Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
My company writes automation software for the construction industry. The way we provide our customers with a digital technical manual is rather silly at the moment. There's an MS Word document on a shared network drive that one person can edit at a time, and then Save As Web Page. It "works" in the sense that it's WYSIWYG, and contains working links, but this approach has many downsides.

What I'm looking for is
  • a wiki that can be hosted internally at work
  • users can edit/add pages, write text, include photos/screenshots
  • WYSIWYG would be nice but is not essential, our staff can be trained to use markdown or similar
  • retain history of who edited which pages
  • be able to export the entire wiki to the filesystem, in such a way that no internet connection is needed to view it, and it's not full of "edit" or "login" links, or other things that are part of the wiki web application

The idea is to keep this wiki up to date as we write our software, and when we release a new version, we also include a help file by way of an exported wiki.

I've clicked around at http://www.wikimatrix.org and nothing has jumped out at me that satisfies all my constraints. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough, or maybe a wiki isn't what I want at all.

Suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I'm surprised, is this really a thing that does not exist?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

epalm posted:

I'm surprised, is this really a thing that does not exist?

yes, but mostly because of the exporting to FS and no internet requirements(the first because version control for such a document system would be tortured and inconsistent because users)

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

MasterFugu posted:

yes, but mostly because of the exporting to FS and no internet requirements

Fair.

MasterFugu posted:

the first because version control for such a document system would be tortured and inconsistent because users

What?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

epalm posted:

My company writes automation software for the construction industry. The way we provide our customers with a digital technical manual is rather silly at the moment. There's an MS Word document on a shared network drive that one person can edit at a time, and then Save As Web Page. It "works" in the sense that it's WYSIWYG, and contains working links, but this approach has many downsides.

What I'm looking for is
  • WYSIWYG would be nice but is not essential, our staff can be trained to use markdown or similar
  • be able to export the entire wiki to the filesystem, in such a way that no internet connection is needed to view it, and it's not full of "edit" or "login" links, or other things that are part of the wiki web application

The idea is to keep this wiki up to date as we write our software, and when we release a new version, we also include a help file by way of an exported wiki.

I've clicked around at http://www.wikimatrix.org and nothing has jumped out at me that satisfies all my constraints. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough, or maybe a wiki isn't what I want at all.

Suggestions?

Dozuki

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

epalm posted:

What I'm looking for is

Suggestions?

If you want to go the pay route, Confluence is a decent enough. Combine that with RoadRunner (addon) and you have the ability to download an entire Confluence site onto a local computer as needed.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/rr

Its a little expensive and probably more than what you need but it does do the job pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, but I've helped our Technical Publication guys with some software purchases in the past. They use Adobe FrameMaker and Webworks ePublisher to generate all of our documentation.

Hope that helps

• Locked thread