Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

sc2 is fun, the campaign is cool and the multiplayer mods are awesome

the trick to enjoying regular multiplayer is to play unranked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Kylra posted:

Widow mines, reapers, and battlecruisers only

mech terran is very fun

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Wootman posted:

Skype is a bloated piece of poo poo that all my friends like using for whatever reason. It freezes my Xbox One when I use it wtf.

your friends are using it to nudecam with eachother, sorry that you're missing out

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Forgot all about it.

edit; after reading the wiki, I still have no idea how the gently caress this game worked

edit edit;

what the gently caress that sounds cool

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

lol if you play multiplayer in any RTS with not-friends

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

overwatch will be really bad and horribly unbalanced for about 9 months until the first patch, where they remove terrible ideas that shouldn't have made it out of beta and fans will go "omg blizzard is the best"

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

heart of the swarm is amazing because you can get really overpowered upgrades for your units

you can make zerglings spawn 3 at a time instead of 2 for the same resource cost, roaches that spawn more roaches when they kill things, hydralisks that can essentially use stimpaks, etc.

the missions themselves are also real fun

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Doctor Goat posted:

i like that the crazy conspiracy theory dude who said zerglings died if they touched lemon juice was right and there's a little footnote on the zergling page about it

i like overpowered upgrades but i really like it when my opponents can still cope. is this the case

if you set it to hard or extreme they most certainly can. it's not a health upgrade or anything either, you will run into different poo poo

in one of the early missions you're assaulting this terran base while also defending your own with turrets and stuff. on normal mode i p much just waltzed right in with a giant zergling army, but in hard they had deployed siege tanks and THORs and poo poo, it was pretty scary

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

each sc2 campaign is probably longer than the sc1 campaigns combined

there are also some pretty sick cutscenes. i mean the story is a joke but watching a line of siege tanks blow up a horde of zerg in Pixar quality CGI is loving cool

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Doctor Goat posted:

i liked going back to the sc1 campaign in the sc2 engine just because of how fast you get new toys to play with

wait what

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Doctor Goat posted:

the infested mission where you have to raze all the buildings in wings of liberty owns so hard.

you can play it defensive at night when zerg are actively attacking and then go out in the day cautiously or just go all out berserker and own everything before it can own you

there is a mod based on that mission that you can play co-op with others, where you have to survive the zerg getting worse and worse and more advanced units and stuff. it is a ton of fun to mess around in with a friend. there are also a lot of custom units in it, the last time i played you could make thor-sized marines that punched things

gameplay-wise blizz did an amazing job with SC2 and it is their Good Game. i wish they put even half the effort into diablo but that's not a constant stream of money for them

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

in the next expansion, according to the pre-alpha custom map stuff they've been doing you're gonna start skirmishes with twice the workers, so the minute or two of sitting around at the beginning of matches will be skipped

each point will also have less resources/gas to mine to encourage expansion. i am excited. i also main protoss so the campaign's gonna own

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Doctor Goat posted:

but having resources means instant death balls

it also means instant defense, and the ~timings~ for everything will be messed up since you have access to everything a lot quicker

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Lemming posted:

Starcraft 2 is good but it's too stressful to try to get better at it.

oh yeah gently caress the ladder and poo poo. just play unranked and see how far you can get with dumb strategies. if you're not going to make the game your full-time job there's no point to being competitive

i watch pro SC2 and it blows my mind how fast these people are, 100+ actions per minute micro-managing battles on three different fronts whilst continuously producing units, workers, and defenses. i watch my replays and anytime i get into a scuffle my production and economy just goes straight down a shitter while im busy with the fight

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Lemming posted:

Pros in BW were routinely 300-350+, not sure what it was in SC2 but I assume a bit lower.

Near release, I was Diamond with my blistering-fast 60 apm :unsmith:

oh yeah, during certain moments it'll go up to 250+ which is crazy

IMO they should remove all the APM tax poo poo like needing to manually inject hives for larva, games like COH1 are great because you're not losing hair keeping track of six different timers in your head, it felt natural and it was always very clear what was going on. in SC2 forgetting to do something for a couple of seconds can be your downfall and they need to get away from that

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i hear grey goo is very good, and is pretty much the opposite of starcraft. there's just one resource that you get from building resource collectors at certain points in the map, after that it's just "small fries are cheap and quick, powerful units are expensive and take a long while to build" and that's it. it's not a big headache of remembering 30 different things you need to keep track of

i just want to nuke stuff and cook up funny strategies, sc2 makes this very difficult with a ton of features that are literally designed to be APM barriers

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

husky owns

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-X5wQ1dTy8 guy wins a pro match almost entirely with reapers

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

honestly if you just know when to expand and to keep building workers and enough structures so that you're not piling up resources that will be enough to take you into diamond

even in the final matches of big pro leagues they're normally using standard builds and victory comes down to what was and wasn't scouted. at the last major tournament a dude lost 100 grand because his scout didn't spot a big zergling army heading to his base

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

yeah giant marine balls are especially handy against protoss because the only units they have as a hard counter are colossus, which aren't exactly easy to amass

the giant marine balls are basically proof that good macro is essential to getting anywhere in the game. people have all these "sick strategies", then players try them out in bronze and the strats fall apart because they only have 20 workers 15 minutes into a game and still haven't expanded, or they have thousands of minerals sitting around because they don't have enough buildings to use up those resources

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Doctor Goat posted:

roaches vs. marine ball is a fun fight

couldnt protoss use blink stalkers and hope they survive long enough to matter?

blink stalkers are also a good counter but how many players bronze-plat do you think can effectively manage blink stalkers

roaches also totally destroy marines unless you outnumber them 5 to 1

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 27, 2015

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Doctor Goat posted:

it's fun because you get to wade in with weird little bug dudes and spit acid on everyone and they can't do poo poo unless they have slowing round marauders and kite

i don't know how to use blink stalkers because the person i played ZvP against always just rushed air so i almost never saw stalkers

stalkers are the backbone of a lot of protoss armies, they're a do-it-all unit and relatively cheap. blink is also a huge upgrade to both their offense and defense.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

A pixel combined with a box, but "b" and "v" are very close together on the keyboard so people keep loving it up.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

playing sc2 with friends is fun

if someone is a master and the other person likes rushing to nukes it may not be as fun but neither is playing smash bros with the guy who owns the game

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Stik3 posted:

I explained what I was talking about when you said I was 'taking the game too seriously', I wasn't relating anything to you. Brush up on reading comprehension, please. This isn't about you. If someone's learning the game, they'd likely improve best against bots, to work on their macro.

this is what double AIDS looks like

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

why doesnt anyone use nydus worms ever

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i think in the third expansion they're going to make them invincible while spawning units or some really crazy sounding buff

you can open a backdoor into an enemy's base as long as you have vision on that spot. seems crazy powerful to me but i guess it isn't practical for some reason

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Doctor Goat posted:

heres a cast game employing the strategy of being cool and enjoying life

i think this is from a pro team??

hahahaha

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

So it turns out the unranked queue just matches you with 1v1 ranked people sometimes, so I got curbstomped by someone leagues ahead of me. I mean they can't all be winners but who even does that.

its important to learn a lesson in being owned

watching the replays of when you get totally stomped is normally enlightening

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

well yes, if your opponent is smart and makes a varied army that does it all you're going to run into some problems

terran starts the match with a do-it-all unit, but when the high templars and stuff start coming out you're going to need lots of micro, and you might want to invest into ghosts which a lot of terrans don't bother with. but ghosts tear most protoss armies up.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Doctor Goat posted:

the only protoss detector i can think of are cannons and observers which is better than the terrans get at least

always put a missle turret near the entrance to your base vs protoss if you scout a dark temple thing

in the mid/late game terrans can scan whenever they want so cloaked units are worthless

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

are there any other good sc2 casters besides husky?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

You will learn that Husky is widely regarded as a doo doo head. However if you unironically like his style, I will not hate, and will help you fellow gamer.

i think he's pretty funny in the dorkiest way and he's pretty clear with the casts, gets excited at the right moments and stuff. haven't found anyone else that casts games that way, and i dont like the other people you posted.

teamliquid and all that is cool it's just annoying to go off youtube to watch that poo poo. i wish they just had a youtube channel

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Doctor Goat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3KtBxRBCks i like how this match has a constant stream of zealots from a 7x gateway build

this is one of the most amazing games ive ever seen

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

I love the replays but I really hate the gently caress out of that caster. PROOOOOOOOOOOO TIP OF THE DAAAAAAAAY shut the gently caress up jesus christ

he's adorable, sorry you hate fun

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Doctor Goat posted:

he wears on you fast and does not have much new material

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxLyc3ogMmc

this is my favorite caster ever, he does coh2 and men of war.

the problem is he'll make a video, disappear for 2-4 months, then make another one. but he is constantly drunk and pretty funny, and talks like a normal bitter human being

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 3, 2015

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Lemming posted:

This is the only cast (ok it's a fpvod but whatever) you ever need to watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muitsly5t6M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG70wf2Zqw4

going to call those substances alcohol.....to keep this PG-13...

but if you use your imagination..

it could be rated R..

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

all of my games i am the only person to bother scouting or harassing. meanwhile the other dude is pretty much inevitably battlecruiser or brood lord massing for no reason.

um, reason 1 to amass end tier units: it's cool as gently caress. reason 2: nuff said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

I miss Wraiths and Pheonixes, because even though they were almost useless except for Anti-air and harassing (and Brood War added the way better dedicated AA units) people would get extremely upset if they lost to you massing ~170 supply of nothing but loving attack planes.

pheonix can still gently caress poo poo up big time. they can lift any non-massive unit in the air and render them helpless for a couple of seconds, with just a squad of 3-4 you can harass worker lines a lot, and with a couple more you can give certain army make ups a lot of trouble

i mean they're not mutalisks but they're by no means bad

• Locked thread