Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Actually it's better than that, imp. It's the best RTS on the market. A true 1v1 experience of strategic and tactical command. Two generals fighting to the death on a variety of battlefields with different formations that require different approaches. And that's not even including the different tile sets that make the commander feel like they're conquering a vast spectrum of worlds. If you're looking for a break neck multiplayer experience you can do no better than the Blizzard Masterpiece: Starcraft 2.

Hell, it's about drat time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Diablo 3:RoS is the best modern ARPG and SC2: HotS is the best modern RTS. What the heck how are you all such little bmers?

"Blizzard games have no soul!"
*Goes back to Path of Exile*

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Frank Horrigan posted:

Hangouts is widespread and technically superior. Also, the lovely ads everywhere is because of Microsoft. They were decent before the buyout, turned to poo poo almost instantly afterwards.

Did anybody ever play that time-travel RTS called Achron or something like that? It looked pretty sweet but it just dropped off the radar and I never heard of it again.

Forgot all about it.

edit; after reading the wiki, I still have no idea how the gently caress this game worked

edit edit;

wtf posted:

Chronoporting may lead to the grandfather paradox. In order to solve this, the game's engine automatically switches between the two possible outcomes. For instance, if a tank travels to the past and destroys the factory that created it, the tank survives and the factory is destroyed with the passing of a time-wave, vice versa with the passing of another, and so on until one outcome falls out of the boundaries of the timeline and the other becomes the absolute outcome.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 24, 2015

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Looking around at a few reviews for Achron, it seems like it was pretty lovely. Everyone was kind of stoked about how well the time travel component was implemented, but everything else was poo poo. Generic, unbalanced, bad path-finding, basically all the RTS sins. Also to do multiplayer you needed to synchronize a P2P thing by meeting in an IRC channel. Even then it worked only some of the time.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
The gameplay in the campaigns is really loving good and actually varied in difficulty levels. Like the imper said before, it's not just making enemy units a health sponge or something. They get different stuff, do different strategies and it's awesome. A lot of the early RTS's campaigns were comprised of generic scenarios over and over. And they basically just use the same units as multiplayer. SC2 owns because 1) Basically all of the levels in the SC2 campaigns have some unique quirk/gimmick that makes it a unique gaming experience. And 2) there are unique units/techs that aren't in multiplayer. Throw on that the technology/evolution paths, the dope cut scenes, and the crisp gameplay it's just too much loving fun. I know I have been touting this game a lot in this thread but this such a drat good drat.

The story is hot garbage though. Kerrigan and Raynor are teenage lover idiots and there's one level in HotS where Kerrigan gets into a DBZ-style kamehameha blast battle with a psychic dead alien.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Show some manners you all! This game is the dopest!!!!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Hai guys

Want to watch a protoss stumble around ladder?

http://www.twitch.tv/haterhaver

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Glad I can help. We're still going strong. Division Rank 2 Now!

We're listening to some chill best of the 90's

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I don't think so. People have been really polite today. Normally when I cheese I get called ethnic slurs.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Bobnumerotres posted:

yeah giant marine balls are especially handy against protoss because the only units they have as a hard counter are colossus, which aren't exactly easy to amass

Also High Templars, and Archons to some extent. Hell even zeals do a pretty good job if the marines don't stutter step.

Bobnumerotres posted:

the giant marine balls are basically proof that good macro is essential to getting anywhere in the game. people have all these "sick strategies", then players try them out in bronze and the strats fall apart because they only have 20 workers 15 minutes into a game and still haven't expanded, or they have thousands of minerals sitting around because they don't have enough buildings to use up those resources
Yeah people want to do sick strategies first, and not worry about macro. But macro is the foundation of everything else. There are totally sick strategies that seem dumb but can work at the pro level. Micro is sick, micro'ing while having split second precision macro is a thing of gaming ambrosia.

Doctor Goat posted:

roaches vs. marine ball is a fun fight

couldnt protoss use blink stalkers and hope they survive long enough to matter?

This can work, but generally only at specific timings. Things like upgrades and medivacs can shift who wins what. But in the early game, it's entirely possible for like 3 stalkers to kill 9+ marines with effective kiting.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Smythe posted:

is there another RTS franchise with the razor sharp control as star craft ?

Not even close. I love RTS'es but SC2 is king.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Starcraft 2 Owns get it, play it

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Doctor Goat posted:

the only protoss detector i can think of are cannons and observers which is better than the terrans get at least

always put a missle turret near the entrance to your base vs protoss if you scout a dark temple thing

The Protoss flying unit: the oracle, also has a spell that temporarily turns it into a detector.

For TvP you should basically always build a reaper first so you can fly around their base and scout what they are doing. If it looks aggressive (many gateways), build bunkers at the top of your ramp and get ready to pulls scvs to repair them. If it looks like protoss is going to play a macro game (aka looks like they are going to build another nexus), then you should tech up to factory and starport to do a widow mine drop. Put a widow mine in your medivac and fly it to the protoss mineral line, and bury the widow mine there.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Bobnumerotres posted:

are there any other good sc2 casters besides husky?

You will learn that Husky is widely regarded as a doo doo head. However if you unironically like his style, I will not hate, and will help you fellow gamer.

WinterSC
Destiny
TotalBiscuit

But if you want some real sc2 gamer feels go here: http://www.teamliquid.net/
On the top right there is a calendar thing that looks like this.

It's basically your one stop shop for seeing if there's any top shelf sc2 going on. Please note the IEM TaiPei Day 5 which will show the semi's and grand final tonight with some pretty sick players. The puzzle piece next to the name will take you to "Liquipedia" and give you a breakdown of the tournament details, current bracket, and other cool stuff.

Here is my stream: http://www.twitch.tv/haterhaver

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
How Could I forget this package of win!?! Carbot StarCrafts! They are cute and charming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxOm86GB9nQ

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Doctor Goat posted:

how come casters always talk like stopping will kill them

Unfortunately it's what the people want.

There is an event called "Home Story Cup" where a German dude invites a bunch of Starcrafters to his apartment that is above a bar. They smoke, play poker, bbq, and drink a bunch. The casting there is so much more chill, with calmer delivery and stuff. People will be like "yeah... if this doesn't get scouted... there will be a tough spot for jerg down the road due to x,y,z". In regular tournament casting it will just be people squeal about stuff and scream into the mic "OMG THE BANELINGS, THE BANELINGS". Sometimes it's legitimate amazing and warrants such delivery, but a lot of times it's just them doing it to do it.

Oh also Bobnumerotres I can't believe I forgot this one;

http://day9.tv/

Day9 Used to be one of the best SC2 analysts, if not THE best. However he started trending towards more being entertaining than anything because $. Also he's devoting less and less time to sc2 than to other games, presumably because it's easier for him to be good at them and also $. If this trend continues he will eventually just be a LP'er.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
In vanilla SC2 infested terran were OP as poo poo

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Bobnumerotres posted:

for heart of the swarm there was a terran mech unit that was basically a super marauder and it was just removed in a patch because people thought it sucked

Yeah there were a lot of things proposed for HotS that were altered drastically or straight up dropped. I'd say maybe 50% of the stuff previewed makes it into LotV. Those multiplayer change youtubes are basically a series of hype videos.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
AND IM loving HYPE

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Most of the end tier capital units are used in mirror matchups. Tempests to snipe colossus. Battle-cruisers to snipe tanks. Broodlords to be dumb and dumb. Carriers are garbage though. For a variety of reasons they are, by far, the worst unit in the game.

ZvT can actually see ultras after a while of ling-bling-muta. However a lot of games in our leagues don't really get that far because you only need it in specific spots and it requires crisp macro and timings.

It is widely acknowledged that Terran has the highest burden of micro of the three races.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Bobnumerotres posted:

terran and zerg are pretty boring to watch unless they do something weird. but it's almost always MMM from T or big muta balls from Z

If you think constant macro, multiple medivac drop harass, and splitting versus banelings is boring... well sc2 might not be the game for you.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Also everyone here should join SA sc2 clan: zeez.

Skype this guy and ask to be added to our channel: synastrensa

Tell him that the Hater Haver sent ya.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Bobnumerotres posted:

cant wait to play with the totally cool goons from the blizzard subforum

I'm there and I'm cool as ice.

We are chill dudes and often link pictures of dogs.

And Hashtag Real talk we actually have a few GM's and many masters, so if you wanna get better get in this

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Doctor Goat posted:

i like the sc2 reaver design, too bad it wasn't used

^looks really loving pimp also lol at why they removed it:

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Reaver posted:

The Reaver was fully replaced by the Colossus because the Colossus required the same tech but was superior in mobility, hitpoints and needed less micro to handle
tldr; babby protoss couldn't handle microing it so they got the colossus instead loving lmao

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Also yeah, I told y'all that new units would be getting added/removed/changed

Don't panic IMPs, LotV gonna own

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Larry Parrish posted:

Zergling cliff jump would be hilarious.

Every Korean (read; worth while) tourney is now all zerg all the time

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Larry Parrish posted:

i wish starcraft had divergent metas. everyone not korean just copies the koreans and everyone korean just does the same tired stuff over and over.

There actually are some wonky strats with the top tier players that pop up in long series. The problem is that instead of something like ##mass reapers into battle cruisers## its usually something like ##holy gently caress this timing attack hits 35 seconds earlier bynot gettimg a conventional upgrade##

And that second thing is actually really loving cool when like, Bomber does it against Life. But to people who aren't total sc2 spergs, it doesn't look that different.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Doctor Goat posted:

this is why i don't pay attention to competitive anything

At a certain point, the developers have to make a balanced RTS. Trying to have every strategy be viable is a fools errand.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Bobnumerotres posted:

jfc i would just stop at some point

When koreans get to super late game, it's because there was a razor balance between the two in a struggle of perfect macro and epic micro.

When foreigners get to super late game, it's because they're little brats turtling up to mech and swarm hosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

babypolis posted:

i tried playing this game and after the placement games i got into gold league. i then proceeded to get horribly stomped over and over, except for one game where my opponent left immediately. it was a miserable experience. at least the campaign was cool

SC2 Single Player owns. The player can choose what levels to do, the player can choose their tech trees, and unlike multiplayer basically any strategy the player wants to do is viable.

SC2 Multiplayer is a hellscape of trials and tribulations. A sisyphean task of always winning 50% of your games. But it also owns. We imps ladder not because it is easy, but because it is hard.

• Locked thread