Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Pretty much metroidvanias are the best. I just want to talk about them, including ones most people don't know about.

Aquaria is really nice. The soundtrack and voice acting is really good, the levels are kind of too big though. Overall it's super awesome.

La-Mulana is also really awesome. Both versions of the soundtrack are good, but the game is like 1000000000% more obtuse and opaque than it needs to be. One day I'll finish it without consulting maps and wikis. The sequel is supposed to come out this year.

Monster Story on the DS is cute, pretty easy, but fun and charming. It was very late in the DS' life so not many know about it.

Cave Story is pretty well known I think, having had remakes released on consoles. I have never got the good ending though.

Valdis Story Abyssal City fits in this category but I find it difficult to actually play, something about the controls feels kind of stiff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

La-Mulana is the best msx homage

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

did you know?? the word 'metroidvania' comes from the amalgamation of two popular titles, Metroid and Castlevania. it means when a game is like metroid and castlevania. you may wish to revise your judgment on this terminology now that you know of its origin and meaning.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Igarashi was surprised to hear that we use the term, because his goal was to mimic a Zelda-ish gameplay rather than Metroid-like.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Guacamelee and the new Strider were both really fun and good but I guess they just barely qualify as metroidvanias.

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

Using the word "retard" as an insult is very offensive.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

La Mulana is a Darksoulsian take on the Metroidvania genre.

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

I hated Guacamelee and the new Strider looked insanely lovely.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

conceitedguy posted:

I hated Guacamelee and the new Strider looked insanely lovely.

Congratulations.

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

People call Cavestory a metroidvania... but it really isn't one.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

La Mulana is a Darksoulsian take on the Metroidvania genre.
If Dark Souls and Metroidvanias were extremely fuckfail.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Noob alert

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Bobby The Rookie posted:

synthy does not like dark souls

consider yourself exposed to brutal trolls

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

That's cool, as long as we both agree La Mulana is poo poo.

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

Let me take you for a ride.
Actually both are really good and pretty loving win.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Dexters Secret posted:

synthy does not like dark souls

consider yourself exposed to brutal trolls

i don't know where you pulled that outta but you should STFU and never speak for me again god drat smelly rear end idiot.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

i don't know where you pulled that outta but you should STFU and never speak for me again god drat smelly rear end idiot.

brutal

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

so do you like dark souls then

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

Let me take you for a ride.
Exhibit A: The kickass ost.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X_sTyAIfjs

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

You know who else had a kickass OST?

Hitler.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
one of the most important parts of a metroidvania for me is level design. super metroid pretty much perfected that aspect and i haven't yet played a metroidvania that could compete with it in that regard.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
Monster story would of been amazing if the last 4th hadn't been rushed.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I don't mind the word since it describes the genre perfectly

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

metrogue-like

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Mr. Pumroy posted:

metrogue-like

my wallet..it's opening on its own..

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Narrator: The last Metroid is in captivity. The Galaxy is at peace.

Samus: What a terrible night to have a curse.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The SA-X: I have been authorized... to kill you. *presses select button to switch to missiles*

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Cave Story is an extremely good game and getting the good ending is super fun and rewarding (but you have to do stuff that is hard to find on your own). It was clearly inspired by games like Castlevania and Metroid, but I don't think it really qualifies as a Metroidvania.

People say Dark Souls is a metroidvania but I really don't agree with that at all (or I've just never heard any remotely convincing argument) and I think it just shows that the term has become very watered down and dumb nowadays.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Dark Souls is just a really clumsy Jak sequel.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i thought metroidvania meant "game where you wander around exploring, and you get upgrades, and the upgrades let you explore even more" which dark souls has loving nothing to do with

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Bobnumerotres posted:

i thought metroidvania meant "game where you wander around exploring, and you get upgrades, and the upgrades let you explore even more" which dark souls has loving nothing to do with

The argument I've heard is that "you kill bosses, and unlock shortcuts" which describes roughly every game ever made.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

yeah, metroidvania is a dumb word.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Princess Daisy: Help!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i think metroidvania is a good term for the "genre" i guess, it has just become this buzzword that'll get slapped onto anything with any amount of exploration. including the souls games lmao

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Why do people keep talking about the souls games in a metroidvania thread

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Eye of Widesauron posted:

Why do people keep talking about the souls games in a metroidvania thread
Metroids: Latch onto you and suck out your life force.
Dracula: Latches onto you and sucks out your life force.

Huh gee I wonder how Dark Souls could possibly fit that pattern.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

Metroids: Latch onto you and suck out your life force.
Dracula: Latches onto you and sucks out your life force.

Huh gee I wonder how Dark Souls could possibly fit that pattern.

Lol

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Dark souls guy: Dangit, Lois, I'm freaking Hollow.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Like an early Belmont, Dark Souls characters are baffled and offended by jumping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
lmao if there are really people who think dark souls is a metroidvania. from my understanding, a metroidvania is a game about exploring and killing where you start out with very little freedom of movement and lovely weapons and there are lots of areas you cant access, but by the end of the game you're flipping around and grappling and sliding and poo poo all over the place and it feels loving awesome

i'm not in love with the term metroidvania tbh, but it is one of my fav genres

• Locked thread