Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
A buddy and I will be going to the US for a week at the end of March to visit his sister in New Orleans and we are planning a small road trip: New Orleans -> Houston -> Austin -> Dallas -> New Orleans.

We would love to seek out some places that have good local food along the way. Not 5 star restaurants, just down to earth food, burgers, steak, Creole, Cajun what have you. We want to experience the variety of foods available in the region.
We have just been in Thailand and enjoyed eating random street food there and would like to go with a similar approach on our trip.

So tell me of your favourite places to eat certain things in these cities/in the area between these cities. Do you know a tiny restaurant/street vendor that is a little away from the touristy areas and offers amazing Jambalaya? Where do you get the best steak and/or Texas Chili? What other Creole/Cajun food is a must try?

So far, this is the route for our roundtrip. If you know any places worth a culinary visit along this route, we are willing to take short detours/stop for food.

(I was not sure whether to post here or in Ask/Tell, but I trust GWS posters to have better culinary knowledge. If the thread is misplaced, fell free to relocate it, mods.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003
I've lived in downtown Dallas for years, though I now split my time between there and DC. When you're in Dallas, you should probably try Pecan Lodge in Deep Ellum. Dallas has, historically, been a barbecue wasteland, but that has changed in recent years, and Pecan Lodge is considered one of the best in the state. Alternatively, Lockhart Smokehouse is quite good too (I usually make a point of visiting Lockhart whenever I'm back in Dallas), and for a more upscale barbecue experience, Smoke, on Ft. Worth avenue in Dallas is very good. The Dallas/Ft. Worth area also has some outstanding local breweries, so you should keep an eye out for locally brewed beer if you drink. And Balcones whiskey, if you can find it (good luck with that). Kreuz Market, about half an hour south of Austin, is considered one of the legendary barbecue joints in the state - you might give that a try as well. There will probably be a line.

There are a million and one hole-in-the-wall Mexican and Tex-Mex joints in Texas, obviously. In Dallas, Herrera's is good. Wild Salsa in downtown Dallas is one of my favorites. I also highly recommend CBD Provisions at the Joule Hotel in downtown - try the Berkshire pig's head carnitas, if there's enough of you to make it worthwhile. These are both on Main St., and not far from each other at all, and both pride themselves on using local ingredients. CBD has a thoughtfully chosen beer list as well.

And if you want to spend some time at a nice, civilized bar in either Dallas or Austin, with an outstanding beer selection, I suggest the Ginger Man.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I don't live in New Orleans, but I live about 30 miles north of it, across the lake. We have a lot of the same restaurants and remnants from companies that moved here after the Hurricanes hit. That, and a lot of coworkers talk about places to hit up in NOLA on the weekends.

If you have a sweet tooth, try out Cafe du Monde and get some beignets. Another great thing right now are King Cakes during this time of year for Mardi Gras. Randazzos makes a great king cake and is definitely worth trying.

I dislike fried or raw oysters, but If you can get some chargrilled oysters at Acme Oyster House or some other seafood place, I would get some. Same for grilled alligator, although it's not the best time to get it. I'm also not a big crawfish person, but if you go to any seafood joint, you're going to find crawfish on the menu. If you enjoy muffulettas, Central Grocery gets a lot of talk around the office.

I have t be somewhere shortly, but I'll update this a bit more later.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

kloa posted:

I don't live in New Orleans, but I live about 30 miles north of it, across the lake. We have a lot of the same restaurants and remnants from companies that moved here after the Hurricanes hit. That, and a lot of coworkers talk about places to hit up in NOLA on the weekends.

If you have a sweet tooth, try out Cafe du Monde and get some beignets. Another great thing right now are King Cakes during this time of year for Mardi Gras. Randazzos makes a great king cake and is definitely worth trying.

I dislike fried or raw oysters, but If you can get some chargrilled oysters at Acme Oyster House or some other seafood place, I would get some. Same for grilled alligator, although it's not the best time to get it. I'm also not a big crawfish person, but if you go to any seafood joint, you're going to find crawfish on the menu. If you enjoy muffulettas, Central Grocery gets a lot of talk around the office.

I have t be somewhere shortly, but I'll update this a bit more later.

I can vouch for the muffuletta at Central Grocery, which is very close to the touristy (but iconic and well worth trying) Cafe du Monde. I don't think you can get a bad meal in New Orleans, at least from my limited experience of visiting a few times in the late '90s and early '00s. And I never ate anywhere too upscale or fancy, either.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I enjoyed Central Grocery's muffuletta a lot when I was in New Orleans. You can also buy alcoholic slushies there and walk around outside drinking them.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
If you can be bothered to go that far, Terra Mediterranean Grill in Fort Worth is pretty fantastic. Make sure to go for the buffet. There's one in Irving too but it's not as good.

Mid_Ben
Apr 10, 2008
DFW Goon checking in, seconding Lockheart Smokehouse. Its not EXACTLY in Dallas (just a few miles Southwest of downtown) but it's my favorite barbecue that i've ever had in a restaurant.

Also, Terra's hummus is bananas good, reminds me of the stuff I got when I visited Israel a few years ago. IDK if it's worthwhile driving all the way to Fort Worth for it though.

Finally, if you want a place for beer AND food, go to The Flying Saucer. They've got locations all around the metroplex, and while the Dallas Gingerman is really cool, the food selection is... lacking. If you want to go there, eat somewhere else first and then head there.

My recommendations for Dallas:

PIZZA: Serious Pizza in Deep Ellum. They make these MONSTER PIES and while that can seem gimmicky, they do a really good job with their crust. I am a NY transplant and can say that this place makes one of my favorite slices around. Just get 1-2 slices, you will not regret it!

BEER: Down the street from Serious Pizza is the Deep Ellum Brewing Company. They run tours from 12-3 on Saturdays for $10 and that gets you the glass and 3 beers. There are plenty of breweries in the DFW area but that's my favorite in Dallas proper.

BARBECUE: See above, I will fight a guy to get Lockheart Smokehouse BBQ. The owner is a member of the Kreuz family, and they source their sausage from Kreuz Market (located in Lockheart TX).

Get you some.

Eat it with your hands like an animal.

TACOS: You have two options, Velvet Taco and Fuel City Tacos. Starting with Fuel City, they're located at a gas station. Go there at 2 AM when you're done drinking and eat all of the tacos. They are awesome. Go to Velvet Taco if you're in the mood for a Chicken Tikka Masala 'Taco' (served on roti) with basmatti rice and topped with raita. In short, Velvet Taco is fancy but doesn't qualify as authentic at all, whereas Fuel City is super authentic but you're hanging out at an oversized gas station market to get them.

BURGERS: Rodeo Goat! It's run by the same people that run the Flying Saucer chain, but there's currently 2 locations (Dallas and Fort Worth). I've been to the Fort Worth location a bunch and they've always got an inventive lineup of hamburgers to try.

PM me if you have any questions or are looking for something specific.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Not exactly a Dallas goon myself, but I did live there for a few years. In Seattle, now, and I have to say that I miss me the gently caress outta some Terra. I make it a point to go whenever I visit.

In Austin, there's a quite excellent little place called Kerbey Lane Cafe. Pretty good pancakes, open 24 hours, and they've got a queso-guacamole dip that's to die for.

If you're willing to travel outside downtown, there's a Mexican place in Cedar Hill called Veracruz that's pretty excellent. In Dallas itself, Kalachandji's is a vegan Indian buffet that manages to remain delicious despite not using onions or garlic. Would highly recommend. For burgers, I enjoyed Twisted Root Burger.

For Chinese there's a restaurant in Duncanville (I think?) called Ton's that was good and still could be, but it recently changed management so who even knows.

For pizza, Scientology or whatever aside, the Mr. Jim's Pizza in Duncanville legit has the best pizza I've ever had in my life. Surprising, for a chain. Maybe that just shows how uncultured I am about pizza though.

All the other restaurants I visited were lovely places that I really liked despite not being all that 'good', so I guess I won't list them.

JudgeJoeBrown
Mar 23, 2007

Austin

Pizza- Pieous, Bufalina, St Philip

Burger- Hopdoddy, P Terrys

Steak- Austin Land and Cattle, The Original Hoffbrau

Beer- Craft Pride, Easy Tiger

BBQ- La BBQ, Micklethwait Craft Meats

Breakfast Burritos- Veracruz All Natural, Tacodeli, Torchys

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Nice, keep the ideas coming, tickets are booked and we are right now trying to plan our road trip in a way that allows us to be in NOLA for the culiary extravanagza that the Food Fest on March 27th promises to be!

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em
Austin

Short Wait BBQ -> Micklethwait Craft Meats, Blue Ox, Stiles Switch, Freedmans, Blacks

Long Wait BBQ -> Franklins, La BBQ, Muellers

Out of Town but good BBQ -> Muellers in Taylor, Kreuz in Lockhart, Opies in Spicewood

Steak -> Bartletts

Pizza -> Conans or Mangia for deep dish

Burgers -> Mighty Fine

Chili -> Texas Chili Parlour

Kolaches -> Gerik’s Ole’ Czech Bakery in the town of West. If you are driving between Austin & Dallas you will pass right through it. Well worth the stop.

Beer -> Draught House, Gingerman

Tex Mex -> Maudie's be sure to order some Chili con Queso

Interior Mexican -> Fonda San Miguel

VVV I Haven't had a good meal at Austin Land & Cattle in the last 10 years

Gegil fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 27, 2015

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Daily Forecast posted:

In Austin, there's a quite excellent little place called Kerbey Lane Cafe. Pretty good pancakes, open 24 hours, and they've got a queso-guacamole dip that's to die for.

And their Eggs Francisco is my favorite hangover cure.

For Steak in Austin, I always liked Austin Land and Cattle. Comedy option: Hoffbrau Steaks down on 6th. You'll be tasting garlic butter for days.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Seeing as we are both Germana and live in Munich, we have the real Hofbräuhaus in Town (which we avoid like the plague) I think Austin Land and Cattle it is for Steak. :-)

I also bookmarked Gerik’s Ole’ Czech Bakery for the Kolaches, it is really right on our planned route and we are always up to try new things. People are raving about the Kolaches online, no idea what it is but must be good.

Regarding beers: What are the rule son public drinking? I.e. buying a beer in a store and having it while walking around. I think that's not allowed, right?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Hopper posted:

I also bookmarked Gerik’s Ole’ Czech Bakery for the Kolaches, it is really right on our planned route and we are always up to try new things. People are raving about the Kolaches online, no idea what it is but must be good.
Filled Czech pastries. Lots of fruit varieties, and often also poppy seed. I like poppy seed even though they look evil. Admittedly, not everyone does. Also used for sausage filled rolls, so it gets a little confusing.

quote:

Regarding beers: What are the rule son public drinking? I.e. buying a beer in a store and having it while walking around. I think that's not allowed, right?
Not allowed. At least in Texas. I believe it would be in New Orleans though.

I'd like to offer up the Draught House on Medical Parkway in Austin for beer. It' doesn't have the variety of Gingerman or Flying Saucer, but it still has good variety and is more of a neighborhood joint than a chain. That being said, there's a Gingerman or Flying Saucer in at least Houston and Dallas as well.

wontondestruction
Dec 3, 2012

I'm a piece of human waste who supports a culture of using gendered slurs, that leads to 78.1% of women in STEM fields experiencing sexual harassment

Hopper posted:

Actually, it is allowed in Clarksville (just to the west of downtown Austin). Clarksville is home to some great restaurants and worth at least part of an evening sauntering
around with a beer in hand. :feelsgood:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Nobody's touched on Houston yet, so I'll give that a shot. I'm gonna stay away from Cajun, since you're going to be in New Orleans and you can do better there (why has nobody mentioned Coop's Place? Go there in NOLA)

Revival Market - Butcher shop, specialty market, but they have a cafe inside and do pretty drat good stuff. Their charcuterie is pretty on point as well, if you want to pick some up.

Ninfa's on Navigation - Great old school Tex-Mex. Go here if you want enchiladas with lots of cheese while in Houston. That said, there's a ton of good Tex-Mex in Austin and DFW also, so this isn't that unique.

For good beer, your best bets in Houston are either Petrol Station or Hay Merchant. I have a strong preference for Petrol Station personally, but they're both good.

Don't bother trying to get BBQ in Houston. There are a couple good places, but you have to be there early and you can expect a wait. Get BBQ in Austin.

Burgers - hoo boy. Hubcap Grill is a local favorite, my personal choice is Bernie's Burger Bus, Miller's Cafe is a solid old style Texas burger, there's really too many places to list. Houston's gone burger crazy over the last 5 years.

Queen Vic Pub - British Indian food. Himalaya is also really good, as is London Sizzler.

La Guadalupana for Mexican

Dolce Vita if you want pizza here, I'd put those guys up against anyone in the state

There's a ton of good food here, I'm struggling to add more without knowing if you're actually going to be in town for a couple days, or just spending a day here and looking for a couple highlights.

Mid_Ben
Apr 10, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

Nobody's touched on Houston yet, so I'll give that a shot. I'm gonna stay away from Cajun, since you're going to be in New Orleans and you can do better there (why has nobody mentioned Coop's Place? Go there in NOLA)

Revival Market - Butcher shop, specialty market, but they have a cafe inside and do pretty drat good stuff. Their charcuterie is pretty on point as well, if you want to pick some up.

Ninfa's on Navigation - Great old school Tex-Mex. Go here if you want enchiladas with lots of cheese while in Houston. That said, there's a ton of good Tex-Mex in Austin and DFW also, so this isn't that unique.

For good beer, your best bets in Houston are either Petrol Station or Hay Merchant. I have a strong preference for Petrol Station personally, but they're both good.

Don't bother trying to get BBQ in Houston. There are a couple good places, but you have to be there early and you can expect a wait. Get BBQ in Austin.

Burgers - hoo boy. Hubcap Grill is a local favorite, my personal choice is Bernie's Burger Bus, Miller's Cafe is a solid old style Texas burger, there's really too many places to list. Houston's gone burger crazy over the last 5 years.

Queen Vic Pub - British Indian food. Himalaya is also really good, as is London Sizzler.

La Guadalupana for Mexican

Dolce Vita if you want pizza here, I'd put those guys up against anyone in the state

There's a ton of good food here, I'm struggling to add more without knowing if you're actually going to be in town for a couple days, or just spending a day here and looking for a couple highlights.

I've heard the Chinese food scene is actually decent in Houston, Care to elaborate?

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Miller's Cafe is what I was gonna suggest, but I'll also suggest Lankford Grocery, their burgers are good as well. I also REALLY like Katz's Delicatessen right off of Westheimer and Montrose (Close to I-10). The Flying Saucer is really great for beer as well.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
http://bellatrino.com/

I love to shill this place. Such fresh tasty good feeling food.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Mid_Ben posted:

I've heard the Chinese food scene is actually decent in Houston, Care to elaborate?

It is, but I'm not the right person to ask.

Mala Sichuan is the current hotness that everyone loves. I haven't tried them, so I can't say, but it's pretty universal. There's a ton of good places out off Bellaire near Beltway 8 though, I've enjoyed the ones I've tried but I don't have the experience to tell ya which are the great ones.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
https://www.nolafoodfest.com has a countdown to the 27th of March but the main event is on 28th/29th.
We are in Nolan 22.-31. of March and have to do your road trip within this timespan (cramped I know).
Has anyone been to the food fest before? Would 1 day I.e. Sunday 29th be enough to take it all in (see it not eat it all :btroll:)?

We would be willing to skip the Friday anyway, as that uses to be all about sweets which we don't care for that much.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis
Seconding/thirding the Lockhart bbq tour. Be sure to hit up Smitty's Market too. Jo's in Austin for coffee. Baxter's on Main in Bastrop for dinner (just outside of Austin).

NOLA: hit up Drago's for charbroiled oysters, Liuzza's by the Track for bbq shrimp po'boys, R&O's in Metarie for roast beef po'boys, Port of Call for burgers, Pat O'Briens for hurricanes, Bachannal for wine and tapas, Ruby Slipper for breakfast, Slim Goodie's for breakfast, Three Muses for lunch or dinner, and I'm forgetting a ton. Good thing I'm heading back for Mardi Gras this year.

JudgeJoeBrown
Mar 23, 2007

Also hit up Round Rock Doughnuts if you get the chance.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
New Orleans tourist here

- Do NOT go to Mother's. It's overhyped overpriced bullshit lazy sandwiches.

- Cochon/Butcher is an amazing lunch sandwich and charcuterie joint. Had muffalettas and a side of headcheese there (kinda big, probably want to share an order), the muffaletta was insanely packed with flavor.

- Peche is an amazing dinner seafood restaurant run by the same guy (Donald Link). All the fish dishes there are fantastic.

- Muriel's in Jackson Square has fantastic seafood (I had the puppy drum, we don't have drumfish in CA) and a wonderfully refreshing cucumber martini.

- Bourbon Street is a wild mess of drunken partiers, and walking through it will leave your shoes covered in piss, poop, semen and blood. I've been there on a Thursday night and it's packed and full of insanity like New Year's eve in Las Vegas. The food is tourist garbage on Bourbon Street and the drinks are all maximum frathouse drunk-you-up sugar bilge water, but you should go there anyways just so you can tell people how crazy it is like I am telling you. Also, if you just go one street off to the side away from Bourbon the food and drink quality goes way up.

- Bourbon does have a couple exceptions, like there are a couple $$$$$ white glove black tie restaurants here and there and Lafitte's bar is super dark and has a piano player and a nice calm ambiance that is a respite from the insanity on the rest of the street

Besides the gulf fish we don't get on the west coast, load up on all the crawfish you can get too, because holy poo poo they're loving swimming in it (no, langoustines are not the same, crawfish has a meatier flavor different from other crustaceans)

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 28, 2015

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em
Nola => Cafe du Monde for Beignets and Chicory coffee

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Oh yeah also in New Orleans visit Frenchmen Street if you decide Bourbon is too hectic/insane. It's more artsy.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
OK flying to NOLA tomorrow, I will document my food experiences with lovely cellphone pics and post them here if they are worthwile.
road trip has been condensed due to limited time and the NOLA food festival.

We will be drive to Austin on Monday, stay until Thursday then head back to NOLA via Baton Rouge.
We had to cut out Houston and Dallas due to time constraints and because Austin seems to offer enough for 3 days, I still have that Kolashes(?) bakery on the radar for a stopover on the way back from Austin though.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 21, 2015

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Probably Kolache Factory. I've had them when driving to Houston, and they were decent. There's probably a hole in the wall donut shop that would have some tasty ones.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

kloa posted:

Probably Kolache Factory. I've had them when driving to Houston, and they were decent. There's probably a hole in the wall donut shop that would have some tasty ones.

The big kolache hotspot is West (north of Waco on I-35), which has a huge Czech population.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Check out Botticelli's on S Congress in Austin. They have some great happy hour specials in the beer garden and the food is excellent.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Dallas has some world-class cuisine but not necessarily what you're thinking of.

Vietnamese

Dallas (Richardson and Garland) has one of the largest Vietnamese communities in the United States. If you like Vietnamese food, get your rear end out to Garland. Pho Bang is some of the best pho on the planet. Done pho in North Virginia, Saigon, and San Francisco. Pho Bang all the way.

Japanese

Tei An in downtown Dallas is a soba house and crazy good and authentic. They also make one of the best bowls of ramen I've ever had. If you want to splurge, go there. Get the white seaweed salad.

I'm also going to echo the recommendation for CBD Provisions. That pig head carnitas is amazing and something you'll remember.

And poo poo. Go to Tam's Deli in Austin. Their banh mi are really loving great.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

A couple more Austin spots.

Hot Dogs - go to Frank, downtown on 4th street. Excellent choices, all sausages made local or in-house.

Doughnuts - Ken's Donuts on the drag. Open 24 hours. I actually prefer these over Round Rock Doughnuts.

Nthing Kerbey Lane. The pancakes are rad, and the size of your head.

If you get a chance, go see a movie and get some food at one of the Alamo Drafthouse locations. I recommend the baked pretzel and salted caramel shake.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Short update:
I messed up dates. We drove from Nolan on Tuesday. Been to Whataburger and Sonic on out road trip. Hamburger is better but still not a good burger.
We went to Franklin's BBQ today and had Brisket, ribs and pulled pork with slaw, potato salad and pinto beans. It was fantastic and well worth the wait.
Tomorrow we are going for steak, not sure where yet.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Been to Kerbey Lane Cafe. The Eggs Francisco are really good, blueberry pancakes and Crispy Chicken Benedict are nice, too.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Sounds like it's going pretty well so far.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Had steak near Austin at an out back steakhouse on Thursday. Probably not ideal but it was 21.30 at night on our last day in Texas and we had no choice any more. Was good though.

Went to Nola food festival today and it was amazing. The beef yakamain(?) we had was amazing. And we had seafood mac and Cheese, jambalaya, ribs, pulled pork poppy, crawfish nachos, gator on a stick, fish taco, crawfish pie which were all great.

For dinner we tried 3 muses but the line was too long. Went into the coffee pot in a side street from bourbon and had red beans with rice, fried catfish jambalaya, chicken andouille and seafood gumbo.

Thanks to spring break and weekend the line at such Mont was long as well. I'll drive there Monday morning again, and oysters at dragons is still a plan as well as maybe dinner in 3 muses.

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003
One thing to keeping mind is that during tourist season not many people are bothering to make reservations. When I was in New Orleans for New Year's, and we spontaneously decided to try a well-known place, we would just make an Open Table reservation on the walk up to the restaurant. Worked wonders.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
drat. Central grocery is closed on mondays... no muffuletas for us

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Hopper posted:

drat. Central grocery is closed on mondays... no muffuletas for us

Go to Cochon/Butcher their muffaletas are loving awesome and they're only 1.2 miles away :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
We ended up with coffee and beignets from Du monde...45 minute wait. Later as we were pressed for time, we had oysters at the French market (raw and char boiled) and a muffaleta as well.

For last dinner we did five guys on Carrollton and boy is their burger better than whataburger or sonic.

I have mobile pics of every single eat on this trip and will post a summary here in a few days. Going back tomorrow morning and I will miss this town and the awesome food.

I bought two cookbooks, General southern cuisine in Austin and New Orleans cooking here, plus Cajun and Creole spice mixes and gumbo file and I will try my best when back in Germany to get some dishes right.
I absolutely loved it all, but if I had to pick highlights I'd go with these (they were all amazing in their own way:
- beef yakamein by Miss Lydia (Nola food festival booth)
- New Orleans Sampler (chicken andouille gumbo, seafood gumbo and red beans on rice at The Coffee Pot (in a side street off Bourbon)
- Brisket and pulled pork at Franklin's in Austin

Thank you all for your suggestions, you made this trip a great culinary journey, unfortunately we had to skip on Dallas and Houston but I still appreciate the tips for those cities.

• Locked thread