Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
What's bothering me is that, more and more, you're going to see things like Kickstarter become the preferred way to fund things. And not just videogames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

matrix ripoff posted:

What's bothering me is that, more and more, you're going to see things like Kickstarter become the preferred way to fund things. And not just videogames.

I don't know, that sounds pretty good to me. Kickstarter is a system that let's other people gamble their money for me. if the product ends up crap then they lost money and I didn't, and if end ups good then I can still buy it anyway. As a person who doesn't back poo poo I feel like I've benefited from the system.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
By focusing on crowdfunding, we're ignoring the issues that drive a developer to seek crowdfunding. Worse, we may be giving publishers the idea that they themselves no longer need to dip into their own coffers to fund games. Look at what Square Enix is doing.

Games cost too god drat much to make, and the reason they cost too god drat much is because SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE wants to buy TWO yachts this year instead of just one.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Stumpalitious posted:

I hate this company so much but I can't just not play their games, better show how much I don't like them by pirating their games instead of, you know, just not playing them.

Not like there aren't a ton of other games to play.

It's a matter of principle. If I got a car from a used car dealership only to find that the car manufacturer made the ignition unable to operate when it gets resold, I would do something similar.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

ubisoft is a bad company and although I don't pirate or buy pirated versions of their games I wish them ill in all their endeavors

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

matrix ripoff posted:

By focusing on crowdfunding, we're ignoring the issues that drive a developer to seek crowdfunding. Worse, we may be giving publishers the idea that they themselves no longer need to dip into their own coffers to fund games. Look at what Square Enix is doing.

Games cost too god drat much to make, and the reason they cost too god drat much is because SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE wants to buy TWO yachts this year instead of just one.

I hate to break it to you but adults in the real world need to be paid salaries for the work they do, and children's entertainment like bideo james and comic books doesn't fall from the sky. It's not the evil corporations or w/e that are the reason games are expensive, they're expensive because they require massive amounts of work to make

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Do video game developers use the same accountants movie studios use.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Ubisoft should fund the next Assassin's Creed game via Kickstarter.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

The Shortest Path posted:

It's a matter of principle. If I got a car from a used car dealership only to find that the car manufacturer made the ignition unable to operate when it gets resold, I would do something similar.

This has to be the worst car analogy I've seen in years.

Like this makes no sense.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Stumpalitious posted:

Like this makes no sense.

Hey look, you found my point.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

you be soft op
ahahahhahha

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
"But officer, the guy who sold it to me specifically said it wasn't stolen! I know he's been caught stealing multiple times before, but he promised this time, that means it has to be true!"

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

"But officer, the guy who sold it to me specifically said it wasn't stolen! I know he's been caught stealing multiple times before, but he promised this time, that means it has to be true!"

Why are you talking to the officer instead of a lawyer, idiot?

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
*throws self in front of Ubi Soft* I'll save you, Mr. Soft

*gets hit by bullet*

Oh god that hurt. Oh god. Well, you're going to thank me, right? Mr. Soft? I just... took a bullet for you. I mean *gestures wildly at internet* look at all these people who loving hate you for the bullshit you've been pulling all these years. Don't I deserve something? For standing up for you?

You seem to be ignoring me. Well, that's okay. God knows I'm just another consumer, unworthy of your attention. Perhaps, in another life... we could be friends? Ittakimasu *dies*

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
yo d soft

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Ubisoft is a lovely company. That has nothing to do with morons being dumb enough to buy from sellers that are known to sell stolen goods, and then cry when they get burned by it. Ubisoft being lovely doesn't make everything they do wrong, or everyone who dislikes them automatically right about everything, and this is one of the rare cases Ubisoft are in the right.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Ubisoft is a lovely company. That has nothing to do with morons being dumb enough to buy from sellers that are known to sell stolen goods, and then cry when they get burned by it. Ubisoft being lovely doesn't make everything they do wrong, or everyone who dislikes them automatically right about everything, and this is one of the rare cases Ubisoft are in the right.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Ubisoft sort of impressive to me since the managed to take a cool concept like assassins' creed and make it boring.Honestly though I've enjoyed most of their games with rear end Creed 3 being the biggest stinker I can think of. UPlay will always be awful though.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

computer parts posted:

I mean unironically this. It's not like games never go on sale, the only thing that's being impacted is you not being able to play a game immediately on release, which isn't really that big of a concern.

When something that's not a necessity is priced too high for you, the correct response is to not buy it until you can afford it (by them dropping the price).
This is back a few pages but you really are pretty dumb. If they're charging regions 200% more for no other reason than 'gently caress Poland/Australia/wherever' even when they go on sale the base price is still going to be horribly inflated. These people seeking out what they think are legitimate keys from vendors in cheaper regions isn't unreasonable. Waiting a year for a sale for the price to be brought down to what other regions have been paying for the year already is disgusting.

I have gotten a few games now through people re-selling their GPU giveaway keys. I paid about half price for release day games. So if they go to some site and see a game that's vastly cheaper than their region it wouldn't immediately mean that it has to be stolen.

Not that I'm saying Ubi doesn't have the right to ban keys that have been charged to stolen credit cards etc. Just this attitude of accepting nonsensical regional prices is lovely.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Read the thread title expecting an actual PR nightmare. This pretty much failed to deliver on its promise. I was hoping for like a murder cover-up or something, or that playing Ubisoft games has been linked to increased risk of cancer (wouldn't surprise me).

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

I hate to break it to you but adults in the real world need to be paid salaries for the work they do, and children's entertainment like bideo james and comic books doesn't fall from the sky. It's not the evil corporations or w/e that are the reason games are expensive, they're expensive because they require massive amounts of work to make

Typical AAA games use the majority of their budget on marketing.

Nobody should buy Ubisoft games, but if the keys are really stolen, they're in the right here. Request a refund and move on. This might get the higher profile sites to do a better work screening the sellers which is great because I'll still buy keys off these sites.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

VarXX posted:

Steam started region locking every game to prevent this for instance.

How does this work? Is this if you try to activate a game with a code bought elsewhere it won't let you, or does this mean that if you move to a different country suddenly you can't play your games?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I think it means ubisoft games are region locked and they probably didnt tell you.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Also some of you guys are loving idiots if you think "cheapgamekeys.com" sites are in any way legit or that large companies like Ubisoft don't know which keys were stolen or which ones were not. I have literally worked fraud protection for a major software company and you sound like every idiot I ever had to call and explain to why they didn't get to keep their illegally purchased licenses that they totally bought legit from the same loving site as everybody else for 1/5th the normal purchase price. because that license was purchased using a stolen credit card that was later charged back and I have the entire loving transaction history right here and I may even have already talked to that poor grandma who got her credit card stolen and 50 license purchases racked up in two days.

Sorry, I actually hate Ubisoft as much as anyone but this thread is pissing me off on a personal level.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Except that as far as I can tell a not-insignificant portion of the people having the games removed from their accounts bought the keys legally, just from a different country using a different pricing system. That's not ethical in the slightest, on Ubisoft's part.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Except that as far as I can tell a not-insignificant portion of the people having the games removed from their accounts bought the keys legally, just from a different country using a different pricing system. That's not ethical in the slightest, on Ubisoft's part.

Do we have any actual proof of that? Just because someone thinks their key was totally purchased legit doesn't mean it is. I would want to know first of all what "different country" we are talking about here. Was it Russia? Is it ever not Russia?

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

The resellers will reimburse the people hit by this, right?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Azraelle posted:

HAH

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Azraelle posted:

If it's a legitimate distributor then yes, in fact they can probably get you a replacement key at effectively no cost to themselves.

If you bought a stolen key then expect whoever sold it to you to give the runaround and hope you give up on dealing with it. Maybe next time you should only do business with people you can actually get legal recourse against if they don't hold up their end of the bargain.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Well, then why would anyone in their right mind buy anything from these sites and why are they allowed to operate?

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

madmac posted:

Also some of you guys are loving idiots if you think "cheapgamekeys.com" sites are in any way legit or that large companies like Ubisoft don't know which keys were stolen or which ones were not.
I can buy any EA game for £10-20 cheaper off of Amazon UK than I can Origin. This isn't an exaggeration or a joke. Same game same region from a 100% legit source on release day. Why this is I have no clue it's been that way since about Dragon Age II was released. I can buy games off of Nuuvem which is a legit site from a different region for about 25%-50% off of the game on release day. I can go to ebay and with a few bids end up with a three pack of new releases for GPU giveaways.

Yes people going to notashadyrussiansite.com and buying games for £10 on release day should know better but acting like everyone should know at a glance that Greenmangaming is A-OK (in spite of it looking like a dodgy site when it was first put up) and CDKeys.com is stolen Russian keys is silly. There is a degree of WTF did you think in this but not ever key seller is dodgy and not all stolen key sites are selling for games less than a little careful shopping couldn't get you the same deal.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

I use Kinguin as they always provided me cd keys that work and give me what I want for a price that seems fair (around 30-40 Eur/games, which fits what I would pay in Poland for the game in the polish language).

Thats the exact text describing where the person the OP says had his key revoked bought it from. Kinguin is a shady reseller site that allows third parties to sell keys through them.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Both GMG and Nuuvem have an extensive list of official partners that encompass nearly every major game publisher. I imagine Amazon's DD store has something similar as well. I understand if someone brand new to gaming is tricked by sites like G2A but for anyone else there are some big red flags like the fact that they are openly selling steam gifts, aforementioned partners stuff, or the fact that you're buying keys from random people through the site.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Also, it deserves emphasis that just because some keys from a particular site are valid (or at least not yet identified as fradulent) doesn't mean all of them are. Anytime you are buying something from an unauthorized seller you are taking a risk. A small one in some cases but still a risk.

ipaid10buxforthis
May 11, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Azraelle posted:

Well, then why would anyone in their right mind buy anything from these sites and why are they allowed to operate?

Because people are stupid and entitled to their dumb hobbies and addictions.

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle
buncha scrubs mad they paid full price for a game itt

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010

Mazreal posted:

buncha scrubs mad they paid full price for a ubisoft game itt

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

ipaid10buxforthis posted:

Because people are stupid and entitled to their dumb hobbies and addictions.
People are entitled to free speech. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Why do so many people think GMG is a key reseller?

Yea, my mistake I heard it mentioned

• Locked thread