Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

The launcher is hosed. If you run EverQuest2.exe you can log in directly there. Servers might be laggy, game is getting DDOS'd, much like every other game these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

Tsurupettan posted:

It depends. That's kind of a copout, but yeah, it depends.

Warlocks? Dude named Mogrim, who has been around forever, has a whole up to date guide. And then you go look for, like, Troubadour info and it's sparse. Honestly, it might be best to just ask for what you're looking for here and I'll give you an answer or go look it up.

I'm having a hard time picking a class, because I want a better idea of what they do in raids, and how they're played. Right now I'm looking at Illusionist, but I don't want to be just a buffbot, I want to actively do things as well. Do Illus do that, and where can I find info on them

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

So Illusionist is badass as gently caress right now. There's also a pretty significant line between a good Illy and an okay one.

One of the things to understand in EQ2 is that, compared to some of the boss scripts in modern WoW, they're generally a bit simpler. They might be more numerically punishing in comparison, but on their face they are a bit simpler. There is a lot of difficulty tied up in coordinating and understanding the other players in your raid and what they are doing.

When I raid in WOW, I am my own entity, I don't give a flying gently caress what the Shaman does after they push Bloodlust. When I raid in EQ2, I care that the Warlock is about to enter a specific part of his DPS chain, or use a cooldown, or do Some Thing.

Illusionist (and Coercer) have a really cool ability called Mimicry. You basically duplicate what your (friendly) target does for the next set amount of time. So when you understand what they do and when they're doing it, you can create an absurd Mimicry for ridiculous damage.

A lot of your buffs are passive. You do have a few things to click in combat that matter.

Savante, Mana Flow and a few other power-management tools keep people rolling in power.

Peace of Mind adds a bunch of damage nukes to each spell cast, and then there's Flash of Brilliance and some other minor damage output things.

Time Warp is a big one. It casts, has a 5 second 'warm up' and then for 5 seconds everyone in your party has 100% more doublecast (does what you think it does, your spells cast twice).

Mimicry is as above and adds to your own damage output.

You're going to spend most of your time just dpsing like a normal dps, but also paying attention to when other players are doing their big things and mimicing them to inflate your own output. You will spend a little time providing power and some other buffs. You will, aside from one or two very specific encounters, not be doing things like chain-CCing/stunning targets.

I am probably missing a few other things, but Illusionists are really powerful right now both for their buffing and their damage output. A well played illusionist will parse very well.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 22, 2015

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Tsurupettan posted:

I'm also happy to run with people in heroics and help you gear up. Once you hit 100, the easiest way to get rolling is (assuming you have some plat, or you can harvest/craft):

Finish the entire AoM storyline. The mount is 3k resists.

Grab a full set of Xiocite jewelry. If you've got another 100 to pass gear down, skip Cadmium Band and Tourmaline Earring first. Either way, this will put you at almost 130k resist from gear. You get about 2000 from Focus Effects, and adorns will add another 6,666 resist. Your AoM mount puts you at a little over 140k.

Get a mastercrafted cloak and belt. Usually you're going to pick a belt/cloak that can't (or won't) be reforged anyway, such as doublecast/skills, flurry/skills, pure pot, etc.

Mastercrafted weapons are fine/good as well. There are a lot of weapon choices, so be careful which you pick up. Look at the swing timers on them as well.

There's a vendor in the tower at the PS docks, to the left of the Ferrin vendor. This is the Malice Shard npc. The main reason you're here right now is because you want to go through and pick up the quested gear to optimize your armor to your needs. I suggest this because you can reforge it. Any piece that you WON'T reforge, you can grab an MC piece for.

Get a full set of expert spells. 91+ experts are now finally better than the old masters.

Eat 30 minute food. The market goes up and down on this a lot, but it's worth investing in.

Adorn your poo poo. Electrified adorns are slightly better than HC. They also go in L95 gear, so if you're coming up in ToV raiding gear, replace those old adorns with electrified ones.

Doing all of the above makes it really easy to get into easier green zones in Phantom Seas (RoM, CHH, Temple). You'll still want to do Zavith'loa because they're a piss easy source of blue gear and ferrin, plus some incredible jewelry/charms drop there. Brokenskull is a waste of time unless it's a weekly or DD.

I looked at some end game characters and the stats/numbers just seem too difficult to understand. I hated reforging and micromanaging stats in WoW and that game had a website that told me what to do.

Reforging is such a terrible idea in any game. I'm not here to do math, I'm here to slay dragons.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.
Since it was sold, EQ2 has been buggy on launch. One thing I did that always works is go into the launcher folder and delete a few things.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Reforging was obnoxious in wow because of needing to get to hit cap and juggle around it, as well as smaller and more finicky numbers. Reforging in this game is literally:

Get excess amounts of Certain Stat (Cast SPeed/Reuse is popular), turn it into Other Stat you want.

I very rarely juggle reforging. The stats are a little daunting at first and then they kinda just end up being similar for everyone.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
Well this is lame. I wanted to get my hands on some new brawler fists.

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)
Giving this a spin. I have a lot of station points left over from Planetside2 after my gaming rig died on me. In as Aleriak, Helf Paladin.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

I'll hop on and invite you to guild after I get home from work in a few hours. It's kinda slow right now though. But hey, guild amenities.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
I try to /who all goone like once a day and never catch anyone :(

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

I'll be home at 7:30 and I can invite people. I need to put my channeler back in yogs too since I retired it.

e: I'll be on Yamame.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 25, 2015

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)

Tsurupettan posted:

I'll hop on and invite you to guild after I get home from work in a few hours. It's kinda slow right now though. But hey, guild amenities.

I have no doubt it's slow, but I never leveled past 11 as an Illu (caught the wow-bug back at launch), so I'm just going to take it slow and enjoy the zones.

Goblin
Jun 5, 2003

code:
ftp> put babybambino.jpg
ftp> del gravybaby.png
ftp> del gravybaby2.png
ftp> del gravybaby3.png
ftp> del gravybaby4.png
ftp> del gravybaby5.png
ftp> del gravybaby6.png
ftp> del gravybaby7.png
ftp> del gravybaby8.png
ftp> bye
Lipstick Apathy
Whew, so this week I declared it to be the Week of Crafting. Up to a 97 alchemist (should be 100 tonight), full transmuting, and almost full adorning from a lowly level 15 scholar. I hadn't touched crafting since launch and remembered despising it back then since making a backpack required buckles from a metal smith, chemicals to treat the leather from an alchemist, etc. etc. but it is so much better now with the addition of all the crafting quests!

One question regarding experimentation, since it gives diminishing returns if you experiment on the same stat do people generally focus on one stat anyways or diversify it for the best returns? Or is it a case-by-case basis? Since it's only crafted gear I guess it doesn't matter too much but I was curious!

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

When I get experimented gear made I usually get the boosts split like, 2 on cb, 2 on pot, 1 on primary stat for my class.

Goblin
Jun 5, 2003

code:
ftp> put babybambino.jpg
ftp> del gravybaby.png
ftp> del gravybaby2.png
ftp> del gravybaby3.png
ftp> del gravybaby4.png
ftp> del gravybaby5.png
ftp> del gravybaby6.png
ftp> del gravybaby7.png
ftp> del gravybaby8.png
ftp> bye
Lipstick Apathy

Tsurupettan posted:

When I get experimented gear made I usually get the boosts split like, 2 on cb, 2 on pot, 1 on primary stat for my class.

Cool, thanks. This double currency weekend has been great, all these quest rewards of Far Seas Trading Company tokens doubled up have given me over 600 to get rolling with plus I did a trade for three war runes so I'm improving my gear little by little~~

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

I was thinking of creating a steam group. A lot of us are split up over various guilds, many can't use the in game channel that I made, etc.

It'd be cool to connect on there so if people have questions, need help or just want to run something we can get together. Maybe I'll run Sunday events or something.

Would there be interest in that?

Also zionest I'll get your stuff crafted tonight hopefully. Spells, pot cloak and belt and storm animus.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
A steam group would own.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/eq2goons

There, I made it. I'll put in a stupid picture later and add some more stuff. It's public for now.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

A steam group would own.
Edit:
So would double posting from a phone

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
So several years ago I played EQ2 and had a lot of fun. Since WoW has basically devolved down to "raid two nights a week and have nothing else to do", I've been itching for another MMO to give a try and remember EQ2 having a poo poo load of stuff I never saw (only got to ~45 with my highest character). So I'm downloading now to poke around a bit.

That said, I am going to admit I am a huge nerd and love roleplaying in my MMOs -- I do it in WoW all the time. Is there any decent roleplay community around on the RP server? I don't recall ever really seeing, well, anyone when I played last.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

The roleplaying community is there, they're just quiet. If you ask in general chat people will probably send you tells with more information. It's the opposite of wow where everyone is trying to shove stuff in your face at every moment for RP if you're on one of the RP servers.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Yeah, I get what you mean. Been playing WoW since Jan 2005 and the RP community has always been very ... open. Cool to hear, explains why I never found anything when I just piddled around cities. I never looked very hard. Thanks for the tip.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Also check the official forums. They have an RP sub-forum with the happenings and I think links to off-site forums.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
On AB, join the chat channel RPLFG

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

poo poo, you guys are quick with responses. Thanks! I've got 50% of the game downloaded and I'm playing around now.

The OP says that the bards are always in demand, and since my biggest interest is group content (raiding, in particular) then I went with Troubador. Is that still accurate, will I get groups easily? It's my primary concern -- when I played 5-6 years ago I tried Shadowknight and got laughed at in public channels because I was told tanks are never in demand so I hosed up by playing SK.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Troubs are baller as gently caress and underplayed as gently caress. They're good. I love mine mechanically but shelved it because of WDB, but that won't affect you unless you hit 100 and care about endgame.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

What's the class with the least amount of button presses and skill bloat? Is there such a thing?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

jabro posted:

What's the class with the least amount of button presses and skill bloat? Is there such a thing?

Not really. Maybe Beastlord since 8 of your skills are tied to your pet, so you have the pet bar plus a dozen other skills. This compared to my Swashbuckler, which has like 30, or my Fury, which has like 10 damage, 10 healing, and 5-10 utility.

fake edit: If you're worried about skill bloat, then you can get around that with pure DPS classes. Just make macros where all your damage skills are stacked on one another and mash that button. I have a macro on my Swashy for pure damage, one for damage + melee debuffs, damage + self buffs, etc. Results in having about 6 macros rather than thirty random things.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Every class has some useless garbage you can remove from their bars, such as doppelganger and illusory allies for illusionists. If you name a class someone can probably tell you what is worthless. You can also make attack or debuff macros that condense your bars.

Terminal
Feb 17, 2003
The Void
Cross-posting from my old (and probably dead) EQ1/EQ2 guild forum:

quote:

I played during launch week/month of EQ2 but put it down shortly after. I'm an avid Planetside 2 player so I have SOE/DBG All Access and I figure EQ2 is a nice benefit to that subscription.

I reinstalled the client yesterday and tried logging in this morning. I've still got a level 19 HE "Druid" (I told you it was an old character!) on Unrest but when I go to click play it essentially leads me through a new character creation routine, all the way to name & server choice. I am restricted in what class I can choose (Warden or Fury) but I can freely select a new race. I'm hesitant to go forward past the server choice screen since I'm not sure if it's essentially a free character rename & server transfer or if it's going to be creating a completely new character.

I'm not exactly going to cry if my launch character needs to be restarted, I'm just confused as gently caress about what's happening when I hit the Play button.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

That's because you don't start as a priest -> druid -> subclass any more, you just start as the subclass. So it's making you pick your subclass before continuing on.

Terminal
Feb 17, 2003
The Void

Tsurupettan posted:

That's because you don't start as a priest -> druid -> subclass any more, you just start as the subclass. So it's making you pick your subclass before continuing on.

But what's with the name & server prompt? Is it going to create a naked level 1 or just a carbon copy of the old level 19 with the current class system applied? Not that I'd mind a free server transfer since my old guild is on life support.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Don't know about that part. Just try it and see what happens! Worst case scenario you make a new character and do the first 20 levels in a few hours. Leveling is a lot faster than it used to be.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Terminal posted:

But what's with the name & server prompt? Is it going to create a naked level 1 or just a carbon copy of the old level 19 with the current class system applied? Not that I'd mind a free server transfer since my old guild is on life support.

It should be a level 19 fury or warden with your old gear. Same thing happened to me years ago with an old "summoner" I kept around for laughs.

But really, level 20 takes like 3-4 hours now. Rolling a new character is no big deal if something messes up.

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

I’ve come back to this game after like 4 or 5 years because my friends are playing again (as such I’m not on the goon server, oh well). I’m level 80, where should I go to get to 90 to then follow the advice in the op? I would ask my friends but they just want to power level me to 100, but I would like to get to 90ish on my own to remember how to play my own character. I mean I’m a troubadour so I can just stand there and sing, but I would like to push buttons in a vaguely competent manner.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Sundered Frontier and Stonebrunt Highlands if you just want to quest your heart out, and you can step over to Great Divide at 88.

Level Agnostic Dungeons (alt+z) if you want to bounce around dungeons and murder stuff while vaguely pushing your buttons and leveling fast.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I am on the goon server but I never see anyone. :( Is the guild as dead as /who makes it look, or am I doing it wrong? (/who all goone)

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Prism posted:

I am on the goon server but I never see anyone. :( Is the guild as dead as /who makes it look, or am I doing it wrong? (/who all goone)

I've been complaining about the same thing for a couple weeks myself :( I'm going to start looking in the steam group more once I get back from a work trip and can play again.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Use the steam group. I play a LOT but I've been working on my raiding character which isn't in Ye Olde Goone Squad. I just made a post in the steam group about getting together for stuff on Sundays.

The guild hasn't been super active in a long time, there are maybe 10-15 of us (being generous) scattered around different guilds, time zones and servers.

The pubbie population is pretty decent aside from general chat though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goblin
Jun 5, 2003

code:
ftp> put babybambino.jpg
ftp> del gravybaby.png
ftp> del gravybaby2.png
ftp> del gravybaby3.png
ftp> del gravybaby4.png
ftp> del gravybaby5.png
ftp> del gravybaby6.png
ftp> del gravybaby7.png
ftp> del gravybaby8.png
ftp> bye
Lipstick Apathy

Hmm, sure why not.

Level 1. OK, not too bad...tricky jumps with gnomish boots but doable...

Level 2. Ooh, a massive maze...false floors, false walls, blind leaps of faith around obstacles and tons of dead ends but I made it through...

Level 3. Nope.

Nope.

Double Nope.

And allegedly the fourth level is even harder haha, I didn't even bother trying level 3 but it was pretty amazing to see the amount of effort put into making this house (I only snagged one screen of the maze on level 2 but it was huuuuggggeee!). Sorry for the UI but I couldn't remember what the hide button was :P