Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

precision posted:

Do you also need context to know what KGB, FBI, and CIA mean?

No, my point was that EST as an acronym is useless to the actual show so I didn't know what it was, because context of what it is is provided amply

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
It's mentioned like a hundred times over 12 episodes though?

pctD
Aug 25, 2009

Pillbug
It's the timezone that the show is set in. Hope that helps!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yeah, if you don't know what "EST" is in this thread you weren't paying attention while watching this season.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Baloogan posted:

Yeah, if you don't know what "EST" is in this thread you weren't paying attention while watching this season.

oddly i think i live posted every episode

E: well, except the last two when i was on vacation

snuffles
Oct 7, 2007
EST is français for 'is' in very strong form conjugaison, hth :france:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Fetus Tree posted:

oddly i think i live posted every episode

yeah like I said, you weren't paying attention while watching this season.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Baloogan posted:

yeah like I said, you weren't paying attention while watching this season.

Nah I disagree.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
As someone who wasn't born until years after the last session, I'd never heard of the drat thing and all I get from the show is the same tired motivational speaker bullshit that is still somehow an industry. The Wikipedia article reads like marketing schtick for it, and seeing now that it turned into that loving Landmark cult, I imagine that's exactly what it is.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Cugel the Clever posted:

As someone who wasn't born until years after the last session, I'd never heard of the drat thing and all I get from the show is the same tired motivational speaker bullshit that is still somehow an industry. The Wikipedia article reads like marketing schtick for it, and seeing now that it turned into that loving Landmark cult, I imagine that's exactly what it is.

I never heard of it and I was alive back then. Maybe it was a regional thing?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

savinhill posted:

I never heard of it and I was alive back then. Maybe it was a regional thing?

It was pretty widespread. It even made its way into the lyrics of an REM song circa 1991:

We've been through fake-a-breakdown
Self-hurt, plastics, collections
Self-help, self-pain
EST, psychics, gently caress all

e: forgot to give context for my three letter acronym. REM were an American rock band.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
FU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I was alive at the time but I don't recall Est, I do remember Landmark education though, my parents got into that poo poo.

Riled Shareef
Dec 19, 2013
Do you guys think this is the best season of TV this year so far? I guess this or Better Call Saul?

There's quite a few contenders that have yet to begin / finish (GOT, Hannibal, Rectify), but in my opinion this is the show to beat right now! Fantastic batch of episodes!

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

phosdex posted:

I was alive at the time but I don't recall Est, I do remember Landmark education though, my parents got into that poo poo.

EST was mainly late 70s through early 80s really. We're reaching the late couple years of EST.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Riled Shareef posted:

Do you guys think this is the best season of TV this year so far? I guess this or Better Call Saul?

There's quite a few contenders that have yet to begin / finish (GOT, Hannibal, Rectify), but in my opinion this is the show to beat right now! Fantastic batch of episodes!

I think it was very good but I was disappointed by the way the season finished up. It felt like very little happened in the last few episodes other than setting up anticipation for next season.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Riled Shareef posted:

No, not even close. This has been a slow season that lead to nothing really.

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.

Riled Shareef posted:

I wouldn't even put The Americans in my top 10 list of 2015. Its decent but it veers wildly between completely unrealistic James Bond/Bourne levels of spy work on the part of Philip and Elizabeth, to comical (more believable) complete ineptitude from the rest of the world. I also think they focused way, way, way too much on really boring stuff like Paige and visiting Grandma and Nina's adventures in Siberia and not enough on the Mujahideen, Nicaragua, and Iran/Iraq.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Riled Shareef posted:

I'd be torn with a few others but probably. It's been a really good season. I think the paige revelation was handled really well. The way that elizabeth and, to a greater extent, philip are portrayed as steadily splintering under the sheer weight f the awful thongs they are doing all the time was really good as well. When Philip said 'I feel like poo poo all the time' in the final episode, I could really feel his exhaustion and I think it sets up him finally breaking down next season. I don't know what that looks like but I bet it will be intense.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think it was a solid season that got a little messy near the end. I wouldn't call it the best show of the year but I can't really think of much that are better right now. I haven't seen the last few episodes of Mad Men yet though.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

spronk posted:

I also think they focused way, way, way too much on really boring stuff like Paige and visiting Grandma and Nina's adventures in Siberia and not enough on the Mujahideen, Nicaragua, and Iran/Iraq.

What show have you been watching this whole time? Because this one has always been about the internal struggles of a bunch of people involved in spywork. That's why they focus on 'boring stuff' like characters. It has never been about the nuances of the various conflicts that the United States and the Soviet Union were involved in during the eighties, which is why the season(s) largely don't depend on any of that.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 12:19 on May 10, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I thought this was the best season, though it was also the most unsatisfying in the end because yeah, the finale was just a setup for next season.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

I think this season will be a fantastic one...when watched as part of a marathon of the series. As a standalone season, though, it was really lacking a sense of urgency.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

bowser posted:

I think this season will be a fantastic one...when watched as part of a marathon of the series. As a standalone season, though, it was really lacking a sense of urgency.

If they just had one more episode to set up the stories for Martha and Paige after what happened in the last episode it would have built a lot more drama. The Americans has developed a habit of their making their first episodes of each season hit very hard and I think we will be pleased by the start of the next season but in my opinion the final episode was a letdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Just finished up the season and it was interesting to see how wrong Elizabeth was about Paige. Right after Paige tells her she can't lie Elizabeth tells Philip he is not understanding Martha. Talk about reading people incorrectly.

• Locked thread