Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
  • Locked thread
Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!





The Cast:
Marcia Stuart Blaine, Operations, The Infernal
Marco Vassarian, Security (and Section 31. Don't tell anyone!), The Chosen
Jane Theodora Kirk (No relation), Communications, The Mortal
Angela West, Security,The Were-alien
Ally Jay, Engineering, The Selkie
Psilae, Engineering and Participant in Xenocultural Exchange program, the Queen
Gene Solomon, Engineering, the Djinni (The Skin)

PC and NPC Strings

OOC Thread

It's Thursday afternoon. You all got stuck with an early shift, and it's right before lunch and the shift change. After lunch, you'll have a short class on warp mechanics, and you'll be free for the rest of the day. Which is good, because you'll probably need a bit of sleep before the secret, clearly-against-the-regs holodeck party that has been planned for tonight on one of the abandoned decks.

On top of that, Monday morning is when the first cadet will be named acting captain. While the commander will be watching him or her most of the time, the Captain would still have plenty of opportunities to blatantly abuse their powers act on their own initiative.

With all that's going on, the ship's rumor mill has been working at double-time. Everyone, what's a rumor that you heard but think is clearly ridiculous?

Marcia, why did you organize the double secret party on the holodeck tonight? What's the theme going to be?
Who did the Narrator say you might meet there? Why do you hope they won't show up?

Marco, who has Section 31 had you shadowing the past few days? What odd behavior have they exhibited?
Which cadet do you suspect has been following you? Why are you planning on going to the party tonight?

Jane, before you go off to lunch, you noticed a strange subspace transmission. What was the unusual message encoded in it?
Whose help do you need to finish your project for warp mechanics? What do you think they're going to want in return?
Why are you planning on going to the party tonight?

Angela, what scheme are you working on to vault yourself ahead of everyone else in the running for the Big Chair? Whose help do you need for it to work?
Why don't you want to ask them? Why are you planning on going to the party tonight?

Ally, who is going to have your shift tonight?
What do you think they're going to divert power from to power the holosuite? Why is that an awful idea?
Since you'll be free this evening, why do you want to go to the party?

Psilae, first off, what do you eat, anyway? Which of your fellow cadets in engineering has seemed worked up for their whole shift? What do you think the problem is?
Which member of your gang won't be able to make it to the party because of a late shift? They've asked you to try and help find someone willing to cover for them. Who are you thinking of asking?
Why do you want to go to the party?

Gene, how did you find out about the results of Marco's wish? What do you think about Marco now?
What's been really bothering your dad recently? Why do you feel like you have to go to the party tonight?

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at Jan 24, 2015 around 16:21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!



Please have your information in the following format at the top of your post, bolding your highlights:

quote:

Jeanine Delacroix
Hot 0 Cold: 1 Violatile -1 Dark 2
Harm 1/4 exp: 3/5 Condtions: Disrespectful, kinky freak, shallow

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at Jan 25, 2015 around 01:30

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

MC posted:

Marcia, why did you organize the double secret party on the holodeck tonight? What's the theme going to be?
Who did the Narrator say you might meet there? Why do you hope they won't show up?
M. S. Blaine
Hot 0 Cold -1 Volatile 1 Dark 1
Harm /4 XP /5 Conditions:

When Computer made that pass at Marco right in front of both of us, I felt two things: relief that it wasn't harassing me for once, and a plot coming on. I suppressed the urge to point at the wireframe head and scream, "a-HA!" and overplay my hand, instead waiting until I could get Marco alone to lay out my theories and plans. The Narrator's dictation went like this:

"Marcia and the boy who shares her name huddle close together in a private corner to conspire against the rogue program. She knows even if they both testify against it that the word of two cadets would never be enough to sway her superiors into an investigation, so instead she outlines how they could lay a trap for it. A secret holodeck party with two themes meant to confuse the computer as their names had: it shall be a masquerade and a Greek party. The twelve Olympian gods would mean repeat costumes, most of which would have togas, which were unisex and more or less identical, and masks, which could be exchanged. It'd be a simple matter of each of them switching costumes with and then pairing off with other individuals. Each time the Computer would flirt with a new pair it'd be unwittingly giving them another witness to its perversion.

"The ethics of the sting operation were addressed next: they could not expose their fellows to annoyance and discomfort without their prior knowledge. She forbids it. And even with informed consent, the number of additional testimonies they acquired should be kept to a minimum to avoid arousing the suspicion of the Computer. The goal of this operation is six testimonies. They had each other already.

"Since they had equal stake in the mission's success, it also only seemed fair that they should each be responsible for recruitment of two agreed-upon accomplices...
"

I try not to get distracted by her voice while I nominate midshipmen Gene Solomon and Psilae. "They both seem the type who would be all too willing to help out for the good deed itself, especially the former. The latter... I know we can only hope that she can convince her not-so-secret admirers to let us get her alone for long enough to trick the Computer, but then again she might also be able to convince them to corroborate her testimony. We could get there all at once if we're lucky, so it's a risk I'm willing to take."

Highlighting Hot for Psilae, since she needs to manipulate her clique. And wants to meet boys I guess.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

quote:

Everyone, what's a rumor that you heard but think is clearly ridiculous?

Marco, who has Section 31 had you shadowing the past few days? What odd behavior have they exhibited?
Which cadet do you suspect has been following you? Why are you planning on going to the party tonight?

Report, Operative Marco Vassarian posted:

Medical Ensign Kurj Ach'Nal has not deviated from routine activities since surveillance has begun. It is suspected he has a plan to commit a homicide aboard the Lancelot, but his target is still unknown. Resuming surveillance upon next watch shift. Expect further reports.

*URGENT ADDENDUM*

A gathering of Ensigns on the Holodeck has been planned. Ach'Nal is growing anxious - scalpels have gone missing from the Medbay, and Ach'Nal may be trying to improvise a weapon for his plan. Target is still unknown, but he aims to make his move on the night of the party. His attendance is confirmed. So is mine. Ensign Kurj Ach'Nal's death will need a cleaner. Klingons don't go quietly. In addition, requesting a distraction against one Eloa Geras. She's been tailing me, trying to figure out what my "secret" is. My cover needs to be maintained, and she CANNOT be involved in any more elimination ops. Under any circumstances.

Marcia's plan is good. Quite good. And it provides me an opportunity to thwart the murder attempt that's going on as well. But the problem is that her choice of people to bring along, while good for her plan, is horrible for mine.

I would like to keep an eye on Gene. BUT, I'm gonna have to let him slide for the night. I have a different candidate in mind.

"I'd recommend bringing Angela. One, she's Security. Her testimony lends credibility. In addition to that, she's fiery. Computer gets mouthy with her, folks are gonna notice. And we want this noticed."

Mentally, I make a note to hunt down Jane. She's the one I actually want to go to the party with. And thwarting murders and stopping the perverted Computer are my JOB, but this party's for FUN. And drat it, I'm gonna have some fun there.

In the meantime, I make some small talk.

"So have you heard that rumor that they want to do a diplomacy test? With actual Romulan emissaries? I just don't get the point, that could get us all killed. And they'd entrust that to someone crazy diplomatic. Like that Captain we learned about, Picard."

Tempus Rimeblood fucked around with this message at Jan 24, 2015 around 20:38

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

M. S. Blaine
Hot 0 Cold -1 Volatile 1 Dark 1
Harm /4 XP /5 Conditions:

I purse my lips and furrow my brows, not about the rumor, about Angela West. She's seen the aftermath of Computer's nonsense once before, and was less than sympathetic. She might suspect ulterior motives if Marco asks her to put herself in the same position I was in. I have to voice my concern, but I figure some smalltalk first might make that easier.

"It could be a sim: some of our Vulcan cohorts in costumes on a stage on this very ship, pretending to be in a cloaked ship just on the other side of the border..."

I stroke my chin and try to bring up what I wanted to say in the first place gently, "I'm not so sure about West. Computer waits for me or you--or us--to be isolated before... changing behaviors. You've observed this, and have agreed that we need it to be acknowledged and stopped. What you haven't seen is how it covers up this behavior when attention is drawn to it, and turns things around on the accusers. Hence, my reputation. If West is, as you say, 'fiery,' Computer will exploit that. We could get blowback."

The Narrator is about to comment on my subconscious underlying jealousy, some nonsense like "she warns him away against her rival," I can feel it. So I try to nip it in the bud, adding, "--just something to keep in mind. I'm not against your candidate, I mean to inform you what to expect, so you can fill her in--prepare her for, you know."

Fumbling words notwithstanding, my gambit succeeds. The Narrator doesn't comment on my thoughts and intentions. She comments on his.

The Narrator gets a string on me. Marco reveals one of their secret fears, secret desires, or secret strengths (they choose.)

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at Jan 24, 2015 around 21:29

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

Marco

"You raise a fair point. Too fiery, Computer covers its tracks, and we're back at square one. Not fiery enough, she doesn't get mistaken for one of us. Time for a soft touch. As for the Romulan thing, that's more plausible than actually putting us in contact with the Empire. Even so, it's iffy. I mean, at least the Kobayashi Maru gives us a reasonable scenario."

Marco's secret desire: To be out of the shadows (to do what he does for Section 31 as an actual, sanctioned Starfleet Security Officer. Saving the galaxy, but with his face in the limelight, if not the spotlight.)

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

M. S. Blaine

I don't hear a word he says after "soft touch." Not because those two are distracting to me in any way, because something the Narrator's said grabbed my attention.

"They share more than the first four letters of their name: both of them also wish that, at long last, the time when they no longer needed to hide themselves from each other would finally come. Marcia may not be a spy for Section 31, but she understood Marco in a way he might never realize..."

I realize I'm gaping, and shut my mouth. I'm making secret plans with the goal of salvaging my reputation with an infiltrator. I cringe inwardly at how I was warning him about blowback a second ago. An espionage term. What if his cover's blown and it's found out that we conspired together? I could go down with him! I disguise my need to turn away from him with an indication of a nearby replicator and try not to rush over to it. "Tearlgrayhot." I blurt out. There's a beat.

"[I'm sorry, did you mean--]" starts the Computer, about to gently caress with me.

"--Tea. Earl Grey. Hot." I say loudly and clearly. Too loudly.

I turn around and Marco is right behind me. I back away from him and find myself leaning against a wall. As if he gave me any indication that he wanted to use it after me. "Just like Picard used to drink!" I chirp. I close my eyes, smell, drink, and focus. This isn't all bad. The worst he's going to suspect is that I'm crazy, which everyone already thinks. Furthermore, now that I know he has conflicted interests I am at least forewarned. He may have just given up West's loyalties to me too. Maybe I could get him to tell me more.

"Ahem, so, did you have any other candidates in mind. Or vetos, for that matter?:

Hot 0 Cold -1 Volatile 1 Dark 1 Harm /4 XP /5 Conditions:

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at Jan 24, 2015 around 22:44

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

Marco

"No other solid candidates, really. The whole thing seems to be rather well in hand. I trust that you'll make good calls on that one."

I size her up. What's with the gaping, and the sudden case of the happies? I'd be concerned that she knows more than she should. But it's really a matter of testing the waters, figuring out what's what. I don't want to burn her, she's nice enough. But I can't be sure. Hell, maybe just the words "soft touch" got her all riled up.

"So...what brings about the sudden change of mood, Blaine? Was it something I said?"

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

M. S. Blaine

Deep breath, of course. Here comes the charm. The Narrator takes his side, of course, ""No, Marco," she thinks, "it's what you didn't say."" I laugh them both off. "Oh nothing, I just remembered that West also observed the Computer at work. Well, the aftermath. She was less than sympathetic to my plight then, and at the time I thought 'What if she's in on it?' Then just now it was, 'Vassarian nominated her, what if he's in on it too?'

"Wouldn't that be something? The Computer setting me up for the long con..." I look him right in the eyes, watching for any reaction. One change of mood deserves another, doesn't it?

Hot 0 Cold -1 Volatile 1 Dark 1 Harm /4 XP /5 Conditions:

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

Marco

"If the Computer was running the long con, the two least subtle people in Security would be bad choices for shills, wouldn't you think? Besides, that's an awfully paranoid outlook to have. Almost like you think someone's at your back," I say, half-smirk on my face. Maybe I CAN get something out of her. She's floundering, trying to bat her eyelashes and make me dance for her amusement. Shame these eyes only see one.

Biting the, uh...phaser bolt here. Marco's offering a String and a shiny XP if Marcia slips up and reveals that she Knows Too Much.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

M. S. Blaine

I hate it when this happens: the Narrator and I jinx each other. We both say simultaneously, "Or maybe the best place for a spy is where he's least expected." poo poo. That was way too obvious, and he reacts. It's too late to take it back now. I don't blink, I just keep staring him down. We're exactly the same height. I have a cup of hot tea. I think I could take him if he tries to silence me. I square my stance, "So... are you watching my back, or are you watching my back."

Hot 0 Cold -1 Volatile 1 Dark 1 Harm /4 XP /5 Conditions:

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

Marco

Hmph. Thought so.

"The best place for a spy, Blaine, is where he's needed. And here, dealing with a pervy computer, is not that place. The only person with any interest in your back...is you. Now, then. Since you seem to...have some knowledge you're not letting on, I'm gonna need you to do me a favor. Read your papers. The original Starfleet charter. Article 14, Section 31. Think about its meaning. What it entails. And why our Federation History class glossed over it like it was so much cruft. Then, when you think you understand who's watching whose back, go ahead and talk to me. I may have some need of your company in the future. Possibly even at the party. Like I said, I have no reason to take any interest in you. So if you read that paragraph, and something just so happens to make sense in relation to a conversation we never had, why don't you have a talk with me sometime before the party? Until then, this portion of our conversation is over. And remember - silence is golden."

I was erring on the side of caution, but I knew the Section would condone this. She reached the conclusion on her own. Naturally. Making her a deniable asset was the next step. And if she went public? One, no one would believe her, and two, no one would be the wiser if she hung herself in the brig.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.


Angela West, The Were-Alien
Hot 1 | Cold -1 | Volatile 2 | Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions: None

People have been talking all day, not about the party or the captaincy pick like you'd expected, but theres some stupid rumor going around about the people who have decks up against the hull hearing sounds from outside, like footsteps and chittering. As if something could be living on the outside of the ship, how stupid do they think we are? Apparently pretty stupid actually considering how many people believe it.

I've got two ideas in mind for finishing securing the Captain's chair. The first one is to just get the party busted wide open by the teachers when the other top candidates are there. That one is simple, easy and safe. But, I want to go to the party. We haven't had one in a bit, and I've been feeling pretty wound up lately, a party is just the thing I need to let off some steam. Maybe go unwind with a good looking partner.

Which leads to the second plan. Pretty much everyone on this ship gets the instant coffee from the replicator machines, and they all need it to function in the morning. Without it, they're all practically zombies for a few hours. Everyone except me I mean, I can't stand the taste of the stuff. So, if the replicators all malfunction, or the coffee doesn't have caffeine in it for some reason monday morning, all the other candidates will be brain dead and look like crap, making me, the only person who looks like they're worth a drat, automatically even higher up in the ranks than they are. Both of these plans are kind of pointless honestly since I'm going to win either way, but no point in not being careful.

Thing about plan two is, I can't do that on my own, I need someone who knows replicator machines and is big enough of a pushover to do what I want. Which means either Gene or Ally. Both of them would do fine at it, but they're also both such pushovers they'd probably tell if anyone asked what was up. Going to have to think about this a bit more.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

M. S. Blaine

Oh no you don't. You don't get to tell me when a conversation's over. And you don't get to make it about my "back." The future when you might need me, Marco, is now.

"'Starfleet personnel are permitted to take extraordinary measures in times of extreme threat.' Don't patronize me, cadet. If the Charter's a tapestry, Section 31 is a loose thread: pull it too hard and you unravel the whole thing and are left with nothing but a bolus of fiber. But you already know that.

"Something you might not know, is that I thought you'd be ordering from the replicator after me, so I pressed the button for you. Your highly complicated order just got recorded and saved to a database, in case it catches on. I could delete it for you right now from the console, if you ask nicely. But, like you said, you have no interest in me. Maybe your security goons can help you threaten the database into staying golden."

"Or maybe you should remember the Golden Rule."

Hot 0 Cold -1 Volatile 1 Dark 1 Harm /4 XP /5 Conditions:

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Toot Toot I'm A Boot


Jane Theodora Kirk
Hot 2, Cold -1, Volatile -1, Dark 1. Harm 0/4 XP 0/5. Conditions:

Huh? The coded transmission that someone tried to bury in a bunch of astro-telemetry chatter being automatically sent as part of a position report? The one that I noticed because it was supposed to be related to pulsar sequencing but it was stuck in the graviometrics data? I have no idea who sent it yet, but after like 2 seconds of decryption work it says 'cornucopia aboard pls advise' so that could pretty much mean anything. It's clearly not official business or a regular supply question, and as far as I know a cornucopia is pretty much just an old myth about a thing like a replicator. Whoever sent it was better at masking their point of origin than they were at hiding and encrypting the message, but I'll figure it out. Might be another test from Lieutenant th'Zarath. Speaking of whom, there's a rumor going round that she's either a) got some kind of Andorian disease that makes her strange and antisocial or b) that she's feeling the pangs of forbidden love. I'd love to tease her about it but she is a superior officer and all that. Plus I don't want to alienate my favorite teacher. Wait, is saying 'alienate' racist now? I should have paid more attention in cultural classes. She's probably just tired, anyway.

Warp mechanics is a complete drag, which is pretty much what this assignment is about, or at least the drag effect that an over-sized warp bubble can have on warp speeds in smaller ships, even though it's not clear what medium exists to exert the drag pressure in the first place. One of the reasons shuttles don't normally see use for interstellar travel. Anyway, I need some help from an engineering cadet because there are a bunch of tedious equations involved in the theory, and I want to 'get my work checked' (sucker someone into doing it properly for me) before I hand it in. I was thinking I'd ask Ally, because she's sort of a pushover, and I figure I can get out of it without her asking for more than an off-record message home, or a little unmonitored bandwidth for personal use.

I'm planning on going to the party tonight because I'll be off shift, and I really need a break from scrolling through all these data feeds before I go cross-eyed. A little drinking, a little dancing, a little holodeck romancing, should be fun. No reason not to go. Especially if Marco is going to be there, all intense and in need of a little R&R. He's having some kind of argument with Marcia from Ops as I arrive late for my lunch, and blocking access to the replicator. I'm not eavesdropping ok I totally am as I walk up. Something about gold?

"Hey, Marco! How're the thrilling adventures aboard the USS Lancelot going for you today? Oh, hi Marcia."

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

Marco

Jane! Salvation and an exit from this conversation, all in one extremely-pleasant-to spend-time-with package.

I give her a hug. "Jane! How are ya? Goin' to that thing tonight? I was just goin' over some stuff with Marcia. Federation History, some of the more obscure paragraphs they didn't really cover in class. It all seems fairly obvious, you know? Just a matter of reading between the lines."

Quick step to the replicator. Time to call Marcia's bluff. "Coffee. Black. Hot." As my steaming cup of caffeinated goodness is being dispensed, I think about my next choice of words.

And right back over to Jane. Where I'm needed. There's one last thing I can try to say.

"Marcia, check your tricorder. I highlighted the relevant section, and added a note for some clarification. Stay gold."

I lean against the wall near the door, waiting for Jane to order from the replicator as I make notes to beam directly to her. They're self-encrypting and self-destructing, a Section specialty. It's how I receive my orders, in fact. But I make the quick note, beam it across, and now I'm done.

A Note posted:

Section 31 of the Starfleet Charter is highlighted. A footnote is attached, reading "I'm trying to help you. But my hands and tongue are tied. I know that you know. I just can't TELL you that. Okay? Meet me before the dance, I'll give you a little more of a hint.

One minute after the note is read, it will completely erase itself and zero the space in resident memory. And that's all she'll need to know.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

M. S. Blaine

Now there are two of them, and I only have one cup of earl grey hot. Looks like they don't want a fight though. Good. I wonder if that hug he gives her is real, or if she's just an asset now, maybe a human shield later. I give the interloper a nod, and half a smile.

"Kirk. In addition to that boring stuff we were talking about all the funny stupid and sad orders that people give the replicators that end up in their databases. He's sending me some now.... I tell ya, one of these days I'm going to program these things to make a netted hoop on a stick in response to some sad sack asking it for 'true love.' What about you, heard any good ones?" I raise an eyebrow at her with my challenge. I bet the Narrator will be quicker on the draw.

I listen to her first, Kirk second, and the notification on my tricorder from the message that Vassarian no doubt just sent me I purposefully ignore after muting the sound. I shoot him the other half of my smile instead. Whatever he says can wait.

Turn on Marco's Polo: 2d6 8
The Narrator gets a string on me. Jane reveals one of their secret fears, secret desires, or secret strengths (they choose.)
Hot 0 Cold -1 Volatile 1 Dark 1 Harm: /4 XP: 2/5 Conditions:

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at Jan 25, 2015 around 02:50

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

Marco

That smile is somethin' else. And while it registers in my mind, I am definitely more concerned with Jane, and more...pressing matters. Like the fact that someone aboard the ship that isn't a Section 31 plant knows who I am.

"Well then. Go ahead and look over the notes at your leisure. If you have any more questions, ask whenever."

Take a String!

Tempus Rimeblood fucked around with this message at Jan 25, 2015 around 02:47

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh


Ally Jay
Hot -1 | Cold 1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 2 | Harm 0/4 | XP 0/5

>kblu 'party'
A landing party, sometimes referred to as the 'away team', is

>jhujio;fe rtd
invalid syntax



Stupid knowledge base. Everyone seemed to be talking about this party, but... well, I don't really know what that is. I've heard it a lot and it seems like a bunch of people together in one place, but why? What are they doing? Why do people use the same words for so many different things!

"Don't tell me you're looking up what a party is, Ally."

I scramble to clear my input as Aimee leans around the corner into my spot. "Uh, of course not. That would be, um, silly, right?" Considering she already saw my screen I'm not sure what I'm trying to lie about, but every time I have to look up these weird words the other cadets use I feel kind of embarrassed, and this isn't helping at all.

"Just go to the drat thing, figure it out yourself. Have fun, especially since you're leaving me in charge of turning toasters on all night anyways. What doesn't kill you makes you, uh, less of a doof, or something. Worst case, I'll make sure those meatheads don't get much time making fun of you if you clutz it up a bit."

Why would a party kill me? "Uh, why would a pa- er, I mean, f-fine, yeah, I guess I'll go. I should have everything ready for the night overwatch already, just make sure you keep Mister Blake's replicator on, because it's Thursday and you know how he gets on Thursdays without-" Aimee cuts me off by dragging me out into the spine's hall.

"You practically sleep through this and you even already set it up for me, I think I can handle snooze patrol. Go have a dang party, girl."


Aimee doesn't really keep listening once she's set on something, if she was listening to me at all in the first place. Maybe I should just go sit around the canteen for the night, but... What if Angela's in the party? With my jacket? And what if she does something really bad in it oh no I have to go to the party.

But the party's a while away, and, um... Where exactly was it... My handheld should still be in that odd 'gossip' channel the cadets wanted Encryption to make for them, let's see...

yo anyone see a seal outside on monday p sure i wasnt just seein stuff
i think i saw it too! it looked super cute, except i'm pretty sure seals don't go in space, super weird huh?


Nonono, nope. It takes me a few seconds of mashing delete to remember I can't actually delete the thread, but oh no that's not good at all. I think everyone's already at the party since nobody's around to stare at me slapping at my handheld. I should just... Get to the party. I'll figure this out later.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Toot Toot I'm A Boot


Jane Theodora Kirk
Hot 2, Cold -1, Volatile -1, Dark 1. Harm 0/4 XP 0/5. Conditions:

Oh hey Marco, nice to see you too! I hug him back, glad that neither Marcia or him can see my face while I'm blushing. Gah, he's so buff! Way beyond the Starfleet fitness standard. I linger on the hug a little longer than I need to, and only let him go when it's a bit beyond obvious that I'm enjoying it.

Turn on Marco (True Love): 2d6+3 7

"Doing fine, 'nother long shift of staring at the screen waiting for hails. There was something screwy with the astro-telemetry, but, uh..."

Don't really want to talk about coded messages with Marcia there.

"Probably nothing. Just a malfunction, like pretty much everything on this ship. And yeah, I'm all set for tonight. Even managed to get a little early finish so I can clean up beforehand."

Speaking of Marcia what the hell is she talking about? She shouldn't have access to personal replicator records, those are confidential. It would take a clever hacker to get in without actual command clearance, which I know for a fact she doesn't have because I hacked her records when I was bored on a long shift one time. Her marks are good, but she's never shown that kind of technical aptitude.

Secret strength: Jane is actually really good at making computers do what she wants, when properly motivated.

edit: to clarify this is the Downward Spiral power being used on Starfleet's explosive computer consoles - take harm to gather information. If that's not secret strengthy enough let me know


"Haha, true love, really? Next they'll be asking the computer core to divide by zero, which would be ridiculously easy and give them back a proper Scott-Baker number. Uh...Wait, a tennis racket?"

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at Jan 25, 2015 around 13:36

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

Marco
Harm: 0/4, XP: 0/5
Hot 1, Cold -1, Volatile 2, Dark -1

"I think she means an actual net," I say. "Some of the cadets may actually need one."

I give Jane a meaningful glance. "So about that one thing..." I say, leaning in close to whisper in her ear. God, but her blush is cute. I kind of just want to get her alone, but that would be so tactless. Plus, I just got off a shift in security, and I've broken up three fights already and one container of synthol thrown in my general direction by a particularly hammered Medical cadet. I probably smell awful, and we all know that's not a turn-on.

"The party tonight. I'd like you to come with me. As a couple."

Marco is going to promise Jane something he thinks she wants! That being a date to the party!

Tempus Rimeblood fucked around with this message at Jan 25, 2015 around 03:56

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!


Capfalcon posted:

With all that's going on, the ship's rumor mill has been working at double-time. Everyone, what's a rumor that you heard but think is clearly ridiculous?

Gene, how did you find out about the results of Marco's wish? What do you think about Marco now?
What's been really bothering your dad recently? Why do you feel like you have to go to the party tonight?

Gene Solomon
Hot 1, Cold -1, Volatile -1, Dark +2
0/4 Harm | 0/5 XP | Conditions: None




There always seems to be something wrong with the replicators. And maybe only half of the time Is it some minor repair like "I asked for Romulan Coffee, fresh, hot, but it gave me Coffee, fresh, lukewarm". Sometimes I've heard "I asked for Coffee, fresh, hot, and it gave me a dead Nematodan dirtworm." It's strange--I've checked the programming and ripped out the organic stock filters several times. And no matter how many times the replicators come back for overhauls, the problem persists. If anything, the problem seems to have gotten more prevalent since we've set off. I've heard people talk about how someone is deliberately messing with the replicators to throw off tonight's gathering, about how someone wants to make the ship turn around and go back to a Starfleet station for a further workover. Even suggestions of sabotage, like supply attacks of old.

I'm...trying not to think about that too much, as I run another diagnostic. Honestly there's a few things on my mind that aren't the replicators. First one is Marco. He'd asked me one day to make his life "easier". And I tried to do just that. I wasn't quite sure what was going to happen--I thought he was going to get transferred to an easier class or maybe have a massive cake show in his room. Or just have the computer glitch to make all his grades go well. But when the flag officers gathered everyone in the briefing room and announced that someone had blown themselves out the airlock and that they were announcing new safety briefings...I saw Marco. He looked...not guilty, really. More, well, nervous? Pensive? I'm not sure what the word is. But he looked at me, and he didn't look happy. I thought my powers were supposed to make people happy? What's wrong with them? Are they glitching out? And what would he be doing that would make someone spacing themselves easier? Maybe he was bullying him?

I think it's getting to my father too. He mentioned to me that our ship had an awful lot of "mishaps" lately. And that wasn't him trying to be nice about it--there's a bunch of ways to rate a "mishap" based on credits, time to fix, injuries/deaths, that sort of thing--and the Lancelot has been noted to have a bunch of injury/death related issues lately. He says that Starfleet is sending some sort of Formal Inspection Team at maximum warp to meet us at the next dock. The last time he saw one of those, half of the bridge officers were relieved of command, and while he's been very clear that he doesn't want me to do anything about them right now, he's worried. Most of the teachers and officers on board are. They want to make sure things are shipshape when they arrive. Maybe that's why I'm working on these replicators on the early shift...

...I wonder how they would react if they knew about the party later on this stardate? Maybe they'd develop spontaneous health problems. That wouldn't make them happy. But I've seen several people on the engineering deck come over and ask if I was going, and they all said something like "Oh, you should! It'll be great! They'll have some music and some fancy art and I think somebody has something something and I'd be really happy to see you there." And the moment they said that, of course, I could feel myself block out time in my head to attend. It's only for a little while, I keep telling myself. The electro-circuits and non-explosive standards project can wait.

Come to think of it, this diagnostic is pretty automated. It can wait too. And there seems to be a...tension on the deck. I put the tricorder down and step out into the main hall for a breather. Directly across the hall is something really...oh, wait, that's the exchange student. Mushrooms have feelings too, Gene, make her happy!

"Oh, hey, Psilae," I say with a friendly wave. "Uh...have you heard about the party later today?" Don't mention the inspections, that will just make her nervous...

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Toot Toot I'm A Boot


Jane Theodora Kirk
Hot 2, Cold -1, Volatile -1, Dark 1. Harm 0/4 XP 1/5. Conditions:

I nearly shout 'YES' but I remember that I'm right next to him and people are watching just in time. Instead I sort of stammer and babble a bit before nodding.

"I'd love to, yeah. Did you want to meet there, or get some dinner first, or"

Oh my God girl, get a grip! It's just a date to a party. You're not a little girl going to junior prom here. And Marco isn't some spotty kid who smells like cologne either. He actually smells kinda nice, like he's been working out or dancing recently, with a little bit of - are you sniffing him now? You complete idiot.

"Ahem. So, uh...yeah. Let me know when you finish and we can meet up or something, OK?"

I get saved from my torment by the 'ding' as the replicator finishes mangling my order. I was after kale juice and and an omelet, it's given me some kind of egg milkshake and a muffin. I couldn't be bothered correcting the order, so I just take the order and look for somewhere to sit with it.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

M. S. Blaine

Kirk had it right, 'Love's a racket.' I see she's the brains of the operation, and not someone I want to get too close to or on the wrong side of if I value my privacy. What little I already have, anyway. I sidestep around them before the Narrator starts describing the angles of a love triangle or some other nonsense. As far as I was concerned, those two 'cuties were all right. They didn't need anyone obtuse like me making things get all bent out of shape. No, I was destined for bigger and better things... like trying to convince Gene and Psilae to help out. I'll make my pitch in the order I find them in, but at this point I'd really prefer just to recruit the Sillies and have my six witnesses all at once. Fewer moving parts that way, and their leader is used to getting attention. Seems to crave it, even.

Ugh, but Computer could also exploit that too. West's blowing up at the bastard would just put it in evasion mode. That'd be a setback. But if it found someone who actually enjoyed being catcalled, the very thought of which makes my skin crawl, it would be outright counterproductive. I'd have made two steps forward and four back. So maybe I'd have to work a little harder on her. It's still worth it: better to be a little deeper in debt to one person than to have a bunch all spread around. Before I see her at lunch I ask around about her on anonymous chats, pay close attention to what the Narrator has to say, and plan my pitch accordingly.

Gaze about Princess Toadstool: 2d6+1 11
the visions are lucid and detailed; the visions show you what you must do, and you carry 1 forward to doing it.
Hot 0 Cold -1 Volatile 1 Dark 1 Harm: /4 XP: 2/5 Conditions:

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e


Psilae, the Queen
Hot 2, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark -1.
Harm 0/4 | XP 0/5 | Conditions:

quote:

Psilae, first off, what do you eat, anyway? Which of your fellow cadets in engineering has seemed worked up for their whole shift? What do you think the problem is?
Which member of your gang won't be able to make it to the party because of a late shift? They've asked you to try and help find someone willing to cover for them. Who are you thinking of asking?
Why do you want to go to the party?

Um, I eat food, duh.

I mean, I don't need to? Our bodies are self-sustaining for 200 years or so and then we just sort of...put down roots, so I won't starve or anything, so food is more like...a hobby for us. LIke playing card games!

Ally seemed really preoccupied with something! ...aah, we don't see each other that much, because I think she works in a different part of Engineering, but....we passed each other in the hall, and after one look I knew something serious was up. She looked stressed, but she doesn't look like...worrying about the party stressed, she looked serious! Maybe she got in trouble with one of our superiors? Or...

Oh, right, speaking of the party! Gwen was really excited for it and may have glowered at some boy 'til he agreed to be her date, but then she was assigned to work tonight, so...I don't know if I can actually help, but I'm going to try! When I get a chance, I'm going to ask Roger Chapel to cover for her. (He seems pretty laid-back, right? Like, reeeeeeally laid-back. Maybe too laid-back. But it's worth a try, right?)

Why do I want to go to the party? Because it'll be fun, silly! Aaaand I've never actually been to a party. Maybe I could make some friends there, too! Because, ah...

I've heard some people have been, um...asking. About me, about *us*, about...participating about being friends, but there's something about the way they ask that seems so weird, like they're saying one thing and meaning another, and this one girl from Medical just won't leave Ellie alone about it....

I'm lost in fretting over that when Gene jars me out of it. "Aah! ...oh, hello, Gene, um...of course I've heard about the party! I was thinking about going, but...." Aaaah, I'm no good at this...what do the humans call it? Poker face, right... so I can't help frowning a little. "One of my friends is -- you know Gwen, right? -- I really hope she can come." Frownfrownfretfrown. "She really wanted to go, but then--aah, I'm sorry! You probably don't want to hear me go on about these things...I guess I'm just a little preoccupied." C'mon, Psilae, humans aren't *that* open all the time, he'll think you're weird...

She smiles, a little nervous, emoting 'awkward' as well as a mushroom-lady can. "How are you? Are you going to the party?"

Ningyou fucked around with this message at Jan 26, 2015 around 07:10

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.


Angela West, The Were-Alien
Hot 1 | Cold -1 | Volatile 2 | Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions: None

Morning shift is almost over, but as part of Security I'm doing my duty and 'patrolling' around the ship. Which in this case means wandering kind of aimlessly around while trying not to get too far away from the canteen because it's almost time for lunch. Whatever. Aimless wandering is paying off today though, as I turn a corner to see Ally tapping away at her handheld.

"Ally! Just the girl I wanted to see." I close the gap between us and put my arm around her shoulder and give her a tight squeeze. "You going to the party tonight?" Arm still across her back and hand gripping her shoulder firmly, I start to steer her down a hall heading vaguely in the direction of the canteen, but taking a side route to avoid anyone else who might be heading there a few minutes early. "Great, great. You know, you're pretty smart, you don't think you could do me a favor and set it so all the replicators will make decaff instead of regular coffee on monday morning?"

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh


Ally Jay
Hot -1 | Cold 1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 2 | Harm 0/4 | XP 0/5

weird huh, bet someone replicated up a stuffed seal and spaced it as a joke, lol!

No! That sounds dumb, and what if it sounds too much like me? I'm terrible at not sounding like me, people might get suspicious, no, this is all wro- agh! I nearly bowl someone over running into them around a corner, but luckily it seems like they saw me coming since we didn't end up on the floor. They're also... Really soft, and cozy and- "Oh, oh no, er, um, s-sorry! Hi, uh, Angela..." Ngh she's still wearing my jacket no no no.

I'm not entirely sure how it happened, but I find myself just sweeped up by her and being dragged along all of a sudden, but I don't think she's mad about anything. "Huh? Uh, party, yeah, deff... o?" That's a word people say, right? Oh, please let that be a word people say. "I dunno that I'm all that smart, but, huh? I guess I could do a favor... Decaf? All of the replicators... I mean that's a lot of replicators but I guess it's only Thursday so that's like the whole weekend but then there's all that homework... that I already did so I guess no that's not really important, but then... no there's not classes on the weekend... um."

Oh no, flailing, words, what am I even supposed to say, force programming the replicators is kind of against the rules in some way I think, but she doesn't seem like she's doing anything bad, what if this like one of those initiatives, like, for health and stuff? Maybe? Yeah, that's it!

"Sssure, yeah, absolutely. Monday, weird coffee, get people healthy, I guess I'll just put some aside the night before... H-Hey it sure is pretty hot in here huh? Uh, bet they messed up the envirosystem again." I think this is lying, but also they probably did actually mess it up again... I start using the hand Angela doesn't have kind of sort of pinned to my back to tug at my uniform's collar, that's kind of like a way to show you're hot, I think? Really hope I'm doing it right. "Probably, uh, shouldn't wear that jacket, huh? Or you'd get all gross and sweaty and then you'd have to wash it and what if it gets damaged because none of the nanocleaners work right and that just sounds like a whole weird mess huh?"

...Was that too direct? N-no, of course not, that just came off as, uh, concern for a friend? Yes?


Let's see how bad I mess this up. First off, I'm gonna spend one of my strings on Angela to inflict the condition sweaty for wearing my jacket around in a probably slightly above room temperature environment. Then I'm gonna roll +Hot (2d6-1 5) for Turn Them On with my doofy shirt tug and totally gently caress it up. I guess I could use the condition I just applied to up my roll, but that's still a miss so I guess it doesn't matter!

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.


Angela West, The Were-Alien
Hot 1 | Cold -1 | Volatile 2 | Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions: Sweaty

I continue to guide Ally along the hall while she seems to talk it out to herself, then give her another brief squeeze when she agrees. "Great! I knew I could count on you." When she mentions the jacket though, I glance down at it, I'd kind of forgotten I was wearing it. "Oh, yeah, I guess. It is pretty hot." Now that she's said something though, I do feel a bit sweaty and a bit more uncomfortable than I was before hand. "Still, nothing wrong with a bit of sweat, right? You really know that you're alive when you're sweating."

"Besides, a bit of a sweaty smell is attractive, don't you think?" I give her a playful wink and take my arm off her shoulder. "Guess I'll take it off though, don't want to make the smell too strong. A stench is sort of the opposite." Walking alongside her, I pull one arm then the other out of the sleeves and tug it up over my head, accidentally causing my shirt to ride up along with it, exposing a bit of skin to her before it falls back down. I tuck it under my other arm, and flash Ally a smile.

Turning on Ally, [02:05] godfish !r 2d6+1, [02:05] Krysmbot godfish, 9+1 = 10

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

Marco
XP: 0/5, Harm: 0/4
Hot +1, Cold -1, Volatile 2, Dark -1

"I'm done now," I say, tagging along with Jane. When she eventually finds somewhere to sit, I take a seat across from her, giving her the best charming look I can.

"That egg smoothie thing looks delicious. In that 'I never ordered this and it doesn't even make logical sense' kinda way. So how's your shift been?"

Woops, didn't catch that you were MIA thatbastardken. I'll move things along next post if anyone else interacts or the MC prompts us.

Tempus Rimeblood fucked around with this message at Jan 26, 2015 around 20:52

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!



Blaine, you get a few of the common rumors. They're all swinging with each other. The alien is using mind control to keep them all in line. They're swinging with each other at the same time.

Something that you haven't heard before, though, is that, even though Ellie is the big and tough one, the shroom is the one who always looks out for them, making sure they get what they need and nothing bad happens to them. Huh. That's interesting. So, if you phrase your offer like its in her friend's best interest, she'll probably jump on it without even wanting anything in exchange. What do you do?

Marco, Jane looks down at her food and mumbles something like "Shift was ok." Then, she slaps her forehead and groans. She says, "Sorry, just remembered that I, uh, gotta finish something for my project. I'll catch up with you later, ok?" Her cheeks are flushed as she carries off her "meal."

Well, huh.

That's when one of your friends spots you and joins you for lunch. Who is it and what do they want your help with?

Ally, you're still fumbling with what to say to Angela when your comm badge beeps. Lieutenant Commander Sekek is requesting your presence immediately.

His office is adjacent to his quarters, and while his quarters are larger than yours, they'd still be cramped for a normal human. If Sekek minds, he doesn't show it. What's something unusual you notice in his office?

He gets right to the point. His face an unreadable mask, he starts, "This conversation is strictly confidential. You will be disciplined if you release this information, understood?" After you acknowledge, he sighs. From the rumors, this might be the largest display of emotion he's shown in front of a student. He continues, "The Lancelot is under investigation for not properly preparing the cadets. Giving you too much slack, not enough discipline. I'm trusting you with this information due to your sterling record, aside from a few comments about being out of uniform that even I find, to use the common turn of phrase, 'hardassed.'" Now, I want to make myself clear. I know that you and your peers in engineering allow small amounts of ship power to be diverted during the night for personal use. On a service ship, this kind of behavior would, at worst, earn you a lecture and slap on the wrist. However, we are supposed to be teaching you best practices. It will stop. Immediately. Do you understand?" What do you do?

Angela, after Ally runs off, Victor turns around the corner carrying a tray and his tablet. He looks up to make sure he isn't going to run into anyone, but his face brightens when he sees you. He says, "Hey, been looking for you, actually. Wondering if you got any plans this evening. If not, I was considering going to the party. Figure I'd see what I was missing. And I figured that you might find this once-in-a-lifetime occurrence interesting." He gives you a self-depreciating grin. What do you do?

Jane, you know you gotta get this work done, or you're going to be stuck with the poo poo assignments for a long time. You don't have enough time to sit down chatting up (supercute and dreamy) boys. So, time to find someone to do it. It's gotta be one of the engineering or science nerds. Who's it gonna be? What do you do?

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at Jan 27, 2015 around 02:06

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!


Gene Solomon
Hot 1, Cold -1, Volatile -1, Dark +2, Resentment 0/3
0/4 Harm | 0/5 XP | Conditions: None


Uh oh. She sounds...worried. Can she not come to the party? "Oh, oh...uh...I guess you could say I was planning on going to the party, but, uh, no, no, go right ahead. Keep talking. I'm interested." I lean in a little bit closer. I'm...not entirely certain how to read the face of a mushroom princess, but some things are universal, right? And I can't help but feel that she's...really nervous. But not about herself? "So you said Gwen wanted to come but couldn't come? What's holding her up?" I smile, hold my hands open and apart, look as generous and helpful as I can. Psilae is nice; she deserves all the help I can give. There's a small part of me that wants her to say the words...just ask, Psilae, I can help you, whatever you need...

I dunno, could being really helpful and offering and stuff be interpreted as Turning Psilae On?
[17:57:32] <Davin_Valkri> !r 2d6+1
[17:57:33] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, 9+1 = 10

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at Jan 27, 2015 around 02:09

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh


Ally Jay
Hot -1 | Cold 1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 2 | Harm 0/4 | XP 1/5

Oh no oh no, no no no what'd I do did I screw up again what if I left the gravity off in Mister Sekek's office, what if I accidentally locked him in his office last night? What if I BOTH oh no I'm so dead what's he saying what'd I do what what wh-

Oh. Wait, just general power overwatch? I... Nooo, that's silly. I even prepared for exactly this, but I thought it'd be because someone caught me turning off unused critical operations on the ship, not, uh, powering parties.

"Mist-, uh, Commander Sekek, uh, well, I think... Do you mind if I just show you on my handheld I think I have it around here, yes there it is, is it alright if I just set this here?" I set my handheld, screen up, on Mister Sekek's desk, just kind of nudging a weird looking grassy rock that I think should probably be in the science rooms, because I'm pretty sure I saw it locked up there on the cameras one time but I bet Mister Sekek knows what he's doing so that's totally not important, yeah.

I turn on the hologram function on a little spreadsheet I made so that it's easier to see and point at. "Um, so, the Lancelot's, that's this bar down here, it's projected to power a warp turn, which is the standard measurement for power saving on a ship and what am I saying you totally already know that, uh, well that bar represents the Lancelot. This bar in the middle that's a bit smaller is the projection for the class of ship the Lancelot's under, at least according to what I could find on the knowledge base and math out myself from base specifications... Um, well the Lancelot's a bit worse because most of the automatics don't work right on the ship, like that ghost door in the canteen that just kinda opens whenever, ah, so it's behind the standard but that's the expectation I was given when I started working on the ship."

I slide my finger down to the bottom of the graph and tap on the third bar. "And, um, this one that's really really close to under half as big as the Lancelot's, I'm so close, um, that's what the Lancelot's actually performing at. I was supposed to have the next warp turn charged on the last Friday of this month and, um, well, it finished last Wednesday. And that's the last turn we have capacity to charge so now I get to start powering the actual reserves, it's kind of exciting because I've never gotten to charge the reserves I wonder how long it'll take and, uh, well right, so... So that's me working six nights a week, and I make sure the person who takes the night I'm not working knows all the stuff they have to do so they can't really mess it up unless they really try but man they really try sometimes and, hah, um..."

The graph's getting a little blurry, or, I guess the whole room oh no Ally don't start crying in front of the adults again they hate it when you do that! "M... Mister Sekek I've been doing real good and nobody's really said much but I thought it's because they just knew I did a real good job and I like doing my job a lot and Mister Sekek I'm not really in tr-*sniff-trububble am I-hiiiiii..."

...I just wanna curl up in my skin and flop around but Angela still has it...


Rolling +Hot (2d6-1 5) for a Manipulate an NPC roll. Ally's totally sincere, she's just garbage trash when it comes to rolling dice! Angela's task might count towards this for a +1, but unless I can somehow get another it's still a miss anyways.

sentrygun fucked around with this message at Jan 27, 2015 around 02:44

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!



Ally, as you start to break down, he looks at the wall next to you. He's uncomfortable having a cadet bawling in his office like this. Still staring at the wall to your left, he says, "I'm... sure you're doing your job well. I've heard nothing but good things about you, Cadet Jay. It might be some of your peers who are rerouting the power. I'll continue investigating before the committee arrives." He glances at the rock, and mutters, "Sometimes I just wish that..." He stops himself abruptly, and his eyes dart around the room, searching for something that he is relieved to not find present. You recognize where else you've seen the rock now. Gene has been playing absentmindedly with one very similar to it.

Clearing his throat, he stands while saying, "Anyway, I hope I have made myself clear. Simply avoid using ship power for private projects, keep your work up the exemplary standard you've set for yourself, and you won't have anything to be concerned with from the inspection." He dismisses you, and you still have a little time before your class. What do you do?

Gene, what is the rock, anyway?

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at Jan 27, 2015 around 19:24

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh


Ally Jay
Hot -1 | Cold 1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 2 | Harm 0/4 | XP 2/5

Bweh, get it together Ally, c'mon. "Y-y-yes, Mist- uh, Commander Sekek, uh huh. I'll *sniff* do my best and make sure we got some reserves and maybe they'll be real impressed... I hope..."

I try not to slump out of Mister Sekek's office, but I just feel all awful now. How am I supposed to make sure people aren't mad at me, but also make sure, um, other people aren't mad at me? And I already told Aimee what to do today and she'll get all mad if I go back and start telling her what to do...

I just kind of flop my face against the nearest window and start looking out at the stars. Still in the same cove, haven't been moving a whole lot this week. Wonder if that's due to that inspection Mister Sekek mentioned, making us stay put for now. If we're not using the engines I can definitely get a whole lot more power stored, but... I guess this is more important than just what I'm already doing, huh? I start running my finger along the window pane, drawing a fishing vessel atop a cluster of stars. They're odd, simple ships that people apparently used on planets to sail on the waters. I like how quaint they look, serene and relaxing. If I stand up on the tips of my toes, it looks like the stars are inside it now.

...I'm procrastinating. Oh... What do I do, stars?


Rolling +Dark (2d6+2 10) to stare at the sea of stars and think about how to save the party without ending up in super deep poo poo. Going with 'the visions show you what you must do, carry 1 forward to do it' as well as the visions being lucid and detailed.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e


Psilae, the Queen
Hot 2, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark -1.
Harm 0/4 | XP 0/5 | Conditions:

Oh! Oh, oh gosh, something about that smile just....I almost ask him if he's going *with* someone but then my voice catches and...

Bet you didn't think mushroomppl could blush, did you? WELL SURPRISE THEY'RE JUST LIKE HUMANS except for the mind control spores and the sprouting roots and th--okay it's more like a spreading pinkness than a People Blush but STILL

"Oh, a-aah, well..." Fidget, fidgetohgoshthere'saBOYandhe'stalkingtoherandsmilingandbeingreallyniceandsureGeneis*always*nicebutTHISISDIFFERENTOKAY

"O-oh! Right! Gwen, ehe....w-well. I don't know what happened, but her schedule changed suddenly, so she has to work during the party..."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!


Gene Solomon
Hot 1, Cold -1, Volatile -1, Dark +2, Resentment 0/3
0/4 Harm | 0/5 XP | Conditions: None


Psilae is so nice. Really, the entire Engineering deck is...well, none of us are really on any sort of fast track to command like the bridge cadets in Operations or even Security, and if we start squabbling too much the ship falls apart. Then again, given the mishap rate, maybe we aren't doing that well after all. Psilae looks cute when she literally turns pink, though Oh right, focus, Gene!

"Aw, that's no good." I pout in sympathy. "Uh, do you know why her schedule changed? Want to go talk to her?"

If I can get Gwen's schedule unchanged, she can go to the party, which will make her happy, which will make Psilae happy. That's good. I wonder what's holding her up?

Just realized that I never answered the question! Let's say that the rock is a particular ore of a mineral that's used a lot in nanotechnology experiments. They can grow pure crystals in labs to test self-regeneration protocols...or be used in the ore form to smuggle them around...

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at Jan 28, 2015 around 15:32

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

Marco
Hot 1, Cold -1, Volatile 2, Dark -1
Harm: 0/4, XP: 0/5

Jane takes off (and rather coldly, at that,) and I'm left with a cup of coffee and no company. Until, of course, someone plops down in the seat across from me.

Thomas Krakowicz. Big guy. None too bright, either. But nicest guy you'll meet in Security. Some days, I think the only reason he even got put in this program was his size.

"Hey, Marco," he says sheepishly. "I saw you at the replicator earlier with Marcia, and I was just..." he trails off.

"Just what, Tom?" I get a funny feeling I know where this is going. But I'll let him finish.

"I was wondering if you two were, like...a thing."

"Not in the slightest, man. Nice, but not my type. Why the investigation, buddy?"

He looks a little brightened up now. Hopefully this next bit isn't gonna be too-

"I was wondering if maybe you could see if she'd like to go to the party with me."

Oh God drat it.

"Well, Tom, want to take a little walk, track her down, and we'll find out?"

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!



Ally, you stare at the stars for a long moment. They're giant fusion reactions. If only you could hook up the holodeck into them, everyone would be happy. No power would go missing tonight, and everyone would get to go to the party! Too bad you can't do that... But... can't you? There's got to be some portable generators on the ship. The holodeck only needs to be on for a few hours anyway...

You'd seen Gene hand one of them off to someone down in engineering. In fact, Gene's got a reputation as someone who can get you what you need, right? Maybe he could find something like that for you. He's probably down in engineering right now! What do you do?

Gene and Psilae, Gwen walks up to the both of you. She says, "I kept hearing my name while you two were chatting over here. What are you two talkin' about?" She comes to stand slightly between the two of you, right next to Psilae. What do you do?

Marco and Marcia, you and Thomas catch up with Marcia easily enough. She's just flipping through some of the anonymous chats on her tablet. What do you do?

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

M. S. Blaine
Hm, I have to make it about protecting her "friends." Well I sure as hell don't feel safe around Computer, maybe I can sell my own fear and tell her how it's only a matter of time before they starts putting other people through what I'm going through. I'll finger Marco as the latest victim, I'm sure he won't mind and will back me up. All right then, Blaine, let's do this thing. As part of my screwing my courage to the sticking place, I turn off my datapad, but before I can spin it around and holster it in my flourishy way I can see the reflection of two huge unidentified boys right behind me in it. Oh poo poo. I can feel my hair standing on end. I do not want them to catch me.

I don't turn around, I don't ask what they want, I just run and hide.

Super Run Away: 2d6+1 5
Hot 0 Cold -1 Volatile 1 Dark 1 Harm: /4 XP: 3/5 Conditions:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh


Ally Jay
Hot -1 | Cold 1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 2 | Harm 0/4 | XP 2/5

That's it! Yeah, a portable generator wouldn't show on the records and I could recharge it at a different time so it wouldn't look suspicious, and I'm sure Gene wouldn't mind the one little favor. And after that, all I'll have left is to ask Gene about the replica- oh. Shoot. I, uh, I can't just ask him for all that stuff, he'd probably get suspicious and he seems to talk with Mister Sekek a lot and what if Mister Sekek finds out and then I'd actually be in trouble for powering the party and oh no I can't do that... But, maybe someone else could? Someone they wouldn't suspect asking for a portable generator...


Yep, still in the canteen. But, ah, she's with somebody and it'd be pretty rude to just butt in but also this is really important isn't it? I mean, she seemed pretty excited for the party and she'd probably be willing to help just a little bit oh man it's gonna be weird asking her to do something when she's been asking me to do stuff but I guess it's kind of for her and "Um, hey, hi again Angela."

Keep it cool, play it calm and maybe she won't get too suspicious. "Ah, there was something I forgot to ask you, by the way, before I got paged away, um, do you mind if I just talk with you for just a little moment, eh, not in the middle of the canteen? Real quick and stuff, promise." Haah, all this nervousness and I'm starting to sound like how I hear some of the other cadets talk. I sure hope she doesn't catch on to how worried I actually am. This should truly just be something simple, right?

  • Locked thread
«2 »