Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Gutcruncher posted:

Remember when Unreal Tournament 3 had a story mode? HAHAHAHA

Stupidest poo poo ever. MOBILE RESPAWN SIM UNITS THAT EVEN ALIENS LIKE TO USE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Pawn 17 posted:

Yeah it's weird that they kinna died with Quake 3 so long ago.

I guess most players these days enjoy being able to rack up kills on anyone without having to have much skill or practice in modern shooters. Back in the deathmatch days, if you were a newbie, it DID suck rear end to log in to a server and get completely owned non stop for hours while trying to learn the game.

My first real online gaming experience in Quake 2 went something like this when I finally joined and loaded the server map:

Spawn to see a guy with the human male model somehow blended with the strogg infantry skin jumping towards me with a rocket launcher, then freezing in mid air. The ominous brown "unplugged" connection problem symbol taking up the top corner of my screen. I sit there staring at it for like 5 minutes waiting for it to get going while Cow & Chicken is playing on the living room TV behind me. Every minute or so the game twitches with a quip blip of noise then freezes again.

Ahhh, dial up with AOL on Mplayer and Heat.net :allears:

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

BKPR posted:

i have been playing duke nukem all week, and guys: old FPS maps were kind of loving stupid.

Throwing pipe bombs into an elevator to surprise the assholes on the next floor was always fun :colbert:

Plus I always loved all that cheesy interaction poo poo you could do with the environment. And Return to Castle Wolfenstein does still rock, but gently caress that "fat wall edge" issue when sniping.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

TEAYCHES posted:

ive never understood the appeal of stuff like hardcore mode, permadeath, etc. like i have never played singleplayer videogames to prove something to myself or showcase my Skill

Especially if there is no reward.

• Locked thread