Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
double negative
Jul 7, 2003

fadam posted:

I typically don't go for musicals or prime time soap opera shows, but I decided to check this out after reading about the ratings, and I'm really enjoying it.

I do think it's funny that it has such incredible ratings (according to Wikipedia, 17 million people tuned in to watch the finale), but according to the download stats on BTN each episode has only been snatched like 200-300 times (the latest Archer has like 2200). I wonder what's responsible for such a huge disconnect.

The same thing that is responsible for the number of posts in this thread, white people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

double negative posted:

The same thing that is responsible for the number of posts in this thread, white people.

Are there any demographic breakdowns of Empire's viewership? "White people" seems like kind of a cop out answer.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

double negative posted:

I like this show but there isn't really all that much to talk about except for how great the music is and all the soap opera 'oh poo poo' moments.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

fadam posted:

Are there any demographic breakdowns of Empire's viewership? "White people" seems like kind of a cop out answer.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Kegslayer posted:

I like this show but there isn't really all that much to talk about except for how great the music is and all the soap opera 'oh poo poo' moments.

That seems like plenty - I've certainly see threads go longer on less. A single mention of the ethics of superhero incarceration is worth a page of posts in the Flash thread, and it's not like corny plots have stopped goons from getting into a show.

I don't even feel like this is even that controversial - majority black casts just have to work a lot harder for white viewers. This show is crazy big, with a soundtrack at the top of the charts and a crazy group of guest stars in the last few episodes, but there's still a pretty big disconnect along racial lines.

It's cool to see that that its appeal is broadening a bit, and I hope that trend continues, because I thought towards the end it was flirting with being legit good, rather than just good for a soap. The scene with Jamal and Lucious in their old house where they nodded to H&F was great, and I really want more of that.

double negative fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 21, 2015

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3

double negative posted:

I don't even feel like this is even that controversial - majority black casts just have to work a lot harder for white viewers. This show is crazy big, with a soundtrack at the top of the charts and a crazy group of guest stars in the last few episodes, but there's still a pretty big disconnect along racial lines.

It's mind-boggling to me the cast they've been able to put together. JHud! Mary J. Blige! I thought Snoop would be the biggest :aaa: moment for me, but then I remembered how much that dude loves money and then PATTI LABELLE! This show's talent pool is so deep they were just like :sweep: to Naomi Campbell. I get the feeling next season's going to be even better, because clearly every single black entertainer, and plenty of white ones with good taste, desperately want to be in this show. Like, I feel like Cookie or Lucious is going on Oprah at some point.

I'm also stoked that they're kicking the Shakespeare references up. It'll really be interesting to see where they go with all that with Andre and Rhonda especially.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

double negative posted:

That seems like plenty - I've certainly see threads go longer on less. A single mention of the ethics of superhero incarceration is worth a page of posts in the Flash thread, and it's not like corny plots have stopped goons from getting into a show.

It's funny you bring up the Flash since his love interest is black, so cue goons making ridiculous excuses of why they shouldn't be together despite being one of the most iconic comic book couples. I stopped going into that thread because every time she had a scene there would inevitably be impotent rage. Other fans of that show have even gone as far as sending that actress racial death threats.

And I think I brought this up before but first page of the Knick thread iirc, was a bunch of "Why must there be black characters? :qq:"

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

double negative posted:

It's cool to see that that its appeal is broadening a bit, and I hope that trend continues, because I thought towards the end it was flirting with being legit good, rather than just good for a soap. The scene with Jamal and Lucious in their old house where they nodded to H&F was great, and I really want more of that.

Goons are happy to sperg about every minor detail about comic book TV shows but I still don't think there's that much to discuss aside from 'that happened'. There's no mystery or unresolved story line that isn't resolved almost directly in the next episode.

This show broke a lot of ground not just because of its amazing cast but because of the music, how it dealt with gay themes etc but at the end of the day its still undeniably a soap opera and the speed that it goes through the storyline robs it of any emotional punch.

Take Andre in the finale. He goes from being completely lost to finding god to dumping god in the space of 20 minutes or so. Jamal goes from 'yes my dad forced me to marry a woman which he then impregnated and tricked me into believing it was my own daughter but I'm just hanging around because he's about to die' to threatening to throw some guy off the roof to please his dad. The actors are great but the characterization not so much.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Musicchat: Goddamn I didn't realize how awesome this song was when it was actually on the show. Easily my favorite Yazz solo track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7GGHKUmq3M

I need it to be Season 2 already.

"Game on, bitches." was SUCH an incredible line/shot to end on. I genuinely can't fathom how this show will get crazier, but I know it's going to which is incredible. And I don't care if it was lovely characterization, seeing Jamal rapidly turn into Lucious 2.0 and the fact that Andre and Hakeem were aligned instead was awesome. Maybe it's the pro wrestling fan in me, who knows.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

HELLO LADIES posted:

It's mind-boggling to me the cast they've been able to put together. JHud! Mary J. Blige! I thought Snoop would be the biggest :aaa: moment for me, but then I remembered how much that dude loves money and then PATTI LABELLE! This show's talent pool is so deep they were just like :sweep: to Naomi Campbell. I get the feeling next season's going to be even better, because clearly every single black entertainer, and plenty of white ones with good taste, desperately want to be in this show. Like, I feel like Cookie or Lucious is going on Oprah at some point.

I'm also stoked that they're kicking the Shakespeare references up. It'll really be interesting to see where they go with all that with Andre and Rhonda especially.

I love when they had Lucious talking on the phone with Obama early in the season. I won't be surprised if they actually get him on the show in season 2.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This is really neat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxC7fKAPvFg

It's the Behind The Music narrator, too. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Both Becky and Porsha are being bumped up to the Main Cast next season. More Porsha = more happiness.

• Locked thread