Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

It's sourcing from loving fandom formerly known as wikia formerly known as wikicities, the ad-driven wikifarm so lovely it changes its name every few years to shed its bad press.

Less credible than the reddit leak from a few months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Has there ever been one of these leaks that turned out to be right and not some gamer's soggy fanfiction?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

not credible at all, and if any of those points are true the game is going to collapse into a black hole of bugs.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Vavrek posted:

I just assumed it was ESO.

(Unless you knew that and that was :thejoke:.)

Aww that makes sense; I keep forgetting that ESO exists.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

not credible at all, and if any of those points are true the game is going to collapse into a black hole of bugs.

It's gonna do that anyway.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

It’s habbening!!! :supaburn:

axolotl farmer fucked around with this message at 12:11 on May 18, 2020

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Curved swords, huh?

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I've been working on a story about the Nord/Falmer war and it's essentially at the halfway point. I'd like to know if anyone would want to read thru it and give impressions and suggestions.

I have the full story laid out but now would be a good time to know if it's worth finishing out.

Give me your email if your interested.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I see that Daggerfall Unity is now nearly feature complete.

Anyone down with the daggerfall unity scene know if anyone's planning on releasing mods that improve the UI? That's about the only thing stopping me from picking it up at this point.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Remastered Daggerfall would be pretty cool, I guess.

Also, why is this the only thread that still has its Halloween 2018 theme?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Entropy238 posted:

I see that Daggerfall Unity is now nearly feature complete.

Anyone down with the daggerfall unity scene know if anyone's planning on releasing mods that improve the UI? That's about the only thing stopping me from picking it up at this point.

What's wrong with the UI? Granted, I've been playing Daggerfall since it was released but I don't find any issues with the way the UI is done in the Unity remaster. I think there are a bunch of options for changing stuff around.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

John F Bennett posted:

Also, why is this the only thread that still has its Halloween 2018 theme?

Everybody assumes it's a thread about the Dead Sea Scrolls and moves on, no one's PM'd a mod about it yet?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

you can just report a post with a good name suggestion with a report reason like "hey i think this would be a good thread title, please and thank you :)"

now literally everyone can do it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Doc Hawkins posted:

you can just report a post with a good name suggestion with a report reason like "hey i think this would be a good thread title, please and thank you :)"

Reported.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Dagger Fall in 2560x1080 is pretty drat dope. I enjoy it.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Doc Hawkins posted:

Good suggestion! So I reported you. (told them you were cool tho)

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Weird to think about how the Dovahkiin baby will be a teenager by the time TES6 comes out

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Would I be correct to say that Daggerfall Unity is the only elder scrolls title successfully ported into a new engine? All the other projects seem a long way off.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Openmw is completely playable and has been for a long time. Other than post 1.0 features and weird edge cases it got there first

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

Would I be correct to say that Daggerfall Unity is the only elder scrolls title successfully ported into a new engine? All the other projects seem a long way off.

Morroblivion is pretty fleshed out, though even as a fan of both I don't know if I want to bother with an 18-year-old game inside a 14-year-old game

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What's wrong with the UI? Granted, I've been playing Daggerfall since it was released but I don't find any issues with the way the UI is done in the Unity remaster. I think there are a bunch of options for changing stuff around.

The inventory is the main thing. It looks awful - although maybe in practice it's not so bad to use?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

New title is top notch

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Yes, good title! But to be fair, in Morrowind you were just let go.

That was pretty cool for Morrowind, the way you were planted just to conform to a prophecy. Real nice conspiracy-ish stuff, I loved that.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

FutonForensic posted:

Morroblivion is pretty fleshed out, though even as a fan of both I don't know if I want to bother with an 18-year-old game inside a 14-year-old game

That’s not really a new engine though. DF Unity and OpenMW are the only true engine ports.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

bony tony posted:

New title is top notch

It struck me like a bolt of lightning last night while trying to think of a good one.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

in oblivion you're also let out of prison because of your role to play in prophecy.

in Daggerfall you start as a cool secret agent, but then you're shipwrecked and have to break out of a dungeon.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

But someone put you in the wrong cell in Oblivion. I guess that guy got fired after.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I've always thought the implication with the Oblivion player character was that they just sort of manifested in the cell, which is why that rude dunmer only notices you moments before the emperor's entourage shows up

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

John F Bennett posted:

But someone put you in the wrong cell in Oblivion.

~
pcb
ResetActors
~

Nope, that's where you're supposed to be!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

tonight you set sail...FOR DAGGERFALL!!

what a loving intro. my preteen brain could not handle it.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I love how in some of the Daggerfall background stories, you’re basically some shmuck that “lucked” into becoming the Emperor’s friend because you were in the right place at the right time to save his goddamn family, and to thank you he sends you off on a spy mission while forgetting to mention the hit squads he’ll send if you don’t do it.

I like to think that the professional spies he has are all pissed about being forced to work with some amateur on such an important case.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

tonight you set sail...FOR DAGGERFALL!!

what a loving intro. my preteen brain could not handle it.

Same. It was life changing, as much as any game can be.

I truly got the feeling that I was living another life when playing (back then). Because of that, I'll pile on any and all immersion mods for the new version.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

i am tim! posted:

I love how in some of the Daggerfall background stories, you’re basically some shmuck that “lucked” into becoming the Emperor’s friend because you were in the right place at the right time to save his goddamn family, and to thank you he sends you off on a spy mission while forgetting to mention the hit squads he’ll send if you don’t do it.

I've never played Daggerfall. You can't just faff about and ignore the main quest like you can in ES 3-5?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Not only that, but the main quest was bugged and couldn’t be completed in the initial release version of the game!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ofecks posted:

I've never played Daggerfall. You can't just faff about and ignore the main quest like you can in ES 3-5?

I don't remember hit squads being involved, but your first quest was basically "go meet this lady who'll tell you more, she's waiting at %RANDOMINN% in %RANDOMTOWN%", then you get shipwrecked, and you have a limited amount of time to meet your informant since after a while she leaves and you can forget about playing through the main quest.

Though it's still a generous amount of time and you don't have to worry about it unless you decide to just forget about the main quest entirely and go on random adventures at the other side of the map instead.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Ofecks posted:

You get weeks or months of in game time to complete the quests, but almost every quest you get is tied to a time limit with fairly stiff penalties. Ignoring faction quests for too long is a great way to get kicked out of the faction, and the aforementioned hit squads when you piss people the wrong people off.

I might be misremembering if ignoring the MSQ results in a hit squad, but at the very least letting them lapse completely cuts off the MSQ, indicated with a sternly worded letter from the blades telling you off. I think it’s possible that the Imperial hit squads may only come if you fail some later ones, it’s been ages.

You CAN get hit squads by doing a MSQ-adjacent quest for a big name NPC and, depending on how you handle it, will result in him sending assassins after you on the reg for the rest of the game!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I don't know if it exists yet but if not, I hope someone mods in the ability to beat Daggerfall without doing the MSQ, sort of like how New Vegas handled it. As in, no matter what you do, there's always a path to the end.

Here's a weird bit of trivia for Daggerfall; it has 6 different endings, and they're ALL canon.

If you've ever seen mention of the 'warp in the west', that's it. The six simultaneous endings of Daggerfall.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
Just in case anyone's unaware, Nehrim is finally live on Steam. It's a very nice Oblivion TC (needs Oblivion to play). The only potential downside is that the VO is all German with English subtitles, but...screw it...pretend they're speaking Elvish or something. I'm about 6 hours into it and having a lot of fun. Yeah, the graphics are a bit dated at this point, but it still feels like a new ES game, and it scratches that itch very nicely.

One warning, make sure that Steam, Oblivion, and Nehrim are all installed on the same HD, or things poo poo themselves. I learned that the hard way and had to reinstall both Oblivion and Nehrim last night. :(

Also, if you haven't played Enderal, the Skyrim TC by the same folks, I highly recommend that as well (and the VO is even in English).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I can’t remember the name of it, but the Enderal/Nehrim team also made a TC for Morrowind. I never really played it but I’ve heard mixed things. Anyone remember what it’s called?