Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009
I bought a house and have a room that I'm using for a theater room with an open closet. I noticed my local university was surplus selling a 42u rack for $50. After adding my AV equipment and other various components, I still have quite a bit of space remaining. Let's fill it!

Room Considerations:
* The wall outlet is a 15 amp. Not really wanting to rewire for 20.
* There is no air vent in the closet. It has no door and opens to the theater room. I don't have an issue not closing my theater room door and letting the regular circulation keep it cool (if it can).
* It's a theater room, so having it sound like a data center is not really ideal.

Things I want to do with it:
* I have a lot of movies and TV shows. I want them hosted from one place.
* It would be nice to have it be an XBMC type station to playback the movies and browse the library
* I love servers. I get an itch to mess around with Linux, or create my own web host or other stupid service I end up abandoning 6 months later, so it would be cool to be able to virtual machine up a server whenever I want.
* One place to backup all my computers
* Share locations for community house documents

A buddy gave me this guide:
http://thehomeserverblog.com/esxi-storage/building-a-homemade-san-on-the-cheap-32tb-for-1500

I'm not sure I understand all the tweaks he's doing and that I'd be able to pull the full performance, or that I might waste money on a part I would never use.

Any advice or builds would be awesome. I'm still reading around trying to figure it out, but I know there's a lot of IT people smarter than me here that would be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2801557

e. wait, you want more than a NAS, nevermind

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Before I say this, I want to cover this one thing that should be understood:

AMD FX CPUs are pretty bad, yet one of the FEW uses for them is dirt-cheap virtualization boxes, where core count and multithreaded performance are more important than per-thread performance and power efficiency/TCO. So...

Instead of the FX-6100, the better choice for this box would be an FX-8350E. It's an eight-core CPU at a 95W TDP and should be the best you can do for a cheap home VM server. If speed is more important, you can get an FX-8370E, or less important --> FX-8320E.

Unforunately, rackmount cases tend to sound like a datacenter. But you say you have lots of room on the rack, right? Stick a load-bearing shelf in there and stick a more standard case in there. Ultimately, what case you go with depends on how many drives you need, but using e.g. a Fractal Design Define R5 case will give you a sound-dampening enclosure with plenty of airflow and room for a large and quiet CPU cooler, as well as 8 3.5" spots and two 5.25" bays you can convert to 3x3.5" hot-swap bays, plus more 2.5" mounts.

Getting larger drives would mean a different RAID card than suggested in that build guide. I direct you to the NAS thread for that.

In terms of media servers, I recently installed PLEX to my NAS, and I am very happy with it. I suggest looking at that. There's also an XBMC plug-in for your media watching devices, PleXBMC, but it's designed more for PLEX server and XBMC frontend on the same box. If PLEX is not what you're after, PS3 Media Server is a solid media backend.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Home lab megathread

• Locked thread