Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Super awkward birthday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Zero One posted:

Super awkward birthday.

The pastor is distressingly comfortable eating dinner with a man who broke into his house and threatened him with death.

EDIT: Oh the baptism is probably going to be a final straw for at least one Jennings

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Stan is just so lost at sea, and Noah Emmerich sells it so beautifully.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
A setup!

And yes, telling her now would blow things up.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The Pastor and his wife just creep me the hell out personally. Same with the Est guy.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

howe_sam posted:

Stan is just so lost at sea, and Noah Emmerich sells it so beautifully.

He's going to beat up another bathroom isn't he?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Holy poo poo now he's telling her how to be a discerning weed purchaser.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
My wife just yelled down the stairs, "that Yaz, why is Yaz playing?"

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I feel like I've posted this before, but it's going to be fun as hell to see what happens as Elizabeth and her dogged, determined loyalty toward the :ussr: doesn't immediately convert Bible-loving Paige into an agent for Mother Russia.

I get the feeling Elizabeth is thinking she'll say "Wow! This will be fun! The USSR sounds like such a great place and we can defeat these Capitalist pigs...TOGETHER!" and she's bullheaded enough to believe that it'll be so.

...but I typed that as I watched the last few minutes on a DVR delay.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Wow I was really hoping I was wrong about the pedo plot

Philip be creepin :aatrek:

beanieson fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Feb 19, 2015

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Good episode.

What did Elizabeth gather from the AA woman. Basically that money issues may make it easy to get her to flip if she's paid off? I wasn't able to pay attention to that scene as much.

How old is Kimberly supposed to be? I guess Philip spending time with her will at least give him a window into "what the cool kids are into" for him to continue reconnecting with his daughter.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
2nd time in the last few years a TV show has used Yaz's "Only You" in it's outro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjNA76RFRi8

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

If I had to chose between my kid being either evangelical or a deep cover spy for a foreign government...I'm going with the latter.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Shadow posted:

How old is Kimberly supposed to be? I guess Philip spending time with her will at least give him a window into "what the cool kids are into" for him to continue reconnecting with his daughter.

I really hoping it doesn't last long enough for that. Philip as a perv is the skeeviest loving thing I've seen on TV in a while.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Doubt they're going to hook up or anything. Seriously doubt the show taking that turn.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Is it just me or was this one of the funniest episodes the show's ever done? I mean it as a compliment, every scene had some weird undercurrent of humor that had me laughing several times. Stan's escapades in the diner, the fight in the bedroom, and the birthday dinner come to mind.

Edit: Also the tv commercial with the sexy baby.

qbert fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Feb 19, 2015

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...
I doubt it, its clear Philip has a problem with it, but how are they gonna keep it going, she invites him around to her house so he can go looking through CIA guys bedroom?

Good episode, Stan has some stuff to do now which he was lacking with Nina gone. Missing the Rezendturia crew as well :( Also anyone with a knowledge of Russian is it normal to always say someones full name like they do, or is it just TV, hey did you forget the persons name well here it is again and again, because its a Russian name and your not smart enough to remmeber Nina.

Haha funny how annoyed Eliz is at Paige for puliing off a well thought out strategy to manipulate others. She has transferable skills clearly. SHe really can't think its now a good idea to tell her now.

Re watched last season and amazed at her choice after that kid last year killed his parents because they didnt want him to join the cause.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Still give no fucks about Stan's marriage or the Nina plot. Not even sure why she is still on the show tbqh.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

That sexy baby ad was pretty hosed up and weird, can't believe that was on TV.

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
For all my complaints last week about the point and pacing of the season so far, 'The Americans' is still probably the most daring and deeply psychological show on TV at the moment. That Phillip storyline was so strange and shattering; when the show plays the sexcapades as real the results are always shocking but seeing a man forced into that perverted corner was something else. That look in his eye as she snuggled up to his shoulder was truly tragic, which sounds stupid if you look at the situation on paper but was executed so well here.

As for the rest of the episode: the church stuff has always been a bit iffy for me, but its a 'hold out judgement and see where they're going' thing; I just didn't know it was going to take seasons to get there. Religion is a suitable topic given the concept of the show, but I don't know that they've really delivered and depth there yet, despite all the time given to the subplot. Either commit to spiritual discussions or skip it; it's not a topic that plays well shallow.

Are we assuming that Nina's cellmate is a KGB agent? That it's a double test? If she gets the other girl to confess she will have proven her own loyalty? Enough at least to be given a chance at freedom, a high-risk mission in America? Probably too melodramatic for this show, but I'm trying to envision ways for her to at least get back to the continent on which the show is set.

Also, did Stan figure out the messages are in the chocolate bars or not? It seems like he did, but then he went to the bathroom anyway. The way she instantly hides the bar behind the menu after opening it is super suspicious.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

That sexy baby ad was pretty hosed up and weird, can't believe that was on TV.
Talk about foreshadowing...

Phillip is going to be conflicted, he went after the pedo in the shopping centre in season 1 with a barbeque fork because of his morals, it wasn't related to a mission or anything. I think he's going to find himself in too deep (oh god :gonk:) with this teenager.

Hey... at least there were no bodies in suitcases or teeth pulling this episodes, right?

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."

Viginti posted:

Also, did Stan figure out the messages are in the chocolate bars or not? It seems like he did, but then he went to the bathroom anyway. The way she instantly hides the bar behind the menu after opening it is super suspicious.

She was also super awkward and defensive when he asked her if she had bought a candy bar and considerably relaxed when she realized he had bought her one to eat. I'm really surprised he didn't pick up on that, marital woes are clouding his judgment!

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
That was an awesome episode. Between Stan's bathroom bullying and Phil's new Serbian Film mission this season's getting real good now.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I would rather watch them breaking limbs and removing teeth from a toddler than watch more of Phillip skeeving out. Great drama, but so uncomfortable to watch.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Wow... loving relax. I think the actress is like 21. I hope that helps you get to sleep tonight.

Here you go, kitten:

Wikipedia posted:

Julia Garner (born February 1, 1994) is an American actress.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Shadow posted:

Wow... loving relax. I think the actress is like 21. I hope that helps you get to sleep tonight.

Here you go, kitten:

Hey guys, did you know that they didn't actually kill that woman and stuff her in a suitcase? The bone-snapping sounds were added later. I hope that makes it less creepy for all of you.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Once again, The Americans is the best thing on tv.

Stellar Curiosity
Jan 15, 2009

ally_1986 posted:

Good episode, Stan has some stuff to do now which he was lacking with Nina gone. Missing the Rezendturia crew as well :( Also anyone with a knowledge of Russian is it normal to always say someones full name like they do, or is it just TV, hey did you forget the persons name well here it is again and again, because its a Russian name and your not smart enough to remmeber Nina.

I'm not Russian but I have a little bit insight.
In Russian, it's formal (and very respectful) to address each other by first name and patronym, you don't address someone as Name Last name. Most Russians have Name Patronym Last name Nina Sergeevna is her first name and patronym, Wikipedia has her listed as Nina Sergeevna Krilova so there's the last name too. Arkady Ivanovich's last name is not given (no pun intended) on wikipedia or the official website for the show.

A patronym is the fathers name with a suffix of -vich/-ovich for men, and -eva/-evna/-ova/-ovna for women. Last names usually just adds an -a or -aya for women.

Here's a better written article on this and this article explains Russian personal and pet names.

edit:

Stellar Curiosity fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 19, 2015

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

drunkill posted:

Hey... at least there were no bodies in suitcases or teeth pulling this episodes, right?

That glare Phillip gave Pastor Tim makes me think he's found a candidate for some unnecessary dentistry...

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

JohnSherman posted:

Hey guys, did you know that they didn't actually kill that woman and stuff her in a suitcase? The bone-snapping sounds were added later. I hope that makes it less creepy for all of you.

Okay. But they are really Russian spies, right?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Okay. But they are really Russian spies, right?

Nope. Welsh.

jackymc
Mar 30, 2010
Could someone remind me of the significance of Elizabeth staying at that AA sponsor's house? I don't remember that character at all (if we've seen her before) or the reasoning behind her stay.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

antavila posted:

Could someone remind me of the significance of Elizabeth staying at that AA sponsor's house? I don't remember that character at all (if we've seen her before) or the reasoning behind her stay.

That lady works at on the assembly line at Northrop. She is probably going to use her to get some stealth tech somehow.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

antavila posted:

I think that character was the Jennings' "In" to the Northrop factory when they were stealing plans related to stealth. Now there's a new Northrop factory opening up that is giving security clearance to like nine or ten people and Elizabeth is going back to the same person so that the Jennings team can worm their way into said factory and gain intel.

I think. Sometimes it's hard keeping up with all this stuff.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The B-2 project is actually pretty rife with storyline potential: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_Grumman_B-2_Spirit#Secrecy_and_espionage

Not the least of which was the FBI running a 'false flag' operation where agents posed as Russian spies looking to purchase B-2 secrets.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 20, 2015

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7IP5SV6GqQ

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I live in Cardiff and if I ever see Matthew Rhys in the streets I would probably get chills for a second before remembering he's not actually a real Russian spy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think the pedo plotline is pretty ballsy because it's going to make the audience feel the same disgust that the characters are. It's not terrible to think about what if you had to cheat on your wife but she was okay with it with mega hot babes and Martha. But to think about if you were put in the position to seduce a 15 year old for your job, very uncomfortable and a real dilemma.

I mean for most people, if you aren't skeeved as gently caress please turn yourself in to the proper authorities.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Jesus, between suitcase corpse, amateur dentistry, and Pedophill, this season is really excelling at making me squirm in my seat.

That was another excellent episode, though. My only complaint is that The Americans has always featured separate plot threads that only occasionally intertwine but it seems much more apparent this season.

You've got Phil trying to get info through the girl, Elizabeth with the AA-lady, Elizabeth training that young spy, the drama over Paige, Stan's suspicions of Zinaida, Stan's personal life falling apart, the Russian embassy doing God knows what, and Nina's prison situation. At times it feels like the show just randomly switches between these scenes and they don't seem related at all. I'm hoping this will solve itself as the season goes on.

E: VV That reminds me, this episode had another one of my favorite little running gags in the show, which is Henry babbling on about something that nobody cares about.

bowser fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

bowser posted:

Jesus, between suitcase corpse, amateur dentistry, and Pedophill, this season is really excelling at making me squirm in my seat.

That was another excellent episode, though. My only complaint is that The Americans has always featured separate plot threads that only occasionally intertwine but it seems much more apparent this season.

You've got Phil trying to get info through the girl, Elizabeth with the AA-lady, Elizabeth training that young spy, the drama over Paige, Stan's suspicions of Zinaida, Stan's personal life falling apart, the Russian embassy doing God knows what, and Nina's prison situation. At times it feels like the show just randomly switches between these scenes and they don't seem related at all. I'm hoping this will solve itself as the season goes on.

Don't forget Henry and his hot bikini pic of Mrs. Beeman!

• Locked thread