Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Vas Th'nox | HP 1714/22 | Armor 1 | Mutant Hold 2 | XP 4

Vas looks over Asher's shoulder as it picks up a shiny piece of something, but a bolt of pain through the mutant's head turns him away. "Aaagh!" Vas cries out - something's wrong with the controller eye, or it's mad at him, or something. No good way to determine the truth while wracked with pain through-and-through, though. He holds his head and stumbles, slipping on the crystal floor and tumbling down the stairs!

Tumble damage: 1d4-1 3

The bodily pain from this tumble is somewhat deadened by Vas' auto-extending plasma shield, but it manages to drive away the inner pain, at least for now. When he gets to his feet, he feels something click unevenly in the floor beneath him. That's when Lyrius shows up. "Hey, wizard. I'm fine, just, uh... Got a little headache and tripped on my feet. No big deal. You okay?"

Vas points to the un-camouflaged square hatch-covering in the floor. "What do you think? Should we open 'er up?" He grins in four directions. "Yeah... Of course we should." He kneels and works his long claws under the edge of the hatch covering, then very slowly peels it up. He's ready to pause at the first sign of any mechanism being activated from within, to avoid being caught unawares by an ancient trap...

DD (Dex): 2d6+2 12

Vas manages to get the hatch open without activating any traps, it seems. He peers down, scanning whatever waits below...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Asher
HP 20/26 | Armor 2 | Urge: 0 | XP: 0

Asher watched, head cocked, as Vas tumbled down the steps. It didn't even occur to reach out for him as he went. Regardless, the guard appeared to pick himself up quickly enough. As Vas went to work on the newly-revealed hatch, the beast glanced towards Victor.

"Victor-guard!" A sparkle in the air as Asher tossed the gem to the man. "Door is dangerous, but might lead to witch. Can you fix?" An unsettling gurgle as it tried to cough out the "ex" sound.

A brief flick of the eyes towards the man coming to his senses. Asher could not place a name to that one. Nor could it quite tell what the looks the other survivors were giving him meant.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Orestes Candlemeet
HP: 12/16 | Armor: 0 | XP: 1

Well, there you go. Alien life, right in front of her. Alien life that's intelligent enough to meditate. Maybe she should go up and try to say... Oh, who is she kidding? Orestes Candlemeet is not a first contact kind of girl. Leave making a good first impression to somebody who actually likes people, that's her motto. Nope, she's more of the "sneak past and never let them know you're there" type. So, that's what she does. Just slowly approach the giant moth and make sure nothing touches anything and hopefully find a door to duck through without making too much noise past the junction. Better than trying to talk to whatever this is.

Going to Defy Danger by sneaking past this weird mothperson. Rolling with WIS because I'm taking this nice and slow and careful.
Defy Danger (Wisdom): 2d6+1 11
(Added the +1 forward from Discern Realities after I rolled, because I forgot about it until just then. Not like it matters that much, though.)

Zandracon
Oct 21, 2010
Victor | HP 19/19 | Armor 2 | XP 0/9

Nearly dropping the stone tossed to him, Victor's attention is finally ripped from the device he had thrown. Eyeing the door and newly acquired gem, he grins.

"Interesting, I think that I can open that door with some rejiggering. Ah-" Blinking, Victor amplifies his voice with the suit, "I'd recommend getting behind the barricades, in case this doesn't go as neatly as last time." Tapping his arm to open up its innards, he jams the gem into an empty spot and quickly reconfigures the energy cannon to run its mana through the crystal before firing.

Pointing his palm towards the door, Victor pulses beams of mana into the door. The gem should theoretically be helping these blasts of energy resonate with whatever is warding the door, hopefully shattering the enchantments. Overloading them with energy would probably work if that wasn't enough but that tended to be much more explosive. Also would probably trip more defensive stuff, but what he was doing now could also trip some other thing if whoever built this place was paranoid enough.

Rigging up a new fire mode (temp): 2d6+2 5

Hm. That color of mana seems rather unusual.

"Whoops, sorry!"

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Asher

Asher watched the arm curiously. It had given Victor the stone for no other reason than it was pretty, but apparently the elf-man had some deeper understanding.

"Asher will stay. Machines break easier than it does." Extending a claw, it pointed out the light patterns along the wall and door. "Victor-guard must be cautious. It thinks the light is import-

- 'Sorry'? Why is sorry?"

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Korak
HP 14/24 | Armor 1 | Status: Sick (-con), Nervous | Appetite: Nil | XP 8

While a few of his brothers explored, Korak stayed behind with the rest of the colony. He was eyeing the room like he expected it to make a move; another cave-in, a trap, magic, whatever - he wasn't going to be the first one to stumble into it, and he wasn't going to let this place's next weird catastrophe roll over their weaker members without going through him first.

When Vas falls, Korak springs towards him... for about three seconds, until Vas gets back up and seems fine. Korak coughs, straightens his back, and walks back to the gaggle of survivors. He calls out, "Check for traps," not that he needs to.

And hey, what's this? Good ol' K-A is awake again. Korak walks up to him, leaning in and looking down. He says, "Morning. Ship crashed, we survived. Dragged you around for hours. Our colony world; once inhabited, apparently. We are inside a big, weird, crystal tunnel place, looking for an exit."

He leans in a little closer, and tilts his head. He says, "Right after the crash, you went crazy. Attacked someone. Said, 'get them off me' a lot. Explain please what you can remember of that. Lot of odd poo poo has been happening, lot of magicks, whatever you saw would be useful to know about."

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Oy
HP: 19/28| Armor: 1 | XP: 2/9

Infinite Oregano posted:

The corpse of a little critter is clutching something.
What does it have on it?
Also, what do you do?

Ignoring the commotion around him, Oy makes his way over to the small animal he has spotted. The thing is long dead it seems, but in it's pawn, it clutches some device. He pries it out and inspects it. Seems to be some kind of remote, with buttons on it. Probably long dead, but on the off chance, Oy begins randomly pushing them.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
Vas Th'nox

You carefully open the hatch and still your breath as you examine things - although the action of opening the hatch itself would trigger no traps your keen senses notice a mesh of razor-sharp, incredibly thin crystalline filaments just below the hatch. With some careful searching around through the gaps in the filaments you find what you think is a tiny lever - giving it a pull before you suddenly reach back your arm causes the filaments to slip back into surrounding floor - leaving no other signs.

That could have been nasty.

Gazing down the open hatch more properly now, there is a small ladder leading down to another chamber, but unfortunately from this angle you can't make out much else, however it looks similar to this chamber - in that it has regular, smooth surfaces - unlike the caverns that you left to get into here. Either way, nothing immediately dangerous or hostile is visible from here.

Orestes Candlemeet

You skulk past the entity, it remaining perfectly still as you do so, seemingly having not noticed you - nor awoken from whatever trance it is in. You are careful to avoid anything that might make a sound, and take it slowly - there is no harm in taking your time right now anyway.

Sneaking down the crystalline corridors of this place, the very smooth and seamless surfaces that are occasionally dotted with sconces that are alight with some sort of equivalent of a light bulb - still functioning, as well as a general ethereal glow that suffuses this place from the walls, floors, and ceilings. Finding no other doors in this particular corridor you turn a corner and get out of 'sight' of the strange creature, and immediately find a door - crystalline and possessing a regular shape (similar to the one before). Though like the other before it appears that it possesses some kind of strange 'lock' like 'mechanism', but it too is luckily unlocked.

Slipping quietly and carefully inside you find... hmm. A large room lined with shelving, and centered with tables, all of which appear (at least at a glance) to be empty. An empty store room, by the looks of it. Nothing too exciting, but at least you can hide in here, and if worst comes to worst the tables can be propped against the door to form a barricade, so there's that...

Not the most interesting of places, but a possible safe-haven in future. Well, except that creature is still out there, though it has not noticed you nor moved from its position - so that's the only major downside.

Just before you slide through the door you saw even more semi-featureless crystalline corridors - but unlike the one before at the end of the corridor lay some kind of pillar or obelisk or similar, from what you could tell at a distance it appeared freestanding. At least this place isn't entirely mazelike...

Victor:

You slot the new-found gem into a slot within your energy cannon and give it a try. At first there is a bass hum, and it becomes apparent that there is something wrong as the energy starts resonating oddly. Opening the cannon again you see that a hitherto-unseen flaw is entrenched within its structure - energy hisses along the errant flaw and before you can otherwise react the gem shatters and there is a pulse of energy out of the cannon as the unforeseen utilisation draws more energy than it should have and from the mouth of the cannon comes a surge of prismatically hued power, striking the door and causing the runes embedded deep within the structure of the door and the surrounding walls flare to life and suddenly darken, as a keening high-pitched wail is emitted - shaking the chamber briefly before cutting into silence once more.

The gem is destroyed and rendered worthless, furthermore your energy cannon uses up 1 Ammo

Orestes Candlemeet

You hear a sudden piercing keening noise in the distance before it cuts off just as suddenly as it came. Then you hear a thump and a clink somewhere outside this room.

What do you do?

Map (not to scale):

1: Hole in Floor
2: Door out of/into room with hole
3: Furniture
4: 'Statue' (may not be correct)
5: Store room

(Orestes is at 5; off map to the 'north' is some sort of crystal pillar thing)

Korak

"U-uh, I'm afraid I don't really remember anything like that. I just, I remember... there was some kind of crystal I could see? And little crystal spiders covered me. I think I somehow saw a crystal in here somewhere, I don't know what that means though. D-did I really kill someone? My name is Jaryd, by the way." he murmurs, still quite confused and dazed but willing to answer your questions, his expression is somewhat frightened and confused. The man sits up more steadily as he looks about his surroundings with a mixture of curiosity and fear.

Oy

The strange crystal box with very slightly raised buttons has no markings on it, asides from a section near what you presume to be the front which has a different colour and texture - a slightly darker hue than the surrounding material. Most of the buttons don't seem to do much - or perhaps what they once did no longer functions, but one of the ones you press causes a crystalline clinking and scraping noise to echo from above, before crystalline rods spring into action coming out of the edges of the hole, and sliding into other unseen holes - in both axes, causing it to effectively form a grate or perhaps some kind of portcullis type deal.

Everyone except Orestes

Victor's attempt seems to have disarmed the trap on the door, albeit very noisily - causing a high pitched keening to echo through the chamber before it cuts off suddenly. Simultaneously (but seemingly entirely unrelated) Oy seems to have found some kind of device which at the least seems to operate some kind of grid or portcullis-type affair that appears to have been built into the hole in the ceiling.

Meanwhile, Vas appears to have disarmed some kind of trap that lead off below the hatch that he found, granting another method of exit from this chamber.

What do you do?

Map (not to scale):

1: Glowing gate/energy field/collapsed cavern (inaccessible)
2: Hole in ceiling (currently has grate across it)
3: Stairs/barricades
4: Door to next room
5: Hatch going down

Vas is at 5, Victor is between 3 and 4, everyone else (except Orestes) are between 1 and 2 roughly.

Infinite Oregano fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 16, 2015

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Orestes Candlemeet

Alright. An empty storeroom. Orestes can work with this. It could be a good safehouse, at least. Shouldn't have too many people coming in here, and it's defensible if it has to be. Yeah, she can definitely work with this. Doesn't help her get anywhere, mind you, but it's-

Okay, that sounds bad. Really bad. Bad enough for her to stick her head back out into the hallway to try to see what's even happening out there. Hopefully the moth doesn't have the same idea.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
Orestes Candlemeet

Tentatively opening the door you just entered via you don't see anything immediately apparent on this stretch of corridor. You hear a quiet 'clink' sound coming from around the corner - which could mean anything, really, something quiet and crystal-on-crystal.

Glancing around the corner you see... an empty corridor. The 'statue' is gone. It could be anywhere, though you do have a few ideas...

What do you do?

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Asher

Asher grinned and bobbed its head towards Victor. "See? No need for sorry."

Approaching the door, Asher grabbed hold of the handle and hauled backwards, expecting resistance.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Lyrius
Not-A-Guard | HP: 14/20 | Armor 1/1 | Hold-4 | XP 9/9

The high pitched shriek from the gate makes me cringe, the black bow nearly drawn before I realize nothing terrible has actually happened. I keep my weapon at the ready and make my way towards the opened gate.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Korak

Korak hmms and shrugs. He says, "Bet you did see a crystal. Loads of them, everywhere. And you did cut someone, but with all the cave-ins and explosions, who can say if you killed. But there were definitely no little spiders on you at the time. You have any family history of prophesy? Wild psychic talent? Maybe a cousin who is sorcerer? So much weird, bad poo poo has been happening - would be good to get ahead of the next disaster."

And then there's a horrible, keening echo and some of his brothers are going down trap doors. Korak shouts, "<God drat it>" and draws steel. And there he stands, ready to leap to the colony's defense at the first sign of anything weird showing up before him, but the wail stops soon enough and nothing else seems to be happening. He relaxes, but keeps his sword in hand.

If this room is stable, Korak will poke his head in and (if it appears safe) investigate whatever's behind door number 4.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Oy

Oy presses the button once again, waits for the grate to open and then walks over, to inspect what it was protecting.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Vas Th'nox | HP 14/22 | Armor 1 | Mutant Hold 2 | XP 4

Vas calls out to the room, "Got some kinda hatch over here. Trapped, but I think it's safe now. Everybody good?" Then Victor's cannon hums loud and blasts into the barricade door... Having seemingly no effect, except to make a high-pitched noise - doesn't bother Vas' enhanced senses, but the others seem to cringe. The mutant calls up to Victor. "Try the handle!"

"I'm gonna check it out. Shout if you need me." Vas descends the ladder cautiously, ready to strike out with his foot-claws if necessary.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Orestes Candlemeet

The moth's on the move now. Lovely. Probably went to investigate the explosion. The explosion that was probably caused by her fellow escapees. Which means that she's going to have to go there too if she doesn't want to live in a storeroom for the rest of her life. drat it.

Orestes steps out of the empty storeroom and begins sneaking north, to the crystal pillar. Once she's there she should be able to figure out what direction the explosion's coming from.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Korak

"W-wild psychic talent? I don't remember hearing about anything like that in my family..." pondered Jaryd "But I did feel... something. When I said I saw a crystal I meant like... a single crystal, floating in the air, and now that I've thought about it I think it might be in here somewhere..." remarked the worried-looking man.

Asher and Korak

The door ahead yields relatively easily now, and no further traps trouble yourselves. Beyond the door lies a grand-looking hall, and a pair of stairs leading down into it. A mighty chandelier seems to dominate the centre of the room, the twinkling crystals and gems that lie upon casting prismatic hues across the chamber with even greater intensity than any that you have seen thus far in this place. The hall seems lined with crystalline statues of tall, imposing looking humanoid figures, their dress varies - some are in what you presume is armour, others in robes - their armaments seem to vary - the robed ones have hooked staves with what looks like some form of lantern hanging from the hook (nonfunctioning), others are holding a weirdly curved blade in both hands across their centre, and some even have something that looks like it might represent a rifle of some kind, held over their shoulders. Asides from the statues which flank the chamber, it is largely open, but appears decorated. Complex, seemingly decorative patterns are etched on the floor - seemingly centring around directly below the chandelier. The walls look to be covered by images painted in colours that make them look like stained glass - depicting many things, with repeated sun and moon symbolism, as well as what look like stylised depictions of beams of light.

A grand staircase dominates the back of the room leading up to a balcony of some kind, and to the right and left two sets of large double doors sit opposite one another.

No one else has followed you into the new room yet, perhaps they are not keen given that you have shown that this place is trapped.

What do you do?

Oy

The extendable grate covers the hole in the ceiling, and with a click its component bars slide back into the ceiling. You gaze up through the hole in the ceiling into another room above, but can't really make much out at this angle. The light or the walls or something seems to shift momentarily but then you blink and it's gone. Maybe you just imagined it.

Meanwhile it would appear that Asher and Korak have opened the door ahead and gone into the room beyond, while Vas Th'nox has descended to the ladder accessed by the hatch he found. For the moment the remainder of the people have stayed behind, but who knows where they'll go.

What do you do?

Vas Th'nox

You descend the ladder relatively easily, the spacing of the rungs seem about right for a humanoid creature of a reasonable height - maybe slightly farther apart than you expected, implying perhaps that this was made for more long-legged individuals - though on the other hand this could merely be some sort of architectural or cultural style or something.

Regardless, you reach the bottom of the ladder with no issues and find yourself in a chamber packed densely with crystalline crates. Open space left as pathways nets between the crates - which are stacked neatly in groups of four (if one row) or eight (if two rows). From your position at the bottom of the ladder you can clearly see what is presumably an air vent of some kind, built into the base of wall to the 'north', seemingly fairly large and with a crystalline grate covering it.

The room smells... fresher than the previous one, and you feel a slight breeze coming from what seems more and more like an air vent. Otherwise there is no moment in the room and it seems relatively undisturbed until you arrived - the place doesn't even seem dusty, however this might be due to the composition of this strange place.

What do you do?

Map (not to scale)

1: Ladder up
2: CRATES CRATES CRATES
3: Obvious air vent/

(Vas is at 1)

Orestes Candlemeet

You head north carefully, hoping that whatever that thing is doesn't spot you as you head without any cover towards the strange crystalline pillar. Seemingly you make it undeterred, passing many 'sconces' on the way there, but no doors. However when you approach the pillar it seems to come to life, light shines rhythmically through it and along it, forming alien sigils that dance upon its surface. However so far it has been totally silent, even when you approached it and it 'stirred' to life.

Asides from that the pillar seems to stand within an alcove based at the midst of a t-junction, the left and right directions seemingly going off elsewhere with nothing particularly noteworthy immediately visible in either direction, the material used in this place and the almost featureless nature of the walls, ceiling, and floor makes seeing anything at a distance that remotely blends into its surroundings (such as doors) very difficult to see.

What do you do?

Map (not to scale):

1: Hole in Floor
2: Door out of/into room with hole
3: Furniture
4: Last known location of the 'statue' (not here anymore)
5: Store room
6: Weird crystal pillar thing

(Orestes is at 6)

Everyone Else

Vas Th'nox disappears down the hatch while Asher and Korak both make their way through the main door. The survivors around you seem nervous since this place is so obviously trapped now, and seem unwilling to move until a clear way ahead has been shown.

What do you do?

Map (not to scale):

1: Glowing gate/energy field/collapsed cavern (inaccessible)
2: Hole in ceiling (had grate across it but it's gone now)
3: Stairs/barricades
4: Door to next room
5: Hatch going down
6: Stairs down into hall
7: Twin double doors opposite one another
8: Grand staircase leading up
9: A large balcony, not clearly visible currently.
10: Huge chandelier at the centre of the grand hall.

(Asher and Korak are at 6, everyone else is somewhere between 2 and 1)

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Asher

Asher gazed across the newly revealed room, than over to Korak. "Stairs lead to witch, maybe?"

Taking a few cautious steps forward, it eyed the patterns on the ground. Something didn't sit right about them. The entrance to this massive foyer had been trapped, and it stood to reason this room might follow suit. Best to avoid the floor entirely. Stepping back to the door, corded muscles bulged as it launched itself towards the nearest statue, claws digging furrows in an attempt to find purchase and haul itself up.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Lyrius

I keep my eyes wary and my bow at the ready as I follow Asher and Korak into this new hall. I make note of the statues, vowing to attempt a closer study once we're sure we're safe in here.

Discern Realities 10
What should I be on the lookout for?
What here is useful or valuable to me?
What here is not what it appears to be?

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Vas Th'nox | HP 14/22 | Armor 1 | Mutant Hold 2 | XP 4

Vas rushes to the air vent, crams his slits-nose up against it and inhales deeply - it's fresh! Oh, those textured organic scents! After however-drat-long in deep space, and the only-slight improvement of the caverns, breathing in this air is like surfacing from a Arcturan stink-bog. The mutant's wings expand involuntarily in the little storeroom as he breathes in and out.

Discern Realities: 2d6-1 6

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Oy

Oy stores the small remote in his pants and begins to examine the distance to the ceiling, up to the hole Oreste made in it. If the there was a grate installed here, it must mean that there once was an official entrance and the grate meant that whoever build this place wanted to keep that entrance safe. Reason enough to check it out.

Leap (Str): 2d6+2 10

When you throw yourself into a giant jump,roll +Str. On a 10+ , your land where
your wanted; if that’s on someone, deal damage as they absorb your fall.
On a 7-9, your wild attempts have thrown you off course and you land somewhere unintended.

He squats down, braces himself for a second and then takes a powerful jump up, through the hole, into the small, dark storage room. Swiftly, he extends his long arms to stop himself from falling back down. Climbing all the way through the opening, he yells into the dark room: "Yo witch woman, wait up, I am coming with you!", and begins to wander through the unlit corridors, his eyes wandering around to see if he finds something worth a security system.

Discern Realities (+Wis): 2d6+1 7

What here is useful or valuable to me?

e X fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jun 23, 2015

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Orestes Candlemeet

Well, isn't this fancy? It's almost enough to make Orestes forget about the weird moth-person that just vanished into thin air. Although, now that she's thinking about it, the pillar's already detected her.The moth-statue could probably figure out that she's been here. And it's not like she'll have many ways to hide from it if it found her, if the hallways are going to stay like this. That doesn't make staying in one place any safer, but... Ah, hell with it. Orestes reaches out and runs one slim finger across the pillar's surface. She can afford to spend a few minutes figuring this thing out while she's here.

Going to try to examine the glowing pillar long enough to trigger Let Me See That. My questions are "what does this do?" and "who made this?".

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Korak

Korak nodded back to Jaryd of the Knife. He said, "Whatever the cause, something weird seems to have made connection with your mind. If you see anything else, or get a 'hunch,' please mention immediately." After a moment's pause, he added, "And don't carry anything sharp, until further notice."

Looking into the next room, he calls back over his shoulder about what he's seeing, for the benefit of everyone else hanging back or taking other routes. "Looks like some kind of 'grand hall.' Ceiling lights, statues. Decorative patterns everywhere."

Given enough time and relative safety, Korak would like to methodically explore this whole complex. With so many threatening unknowns, his first priority is to find an escape route, and that (probably) means going up the stairs, closer to the surface. Lyrius appears to have taken point in checking the room for traps, so Korak will stand near the doorway until it's confirmed clear, or something bad happens that he needs to deal with.

And Asher has.. his own ideas about how to deal with traps. He looks dumb, and funny, but hey if the floor is a deadly trap, that's what you've gotta do. Korak chuckles a little, under his breath, and says, "Good thinking."

tldr, checking up the staircase if nothing bad happens to the others

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 24, 2015

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Asher:

You easily leap towards and manage to grab ahold of a crystalline statue, although your claws have a difficult time digging into the glass-like material regardless you manage to keep a decent hold and otherwise maintain some semblance of balance upon the large statue - this one is of a robed figure wielding a hooked staff bearing a lantern.

So far so good, and if the statues can support your weight that bodes well if you hope to hop from statue to statue, but your initial footing wouldn't be quite so even, moreover the statues are pretty smooth, so you couldn't really hope to muster such beneficial friction as you did to get here, all in all it'll be more risky going ahead if you want to make this your main method of transport throughout the room.

No-one else has ventured as far as you have into the room it seems, so you're certainly blazing a trail - even if it's a trail that few are able (or willing) to follow.

What do you do?

Lyrius

You carefully scrutinise the next room using your keenly trained senses, considering all there is that you can determine about this grand hall that lies before you.

Although someone of a particularly paranoid bent might assume the statues are golems or somethin that isn't the cases, as far as you can tell they're just simply well-made statues of figures that somewhat resemble humans (with a few key differences, they are all particularly tall and slender - possibly an artefact of culture or possibly evidence of the phyical nature of the original creators of this place), unfortunately you can't say much more about them due to their armoured or robed presentation making it difficult to make out other details that might otherwise differentiate them from humans or other demihuman species. Regardless the statues do not seem to be disguised automata. However, you do notice that certain particular sections of the floor throughout the chamber appear rigged by a strange method - the light glints off of them peculiarly and the texture upon them seems to subtly differ from others - which sections seem wrong follow the patterning of the floor that covers the entire chamber - luckily however this does not cover the entire floor! But it seems more likely than not that these sections of floor would trigger some kind of trap.

Glancing about the room your profit-focused eyes manage to catch out something that seems more valuable than whatever this weird material is - although likely worth something it seems like it would require some strange magic or technology to extract any of this crystalliine matter with any particular success. Regardless you notice something that is much more accessible that is visible within this chamber - the 'crown jewel' of the chandelier that lies at the bottommost tip of the decoration appears to consist of a hefty gem, not a mere sapphire but an astrally-influenced and well-shaped chunk of lapis lazuli - the hues that are cast by it indicate its magical nature - on the other hand getting ahold of it might be difficult...

Speaking of difficulty you swiftly realise what trap might well be activated by the peculiarities upon the floor here - the chandelier seems rigged not only to rotate but your keen magical and non-magical senses determine that it is channeling some not insignificant energies - however currently they are being cycled back by its internal structure back to where they come from but if it were to rotate the angles would be changed and they would be unleashed. Although you cannot say more specifically how they might well be involved, you'd imagine given what technology you have witnessed thus far in this place that it might use weaponised light - possibly a form of laser, or similar magically-derived offensive light-weapon, more than likely forming great cutting arcs that would seriously damage anything within the room, and likely due to the crystalline composition of everything else in here have little to no effect upon the surroundings.

All in all a beautiful but dangerous room lies ahead.

What do you do?

Vas Th'nox

Your almost hedonistic inhalations distract you from the creaking looseness of the grate before it's too late, and with your entire bulk pressed against such a thin section of crystal yields the grate losing contact with its surroundings and falling inwards, sending you tumbling down the vent upon the grate itself. Unlike the rest of the chambers you have encountered thus far, the insides of the air vent do not seem to have been made for humanoid traversal, and consequently are practically frictionless, the grate and your own body do little (if anything) to slow your descent as they slide across the smooth crystalline surface.

The tunnel seems to go on for quite a while before it dramatically shoots you out into a ventillation shaft made of a similar material. Time seems to slow as you find yourself in mid air, a drop below seeming to go on forever as you find another 'tunnel' opposite yours, and you think you can see some above - but your vision is definiely not angled in that direction in such a short and sudden section of time.

As gravity works its wicked ways you feel its (mostly) irresistable pull towards the depths that lie outside of sight, the grate you were sliding upon rapidly beginning to drop away.

What do you do?

Oy

Your muscles respond appropiately and you clear a significant height and manage to pull yourself up through the hole and out of the chamber that most of th e others are hanging about within. Thus you find yourself in a separate, smaller room - crystalline furniture is packed against one wall, with a pile of dust or ashes lying sullenly near it. None of this matters though because near them stands a door! Presumably Orestes went through here, and following that logic you head through it.

You begin wandering through the corridors beyond the door and find a large storage room through another door in the corridors. Although largely empty you give it a once-over and manage to find something interesting. Hidden largely because its colour and texture seems to match everything else in this room (whoever made this place must have had excellent vision), you manage to spot a bag containing various gear that you might use in a more physically-demanding situation, albeit seemingly constructed out of either a crystalline material (if rigid) or... weirdly enough what you think might be crystalline fibres woven together into a flexible material (including the bag itself)

You find 5 uses of Adventuring Gear

Grabbing such a handy set of tools easily, you head out again and spot Orestes standing near some kind of odd glowing crystal pillar, and you head over to her without any other issues.

What do you do?

Orestes Candlemeet

You spend a while examining the column, seemingly unharried. Hmm. It seems to be an interface, or more-over a terminal to access some kind of computer. Though the technology is strange, it doesn't seem to operate by normal electricity-based methods, but purely light-based somehow. Consequently some aspects of the terminal seem only accessed by specific manipulation of light, not that that's not something you can't mimic - but it does imply whomever made this had some natural talent towards that end - or otherwise had the hubris to assume that only someone who had such a talent would need to use such a terminal.

Anyway, either way its capabilities seem largely limited by the power and abilities of the computer it is connected to, but from what you can see that is not physically close to your position, on the other hand the terminal would most likely be able to tell you.

You give it a few exerimental touches and you seem to have got the rhythm going that would be able to command it to do things, it even creates a holographic keyboard in front of you - full of meaningless symbols - but you might, given time be able to work out what to type in in order to perform certain more direct things. However it does seem to have other interfaces built in - for better or for worse.

In fact a few appropriate 'presses' and gestures conjures a holographic image of a being that you don't recognise. Given how prominent this image is and how accessible it is, it would seem to imply that they were/are likely someone important for this place, and/or they created this terminal - or perhaps even the computer powering it.

Either way the creature resembles a human somewhat, but generally taller and more slender, with pointed, angular features and instead of hair they possess crystalling growths upon their head, creating a facsimilee of hair. The image is surprisingly high definition actually, as colours forms into the image they are depicted wearing red-and-gold robes, and seem to wear a lot of jewellery, their eyes seem lke humans - but slitted like a cat's, and possessing green eyes, their skin is a bluish tone and has an odd sheen to it.

Although you can't read the symbols of the language used yet, a name or something like that appears with the seemingly masculine figure (at least as far as you can gather from an alien race)

OOC: I'd show some sort of depiction of their name but it's a little difficult right now, for similar reasons there's no updated map.

As you ponder the image of a strange (but entirely unmothlike) being, your train of thought is disurpted by the heavy approach of Oy.

Also if whomever made this column, and presumably the computer powering it wasn't at all like that 'statue' you saw, or the desiccated remains, then what were they?

What do you do?

Korak

Jaryd nods in response to your request

Nothing bad seems to have happened thus far in this new room, however Lyrius seems to be deeply glancing about the chamber (without getting any appreciable distance further into it), so it would be premature to do anything else yet. But at least it doesn't seem that the statues themselves are trapped, as evinced by Asher's continued clinging to one without it responding in any meaningful way.

What do you do

Victor

The remaining survivors murmur amongst themselves, but seem very willing to hold tight while the others scout ahead. Oy having done something daring and made it up to where Orestes disappeared off to and so he has also vanished to somewhere upstairs. Meanwhile the only remaining guard of any note in the group, Vas Th'nox has gone down the hatch.

But you're somewhat ditracted by all these things, beyond the shock of the flawed gem's energy surge still resounding through your armour. Though you are getting the distinct feeling that what you are feeling now is somewhat related. There is a weird signal you're picking up, but it's not by any sensor intalled in the suit, you're feeling a weird vibration combined with odd static discharges emanating from the energy cannon. Maybe something got lodged in there?

Either way, with a bit of experimentation you determine that these effects seem strongest when the cannon is pointed towards a specific direction. From here you'd estimate... horizontally, north-north-west, vertically... slightly down. Hmm.

What do you do?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Orestes Candlemeet

Alright, there's computer access in this place. Orestes can't read it, but it's a start. And it comes with a picture of a VIP too, which is probably the best she's going to get by randomly pressing buttons. Said VIP's the fleshiest thing she's seen on this planet so far, too. These crystal-haired people are probably the ones who made this whole place, if they put this in. Maybe they made the moth-statues as a servitor race? Or maybe she's just extrapolating way too much from one picture. That's also a... Oh, right. Oy was yelling something earlier. Guess he found a way up.

"Oh hey, Oy. Got a bit distracted by all this, or I would've welcomed you up here. You understand, don't ya? Course you do." Orestes gives him a light slap on the back, in that "kind of joking, kind of doesn't give a drat" way. "So, uh, I hope you found a ladder down there and didn't just jump ten feet straight up. Because I like the company but I don't want to be stuck up here with you and that moth statue, wherever it ran off to."

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Asher

Finding purchase, Asher scrambled up onto the statue's head and perched hawkishly, eyes gazing about the room from this new vantage. Nothing new made itself readily apparent, but an idea did flicker across its synapses.

Glancing back to the entrance, Asher bobbed its head at Lyrius and Korak.

"Asher does not trust floor. Light plays funny tricks." The beams had played a part in securing the door before Victor handily dealt with it. No reason to think anything had changed. "It will try thing."

Grabbing hold of the statue's staff, Asher slowly stood up, distributing weight to each shoulder of the sculpture. Once it was sure of its footing Asher began to slowly rock forwards and back, testing how securely the thing was secured to the floor. If it proved to be kept in place by weight alone...well, something this heavy smashing into the ground ought to play merry havoc with any traps. Right?

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Asher

You shift your weight around and rock back and forth atop the large statue. Given your bountiful weight and the armour you are clad in (though it might in fact be secured to you) you would imagine that if it was merely standing here that that would destabilise it and cause it to likely topple!

Oddly enough it doesn't shift at all whatsoever, there is a slight clink upon the finer areas of the statue but the base of it doesn't move one mote, it doesn't even seemingly strain against any nails or other materials that might be securing it to the floor. You get the feeling that... maybe it is part of the floor? Not that you have much experience with statues but even to you that seems odd, I mean how would it even be made...

Regardless of your thoughts (or lack thereof) on the matter the statue remains unmoved and seems exceptionally stable and well-made.

This seems reminiscent of something you've done before to do with statues, what was it?

Your decision was so sudden that few if any had a chance to react to your actions, however not much seems to have been caused by them - presumably much to the relief of the more sensible types with you.

The light glints prettily throughout the chamber but seemingly not in response to your motions, but rather as an effect of the pretty crystal-and-light methods that were employed in creating such an exotic place.

Also, what do you do?

Edit: Adding another question (to make things more interesting)

Infinite Oregano fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 29, 2015

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Lyrius

I lean back into the doorway, and let out a held breath before speaking.
"Alright people, we have some high capacity arcane currents running under the floor, looks like there are several pressure sensitive tiles in a pattern across the whole room. I can't tell exactly what's gonna happen if we trigger it, but my best guess is...Boom.

It appears Arcano-Mechanical in nature, that seems like it's more Victor's thing."

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Korak
HP 14/24 | Armor 1 | Status: Sick (-con), Resigned | Appetite: Nil | XP 8

Korak sighs, and his shoulders slump. "Of course it's trapped. Always, with the traps. What mad people lived here? At very least, the statues have not come to life and attack us. I really expected that."

He grumbles, and adds, "I hate golems so much."

He leans in and tilts his head a few different ways, watching the light play off the lines on the floor. He says, "gently caress this room. Too many traps, nothing to gain but shiny rocks. We continue a slow, methodic exploration: we only bother with traps unless we are completely sure how to avoid them, or else when all other caverns are explored. Asher, see if you can get that lantern staff loose, then jump back, please. Wizard," (Lyrius) "If you believe the trap can be contained in the next room, maybe throw a rock at it and shut the door. See if it can be expended."

He backs out to the previous chamber to see what the rest of the party has found. He hears Oy and Orestes discussing something from above, and looks for a way to climb up after them... then boggles for a moment when he realizes that Oy just hopped up there, no big deal. Impressive vertical. Vas is being very quiet, so he says, "Vas: Report, please."

Vas probably doesn't respond, because he has fallen down a hole. Korak climbs down the storeroom ladder, on high alert, to check on Vas's fate, and I will assume sees the crates, and the hole, and probably some of Vas's mutant secretions, and can make some assumptions. He makes some clicky swears, then leans over the hole and shouts, "Vas! You alive?"

Let's also pop open one of those crates and see what's inside.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Vas Th'nox | HP 14/22 | Armor 1 | Mutant Hold 2 | XP 5

"SSSSSHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTT!!!!!!" Vas can't help but scream as he tips into the vent and slides. But before long, the screaming starts to feel melodramatic, so he cuts it out. And the vent just keeps on going... It's a little awkward, but at least it gives Vas a chance to prepare for whatever's coming up by coiling up his recently-solidified wing muscles. If he sees a wall coming up, he can use his claws and wings to try to slow himself at least a little. But fortunately, it turns out to be an open shaft - when Vas hits the void, he lets the grate fall away, spreads his wings wide, and flaps against his own momentum, hoping to slow himself down before he clatters clumsily into the vent entrance across the shaft...

DD (Str): 2d6 3
:rolleyes:

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Asher

Bobbing its head towards Korak again, Asher reassured itself of its footing and grasped the staff in both hands. It took a breath and caught the stern gaze of one of the stoic crystal guardians, and was frozen.

~

"Scooch over, I can't see!" The voice was high and clear as a bell, even when whispered.

"Shhh! They'll hear us." Came the reply, in a voice that Asher's mind blanched away from as though burned.

They were perched atop a statue of Dame Alkirk, one of the many heroes immortalized in stone in this hallowed hall. There was the lady they were using as a vantage point, of course. Dame Alkirk had given her life healing the sick when the Great Plague swept across the land. Three tireless months she spent, allowing herself no respite. When the second-to-last of the victims was wrapped in his shroud, and the very last collapsed into a deep healing sleep, she finally made her way to her quarters. There she died, still in the midst of prayer as she thanked the gods for granting her the strength she needed. And there was Sir Albrecht who slew the Storm Drake Ashlandra a generation past, and Father Broadcloak who drove the swamp krakens from the country nearly five hundred years before that, and all the others. They could all recount the names and deeds of these heroes - short rations and a beating were the least you earned for slacking in your studies.

From the head of the hall came a sonorous voice as the King bade his newest servant stand and be recognized as a true knight.

"Do you think he'll take one of us as squire?"

"Yeah, and it's going to be me!" The mind recoiled again.

"Fat chance! I can outfight you any day of the week!"

~

Asher's eyes snapped open, claws still gripping the staff in a vice grip. It felt cold and clammy and altogether unsure of itself. It shook its head, willing the vision to leave it be. Taking another breath, Asher's muscles bulged as it pulled relentlessly against the statue's grip. It ignored the cry for mercy from its body. The pain made the unsettling thoughts go away, like dew in the sunlight. Tearing a few ligaments was an acceptable tradeoff.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Oy

Oy wanders through the dusty hallways, grabbing studd here and there whenever he runs across something he considers useful.

quote:

Equipment:
Load: 3/28

Fists (blunt, hand)
Leather Armor, eatable (1 armor, 1 weight)
Adventuring gear (10 uses, 2 weight)
Healing Potions
Fancy hat
Bag of 12 coins

He walks up to Oreste and looks and the shimmering hologram in front of her

"Yo, watup. Figured it was better to not let anyone wander around these halls, who know what kind of place this used to be. But unless you are willing to piggyback back down, I'm afraid we gonna have to find another way down."

He looks up at the hologram of the creature.

"Don't know where you're from, but that doesn't look like a moth person to me"

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Orestes Candlemeet

"What? No, I wasn't talking about that! I was talking about the-" Breath in. Breath out. "Forget it. Just say something if you see any crystal moths walking around and it'll be fine. Now c'mon, we got a lot of ground to cover if we want to reach everybody else." And so Orestes steps past the pillar and begins walking down the right hallway, confident that Oy is following close behind.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Korak

Descending the ladder and finding no sign of Vas Th'nox, you instead have a peek inside one of the crates that inexplicably litter this chamber. Their placement here does beg a few questions, such as how they even got in here, or would be retrieved should anyone want them. But perhaps they were merely here to store things that people took down to here, and once finished removed.

Regardless you have a look inside and find a mostly empty crate. At a glance, at least. However with further scrutiny comes the realisation that something else lies within this crate, almost blending into the bluish crystalline colouring that vastly dominates this place: A small crystalline box, well-made and secure with a simple latch upon it. Within the box sits a strangely bent disk of crystalline material, nestled upon some kind of gleaming fabric - woven and strange. Perhaps the disc is a lens?

You hear a shout from inside the open square hole in the wall that you presume Vas disappeared through, distracting you from your observations.

What do you do?

Vas Th'nox

You try to beat your wings in the suddenly open area you find yourself in, but the sudden, violent motion sprains your newborn muscles and you feel a sudden pain before the momentum that you had remaining carries you over and you strike against an opposite surface to the vent you left (sadly not an entrance to another vent), stunning you briefly and knocking you back towards the middle of the shaft. As you come to your senses you try again but at this velocity your wings are being particularly uncooperative as you plummet through the dimly lit (yet still oddly enough, lit) shaft.

You don't get much of a chance to see many things as you drop, but you do notice a fair few other ventilation tunnels going off elsewhere into this place, even at the further depth that you are dropping. This place seems pretty big.

Your thoughts are interrupted as you slam into bottom of the shaft, driving the wind from your body, your vision blurring as consciousness fades.

Roll 1d10 and take that much damage (ignoring armour)

Although your time beyond the world of the conscious is fleeting, during that time what would ordinarily be timeless blackness is replaced by... an odd sussurus, and half-glimpsed visions of clouds of moths.

When you come to you find yourself no longer within the confines of the shaft, seemingly while unconscious your body slid down another vent, knocking out a grate that is lying nearby, and having deposited you within a large, brightly lit chamber. A deep bass humming echoes throughout - with crystalline afterechoes that lie upon the edge of hearing, and seemingly emanating from a huge, seemingly finely-etched crystal hanging from the ceiling and almost touching the floor, the huge crystal dominates most of the chamber - it is emitting a brilliant, dazzling light that is suffusing the entire chamber and might affect someone of a lesser calibre than yourself more deleteriously, but is merely a nuisance.

Such is the great crystal's size that you cannot readily see much else in the chamber, asides from sets of walkways that encircle the chamber - forming a second tier, a section of walkway extending towards the crystal and stopping at some sort of crystalline protrusion that hangs down from the ceiling - placing itself between the walkway and the crystal. Perhaps it is some kind of control panel? Either way the only way from the ground floor up to the walkways appears to be a few ladders that you can see from your prone position, but with such an oddly-designed room who knows what lies upon the other side.

The way back from here would require traversing a largely frictionless ventilation network, not a particularly good prospect - especially given your initial experience.

What do you do?

Asher

Slowly, but surely your physical capabilities overcome the vice-like grip of the robed statue, and a crystalline shrieking emanates throughout the chamber as you slide the lantern-staff out of its grasp. Before long you manage to free it, although it is not a simple thing to hold, being fairly heavy - and built for someone taller than you. Still, you are a prime physical specimen, so it isn't too much trouble for you to hold it, and given time you could probably wield it with some efficacy - even if it was never truly designed to be a weapon, merely a representation of one.

With a few experimental twists you have determined that the lantern (although not containing anything currently) appears to have only been hooked on to the staff's hook, and not attached or part of one piece.

No-one else has advanced in this chamber, perhaps the warnings of Lyrius has put them off. Korak in fact has gone back somewhere, and has began calling out to people.

What do you do?

Oy & Orestes

As you step away from the what seems to be some kind of crystalline terminal using strange technology (and presumably magic), a strange shimmer and glint is caught in the corners of your eyes.

Orestes

You barely get the chance to react as you turn, as you find a vaguely humanoid, seemingly crystalline entity that looks like it maybe once was that moth-like thing you saw earlier, but it appears too... flexible, and is showing severe signs of dislocation, at least according to the anatomy you'd imagine such a form to possess. It lunges at you with razor-edged spikes that have erupted from one of its forearms, needle-like in nature!

What do you do?

Oy

You are given little opportunity to react before you turn and find some sort of strange crystalline, quasi-humanoid creature, possessing some moth-like traits but moving at hideous angles, like it has broken bones or dislocated joints or maybe it's a puppet on invisible strings. It makes nary a sound as it lunges at Orestes, bearing needle-like crystalline shards that jut from what you presume to be arms.

What do you do?

quote:

Victor

The remaining survivors murmur amongst themselves, but seem very willing to hold tight while the others scout ahead. Oy having done something daring and made it up to where Orestes disappeared off to and so he has also vanished to somewhere upstairs. Meanwhile the only remaining guard of any note in the group, Vas Th'nox has gone down the hatch.

But you're somewhat ditracted by all these things, beyond the shock of the flawed gem's energy surge still resounding through your armour. Though you are getting the distinct feeling that what you are feeling now is somewhat related. There is a weird signal you're picking up, but it's not by any sensor intalled in the suit, you're feeling a weird vibration combined with odd static discharges emanating from the energy cannon. Maybe something got lodged in there?

Either way, with a bit of experimentation you determine that these effects seem strongest when the cannon is pointed towards a specific direction. From here you'd estimate... horizontally, north-north-west, vertically... slightly down. Hmm.

What do you do?

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Asher

Grasping the staff-lamp, Asher maneuvered around and leapt back towards the entrance. It gave Lyrius a sickly grin as it stepped through the doors back into the makeshift camp site.

"Korak. It has-" Asher paused as it saw so sign of the bug man. How irritating. Glancing about, it caught sight of the open hatch and made it's way over. As it went, it pointed to one of the survivors, than to the door it had just emerged from. "You. Stand with Lyrius. Watch." It didn't bother to give the person a second look. Obedience was simply assumed.

Coming up to the hatch, Asher crouched down and wiped a string of drool from its jaws as it peered in. There he was. "Korak. It has thing. Is Vas-guard alive? It heard noises."

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Oy

In a knee-jerk reaction, Oy lets his massive arm dart forward, trying to stop the needle attack before it can reach the squisher witch woman.

Defend +Con: 2d6+2 8 - Redirect an attack from the thing you defend to yourself

e X fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jul 10, 2015

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Korak
HP 14/24 | Armor 1 | Status: Sick (-con), Resigned | Appetite: Nil | XP 8

He gives a satisfied click to Asher, and says, "Vas... fell down this hole, I think. Sleek edges, long drop. Climbing down after him would be a horrible, horrible idea. He will probably be fine? Vas has very flexible body, some shape-shifting. Probably stuck to the side, or made a web, or sprouted wings, or something. If any of us had to fall down a very deep hole, I would want it to be Vas."

He spots the stick-lantern and adds, "Good job, thing could be useful. Don't think we actually have another lantern. Most of us have very poor dark vision."

Turning over the cloth and the glass in his claws, he adds, "Found another neat thing down here, looks like a..."

Spout Lore: What is This Thing: 2d6 11

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Orestes Candlemeet

drat, this thing got close fast. This thing got close really goddamn fast. Too fast to react properly. Too fast to get her goggles on. But not fast enough to keep her from thrusting her hand forward and starting a basic thaumaturgic reaction in the air. What kind of reaction? Well, Orestes isn't really sure. You can't be too careful with things when you're doing it this fast. The main thing is that it's going to be bright.

Going to roll for Black Magic, applying the Reach and Debilitating tags. (Debilitating due to being a giant flash of light being shot into a moth's face while it's mid-lunge.) Black Magic: 2d6+2 12 Damage: 1d4 4 (Would be d8, but it's halved by Debilitating so whatever, same difference.)

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Asher

"Hnh." Asher was as insightful as ever. Grabbing hold of the ladder, it swung itself into the shaft and quickly slid down, still grasping the staff. As feet touched down it crouched and sniffed the air cautiously, ears peeled back against its skull. A faint echo from that hole off to the side? Or just the place playing tricks on it? No matter.

Discern Realities: 2d6 7
What happened here recently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Oy

You rapidly interpose yourself between this creature and Orestes. She manages to get off some sort of burning light spell which dazzles it and singes it somewhat, however its momentum is largely undeterred as the needle-like shards that just from its arm stabbing into arms, piercing your armour entirely and... weirdly drawing no blood? That could have been worse, since it was taken aback by the blinding lights caused by the witch.

Roll two d10s, and take damage equal to the lowest of the two dice, Piercing 2

The spines and its arm starts to... take on more colours actually - going redder, before moving onto more 'natural' hues as you feel a chilling sensation move through your arm. It's sucking your blood... a fact you become more intensely aware of as it grabs on to you with its other arms and tries to hold on as its pulsing spines try to pump more and more of your precious lifeblood from you. Even somewhat blinded, it doesn't need to see to hold on to you - and all the while it remains disquietingly silent, its grasp is cold and crystalline - but you feel it beginning to pulse as it holds you.

What do you do?

Korak

Well, upon closer examination - making sure to hold the object with the cloth that it was found in - and letting the light pass through it at different angles you have gained some insight into its nature. At a glance it appears to be a lens, but that is gross oversimplification of what this seems to do. Although you currently lack the tools (though given that you found it in this place, there is more than likely something around here that will suffice) to fully utilise this, it would seem to be... some kind of data storage diskette, though perhaps something more than that - given what it might contain. Obviously it works based on incredibly advanced optical manipulation to form an internal structure that allows light passing through it to receive (or emit) a signal imprinted in the disc, though you also get staticky feeling of magic from this as you examine it, so it might have something even more advanced or complicated placed upon it.

Although this isn't precisely what you've encountered before, it is a close enough of an analogue that your confidence does not seem unfounded, still this is rather strange knowledge for one such as yourself to possess, how did you come to know this?

As you ponder this Asher has made their way into the room and has begun sniffing around. Still no sign of Vas Th'nox, you might well be correct about his becoming lost. Orestes and Oy have probably gone somewhere relatively distant, you can't hear them any-more.

What do you do now?

Orestes Candlemeet

You manage to get off a spell to strike at this fell creature, a flash of burning light that sears it somehow. Its form does seem resilient, but you've definitely made a mark on it - blackening an area around its head. Oy interposes himself between you and the creature, and although its momentum was not going to be so easily stopped, it seems that your distraction managed to weaken the blow it laid upon Oy. However that would not seem to be its only danger, as it maintains its spines stabbed into Oy and has begun extracting his blow, its form beginning to lose the weird translucency that it had - initially red colour entering its form, before turning into what are presumably more natural hues. Still, you think you may have blinded it, for now - but it doesn't need to see to do what it is doing right now.

Furthermore it looks as though it is gaining strength from Oy's blood. This is not good, particularly as it has brought several of its other arms around at their disjointed angles and has begun to cling to Oy, in order to prevent it from being forced away.

What do you do?

Asher

Recently. Now that's a relative term that tugs at your mind. It would seem that this chamber in particular has remained undisturbed for quite some time. But consequently, there are subtle signs that tell of what happened here last, before your compatriots entered. Smell and sight seem more applicable than sound in this case. There are subtle smells, due to this place's relatively undisturbed nature - that otherwise would have been lost to the smell of people and beasts, and their actions. The ceiling here is... strange, when you give it a proper look and smell.

Although nothing is immediately dangerous about it, you get the feeling that it has been... magically altered in the past, quite some time ago maybe, but there's a definite - and very subtle - odour about it that you associate with some magic. Similarly, the patterning about it is slightly off when you scrutinise it carefully enough, compared to the walls and floor. A very very slight almost ripple-like pattern has been formed some time ago, and unlikely to have been worked.

It would seem that the ceiling (and presumably the floor to the room above you) have been previously (although not too recently, but mostly likely one of the final things done to this room before it was closed up) magically altered, and given the ripple patterns - and a smell that you now find on the crates that surround you, might indicate that the crates in question were somehow magically phased or slid through the crystalline material above you, in order to move it between rooms. After all, the crates are far too big to go through any physical entrance or exit that you can see in here.

Though whether this magic still remains, or if it was something mastered alone by the people who made this place is up for questioning.

How could you come to these associations with this form of shaping magic? Also, what do you do now?

Infinite Oregano fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jul 13, 2015

• Locked thread