Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
They hosed up not going F2P and they haven't made a profit yet.

It came out June 9th 2014 and it will end in march 2015. I think we had a pool going somewhere.

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-elder-scrolls-online-drops-subscription/

The game is still like 60 bucks or 20 bucks or something and an mmo so it is loving dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Giant cash grab poo poo show designed to steal money from stupid Elder Scrolls fans.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

they managed to make skyrim worse

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
but it's on ps4 and xbone now, op

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Color me purple an Elder Scrolls MMO sucked

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Bolverkur posted:

they managed to make skyrim worse

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

lmao that's insanely dumb of them

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Wow, maybe next time use some newer scrolls, morons. :rolleyes:

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
if the game was pc only it would have gone free to play

I think they realized you can't ask people for $60 + $15/month + $5/month on console

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Dexters Secret posted:

lmao that's insanely dumb of them

it's what they've been planning all along, publisher gets their insane upfront box sales + monthlies and then once they've recouped their poo poo they'll just let this game die on the b2p model while going to make a new game

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Kazvall posted:

it's what they've been planning all along, publisher gets their insane upfront box sales + monthlies and then once they've recouped their poo poo they'll just let this game die on the b2p model while going to make a new game

how does the b2p model generate any revenue well past release when the game has gotten stale

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Dexters Secret posted:

how does the b2p model generate any revenue well past release when the game has gotten stale

it doesn't that's my point. eso is all about brand recognition cash out and dump

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
guild wars 2 has an insane cash shop and ingame ads everywhere , also you can convert $$$ to gold

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

THE PENETRATOR posted:

guild wars 2 has an insane cash shop and ingame ads everywhere , also you can convert $$$ to gold
An accurate depiction of the medieval guild system.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
i'll be damned if zenimax doesn't have a cash -> gold option

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

THE PENETRATOR posted:

yeah but gw2 has always been b2p since release and it also has the advantage of people actually playing it

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

An accurate depiction of the medieval guild system.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rqS3gH6xYc&t=37s

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Dexters Secret posted:

yeah but gw2 has always been b2p since release and it also has the advantage of people actually playing it

however, people may nnow play teso

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Eye of Widesauron posted:

Color me purple an Elder Scrolls MMO sucked

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

THE PENETRATOR posted:

however, people may nnow play teso

the cost of the game box is a higher barrier of entry than the subscription fee imo

gw2 has the luxury because there are people who want to play it with their friends. literally no one plays teso so there's no incentive to take the plunge

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Liquid Penguins posted:

if the game was pc only it would have gone free to play

I think they realized you can't ask people for $60 + $15/month + $5/month on console
they could, if their game wasn't bad

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

they should've just made it F2P on PC and then if you want to play it on a console you gotta buy it but they give you $60 worth of F2P currency to make up for it

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

You thought Feet to Penis was cool? Now we've got BUTT to Penis for ya!!!!

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
I wonder if the insane TESO obsessed guy who used to post here still plays this game.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I wonder if the insane TESO obsessed guy who used to post here still plays this game.

who was that

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dexters Secret posted:

they should've just made it F2P on PC and then if you want to play it on a console you gotta buy it but they give you $60 worth of F2P currency to make up for it

That would require the game being good, or perhaps Bethesda (either publisher or developer) having any loving brains at all, let alone creativity.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

I forget but he would always make posts like, "here's the detailed backstory I came up with for my 5th character today. Been playing for 24 hours straight now" and stuff like that.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I forget but he would always make posts like, "here's the detailed backstory I came up with for my 5th character today. Been playing for 24 hours straight now" and stuff like that.

Oh yeah. That dude. I thought his thread was a joke or something but honestly it was extremely weird and creepy. IIRC it was posted when the forum was still DDRD, so that makes sense.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

zen death robot posted:

I seriously cannot believe I posted and a fresh set of realistic horse asses were waiting for me.

this made me laugh more than it should have

not that it wasnt funny, but i laughed way too much.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

geld em', danno

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
IDK how you play Skyrim without the horse poon mod :jackbud:

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

the inclusion of realistic horse buttholes is pretty much the only reason i made it through oblivion

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

:yikes:

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

he looks extremely alarmed

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

zen death robot posted:

I seriously cannot believe I posted and a fresh set of realistic horse asses were waiting for me.

Fun fact: If you complain about that mod at all on Nexus, you will be swiftly banned because it is highly illegal to criticize any mod whatsoever.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

SunAndSpring posted:

Fun fact: If you complain about that mod at all on Nexus, you will be swiftly banned because it is highly illegal to criticize any mod whatsoever.

its true, i got banned for complaining they werent realistic enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I got banned for saying I liked the idea of a mod but wouldn't download in it's current state

• Locked thread