Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
I still have the strategy guide for this game. I loved it to pieces, and thought it was one of the most interesting games I'd ever seen back when I discovered it some time in the 90s. I keep thinking to go back and play it at some stage. I'll be watching this LP eagerly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
I never got very far in this game, but the Durahan was a boss that I found really intimidating. Due to the fact I was really young when I first played this I wasn't very good at the chain attacks. So my trick was to stand on one of the platforms and attack him with the Seventh Heaven from where he couldn't hit me back.

That said I loved that guys design. Hell, I'm getting the urge to pull out the old strategy guide and give it one more read through.

Tomapella posted:

This is definitely one of my favorite games of its generation, despite its flaws. Sakimoto created what is possibly my favorite game soundtrack of all time, and there are parts of the story that have stuck with me through the years like very few game stories have. The actual gameplay is fairly clunky, but playing through it again last year and going into it knowing how the mechanics worked I was surprised at how much quicker it went than I remembered.

Seriously, though, that music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xP0dFTlxdo

The music in this game is awesome, its so subtle and underplayed that it often goes right past me when its going on, but I always end up picking it up. Really adds to the mood of these early segments. Can't say how it plays out later into the game. But I'm going to be really excited to see what they came up with for those sections.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
I always really loved the Golum boss, because it drew on real world magic. Plus, for some reason I always remember fighting him next to the giant chasm in the floor. Always just seemed really evocative to me. Hey here's this gaping hole in the ground, and here is an embodiment of the earth's power. Have fun!

I remember nothing of the game beyond this point, so I'm really excited to see what happens next!

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Space Bat posted:

I've always liked Vagrant Story, especially its graphics. There's something about low poly models with such great textures that always looks good to me.

Its really pleasing too see that even years after its release it still looks great. Not many ps1 era games can claim that.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Glazius posted:

So Ashley has cutscene powers that let him view other cutscenes. Convenient.

Seriously though, this is a neat explanation for why we're getting more powerful - it's just us soaking in all the corruption.

Yeah, its a pretty great explanation. To be honest I rather like the whole clairvoyance thing, I think its a great way to get information that the player wouldn't get otherwise, and I like the fact its pretty much out of Ashley's control and there's a consequence for using it. Not enough games make use of poo poo like that. Means that we, the player, know exactly as much as our character, and that's a really good thing for a story telling game.

• Locked thread