Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

So it seems Ubisoft isn't sitting on its laurels when it comes to bad PR moves as of yesterday the companies Online DRM/gaming service Uplay has begun voiding keys for Farcry 4, Watchdogs, Assassin's Creed Unity and more purchased through 3rd party companies like Kinguin, allkeyshop, and intkeys. I bought Farcry 4 on console for some reason and now I'm not regretting it as I usually buy keys from Greenmangaming for Steam and apparently Ubisoft is no longer giving a poo poo what the PC gaming market thinks of them.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1001533-Concerning-Far-Cry-4-removal-from-our-libraries-Open-letter?s=f9e296cbc8b609fd8b52bac89ab1c08c

Edit: Lets make some things clear here. As far as we know Ubisoft is only banning keys purchased from sites that have alleged and proven ties to having purchased keys by using stolen credit cards. While this is absolutely the right thing to do (ban keys purchased with stolen credit cards) taking it out on anyone who purchased from 3rd party sellers isn't the right thing to do (Though this also has not been proven just brought forth as an possible reason for the banning of keys.)

Haruharuharuko fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I forget, are sites like that still against the rules to discuss or did that ban get lifted?

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
The title escapes me, but there's a roughly familiar ring to this. Another game did the same thing, but it arose during the pre-load where a bunch of pre-ordered keys turned out to be useless because the publisher / dev had a hissy fit at a particular website just before release.

But don't Ubisoft get a cut of these sales anyway, so there's pretty much no reason for them to do this? :confused:

evilmiera posted:

I forget, are sites like that still against the rules to discuss or did that ban get lifted?
Unfortunately Ubisoft is still a legitimate company, for all their stupidity. :haw:

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

limited posted:

But don't Ubisoft get a cut of these sales anyway, so there's pretty much no reason for them to do this? :confused:

Unfortunately Ubisoft is still a legitimate company, for all their stupidity. :haw:

You are completely correct what these third party sellers do is buy copies of the game in regions where its cheaper and resell them for a profit in other regions. Like if the game is $60 in the US they buy it for $40 in Russia and sell us the key for $45. Not illegal as the publisher is getting their full cut like normal just not from the main region.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
As much as I dislike Uplay, Ubisoft are completely in their rights to kill keys bought from illegal keyshops instead of approved retailers.

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

limited posted:

The title escapes me, but there's a roughly familiar ring to this. Another game did the same thing, but it arose during the pre-load where a bunch of pre-ordered keys turned out to be useless because the publisher / dev had a hissy fit at a particular website just before release.

If I remember right, rebellion did this with sniper elite 3 because a bunch of keys were stolen.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Fredrik1 posted:

As much as I dislike Uplay, Ubisoft are completely in their rights to kill keys bought from illegal keyshops instead of approved retailers.

Going after the people who bought these keys rather than the people selling them seems really dumb. If the problem is illegal resellers, going after people who bought the game from those resellers hurts the customer (and Ubisoft's reputation) a hell of a lot more than it hurts the resellers.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
They can go for both at the same time, though? Is there any indication Ubi is going solely after the buyer?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Anyone who buys keys from shady rear end grey market resellers deserves what they get.

It wouldn't surprise me if this was related to credit card fraud or stolen keys. It seems like at least once a year these sites will SOMEHOW get ahold of stolen keys and then act like it's a complete mystery how it happened.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

poptart_fairy posted:

They can go for both at the same time, though? Is there any indication Ubi is going solely after the buyer?

If it turns out that they are going after the resellers, great. Even if it does though, Ubisoft is at a state right now where they have pretty much zero good will in the public eye, so going after customers as well still seems ill-advised.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I'm sure this will encourage people to buy their games through legitimate sites (it wont)

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

hemale in pain posted:

I'm sure this will encourage people to buy their games through legitimate sites (it wont)

Then it doesn't matter to Ubisoft since they'll apparently never pay for their games in a way that gets Ubisoft money

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'm pretty sure Ubisoft always thought their PC users were filthy pirates so this isn't anything new.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Sankis posted:

Then it doesn't matter to Ubisoft since they'll apparently never pay for their games in a way that gets Ubisoft money

They are getting money though? Unless you assume the websites are ALL using stolen credit cards

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Reads like people are unhappy they need to pay the english region price for the english region localisation of the game so they bought the games from a shady reseller. These websites have a historical reputation of selling multiple people the same key, or blocks of stolen keys that are all void when the game launches so I don't think at this point people should be given the benefit of the doubt when they are clearly acting in a way that is against the vendor's wishes and terms of sale. Either pay the price the vendor wants to bring the product to market for or don't. Nobody is forcing you to buy a game at release or not wait for a sale.

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010

Fredrik1 posted:

If I fly to Russia and buy a game there is the videogame police going to throw me in videogame jail?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
You only have yourself to blame if you bought an Ubisoft game.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Hob_Gadling posted:

You only have yourself to blame if you bought an Ubisoft game.

This, to this day I have a standing policy of never directly buying Ubisoft games.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Byolante posted:

Reads like people are unhappy they need to pay the english region price for the english region localisation of the game so they bought the games from a shady reseller. These websites have a historical reputation of selling multiple people the same key, or blocks of stolen keys that are all void when the game launches so I don't think at this point people should be given the benefit of the doubt when they are clearly acting in a way that is against the vendor's wishes and terms of sale. Either pay the price the vendor wants to bring the product to market for or don't. Nobody is forcing you to buy a game at release or not wait for a sale.

It really depends honestly. Many key sites still exist as little more then phishing sites, and some still steal from people, but others just do what Green Man Gaming does ( ie sell you games from a different territory that has different prices ), they just don't buy their games direct from the company, instead buying them in bulk from the stores.

Kinguin for example offers a money back guarantee if you don't get a code from a site they list, and has brute forced all the other major legit keysites together to eliminate the issue shadier sites had ( ie reselling the same key, theft. ). Most people rightfully assume they are legitimate. Hell, they've even started working with Twitch/youtubers to run charity events, have sales, etc. It's not exactly a shady website written in bad russian offering you super low discounts anymore. Especially since with the breaking of the ruble, most keysites offer around what legit sites do ( $40-$50 ).

Then again, this is a website that lost the ability to talk about stuff like this when goons vetted 5-10 keyshops as 100% legit, then a few goons said "WE FOUND THIS SUPER DUPER SHADY SITE THAT HAS SR3 FOR .50c ON RELEASE DAY. SHOULD WE BUY THEM?", and then when they did and had their credit cards stolen, the mods were forced to come down and shut down talking about it, because some goons are just to stupid to have common sense.

Oh, and this also affects stuff like Nuuvem/Green Man Gaming from what I've been able to dig up ( same with Sniper Elite 3 awhile back ), which makes it less "them drat russians" and more "What the hell Ubisoft.", because last I checked they do buy their keys direct from Ubisoft/are legal enterprises.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
I swear to god if I log in to uPlay and it tells me I can't play Assassin's Creed Unity I will 1) never buy another Ubi game and 2) just watch someone play it on YouTube.

Kind of irrelevant cause Unity was unplayable anyway but whatever.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Rookersh posted:

It really depends honestly. Many key sites still exist as little more then phishing sites, and some still steal from people, but others just do what Green Man Gaming does ( ie sell you games from a different territory that has different prices ), they just don't buy their games direct from the company, instead buying them in bulk from the stores.

Kinguin for example offers a money back guarantee if you don't get a code from a site they list, and has brute forced all the other major legit keysites together to eliminate the issue shadier sites had ( ie reselling the same key, theft. ). Most people rightfully assume they are legitimate. Hell, they've even started working with Twitch/youtubers to run charity events, have sales, etc. It's not exactly a shady website written in bad russian offering you super low discounts anymore. Especially since with the breaking of the ruble, most keysites offer around what legit sites do ( $40-$50 ).

Then again, this is a website that lost the ability to talk about stuff like this when goons vetted 5-10 keyshops as 100% legit, then a few goons said "WE FOUND THIS SUPER DUPER SHADY SITE THAT HAS SR3 FOR .50c ON RELEASE DAY. SHOULD WE BUY THEM?", and then when they did and had their credit cards stolen, the mods were forced to come down and shut down talking about it, because some goons are just to stupid to have common sense.

Oh, and this also affects stuff like Nuuvem/Green Man Gaming from what I've been able to dig up ( same with Sniper Elite 3 awhile back ), which makes it less "them drat russians" and more "What the hell Ubisoft.", because last I checked they do buy their keys direct from Ubisoft/are legal enterprises.

I've even heard reports that keys given by Nvidia after buying a new GPU are being removed too. I don't think it's true though, my copy of Far Cry 4 I redeemed is still in my library but there's going to be a huge shitstorm if it does end up being true.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Sankis posted:

Anyone who buys keys from shady rear end grey market resellers deserves what they get.

There's nothing shady about them. Unless your definition of "shady" is "foreign."

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I've even heard reports that keys given by Nvidia after buying a new GPU are being removed too. I don't think it's true though, my copy of Far Cry 4 I redeemed is still in my library but there's going to be a huge shitstorm if it does end up being true.

When ATI ballsed up and put up a plain text file of about 100k dirt 3 keys a lot of legit keys died in the killing off of the stolen ones. They were quickly restituted though. At the end of the day though if you are intentionally bypassing the market that ubisoft presents you with then you are probably SOL in terms of their EULA. I have a sneaky suspicion that this is getting more play than a indie dev doing the same though because big bad ubisoft have the ability to police their IP in a way most ndies don't.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
Blame Russia's economy. Everyone is taking steps to prevent this stuff now and it isn't exclusive to Ubisoft. Steam started region locking every game to prevent this for instance.

Also Russian key sites are 90% of the time stolen keys, there's a reason they're called grey markets.

VarXX fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 25, 2015

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
Here's Devolver Digital doing the same thing last year

VarXX fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 25, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

VarXX posted:

Here's Devolver Digital doing the same thing last year

Haha I bought Talos Principle from G2A and it works fine.

I think alright if they want to region lock keys. It sucks, but it's pretty common practice. But don't cancel actively working games, that only fucks over consumers. I would never buy a game from Devolver Digital again if that happened to me.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

Haha I bought Talos Principle from G2A and it works fine.

I think alright if they want to region lock keys. It sucks, but it's pretty common practice. But don't cancel actively working games, that only fucks over consumers. I would never buy a game from Devolver Digital again if that happened to me.

It's because G2A has a history of selling stolen keys alongside legitimate ones and other shady practices.

Here's why Devolver pulled them.

Also since you bought from G2A, odds are Devolver never saw your money and I don't think they'd care much.

VarXX fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 25, 2015

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

And they were on such a roll too.

Septimius
Aug 23, 2006

These sites are needed to make gaming remotely affordable in some parts of the world. If you're Polish for example and have to pay 60 Euro for a new release, that's almost 10% of the average monthly wage, plus you'll get charged extra for the currency exchange since Steam etc force you to pay in Euro.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Septimius posted:

These sites are needed to make gaming remotely affordable in some parts of the world. If you're Polish for example and have to pay 60 Euro for a new release, that's almost 10% of the average monthly wage, plus you'll get charged extra for the currency exchange since Steam etc force you to pay in Euro.

Wasn't that the whole point of Greenman Gaming, which is an actual legitimate site that doesn't get blocked and doesn't sell stolen keys?

Here's a story from a small indie dev team of 3 people when they got hosed hard by sites like G2A using stolen credit cards to buy in bulk

quote:

We deactivated these keys because they keys were purchased with credit cards where the card-holder initiated a “charge-back.” A charge-back is a consumer protection mechanism offered by payment companies such as Visa, allowing a card-holder to dispute a charge on their credit card statement. This means we never received payment for the game. In fact, we were charged a fee by the card issuer for the charge-back. For these 1,341 keys, these fees totalled around $30,000.

VarXX fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 25, 2015

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Septimius posted:

drat if video games are so expensive why would you waste it all on an Ubisoft title of all things

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Septimius posted:

Oh no, what will I do without my video games.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
does anyone actually buy ubisoft games in TYOOL 2015 tho

Septimius
Aug 23, 2006

computer parts posted:

Oh no, what will I do without my video games.

Post in every thread on SA?

I'm not Polish and have never used any of these sites, but I see the appeal of them for people who earn a lot less than the average Western European but who have to pay the same prices.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Eonwe posted:

does anyone actually buy ubisoft games in TYOOL 2015 tho
they almost got me with child of light. but that was a poor man's metroidvania

if a deal seems to be too good to be true it probably is. there's a g2a sale going on right now which fits the bill in fact https://www.g2a.com/weeklysale?adid=WS_TW_20141022&id=2&utm_source=TW&utm_medium=ADS&utm_campaign=WS_TW_20141022

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

VarXX posted:

Wasn't that the whole point of Greenman Gaming, which is an actual legitimate site that doesn't get blocked and doesn't sell stolen keys?
GreenMan Gaming still gets hit with stupid regional pricing though. Using the Hola plug-in for Chrome:

XCOM: Enemy Unknown (ANZ) $39.95
XCOM: Enemy Unknown $29.99

Grand Theft Auto V (ANZ) $74.99
Grand Theft Auto V (NA) $59.99

The higher :australia: prices are still charged in USD as well so GTA5 (ANZ) at the moment is actually 94.78 AUD.
GMG can only help so much, they're still at the whim of jerk publishers.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

More like Ubifart

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Someone must have bought/sold the keys in bulk to begin with? Shame on Ubisoft.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

McDowell posted:

Someone must have bought/sold the keys in bulk to begin with? Shame on Ubisoft.

Probably with a stolen credit card too that Ubisoft now has to foot the bill from all the chargebacks

These sites obtain these keys through a man in the middle who is selling them keys, not the publishers. The keys could be from review copies, or ripped straight out of a box and then put back on the shelf without being paid for, or bought in bulk with stolen credit cards, which then eventually get discovered as being stolen, charge backs occur, and the publisher has to pay a fine for each individual charge back.

Stop buying from grey market sites this is why discussion on them was banned here for a while.

VarXX fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Rookersh posted:

others just do what Green Man Gaming does ( ie sell you games from a different territory that has different prices )

Green Man Gaming doesn't do this at all though.

Haruharuharuko posted:

I bought Farcry 4 on console for some reason and now I'm not regretting it as I usually buy keys from Greenmangaming for Steam and apparently Ubisoft is no longer giving a poo poo what the PC gaming market thinks of them.

Green Man Gaming is not a key reseller, they are a legit online store that only sells keys for games that are provided to them by the publishers. This doesn't affect Green Man Gaming at all.

Sumac fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 25, 2015

• Locked thread