Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doctor Goat posted:

i like that the crazy conspiracy theory dude who said zerglings died if they touched lemon juice was right and there's a little footnote on the zergling page about it

i like overpowered upgrades but i really like it when my opponents can still cope. is this the case

I have always sucked at StarCraft somehow, so I struggled in a few spots but for the most part I didn't have any problems. The last few levels for both Wings of Liberty and Heart of the Swarm were challenging for me. I tried a few levels on the hard mode and couldn't do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doctor Goat posted:

i really love missions like the one where you are underground controlling Steadman/Tychus/Raynor/Cool Guy who's Not a Dwarf But Likes Robots and Is Short And Dwarfy

i'd play a whole game like that

The installation missions in StarCraft and Brood War were extremely good.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lemming posted:

I feel slightly conflicted about this in the sense that I only think the Zerg mechanic is really bad since you can't make up for lost time, and also because I think there's a place for games like Starcraft that are very technically demanding. However, I am incredibly bad at all the micro and stuff and have no motivation to get better at it, so it's not the most fun game for me to play. I wonder if Grey Goo is any good, prolly not.

my casual rts friend told me that it felt like they tried way too many things in the same game and some parts of it arent as well thought out. however it's a cool blend of c&c and supreme commander

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sc2 is real fun until i play against someone who cares, and then its horrible. kinda like mobas.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You're one of those people we make fun of in threads about games people take too seriously, dude. StarCraft 2 is amazing to play with friends because every game is more fun with friends. Shut the gently caress up about leagues and poo poo. Nobody cares about that homo faggotry.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stik3 posted:

It's also not fun to play with people who don't know how to make units because they refuse to play solo and will only play with friends. Don't be that guy who puts in no effort.

What in the gently caress are you talking about. Seek treatment for whatever brain disease that makes you think I'm your lovely rear end in a top hat friend.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why would they do that when they can play the game against an opponent that reacts.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Honestly all this talk about StarCraft makes me want to play it some more. Does anyone want to gently caress around and enjoy the game for what it is, and stay far away from the AIDS queue?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

buzzsaw.gif posted:

Red Alert 2 is far superior.

Yeah but it's hard to top perfect.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobnumerotres posted:

why doesnt anyone use nydus worms ever

they're retarded is my guess

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they sound like a wierdo

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So it turns out the unranked queue just matches you with 1v1 ranked people sometimes, so I got curbstomped by someone leagues ahead of me. I mean they can't all be winners but who even does that.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobnumerotres posted:

its important to learn a lesson in being owned

watching the replays of when you get totally stomped is normally enlightening

i cant for the life of me figure out how to counter the pvt deathball that protoss people make. it's just a bunch of stalkers, zealots, some immortals, a colossus or two, and a few caster units, i know. problem is that army is great against absoluetly anything you can field as terrans except a battlecruiser swarm, i guess, and that gets annihilated by void rays which are far cheaper and faster to produce. so unless you only make a handful of battlecruisers and a valkyrie screen, it's an easily countered counter for their do-all army.

im tired of playing against protoss i guess. i know i should have done air units once i saw he had no anti-air except stalkers but i already had a big biomech thing going that i didnt want to swap that late

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love the replays but I really hate the gently caress out of that caster. PROOOOOOOOOOOO TIP OF THE DAAAAAAAAY shut the gently caress up jesus christ

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
he's not even accomplishing anything with all those clicks, he's just wearing himself out. what a fag. people like him killed RTS games for anyone but competitive spergs.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doctor Goat posted:

i have convinced a friend to start sc2 so let's see if my internet can handle it

starcrafts has more distinct units than the actual game, wtf.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sc1 infested terrans were basically impossible to use. they were really good but the chances of catching a severely damaged terran command center on the ground and having time to get a queen over there was just ridiculous.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i won a game of pvp in bronze. i was very proud until i suddenly realized later that he had never scouted the entire game. he just built a zealot/pheonix/tempest/void ray mix for some reason and got absolutely trashcanned by my handful of immortals and collosus that he wasted time killing while my zealots destroyed every single building in seconds flat and the huge stalker pile one-shot all the tempests. also, he only had one expand fully fleshed out and the other was at the dense mineral spot with like two probes at 10 minutes or so. epic.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
all of my games i am the only person to bother scouting or harassing. meanwhile the other dude is pretty much inevitably battlecruiser or brood lord massing for no reason.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Last time I asked I forgot I had to work that night. So I went to bed after like an hour. I'm off this weekened though. I'm staying up super late since I can't sleep so I'll probably be awake at regular human times during the weekend.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I miss Wraiths and Pheonixes, because even though they were almost useless except for Anti-air and harassing (and Brood War added the way better dedicated AA units) people would get extremely upset if they lost to you massing ~170 supply of nothing but loving attack planes.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i don't like the tempest ground only thing, but the ability is cool. it's the only good way besides mass stalkers to counter protoss heavy air as another protoss. then again i recently discovered that the voidray has an active so maybe thats why i had so much trouble.

the carriers being able to swarm host is great because carriers are almost useless these days imo. they are so weak for so much investment.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
honestly i like most of the changes in general. the battlecruiser warp ability is ridiculous unless it costs the whole bar or something

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I keep winning matches by rushing blink stalkers and a warp prism, then just warping in like 8 stalkers into their main and wiping all their tech.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kylra posted:

I'm in silver somehow.

E: And losing a lot because I don't remember how to play.

Let's play.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
when you're doing zvt and you notice that he, is rushing ultralisks and doesn't really have any great aoe besides that, it's great fun to build a million loving marines and just micro by right clicking all the utralisks so they die in a quarter second flat before they even get to you

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doctor Goat posted:

what kind of fuckhead would rush ultras

i'm in bronze remember

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i 'love' that all of the big expensive units like that are a complete waste of time except the protoss colossus. stuff like the tempest is only useful if someone else is rushing carriers or battlecruisers or something.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that's what im saying. it's so retarded. you never really see them unless the early game battles are really inconclusive and both players are working their 5th base or whatever insane korean bullshit.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah people talk about the Protoss Micro but it's really easy to just make a quick blink stalker defence force and make a huge 200 supply deathball and a-move the enemy base

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the free units meta is insanely annoying to me

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'm starting to think pvp is the only remotely interesting matchup these days

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
those guys got upset at me that i couldn't tell which thread was the general starcraft thread when they all have joke names.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Zergling cliff jump would be hilarious.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Every Korean (read; worth while) tourney is now all zerg all the time

i wish starcraft had divergent metas. everyone not korean just copies the koreans and everyone korean just does the same tired stuff over and over.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

There actually are some wonky strats with the top tier players that pop up in long series. The problem is that instead of something like ##mass reapers into battle cruisers## its usually something like ##holy gently caress this timing attack hits 35 seconds earlier bynot gettimg a conventional upgrade##

And that second thing is actually really loving cool when like, Bomber does it against Life. But to people who aren't total sc2 spergs, it doesn't look that different.

That's what im talking about, it's literally not even a different strategy, it's just trading an upgrade for a slightly faster attack but meanwhile their general strategy is still completely the same as before.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
another modern sci-fi rts, ,, planetary annihilation, based off of total annihilation, is OK; it's no total annihilation and has a horrible reputation for being 'released' with basically 90% of the game being extremely unoptomized garbage, including a laggy menu. however, that said, they've actually kept patching it so its pretty ok now.

the singleplayer is still pretty annoying when you have no superweapons besides nukes or orbital anything. so instead of using the unit cannon or orbital units to get a beachhead and teleport in your army, you have to turtle up and spam missiles and hope you eventually hit someone. this map im playing only has 4 metal deposits per planet so this is agonizingly slow. i had a second planets worth but then the ai built a million anchors above it and welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It's OK.

• Locked thread