Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Capfalcon posted:

With all that's going on, the ship's rumor mill has been working at double-time. Everyone, what's a rumor that you heard but think is clearly ridiculous?

Gene, how did you find out about the results of Marco's wish? What do you think about Marco now?
What's been really bothering your dad recently? Why do you feel like you have to go to the party tonight?

Gene Solomon
Hot 1, Cold -1, Volatile -1, Dark +2
0/4 Harm | 0/5 XP | Conditions: None

There always seems to be something wrong with the replicators. And maybe only half of the time Is it some minor repair like "I asked for Romulan Coffee, fresh, hot, but it gave me Coffee, fresh, lukewarm". Sometimes I've heard "I asked for Coffee, fresh, hot, and it gave me a dead Nematodan dirtworm." It's strange--I've checked the programming and ripped out the organic stock filters several times. And no matter how many times the replicators come back for overhauls, the problem persists. If anything, the problem seems to have gotten more prevalent since we've set off. I've heard people talk about how someone is deliberately messing with the replicators to throw off tonight's gathering, about how someone wants to make the ship turn around and go back to a Starfleet station for a further workover. Even suggestions of sabotage, like supply attacks of old.

I'm...trying not to think about that too much, as I run another diagnostic. Honestly there's a few things on my mind that aren't the replicators. First one is Marco. He'd asked me one day to make his life "easier". And I tried to do just that. I wasn't quite sure what was going to happen--I thought he was going to get transferred to an easier class or maybe have a massive cake show in his room. Or just have the computer glitch to make all his grades go well. But when the flag officers gathered everyone in the briefing room and announced that someone had blown themselves out the airlock and that they were announcing new safety briefings...I saw Marco. He looked...not guilty, really. More, well, nervous? Pensive? I'm not sure what the word is. But he looked at me, and he didn't look happy. I thought my powers were supposed to make people happy? What's wrong with them? Are they glitching out? And what would he be doing that would make someone spacing themselves easier? Maybe he was bullying him?

I think it's getting to my father too. He mentioned to me that our ship had an awful lot of "mishaps" lately. And that wasn't him trying to be nice about it--there's a bunch of ways to rate a "mishap" based on credits, time to fix, injuries/deaths, that sort of thing--and the Lancelot has been noted to have a bunch of injury/death related issues lately. He says that Starfleet is sending some sort of Formal Inspection Team at maximum warp to meet us at the next dock. The last time he saw one of those, half of the bridge officers were relieved of command, and while he's been very clear that he doesn't want me to do anything about them right now, he's worried. Most of the teachers and officers on board are. They want to make sure things are shipshape when they arrive. Maybe that's why I'm working on these replicators on the early shift...

...I wonder how they would react if they knew about the party later on this stardate? Maybe they'd develop spontaneous health problems. That wouldn't make them happy. But I've seen several people on the engineering deck come over and ask if I was going, and they all said something like "Oh, you should! It'll be great! They'll have some music and some fancy art and I think somebody has something something and I'd be really happy to see you there." And the moment they said that, of course, I could feel myself block out time in my head to attend. It's only for a little while, I keep telling myself. The electro-circuits and non-explosive standards project can wait.

Come to think of it, this diagnostic is pretty automated. It can wait too. And there seems to be a...tension on the deck. I put the tricorder down and step out into the main hall for a breather. Directly across the hall is something really...oh, wait, that's the exchange student. Mushrooms have feelings too, Gene, make her happy!

"Oh, hey, Psilae," I say with a friendly wave. "Uh...have you heard about the party later today?" Don't mention the inspections, that will just make her nervous...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Gene Solomon
Hot 1, Cold -1, Volatile -1, Dark +2, Resentment 0/3

Uh oh. She sounds...worried. Can she not come to the party? "Oh, oh...uh...I guess you could say I was planning on going to the party, but, uh, no, no, go right ahead. Keep talking. I'm interested." I lean in a little bit closer. I'm...not entirely certain how to read the face of a mushroom princess, but some things are universal, right? And I can't help but feel that she's...really nervous. But not about herself? "So you said Gwen wanted to come but couldn't come? What's holding her up?" I smile, hold my hands open and apart, look as generous and helpful as I can. Psilae is nice; she deserves all the help I can give. There's a small part of me that wants her to say the words...just ask, Psilae, I can help you, whatever you need...

I dunno, could being really helpful and offering and stuff be interpreted as Turning Psilae On?
[17:57:32] <Davin_Valkri> !r 2d6+1
[17:57:33] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, 9+1 = 10

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 27, 2015

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Gene Solomon

Psilae is so nice. Really, the entire Engineering deck is...well, none of us are really on any sort of fast track to command like the bridge cadets in Operations or even Security, and if we start squabbling too much the ship falls apart. Then again, given the mishap rate, maybe we aren't doing that well after all. Psilae looks cute when she literally turns pink, though :) Oh right, focus, Gene!

"Aw, that's no good." I pout in sympathy. "Uh, do you know why her schedule changed? Want to go talk to her?"

If I can get Gwen's schedule unchanged, she can go to the party, which will make her happy, which will make Psilae happy. That's good. I wonder what's holding her up?

Just realized that I never answered the question! Let's say that the rock is a particular ore of a mineral that's used a lot in nanotechnology experiments. They can grow pure crystals in labs to test self-regeneration protocols...or be used in the ore form to smuggle them around...

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 28, 2015

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Gene Solomon

All I can think of doing is smiling and staring when Gwen comes up. I wasn't expecting her in the slightest! It's only when Psilae turns her eyes to me--I think she's trying to say "do something!"--that I snap out of the reverie and do something.

"Oh, yeah. Uh, well, we were talking about class, and one thing led to the next, and Psilae was telling me about the party...and how you wanted to come...and you couldn't come..." Aaah, stop rambling and get to the point, Gene! "...because of some kind of schedule change? Do you know what happened there?"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Gene Solomon
0/4 Harm | 0+1/5 XP | Conditions: None

Goome, Goome...oh, I remember him. A week ago I saw him running in the halls crying about how his would-be date was a two timing...I'm not finishing that phrase. He practically ran into me, still blubbering into my chest, and said that all he wanted to do was forget that the "two-timing" had ever happened. So I sat him down with a replicated chocolate cake and...obliged him. When I was done, he didn't even remember ever organizing a date, or why he was eating a cake at the same table as me. He say he was done, got up, and went back to his room. Didn't even say thanks for the cake. Maybe I could have fulfilled his wishes more...tactfully.

But it's pretty obvious now. This is at least partially my fault for interfering with Goome's memory of missing his date. I need to set things right. And that means helping Gwen with her problem, right now.

"Oh, I...understand," I say out loud as I start tapping at my tricorder, seemingly absentmindedly. "I understand why this must be so painful to you." I've called up Goome's and Gwen's schedules on the tricorder. It's showing that Goome officially has "rack time" and Gwen is on station later this stardate. "Let's hope he can be less of an rear end, too." Could it be so easy as having the shifts switch? Only one way to find out. I reach out with my mind. So let it be done.

Time to tap into Friend Like Me for the firs time!
[22:22:27] <Davin_Valkri> !r 2d6+2
[22:22:28] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, 3+2 = 5
Nooo, don't fail now, Gene!

Nothing's changed. Why has nothing changed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Gene Solomon
0/4 Harm | 0+1/5 XP | Conditions: None

"Found it? I--" And then she takes it right out of my hands. Can she do that? Can she...can she do that?!

"Alfred?! He...Psilae...can she do that?! Hey, wait! Uh...wait!"

I reach out and grab her wrist to try to correct the misunderstanding. I do get fingers around it, but...oh dear. I think I've seen something like this one someone left the holodeck on. I mean, I don't want to get on my knees and beg for my controller back, but...I'm not a very proud person, really. I look up and lock eyes with her...

I need strings on someone, anyone, so turn her on!
[20:57:22] <Davin_Valkri> !r 2d6+1
[20:57:23] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, 12+1 = 13
Well...!

• Locked thread