Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

In every major city there is at least one indie wrestling promotion, maybe even two or three if you're lucky. In nearly all of these promotions you can expect to find skinny white guys, failed football players, an idiot in a mask, and hopefully at least one person who is actually good and is just starting a career. Talk about your local indie promotion and their cast of oddballs here.

Pittsburgh has a few promotions. I have taken a shine to Keystone State Wrestling Alliance even though I've never been to one of their shows. How can you not love the KSWA Megastars?

"The Drunken Luchadore" Joey Cuervo

Sam Squatch

Bobby Badfingers

I'm pretty sure this guy was in the Truth Commission (His name is "Sniper" by the way)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Liar Lyre posted:

"The Drunken Luchadore" Joey Cuervo
Come on, if you are going to be a lovely gimmick might as well be holding some Iron City Beer

I think this is the fed that had Lord Zoltan who has kind of gotten more cult popularity because of an unrelated Zoltan thing that the Pirates started to do in 2012/13.

Also I remember when our cool new mayor got elected, someone gave him the KSWA belt to hold up in victory

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

achillesforever6 posted:

Come on, if you are going to be a lovely gimmick might as well be holding some Iron City Beer

I think this is the fed that had Lord Zoltan who has kind of gotten more cult popularity because of an unrelated Zoltan thing that the Pirates started to do in 2012/13.

Also I remember when our cool new mayor got elected, someone gave him the KSWA belt to hold up in victory

Peduto's apparently attended their shows for years and there's a picture of him up on their webite with one of their guys.

I should really try to go to one of their shows, they run only a few blocks from where I live in the Teamster Temple that I go to once or twice every year to vote.

IWC out in the suburbs seems to be the only local fed that ever brings in anyone people would have actually heard of that aren't eligible to join the AARP but even they don't seem to bring in as many big name indie guys as they used to. Sami Callihan recently held a championship there and their current champ is Dalton Castle/Ashley Remington.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jan 22, 2015

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Thauros posted:

IWC out in the suburbs seems to be the only local fed that ever brings in anyone people would have actually heard of that aren't eligible to join the AARP but even they don't seem to bring in as many big name indie guys as they used to. Sami Callihan recently held a championship there and their current champ is Dalton Castle/Ashley Remington.
I remember there being an old AOW with Cesaro and he actually had good things to say about this fed

E: Looking at their roster its funny how there are a bunch of no bodies and then there is Bobby Fish in there for some reason

Also the alumni section is pretty great since you get a lot of ECW wrestlers, some early 2000s indy guys like Punk and Styles, and then some Japanese Wrestlers like Kushida

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 22, 2015

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
Oh my god, Sam Squatch actually exists!? All I could find was grainy videos of him online, which I thought was his gimmick.

My immersion...!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 11 days!)

I've posted about Coliseum Championship Wrestling out of Evansville before in some other thread, but I'm gonna post about them here too:

They had a free show last summer when they re launched the promotion that had NXT-level attendance but their pay shows haven't done as well, I don't think. CCW is weird because sometimes they do regular wrestling and it's pretty good and then other times it's just IWA Garbage Wrestling.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
Mine is building up to an intergender title match:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHaYgWH3CQI

wagnike2
May 31, 2007

Lucha LaBOOM
My favorite has to be Hillbilly Jedd.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

A little over a year ago a local indie in Ohio put fliers on every chair before the ROH Pursuit Night 2 event. They advertised several matches, included the time, venue, ticket price, etc.

There was no date on the flier.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I remember HyZaya being in IWA-MS in the early 2000's. He uh, wasn't very good. But CCW actually looks somewhat professional and like their guys at least attempt to take care of themselves. Or at least a couple guys on the poster do. And the poster itself is well done in terms of providing info.

I miss my old local fed. Ran by Don "Cyrus the Virus/the Jackyl" Callis. His top babyfaces were himself (although he stayed out of the title scene, to his credit, and had a pretty good match with Terry Taylor, of all people), "Hotshot" Johnny Devine (of TNA fame, who was insanely over with our crowd), "Evil" Eddie Watts (a guy worked a lot of shows in Puerto Rico, and supposedly taught Scott Hall how to throw a worked punch), and a guy named Ivan Szozsynski who later went into MMA(http://wrestlingdata.com/index.php?befehl=bios&wrestler=10387&bild=1&details=11 that's his MMA profile). He also regularly used a very funny but somewhat different Kenny Omega (he wasn't doing the otaku thing yet, at least not for us). His top heel, and champion, was Dr.Luther (the guy who worked in FMW and IWA Japan a lot, and was Jericho's best man at his wedding). He also used a ridiculously green Jinder Mahal, and brought in a few indy stars, like AJ Styles, Jerry Lynn, Raven, and Shane Douglas.

Edit: I just remembered this: One of the top heels was Robbie McAllister (of the Highlanders). I'm still kinda mad at WWE for squandering his talent, because he had 4 matches with Johnny Devine, including a fantastic Last Man Standing match, and they turned him into Bushwhacker Butch 2000.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 22, 2015

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
There used to be an indie fed in Toronto called UWA Hardcore Wrestling, it was the best. It closed down years ago, but the dudes behind it are starting up a new fed.

They've been slowwwly hyping it up, right now they're building it around Sabian or BLK Jeez or whatever you want to call him.

It seems Chikara-ey, in that they're taking themselves way too seriously.

https://www.facebook.com/wrestlingabaddon

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
My local indy is weird. It has all these indy darlings wrestling under different names, as well as a bunch of jokers you've never heard of. Hell of a women's division, too.

Here's their website

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Going through the list of indies on wikipedia and found this:

http://www.bedofnailz.com/pwsroster.html

Johnny Howl. That's . . . That's . . . That's a Teen Wolf gimmick, right? I'm not seeing things?

Also, The Scranton Strangler? Someone took an The Office joke and made it into a gimmick.

Starman from NES Pro Wrestling.

And Habin from the Carwash. That's offensive, right?

Oh, and Bonesaw, NOT played by Randy Savage.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Davros1 posted:

Going through the list of indies on wikipedia and found this:

http://www.bedofnailz.com/pwsroster.html

Johnny Howl. That's . . . That's . . . That's a Teen Wolf gimmick, right? I'm not seeing things?

Also, The Scranton Strangler? Someone took an The Office joke and made it into a gimmick.

Starman from NES Pro Wrestling.

And Habin from the Carwash. That's offensive, right?

Oh, and Bonesaw, NOT played by Randy Savage.

I like Lifegaurd, the wrestling lifeguard.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Liar Lyre posted:

I like Lifegaurd, the wrestling lifeguard.

That reminds me of Wrestlecrisis, the Toronto indie that used to have workers wrestle as video game characters.

I'm pretty sure the guy they assigned to Stryker had no idea who Stryker was, since all he did was yell STRRRYKER! after every move.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

triplexpac posted:

That reminds me of Wrestlecrisis, the Toronto indie that used to have workers wrestle as video game characters.

I'm pretty sure the guy they assigned to Stryker had no idea who Stryker was, since all he did was yell STRRRYKER! after every move.

I found one women's wrestler called . . . Super Oprah. That just might be the greatest gimmick ever.

Howling Man
Mar 29, 2014

Peanut President posted:

I've posted about Coliseum Championship Wrestling out of Evansville before in some other thread, but I'm gonna post about them here too:

They had a free show last summer when they re launched the promotion that had NXT-level attendance but their pay shows haven't done as well, I don't think. CCW is weird because sometimes they do regular wrestling and it's pretty good and then other times it's just IWA Garbage Wrestling.

I have always thought of going to see Coliseum Championship Wrestling, but I'm saving up for when my man TRACY SMOTHERS ain't deliverin' pizzas for Sandy's and is wrasslin in town.

There's another indy promotion in Evansville called New Focus Wrestling that is notable for bringing in regularly a real NEW JAPAN PRO WRESTLING SUPERSTAR and NWA WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION...ROB CONWAY! No Bruce Tharpe, sadly.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Where's the weirdest place you've seen indie wrestling?

My mom lives in a little town with a population of around 2,500. They had a street festival one weekend, run by the shops and whatnot. There was wrestling in the middle of the street one afternoon, it was hilarious.

The wrestlers made their entrance from a bar across the street, they'd walk through the parking lot to the ring. There weren't seats or rails so you'd just walk right up to the apron and watch like you were Miss Elizabeth or something.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

We've got a few indie promotions here in Minneapolis, like Steel Domain and Pro Wrestling Battleground, but I've never had the chance to get out to any of their shows. This year I'm going to make a point to go to at least one of every local feds things, just to see. Pro Wrestling Battleground has one in a loving blues bar this Sunday that I would go to if it wasn't the same day as the Rumble.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

this isn't near me. Most of the feds in the north-central Indiana area crashed hard when the credit markets dried up.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
There aren't any feds in my area because Washington State has really weird and outdated laws against pro wrestling :(

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I guess the biggest one in Connecticut is Northeast Wrestling. http://www.northeastwrestling.com/ It's one of those companies that have their own roster and stars, but the main events for the bigger shows are always big names. Last time I saw them it was The Young Bucks VS The Hardy Boys. The current champion is Matt Taven. Their next big show is Matt Hardy VS Del Rio, Harlem Heat is going to wrestle, Roddy Piper is going to be there, AJ Styles AND The Young Bucks, Jerry Lawler VS Brian Anthony (NEW's big star who turned heel months ago)

I know there are a bunch of really small companies in CT, PARAGON being one of them. Next time I see JVS i'll ask him what else is in CT.

Speaking of which PWA CT is running it's next show in March: https://www.facebook.com/events/1381531472147686/?ref=3&ref_newsfeed_story_type=regular

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 23, 2015

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

BigRed0427 posted:

I guess the biggest one in Connecticut is Northeast Wrestling. http://www.northeastwrestling.com/ It's one of those companies that have their own roster and stars, but the main events for the bigger shows are always big names. Last time I saw them it was The Young Bucks VS The Hardy Boys. The current champion is Matt Taven.

I ran the rematch on PSP.tv, it was fun.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 11 days!)

Howling Man posted:

I have always thought of going to see Coliseum Championship Wrestling, but I'm saving up for when my man TRACY SMOTHERS ain't deliverin' pizzas for Sandy's and is wrasslin in town.

There's another indy promotion in Evansville called New Focus Wrestling that is notable for bringing in regularly a real NEW JAPAN PRO WRESTLING SUPERSTAR and NWA WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION...ROB CONWAY! No Bruce Tharpe, sadly.

Oh man I missed Rob Conway??? gently caress!

SW Indiana has way too much wrestling to be normal. I went to a show once in a town called Fort Branch that had 9 people in attendance. NINE! The "President" of the company actually came out and begged us to cheer or boo or whatever. Only wrestler I remember was a guy who's gimmick was "marijuana".

edit: Also CCW puts stuff on youtube now
http://www.youtube.com/user/CCFNWTV/videos

edit2: Another story from CCW (or one of the earlier ones): They did matches down on Riverside Drive during Freedom Festival, and they did the "give us stuff to hit this guy with" spot. Some little kid gives over his Spongebob Squarepants-themed fold up chair. The dude just wails on the guy with it, hands it back to the kid.

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 23, 2015

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

A little over a year ago a local indie in Ohio put fliers on every chair before the ROH Pursuit Night 2 event. They advertised several matches, included the time, venue, ticket price, etc.

There was no date on the flier.

hahahaha who was this?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I found out my local indy fed is the home of Lovin' Nick Lovin' recently. I should go to their next show and tell him he's going to be WCW Champion in 1999.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

IMPACT ZONE WRESTLING is my local indie fed. I've never really taken the time to watch any of their shows but they are shockingly progressive about uploading to youtube and even broadcasting FREE iPPVs through GoFightLive. Maybe I'll run one of their shows in psp-tv some day because i love local fat guys with savage gimmicks

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

oatgan posted:

IMPACT ZONE WRESTLING is my local indie fed. I've never really taken the time to watch any of their shows but they are shockingly progressive about uploading to youtube and even broadcasting FREE iPPVs through GoFightLive. Maybe I'll run one of their shows in psp-tv some day because i love local fat guys with savage gimmicks

i've come across IZW stuff on youtube before. they didn't make much of an impression on me but they have surprisingly good production values for their level of indie.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

DJExile posted:

hahahaha who was this?

I honestly don't remember. I used to have the paper on my dresser but I think it got thrown away. It was some reallyyyyy small thing that was running in Delaware.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I should really go see a Prairie Wrestling Alliance show sometime.

TNA-level poster design for a TNA-named show. And the roster!

PrincessWuffles
Oct 19, 2004

Not exactly local to me, but I drive an hour north once a month for Dreamwave! The hometown roster has some great talent, and they've booked their share of more mainstream stars.

Saw the Young Bucks, World's Cutest Tag Team, and Bad Influence, in December, with special guest Beautiful Bobby Eaton. The show before that had Tyrus (AKA Brodus Clay), Michael Elgin, The Osirian Portal, World's Cutest, and Brian Cage. Next month, it's Booker T! That's not to mention local guys like Brubaker and Zero Gravity (Brett Nikita and CJ Esparza), and indy favorites like Team AC/DC (Arik Cannon and Darin Corbin).

It's always a really fun show. I get to see some dudes I went to high school with live their dream, and buy Arik Cannon a PBR.

Next month has a "fans bring the weapons" match. Suggestions?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

PrincessWuffles posted:

A Nintendo Wii. A new take on an old classic.

E: Or if the guy you're giving it to is really strong, an Xbox One. Because they're giant and weigh a billion pounds.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cardboard Box posted:

i've come across IZW stuff on youtube before. they didn't make much of an impression on me but they have surprisingly good production values for their level of indie.

Seriously these production values are insane. Do they own that space, or are they owned by some money mark, or what the gently caress? How?

Surely they lose money like crazy.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Go to a pawn shop and try to find an old Nintendo or Atari. Also, try to find a wiffle bat.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

PrincessWuffles posted:

can of dog food.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Their entrance ramp and stuff is impressive, although really if some dude just had a rear projection set up already even the most expensive part of that isn't all that big of a thing. The rest of it just looks like they filmed it with some decent HD DSLR cameras in a high school gym.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TheJoker138 posted:

Their entrance ramp and stuff is impressive, although really if some dude just had a rear projection set up already even the most expensive part of that isn't all that big of a thing. The rest of it just looks like they filmed it with some decent HD DSLR cameras in a high school gym.

See to me it looks almost like an abandoned storage unit converted into a wrestling arena or something, and the coordinated paint job suggests to me they might own the space.

But maybe I'm dumb.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
my local indie is XICW, where the last two shows I've gone to have had the same guy light his elbow pad on fire then do an elbow drop. last time he did it off the top of a "steel cage"

but they run shows with good matches and good participants. being in Detroit means that one of Shelley or Sabin will usually be on a card. two shows ago they had EC3 and Abyss show up and next show they'll have the American Wolves so it'll be fun.

across the river there's also Border City Wrestling, which is D'Amores promotion. last show had the Time Splitters come in for a match and when the NJPW guys came through for the U.S. your last year they did a show with all of them so it was nice to see Okada, Nakamura, and Tanahashi in person.

also JCW runs here. I think they're having a show tonight with Colt Cabana on it

Detroit is a pretty good place for indie wrestling

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

SamuraiFoochs posted:

See to me it looks almost like an abandoned storage unit converted into a wrestling arena or something, and the coordinated paint job suggests to me they might own the space.

But maybe I'm dumb.

It looks A LOT like the "little gym" that my old high school had. We had like, a big gym, where we would have pep rallies, basketball games, etc. Then we had a smaller gym that was just used for volleyball practice, archery, poo poo like that because it didn't have hoops or anything. It even had a similar paint job (ours was blue instead of green).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TheJoker138 posted:

It looks A LOT like the "little gym" that my old high school had. We had like, a big gym, where we would have pep rallies, basketball games, etc. Then we had a smaller gym that was just used for volleyball practice, archery, poo poo like that because it didn't have hoops or anything. It even had a similar paint job (ours was blue instead of green).

Shiiiit. Now that you say that there was a little gym in mine too that I'd totally forgotten about and it looked similar too. Good call.

• Locked thread