Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

spud posted:

I actually miss the SNES/Neo Geo era, where games were more linear, but 2d and finely honed. All this open-world, sandbox is just tiring.

Yep, this is me and why I don't really play games any more. Obviously not having the same free time from when you were a kid contributes a lot, but I only like Zelda games like the SNES one where you can only go in like 4 different directions.

I never even liked Toshinden back in the day because I liked fighting games on a 2d plane. Now I gotta learn all this other poo poo on top of moving around in 3d.

I really liked Max Payne but I tried to get into part 3 but holy poo poo I cannot learn the controls. How am I supposed to remember to hold LT while pushing in the 3d pad and pressing RF to shoot my gun while ducking? I still get hosed up with where the buttons are on the controller because I'm so used to the left button being cancel and the right button being "confirm" from the SNES days. Supposedly in Japan it is still that way and their PlayStation controller buttons are even physically swapped.

To be honest though, no longer enjoying video games is a positive thing so I don't fight it too much. The only thing I play these days is Smash Bros WiiU but even then I'm still using a controller from 2001 to play it and I only play with friends over because I never understood the appeal of playing games online. :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Infidel Castro posted:

Mega Man IV was also one of the weaker Mega Man games on the NES. II and III were top notch though.

Are they the same Nintendo that has been milking the poo poo out of the same 4 franchises for the last 30 years? Because that's the only one I know.

Super Mario 3d world plays nothing like super Mario WiiU

Cmon son do you think Mario RPG was a rehash of Mario Paint?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Hexel posted:

Castlevania got it right.

Yet another series that translated terribly in 3-D

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The Whole Internet posted:

That looks like crap.

Ultra-hard retro platformers are all the rage these days but some of them are just loving lazy. VVVVVV, super meat boy, IWTBTG, just don't seem interesting. Woo, die a hundred times until you can play a level from muscle memory and get to the next... identical level that also looks as interesting as a lazy newgrounds flash from 2005.

The retro throwback games that actually build on the best aspects of old games they draw inspiration from and add clever things to the formula are the ones worth playing. Freedom Planet, MURI, Shovel Knight, MegaMan Unlimited, etc.

NES Remix 2 is really good

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

sketch_nimrod posted:

its not that video games are getting any worse, its just that as people who play games age they turn into cliche'd crotchety old men who think it used to all be better, and can you beleieve what they play on the radio nowadays

Not really

I'd argue movies are a bit better (though I prefer puppets to CGI)

TV is way the hell better now. I cannot make it through a single 80s sitcom today no matter how much I loved them as a kid aside for some rare exceptions

Video games and music definitely got worse tho

• Locked thread