the supporting nerds.

They should shamelessly steal the "power up" concept of "The Genius" and give each nerd an ability that they can grant to the contestant from the f4 contest up to the f2.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
One of my favourite aspects of this season is how Kaitlyn went from villainous edit at the beginning to sympathetic but still arrogant 3rd place finisher.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Binary Logic posted:

One of my favourite aspects of this season is how Kaitlyn went from villainous edit at the beginning to sympathetic but still arrogant 3rd place finisher.

I loved her, "I'm not a 'nerd nerd', I'm just a smart person."

Total, screw you comic book geeks, I have a PHD.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

KilGrey posted:

I loved her, "I'm not a 'nerd nerd', I'm just a smart person."

Total, screw you comic book geeks, I have a PHD.

And a horse, don't forget the horse.

Yeah Kaitlin seems like that rich privileged girl pushed to excel, who has a big ego about it

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I grew to like Kaitlin after a bad first impression. She's still super arrogant but she was weirdly chill about it once we got to know her.

Lily also grew on my big the last couple of episodes. She was really amusing in her talking heads. Colby and Jacob too. Jacobs first episode outing was a loss.

Did not like Jonathan. Probably my least favorite outcome of like the final eight and one of the few nerds that didn't grow on me. But ah well.

I also enjoyed the continuing King fo Nerds tradition of having female nerds being overtly flirtatious and sexual and awkward male nerds who have no idea what to do with it. Maybe my favorite running theme.

And holy poo poo did I have no idea how to do that last puzzle.

KilGrey posted:

I was rooting for the guy that won until no one stepped up to be on Bens team.

Man, when jonathan won and everyone jumped on him to celebrate and Ben was just standing there sad being comforted by a Todd I almost heard Charlie Brown sad music.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 16, 2015

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

And holy poo poo did I have no idea how to do that last puzzle.

The picross puzzle? I was pissed because I've done like a million of those and that looked like a pretty easy one. I would have crushed both of them :(

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've never seen one of those so it just had me spinning. I'm sure it just takes a little calm focus and it was only so hard to me because I didn't even know the rules until they explained them. It just had me spinning after all the other puzzles/games were stuff I thought I could manage (within reason, I suck at chess).

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
Sad Kaitlin didn't win.

I am good friends with her IRL and she's not nearly as outwardly arrogant as she appeared to be on the show. I suspect they had her play it up to create a more marketable character (I mean really, "the girl who likes horses" is pretty dumb). Also, not at all a spoiled rich girl. She's a very nice, down-to-earth person and I think you all would like her very much :)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Are you a NASA person too?

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Are you a NASA person too?

Not even remotely

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

LargeHadron posted:

Sad Kaitlin didn't win.

I am good friends with her IRL and she's not nearly as outwardly arrogant as she appeared to be on the show. I suspect they had her play it up to create a more marketable character (I mean really, "the girl who likes horses" is pretty dumb). Also, not at all a spoiled rich girl. She's a very nice, down-to-earth person and I think you all would like her very much :)

That's awesome :-). I retract what I said. She was definitely my #2 behind Colby. A finale between the two of them would have been the best. One of these days the show will have a winner I actually like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

no one going on ben's team almost seemed staged, like they were really building him up as the guy to beat (which i guess he was). didn't really matter though because unlike season 2, the teammates didn't really seem to help that much.

i liked jonathan though he seemed alright, doctor king of the nerds.

• Locked thread