Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
:siren: CLICK HERE BEFORE CONTINUING :siren:

That's right, it's that time of decade when Liam Howlett and company step out of the haze and face the world, armed with a new album. The Day Is My Enemy is the group's sixth studio album, due for release at the end of March. Here's what Wikipedia has to say about it.

Three tracks from the album have already been released digitally, the first entitled "Nasty":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB_nKpEkILs

It was released as a digital package with three remixes on the 2nd of Feb. The second is the title track, as linked at the top, which isn't getting an official release but you'll find it at the usual digital outlets. Similarly there is Wild Frontier. There may or may not be another single planned before the album's release.
---

So, who is/are/am The Prodigy anyway?

The Prodigy started out as one man's bedroom project, he got a few of his mates to help him out, and at some point they turned into an internationally acclaimed live act. Here's a rundown:

Liam Howlett - The self-styled, titular Prodigy, Liam's been producing music under various guises for over a quarter of a century, and is one of the forefathers of the electronic/rave movement, a scene which has exploded in the last few years. His star waning these days, Liam spends most of his time moaning about said scene, but he can still put out a banger or two when the time comes.

Keith Flint - The face of the group, the lead vocalist/MC/dancer/entertainer/Vyvyan Basterd came to the forefront with the massive success of Firestarter, and just kinda stayed there. Still spitting out punk-laced lyrics and going absolutely mental on stage to this day.

Maxim - Otherwise known as Maxim Reality, which was a cool as hell name in the early 90s. Performs a similar role to Keith, but in a much more understated fashion, one slightly more respectable of a man in his forties. Produces a lot of solo stuff too, which is out there if you look for it.

Once upon a time there was also...

Leeroy Thornhill - A dancer, was a bit of a showman. Also a producer, and left the group largely to concentrate on that. Click here for more info on his wiki, which is what I just did.

---

Okay, but what have he/they/it actually done?

Well, as mentioned, TDIME is their sixth album, meaning they've put out five before that, three of which are regularly argued about as to which is their best. Here's a bit on each, with Youtube links aplenty:

Experience - A masterpiece from a golden era of breakbeat "oldskool" hardcore, also considered a relic of that era, but a classic regardless. Perhaps best known for Out Of Space, a seminal pulsating anthem that gets played out regularly even today, and of course Charly, the most British of tunes (here's a link to the single version, the best known of the mixes).

Music For The Jilted Generation - Take Experience, refine it and mature it for a couple of years, and you get MFTJG. Most consider it their greatest, and with good reason. Full of big hitters and rave anthems such as No Good, Poison, and the remixer's plaything in Voodoo People, but is most lauded for the three track Narcotic Suite that rounds the album off beautifully.

The Fat Of The Land - If you've heard of a Prodigy album, it's this one. The album that shot them into the stratosphere, the fluid mix of punk/rock and electronica in an era where both sides were at war with each other, the great divider of opinion. You all know Firestarter, Smack My Bitch Up, and Breathe, though it should also be recognised for the less intense tracks such as Narayan and Climbatize.

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned - Out of a seven year itch of sex, drugs and rock & roll came AONO, an album that couldn't quite scratch it for the group's old fans, despite mass anticipation. Nevertheless, it still plays host to a number of popular and successful tunes, from the emphatic Spitfire to the energetic Hot Ride, to the, um, enigmatic Girls.

Invaders Must Die - The second album of the half-decade relevancy cycle the group have gotten themselves into, IMD was a bit more successful, with even the cynics conceding that at least it wasn't AONO. The first album to feature a title track, Invaders Must Die achieved moderate success, though Omen was the album's big hitter, while Warrior's Dance is perhaps the closest the group will get to replicating the early 90s sound.

---

So there we go. Speculate about the new album, argue into the night about their previous albums, and have a good old Prodigy time.

HJB fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

The Day Is My Enemy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLRJ_oPmbt8

01. The Day Is My Enemy - Is this. Was originally this, which became this. Will probably not end up being like that. Have literally put out a teaser for it as I was typing this. Kinda sounds like this.
02. Nasty - Is this.
03. Rebel Radio - Is this. Will be this (Facebook). Partially reworked from this.
04. Ibiza - Is this. Features these guys. Likely to be a short diss track, also likely to be embarrassingly British. Will be released on vinyl along with an instrumental on the 18th of April.
05. Destroy - Is this. Will be this/this. Was originally an unreleased track called "Destroy The Melody" featuring Wiley.
06. Wild Frontier - Is this. Is partially this. An Amazon cock-up suggests it might be the next single.
07. Rok-Weiler - See video above. Played a million times live, such as here. Has not been altered since.
08. Beyond The Deathray - Is this. Unknown. What the hell kind of name is that.
09. Rhythm Bomb - See video above. Features this guy, so will almost certainly be terrible. Might be this (Instagram), apparently.
10. Roadblox - See video above. Will be this. Is partially this (Instagram). Largely reworked from this.
11. Get Your Fight On - Is this. Has been reworked, will be this (Instagram). Includes this (Facebook). Old version was played out live a few times, such as here and here.
12. Medicine - Is this. Unknown.
13. Invisible Sun - Is this. Unknown. Unlikely to be a Police cover.
14. Wall Of Death - Is this. Will be this. Massively hyped track, this one.
15. Rise Of The Eagles (Bonus Track) - Not on YouTube yet. Is a cover of The Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster's track. Might partially feature this.

HJB fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 4, 2015

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Fuckin' stoked for a new Prodigy album partly because I'm sure it's gonna be a good album and partly because it might mean they'll get their asses to Finland again. The two Prodigy shows I've seen easily rank as some of the most insane live experiences I've ever seen, the crowd just goes loving nuts at the very first beat.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Fell in love with The Prodigy only a few years ago (I know, I was real late). Unfortunately, Nasty didn't really blow me away like, say, all of Invaders Must Die did. Hopefully it ends up being one of the weaker tracks on the album and the rest is better.

Also I saw Maxim do a DJ set at a festival last year and it was cool, though the whole time I was wishing it was a full Prodigy show instead because I can imagine their live shows are pretty bonkers.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

For those who can't wait to hear more, the group have put up teasers on their Facebook and Instagram pages dating back a good few months. Here's one I'm deliberately going to post because it caused quite a stir:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152806823208249

There's suggestions it could be a piss-take intro leading into something like Ibiza, but we'll see.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

They did an interview recently with The Guardian and what they were saying pointed to a group that's wayyyyyyyy out of the loop when it comes to music today. It's like none of them have listened to anything from the past 8/9 years, I know it's all posturing but gently caress me some of the quotes are laughable.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/jan/17/the-prodigy-the-day-is-my-enemy-oasis-blur

Someone alluded to this being the Rhythm Bomb track with Flux Pavilion. Sounds like 2009. http://instagram.com/p/rmZZjNhwEe/

I should probably state here I've been a fan since the first album but somewhere along the line instead of Keith just being Prodigy's Bez, he got a vocal on a track and it's been downhill ever since. His first vocal was Firestarter wasn't it? That was the point when poo poo starting going off the rails, Firestarter was such a bomb that Howlett added Keith on loads of stuff but it never reached that high point again. It got to the point where I began skipping tracks because Keith shouldn't be anywhere near a mic.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 22, 2015

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, that Guardian article is pure cringe, but like you say, it's all posturing. They know they have tons of fans who like them for being The Prodigy, the rest of us just hope there's some good stuff on the album. Reactions to that Facebook clip of TDIME seem positive enough anyway.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Zane Lowe will play the title track on his Radio 1 show this Monday at 7pm - :nws: http://instagram.com/p/yKoIVHO4Pe/ :nws:

Bit worrying it's all going through him at the moment (he had the first play of Nasty too).

E:

88h88 posted:

[Keith's] first vocal was Firestarter wasn't it?

Found a recent quote from an article about the track which backs this up:

quote:

Liam: “I wrote that in ’95, only a year or so after Voodoo People. I seem to have waves where I’m quite creative and I was writing very quickly at that point. I’d heard Foo Fighters’ Weenie Beenie and I really loved that song and the whole album. I loved the sound because it just sounded like a band in a room and there was so much energy in that room. I got together with Jim Davies [former Prodigy live guitarist and former Pitchshifter guitarist] and we created this riff.

This was Keith [Flint’s] first vocal track and, up until that point, it had always been me on my own with the band on the couch chopping one out, pouring a glass and going, ‘loving yeah, come on!’ I’d got the rough cut of the track and Keith popped in to see what I was working on. I played it to him, thinking of it as an intro for the record. He said, ‘If ever there’s a track that I can sing on, it’s that one.’ I thought, ‘OK, well let’s try it’. I hooked a mic up and it worked straight away.

“After we finished the track, we drove home with it blasting on the car stereo and I just knew it was the next single. I didn’t have any other tracks but I just knew that one had to go out straight away. I was on the phone to the record company the next day going, ‘This tune is going to gently caress you up’.

“It led to the media saying that we should be banned. It was just loving ridiculous. What were they worried about? They didn’t like what he was saying? That’s his loving personality. Also lots of people started comparing Keith to John Lydon just because he shouts down a mic and that was unfair. I didn’t give a poo poo about the tabloids though. But that song took everyone by surprise. Chris Evans was on Radio 1 at the time and wouldn’t play it and then no-one at Radio 1 would play it.

“I knew that would go to Number One, everyone was talking about it, you could just feel it. Something was happening, you could feel it was important. We were lapping it up too, we weren’t scared of anything. The only problem we had after that song was that I couldn’t get the album done fast enough.”

HJB fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jan 23, 2015

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

"Nasty" isn't really doing much for me, it kind of sounds like a mediocre B-side from Invaders Must Die. But I'll definitely give the full album a listen. It would be cool if they did another North American tour. I saw them in Seattle in 2009 and it definitely ranks as one of my top live concert experiences even though they didn't hit the stage until like 1:30 am and I'd gotten up at 6:30 that morning to drive out there.

As an aside, this got linked to me in the last Prodigy thread I think and is pretty cool. It's a 75-minute mashup of a bunch of the tracks that they've sampled from over the years. Some neat stuff in there that I'd never picked up on (Funky poo poo borrowing from the S.W.A.T. theme song sticks out, also the last track on Invaders was a Manfred Mann sample of all things).

http://www.mixcloud.com/huskiii/what-sample-lurks/

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Narayan and Climbatize were very important parts of my childhood (And to a lesser extent the Sunrise remix of Fire).

Going in with an open mind to this one.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Zinc's done a remix of Nasty:
https://soundcloud.com/zinc/nasty-nasty-zinc-mix-the-prodigy-16-masteredwav

It's good if you like funky house or Zinc's recent stuff.

Also, the person that took the photo that inspired the album cover has stepped forward:
http://www.ianwadephotography.co.uk/urban-fox-image-used-in [Photo Page] [Original Image]

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Someone found a full-size version of that image:

Meanwhile, 31 and a half hours ish until TDIME is played out for the first time, how exciting.

Also, as someone mentioned the thread for the last album, here it is for archives-havers:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3019234

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for letting me know.

Is the 90s vibe purposely?

I just scrolled up. OK.

Zeluth fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jan 25, 2015

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Didn't like Nasty at all, and I'm nervous about them working with Flux Pavilion, but I'll keep my fingers crossed. I thought Invaders Must Die was pretty great, so I still have hope.

Also agree with the above poster who says they're one of the best live acts. Absolutely unforgettable.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

88h88 posted:

They did an interview recently with The Guardian and what they were saying pointed to a group that's wayyyyyyyy out of the loop when it comes to music today. It's like none of them have listened to anything from the past 8/9 years, I know it's all posturing but gently caress me some of the quotes are laughable.

This has been the case since probably after AONO. I had a realisation that Prodigy had become my generation's Metallica or Iron Maiden - they consciously stopped being the new sound and just concentrated on being totally awesome at what they do. I'd see Metallica or Maiden in a heartbeat, despite not really knowing the music very well, simply because anyone who's spent that long refining a show and a style is going to be good. I'll buy The Day is my Enemy, but only as kind of accompinant to seeing them in Cardiff in May. I felt the same with Invaders.

I do pine for the days of Jilted though. It's a world apart from anything else they've done. Liam has shown part of that soundtrack vibe as flourishes in his later work, but never goes all the way. He's too absorbed in the live shows and The Prodigy as a band (as apposed to a solo project, which Jilted essentially was). Ironically it was touring Jilted that killed Jilted.

As for Nasty - I immediately thought of Omen. The tempo is the same, the beat is similar and the drum hits are basically the same as Omen. It's a tad more sophisticated than Omen though, feeling more like a punk or new wave song that was made into a techno song. I think Keith is actually a really good lyricist (listen to Flint's Device 1 album), and Nasty is clearly his. Omen is pure oafish Maxim (but I love him really). It needed to come out no more than a year after Invaders really. Coming out so long after is a disappointment, but drat can I not stop listening to it.

Did anyone mention the vocal on TDIME is clearly Juliet Lewis? She was totally awesome on AONO, and so, so right for The Prodigy, giving a much needed sexy edge to an otherwise very testosterone fueled band.

Fake edit: was considering starting a Prodigy thread, but didn't think there was enough love. I think the Invaders one petered out.

EvilGenius fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 25, 2015

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

EvilGenius posted:

As for Nasty - I immediately thought of Omen. The tempo is the same, the beat is similar and the drum hits are basically the same as Omen. It's a tad more sophisticated than Omen though, feeling more like a punk or new wave song that was made into a techno song. I think Keith is actually a really good lyricist (listen to Flint's Device 1 album), and Nasty is clearly his. Omen is pure oafish Maxim (but I love him really). It needed to come out no more than a year after Invaders really. Coming out so long after is a disappointment, but drat can I not stop listening to it.
Aw, what? :( Omen is one of my favorite tracks from IMD and Nasty doesn't even come close to sounding that good for me.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
I'd like to fill in a little of that 7 year gap between FOTL and AONO, if I may!

The Prodigy are a touring band. They tour. A lot. In fact it's pretty much all they loving do, which goes some way to explaining why the gaps between albums have been so big, post FOTL. We get the same set lists over months and years, with a trickle of additions, sometimes full blown tracks, more often 'fills'. Fills are essentially the beginnings of songs that Liam couldn't be arsed to develop into full tracks, sandwiched between proper tracks. They go some way to revealing, IMO, that Liam suffers rather badly from writer's block since FOTL (though even FOTL itself is only 10 tracks and 3 b-sides).

Keeping in mind that Firestarter came out in the spring of '96, they were touring FOTL unil 1999. Then they stopped. Liam was the first to do a solo project, with 1999's Dirtchamber Sessions mix album. Maxim followed shortly with Hell's Kitchen. Meanwhile, Keith is climbing the walls looking for something to do. Drugs mainly. Here's a guy who went to a rave, as a kid, in 1991 that suddenly ended in 1999.

They got back together for a 'come back' tour in 2002, minus Leeroy. They were mentally, physically, and audibly tired. Maxim's normally good natured pleas to the audience to give it some now sounded angry and desperate. Keith was a bit of a mess from the drugs. Liam speaks through his music of course, and the 3 new tracks that were dropped into the set list, Trigger, Nuclear and Baby's Got A Temper were often referred to as sounding like a parody of the band.

A tweaked version of Baby's Got A Temper (NSW) was released that year. It's a pretty embarrassing moment in the band's history. The live version wasn't so bad - probably the most tolerable and clever of the 3 new ones - a song about the recreational use of rohypnol, the music is evocative of a twisted lullaby. Closer to Sneaker Pimps than Prodigy (unfortunately I can't find a video of this version). The single was an overproduced mess, and of course the press mistook it (understably) as a desperate attempt at controversy (a song about a date rape drug).

Keith formed his own band, Flint around this time. Flint was likely born out of Keith faced with, at best, another long wait for the next Prodigy tour, at worst the end of the band that had kept him on a buzz for over a decade. Flint are often written off as a side note in the band's history, but it was a real turning point for Keith, who learned to deal with his adrenaline addiction in a positive way. He came on massively as a vocalist and a performer - just watch a Prodigy performance before and after 2004 and you'll see what I mean. When the album leaked it was revealed that Baby's Got A Temper was actually an adaptation of Flint's No Name, No Number. So Liam had to plunder Keith's tunes to get 3 new tracks together for their come back tour after 3 years away. Vacation, pencilled in for AONO Part 1 also appeared on Flint's album. A version of Razor showed up later on the bonus CD of The Prodigy's Their Law. It's fairly safe to assume that much of AONO Part 1 was going to be Keith's songs remixed by Liam.

Device 1, by the way was cancelled, though it produced a single Aim 4. The album leaked on-line.

Everyone was more or less convinced the Prodigy were over in 2004, until Girls appeared. Liam had found his mojo again, and he'd done it by more or less ditching Keith and Maxim and going with more of an electropop sound. AONO Part 1, the album that was going to be Liam's Chinese Democracy, was completely scrapped, and the 'real' AONO came together in around a year. It's the least Prodigy sounding Prodigy album, which is exactly the kick up the arse that Liam needed.

Edit: And we're still waiting on Dirtchamber Sessions Volume 2!

EvilGenius fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 25, 2015

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

God drat, nice work. I didn't really want to get into the nitty-gritty of their live and unreleased stuff because I figured people wouldn't really care, but I'm glad someone's proved me wrong while saving me putting in the effort.

E: Couple of things there I didn't know about (or only partially), plus some good stuff about the Flint album that I've got a copy of somewhere (and I actually bought the single) but never really gave a chance. All I ever cared about was a non-looped version of Hell Yeah!

EvilGenius posted:

Agreed that Nasty is Omen 2.0 from the couple of times I've listened to it (I want to give it more of a go but I'm holding back for the album), but perhaps with a bit more grit and bite.

EvilGenius posted:

Fake edit: was considering starting a Prodigy thread, but didn't think there was enough love. I think the Invaders one petered out.

That's why I've thrown a bunch of extra stuff in my first couple of posts, things to click on if whoever reads the thread doesn't really care either way.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Aw, what? :( Omen is one of my favorite tracks from IMD and Nasty doesn't even come close to sounding that good for me.

It's because you've heard it all before, I felt the same at first too, still do a bit.

HJB fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 25, 2015

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

HJB posted:

God drat, nice work. I didn't really want to get into the nitty-gritty of their live and unreleased stuff because I figured people wouldn't really care, but I'm glad someone's proved me wrong while saving me putting in the effort.

The thing I love about the Prodigy between 1999 and 2004 is that they become this massive rock n roll cliche. They fall out, they do solo projects, they go off the rails, somebody leaves, they churn out a lazy single. It's a good rock n roll story. One that started with a spotty kid and a Roland W30.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

colonel_korn posted:

"Nasty" isn't really doing much for me, it kind of sounds like a mediocre B-side from Invaders Must Die. But I'll definitely give the full album a listen. It would be cool if they did another North American tour. I saw them in Seattle in 2009 and it definitely ranks as one of my top live concert experiences even though they didn't hit the stage until like 1:30 am and I'd gotten up at 6:30 that morning to drive out there.

As an aside, this got linked to me in the last Prodigy thread I think and is pretty cool. It's a 75-minute mashup of a bunch of the tracks that they've sampled from over the years. Some neat stuff in there that I'd never picked up on (Funky poo poo borrowing from the S.W.A.T. theme song sticks out, also the last track on Invaders was a Manfred Mann sample of all things).

http://www.mixcloud.com/huskiii/what-sample-lurks/

Along these lines, I stumbled across these the other day - some producer steps through remakes of Prodigy tracks in Ableton:

Smack My Bitch Up http://youtu.be/eU5Dn-WaElI
Voodoo People http://youtu.be/6ZYLp5uX9Yw
Firestarter" by Jim Pavl…: http://youtu.be/6ZImvdZ3EZI

This guy completely nails each track, and gives great insight into how Liam works. I didn't quite realise how sampler heavy Prodigy tunes were. In fact, he nails it so hard I have to wonder if it's actually Liam?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

EvilGenius posted:

Along these lines, I stumbled across these the other day - some producer steps through remakes of Prodigy tracks in Ableton:

This guy completely nails each track, and gives great insight into how Liam works. I didn't quite realise how sampler heavy Prodigy tunes were. In fact, he nails it so hard I have to wonder if it's actually Liam?
loving Christ :stare: I just watched all of those. That's.....really impressive. Jesus.

Now I feel the urge to work with samples a lot more.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

People have done a bit of sleuthing and discovered that Paul Jackson is on vocal duties for the title track. His, uh, unique vocals have previously been heard on a Prodigy tune, Action Radar.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1AaKBbNGkk

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Man, that's going to erupt live.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

That's more like it.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Holy gently caress

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Well gently caress, that sure blows Nasty out of the water :stonk::fh:

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I quite like Nasty, but that is loving mental. Time to book tickets for Ally Pally I reckon.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Loving both Nasty and TDIME. We're in for a stomper.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
Holy poo poo. That is a massive banger.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

:stare: Jaaaaeeeeessusss christ.

I have the hugest poo poo-eating grin right now. That song is huge.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Seems like a pretty positive reaction. I'm hoping a couple more of the "old guard" will pop in with their views, this was never going to sound like their 90s heights but for the here and now it's a pretty solid foundation.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Honestly, both tracks so far lack the creativity and flair of previous albums. I always thought that if they weren't going to end the band on Invaders, their sixth album better be really, really good, and this just doesn't cut it so far. Run With Wolves was such a great Keith and Liam track - Nasty, catchy as it is, just doesn't live up to it. TDIME is a little close to Prodigy by numbers for comfort. It's reminiscent of Spitfire, but not as memorable. As an album track it lacks the imagination we know Liam is capable of through tracks like Thunder on the Invaders. Where's the spark? This just sounds like one of Liam's token fill tracks

I said it will erupt live, and of course it will. I just can't help but feel that the album's not going to be as exciting. AONO was probably their weakest album to date, but at least it had flair. It least it had the balls to be different. It'll be interesting to see how Nasty fairs in the charts, cos this may well be the first Prodigy album not to make it to number 1.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Much better than Nasty, but I still prefer their faster, more ravey tracks. More stuff like Warrior's Dance or even the IMD title track please!

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Here's an interview snippet that confirms the live bias of the album:

Liam Howlett Interview with The Prodigy Fanboy posted:

Danny Fanboy: The Prodigy are back in Australia! How many of the new tracks are the fans likely to hear live in Australia prior to March 30th?

Liam Howlett: WE WANT TO PLAY 7 OR 8 NEW TUNES FROM THE RECORD , OF COURSE WE WILL HAVE TO LOSE SOME , LIKE JETFIGHTER , AWOL (FOR NOW) ,, GOT TO KEEP IT FRESH FOR US , FEELS LIKE WE HAVE PLAYED THE SAME TUNES FOR AGES SO ITS ABOUT TIME TO BUST OUT THE NEW poo poo . IM STILL WRITING , SO BEATS WILL ALWAYS GET DROPPED THAT MAY NEVER GET RELEASED , THATS THE BUZZ OF IT

Liam Howlett: THE ALBUM WAS WRITTEN FOR US TO PLAY LIVE , DJS HAVE THEIR PLACE , WE HAVE OURS ,,, THERES ROOM FOR EVERYBODY ….

The rest of it's a good, if safe, read, caps lock notwithstanding.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

EvilGenius posted:

These are incredible, dude must have magic ears to be able to piece those together bit by bit from their original works, especially how mangled some of the sounds were in the final tracks.

I'd never prior to this really considered how they were constructed but I love that this is how the prodigy made their music, their assembly is as big of an upright middle finger as the rest of the bands attitude. Although the licensing royalties on all of that must have been huge, amazing they had any money left over for drugs.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

RandomCheese posted:

These are incredible, dude must have magic ears to be able to piece those together bit by bit from their original works, especially how mangled some of the sounds were in the final tracks.

I'd never prior to this really considered how they were constructed but I love that this is how the prodigy made their music, their assembly is as big of an upright middle finger as the rest of the bands attitude. Although the licensing royalties on all of that must have been huge, amazing they had any money left over for drugs.

What's even more impressive is that the originals were made well before computers were powerful enough to chop up the samples like that. They will have been done on hardware samplers. The Smack My Bitch Up one is interesting, because you hear him tweak the time stretch on the RATM sample so it sounds more like the crude Akai stretch that will have been on the original.

Oh and I seriously doubt any of that stuff is licenced. The way to tell is to read the sleeve notes - if they're licensed the writers of the sampled tune will be credited. Breeders and Art of Noise are credited on Firestarter, for example Smack My Bitch Up, if I remember correctly, only has Ultra Magnetic MCs credited. None of the old funk stuff or RATM.

EvilGenius fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 28, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

If nothing else Nasty has given us this pretty big remix from Spor. It's nothing particularly groundbreaking but y'know I'd be far more inclined to play this out than the original.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NktEGEqkUz4

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Just had a flashback to writing 'Prodigy - SMBU' on the track list of my mix tapes in case my parents saw. That's all I wanted to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

The Onen remix of Nasty was played on radio for the first time last night, there's no rips of it yet (at least none I can post) but I can tell you it's one of those sweeping house tunes that's been popular the last couple of years.

• Locked thread