Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

pagancow posted:

as long as there isn't a direct call to action

yep

made this mistake once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
imagine. a world
of
poverty and snakes

the dream

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

pagancow posted:

So all PBS stations call outs will mention a company name, and a product, but spoken completely by the people on the radio show. There will never be a "Buy this and you'll feel good!" claim made on anything, and thus are not advertisements.

i'm actually okay with this

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

pagancow posted:

So on Public Broadcasting radio, part of the FCC rules state that you cannot run advertisements because it's meant to be a public space for people to get their message out. The idea is that the people own the air waves, and the FCC gives out licenses for people to operate in the public interest. Obviously PBS, runs most of these public broadcast stations. Their programming grew, and they needed a way to pay for all the premium content they were offering, so they decided to get "Underwriters". After checking with the lawyers, the rules were written in such that as long as there isn't a direct call to action, it is not an advertisement.

So all PBS stations call outs will mention a company name, and a product, but spoken completely by the people on the radio show. There will never be a "Buy this and you'll feel good!" claim made on anything, and thus are not advertisements.

long story short, someone will find a way around

while i agree, in principal - its dihonest to insinuate theres noi difference bewteen commercial radiop and the poo poo at n below 89.9 on the fm dial. there are WAY fewer ads and they are WAY less intrusive than u get at the top of the band. its really dumb and honesttly hilarious to insinuate or hyperbole otherwise

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

They've been getting a little more dicey these days, and honestly the "call to action" is vague and not even defined.

"Underwritten by Pajamagram. Making matching pajamas for the entire family. Learn more at Pajama Gram dot com"

Is asking the reader to learn more a call to action?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

pagancow posted:

They've been getting a little more dicey these days, and honestly the "call to action" is vague and not even defined.

"Underwritten by Pajamagram. Making matching pajamas for the entire family. Learn more at Pajama Gram dot com"

Is asking the reader to learn more a call to action?

well it's presenting the option.

probably breaking the spirit of the ruling but certainly not the wording as you've presented it

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Also NPR stations announce underwriters after they have donated up to a certain threshold, and i'm pretty sure the donor gets to write the copy. NPR just tells them how to keep it legal

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

"Visit Pajama Gram dot com to learn more"

would be a call to action

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
do u hate it pagancow how not 100% of all media is ads

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
like n1 is gonna listen to a couple hours of npr vs jack fm and think 'yea same poo poo'. one of them is obviously begrudgingly runing ads due to the realities of the cost of producing content and the other is a vehicle to sell ads. im not anti ad, as im sure youv'e gleaned from my posting in your threads and a large % of my personal income is derived from ads and/or selling content - but its pretty freakin dishonest to use your obviously privilaged and authoritaive position to coerce the idiot denizens of YOSPOS that the public and private parts of the fm band are equiv

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

echinopsis posted:

do u hate it pagancow how not 100% of all media is ads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edZVEVKYiEo&t=17s

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Smythe posted:

like n1 is gonna listen to a couple hours of npr vs jack fm and think 'yea same poo poo'. one of them is obviously begrudgingly runing ads due to the realities of the cost of producing content and the other is a vehicle to sell ads. im not anti ad, as im sure youv'e gleaned from my posting in your threads and a large % of my personal income is derived from ads and/or selling content - but its pretty freakin dishonest to use your obviously privilaged and authoritaive position to coerce the idiot denizens of YOSPOS that the public and private parts of the fm band are equiv

I pay money to run my message on your station, and just because one has weird guidelines its not advertising????

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

the worlds best award you can ever win is a fat paycheck

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

think about that

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

pagancow posted:

I pay money to run my message on your station, and just because one has weird guidelines its not advertising????

listen nobdy not even me said its not ads but its obvious, and im not going to retype my first message for you due to epically fail reading comprehension, but its dishonest to put some retarded equivalence between jackfm and kpcc

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if your goal is to try to normalize overt intrusive advertising you have a vested interest in not understanding the difference

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

bu bu but they're all ads! deliberately ignores the miles of difference between something intentionally in your face or subtly manipulative and a generic sponsorship message presented as such by the radio host

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
dont twist my totally coherent posts into some fail anti ad posts. ads are what allwo us to get cool poo poo for free. but its mega false equivilence to say that npr and jack fm are the same because of underwriting. listen to them for 20 minutes and it'll be pretty freakin obvious that whoever penned that nonsense was a hyperbole hydra

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

:allears:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

infernal machines posted:

bu bu but they're all ads! deliberately ignores the miles of difference between something intentionally in your face or subtly manipulative and a generic sponsorship message presented as such by the radio host

ye sthis post is fine but the first doesnt apply to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

if your goal is to try to normalize overt intrusive advertising you have a vested interest in not understanding the difference

this post is fine toooooo!!!!!!!!! burt usuualyl ur so hosed up retarded i said u sucked without reaidng your posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Smythe posted:

listen nobdy not even me said its not ads but its obvious, and im not going to retype my first message for you due to epically fail reading comprehension, but its dishonest to put some retarded equivalence between jackfm and kpcc

you just have a problem because one is done in your style and taste, and the other is done in the style of taste of another audience.

not really twisting words here, just pointing out the obvious

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

pagancow posted:

you just have a problem because one is done in your style and taste, and the other is done in the style of taste of another audience.

not really twisting words here, just pointing out the obvious

not a problem at all. its just one set of ads takes like 15 mins oif the hour and other takes like 3

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
one time i watched a movie on tnt and it had a 12 minute ad break

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

I'm honestly surprised TNT is still around but I guess we'll never run out of law and order reruns

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

used to ride the greyhound all the time and the pittsburgh bus station was ALWAYS showing tnt and it was ALWAYS law and order. idk why they didn't show the news or the weather. maybe the janitors liked law and order

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

what they should really show is the pittsburgh pbs station that shows nothing but rick sebak documentaries, to get people pumped up about being in pittsburgh.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

anyway, chome

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
chome

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Smythe posted:

this post is fine toooooo!!!!!!!!! burt usuualyl ur so hosed up retarded i said u sucked without reaidng your posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rofl

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

As a Millennial I posted:

I'm honestly surprised TNT is still around but I guess we'll never run out of law and order reruns

isn't TNT on basic cable now?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

yeah

they canceled franklin and bash. :'(

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

"Visit Pajama Gram dot com to learn more"

would be a call to action

some douchebags saved a bunch of money and cut emissions by switching to delicious fracked american natural gas

learn more at think about it dot org

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

franklin and bash looked like the bro-iest show ever so I never watched it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Spime Wrangler posted:

learn more at think about it dot org

nope, call to action.

"You can learn more at think about it dot org"

is acceptable

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

either way the best part is the call to action in the form of a url

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
Someone was really triggered by all those superbowl ads

http://thewilderness.me/ad-sense/

qirex posted:

franklin and bash looked like the bro-iest show ever so I never watched it
No that was Men of a Certain Age

Yes that was a real show. With Andre Braugher.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lol you gotta be real insecure to lash out against that like a girl ad

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Or Always Maxi Pads shaming men to a national audience via the Twitter hashtag #LikeAGirl. If Always truly wanted to make a brave ad they would have used the hashtag #LikeAMan and portrayed a nervous guy buying maxi pads. That takes real courage.

But, deservedly so, it was Nationwide’s dead Sixth Sense kid ad that stole the spotlight, and sucked any joy Super Bowl viewers were trying to salvage from watching two hated teams in the first place. After viewing the ad again post game, I had to hunt down Sarah Maclachlan’s ASPCA abused dog ad just to cheer me up so I could sleep.

It was that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

lol train this guy to yospos

• Locked thread