Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the trick to making modded oblivion stable isn't to cut down your modlist but to expand it. there are a lot of stability mods that you want to layer into your modlist. oblivion stutter remover is the most important one, you want to go into its .ini settings and turn on heap replacement after installation and try out the different heap algorithms; this essentially allows oblivion to make better use of a PC with specs that are better than an xbox 360

other stability mods like new vegas anti crash are also important, but less so. you basically can't mod oblivion to any appreciable extent without fixing the engine in a dozen ways, which is why it has the reputation as the hardest elder scrolls game to mod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

"cargohills" posted:

Think I'll do a clean reinstall and try to mod it again without trying to use Wrye Bash. Maybe go for an even more minimal list of just the unofficial patches and maybe Darn UI.

The more complicated Oblivion mods like DarnUI are hard to imposdible to install without Wrye Bash. Anything with settings can be uncoopetative with other mod managers.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Uninstalled and reinstalled and now it's crashing on the Bethesda logo every time. Whoops!

edit: Had a look and, although they disappeared on uninstall, the ini files in My Documents hadn't actually been deleted and now Oblivion is trying to load DarnUI fonts that it doesn't have.

cargohills fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 26, 2020

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

How about just doing a vanilla run.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

John F Bennett posted:

Hahahahahha

Oh Todd no

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

John F Bennett posted:

I was pretty much going to do this anyway, but with the smaller UI, some minor fixes... and, most important by far, also a book arranging mod.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Hahahahahha

Oh Todd no

It just works

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

It's working smoothly again on a reinstall. I think I might actually just keep the base UI because even though the menus are too big it is very nostalgic. Now to redo the patches and some other minor things and get going! Think the problem may have been caused by the stutter remover as I've seen reference to it targeting FPS to 30. I can't think of any other likely culprits at least. Also I now realise I should have had a better look at the Nexus page because you can change its FPS settings. Will edit the max to 60.

(Btw, first impressions on a return to Oblivion - every game I have played in the series has been a graphical leap from the last and this is no different. Everything feels massive compared to in Morrowind - I fast-travelled to Cheydinhal with a test character and the church there just absolutely towers over the place. The first dungeon is beautiful too, and it's great seeing actual traps and moving pieces in the environment. Only major negative so far is that the controls for the menu aren't very easy to work out.)

cargohills fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 26, 2020

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

cargohills posted:

It's working smoothly again on a reinstall. I think I might actually just keep the base UI because even though the menus are too big it is very nostalgic. Now to redo the patches and some other minor things and get going! Think the problem may have been caused by the stutter remover as I've seen reference to it targeting FPS to 30. I can't think of any other likely culprits at least. Also I now realise I should have had a better look at the Nexus page because you can change its FPS settings. Will edit the max to 60.

(Btw, first impressions on a return to Oblivion - every game I have played in the series has been a graphical leap from the last and this is no different. Everything feels massive compared to in Morrowind - I fast-travelled to Cheydinhal with a test character and the church there just absolutely towers over the place. The first dungeon is beautiful too, and it's great seeing actual traps and moving pieces in the environment. Only major negative so far is that the controls for the menu aren't very easy to work out.)

stutter remover is very configurable, optimal settings will depend on your machine but once it's configured to fit it will guarantee improved performance

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

The timing of this thread is odd as I just started replaying Oblivion again (mostly un modded)! Synchronicity huh?

Anyway, what do you reckon on the chances of any new information on Starfield of TES 6 at Quakecon at home in August?

Its been 2 years since the teaser trailers were shown!

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

My guess is a very small chance of them revealing something about Starfield and a 0% chance of anything related to TES 6.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I downloaded OBSE and the stutter remover again and now it's back to crashing on the Bethesda logo at start-up, whether I run it through the OBSE loader or the default one. Other mods installed are the unofficial patches and the OBSE engine bug fixer.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I seem to recall that usually a Bethesda logo crash is one of your plug-ins is missing a master.

Make sure all the unofficial patches for whatever smaller DLCs you have are loading after their respective DLC.

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

cargohills posted:

I downloaded OBSE and the stutter remover again and now it's back to crashing on the Bethesda logo at start-up, whether I run it through the OBSE loader or the default one. Other mods installed are the unofficial patches and the OBSE engine bug fixer.

My guess would be an ini file messing up, or at least that was the issue last time i was mdding oblivion.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Got Skrim SE stable so far with I think 58 mods. Vivienne Onis made the mistake of mentioning something to the effect of "I think we're kindred spirits"...well Viv, I hope you like 2h weapons.

Apparently she does, she's a loving wrecking ball.

E: Actually a bunch of those are compatibility patches so I'm not sure how many actual mods

E2: A few years ago I have a vague memory of a Windows 10 build breaking the stutter remover

sharknado slashfic fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 26, 2020

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Sky Shadowing posted:

Make sure all the unofficial patches for whatever smaller DLCs you have are loading after their respective DLC.

This was the problem - I had forgotten to reinstall BOSS to get the load order right.

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

Me and my girlfriend made a character and are now playing Oblivion together, I'm on keyboard and she's on trackpad. Also we're playing at 1024x768 because aesthetic.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
When Oblivion came out, I was on a 1280x1024 monitor. 1024x768 is Morrowind-tier.

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

Fame Douglas posted:

When Oblivion came out, I was on a 1280x1024 monitor. 1024x768 is Morrowind-tier.

Oh I misremembered. 1280x1024 is indeed the resolution we're playing at since it's the default for High.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I have now been replaying Oblivion for about 16 hours, if the play time on my save game file is correct. Having a great time with it - the nostalgia helps, but it has much more engaging quests, combat and dungeon exploration than the previous games, including Morrowind. It also has a totally unique feeling to it, with its bright pretty world and a mostly light-hearted campy tone.

I've been avoiding using fast-travel and if I'm going somewhere I haven't been before, or if there is a route available that I haven't used, I'll always do it manually. It is nice to have the option as well, and after dealing with the often unclear directions of Morrowind it's also very handy to have quest arrows.

So far I've been following the path of the main quest but stopping along the way to explore dungeons and do the sidequests that I've came across. I've not even been east of the Imperial City yet!

Level scaling hasn't proven a major problem yet, but I'll be ready with the difficulty slider when it does get too annoying. I do get why it's frustrating but to be honest I think having a decent challenge at high level is better than having high level enemies (like Ash Vampires) be total pushovers as in Morrowind if you fight them when you are also high level, even though their solution wasn't quite perfect.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

cargohills posted:

It also has a totally unique feeling to it, with its bright pretty world and a mostly light-hearted campy tone.

Yes, very much agreeing with this. My love for Morrowind knows no bounds but it had such a serious vibe at times, outside of a couple of colorful characters and quests. But Oblivion has tons of those colorful characters and quests, it's really nice.

I also agree about not using fast travel to get the most out of these games.

Fast travel is an abomination :colbert:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is a good video game.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

its really not

it has some high points but yikes lol

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Chomp8645 posted:

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is a video game.

:agreed:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Chomp8645 posted:

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Chomp8645 posted:

No, it's not, it can however be fun but I wouldn't call it good.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Kamrat posted:

No, it's not, it can however be fun but I wouldn't call it good.

You elves are all the same.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
I loved Oblivion when I was doing the thieves guild, DB quests and random little sidequests like the one with the haunted mansion

And then i started to hate it when I did the fighters guild, the mages guild or the main quest

Can you spot the difference

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Chomp8645 posted:

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is a video game.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Wolfsheim posted:

I loved Oblivion when I was doing the thieves guild, DB quests and random little sidequests like the one with the haunted mansion

And then i started to hate it when I did the fighters guild, the mages guild or the main quest

Can you spot the difference

I've never played the Fighters' Guild before - this playthrough will be my first time - but I remember liking the Mages' Guild. I particularly like how it was structured, with you having to go around the various guilds and get recommendations. Feels like you're part of an organisation, and that you're getting something special when you finally get to the Arcane University. It would be nice to have a few side quests centred around local guilds to give you more reason to visit, but the overall quest line is more engaging than in Morrowind (in which most quests involve living the epic fantasy of becoming a delivery boy) and the Guild feels more grounded in the world than the College does in Skyrim (which may as well exist in its own tiny bubble universe).

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

its really not

it has some high points but yikes lol

It's good actually. The scaling's a bit weird and it doesn't look as good as another game made on the tail-end of the same console cycle, but basically every single change from Morrowind is a good one. More convenient spell-use (although not as fun as wielding them in your hands in Skyrim), combat where you get to do different attacks and actively block instead of just straining your finger clicking, characters in the world move around instead of either staying completely static or patrolling in a space the size of a tiny box, thing can actually happen in quests that are mildly more complex than "deliver thing to person" or "kill dudes", not having to constantly pause to read and re-read directions...

cargohills fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 30, 2020

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

cargohills posted:

It's good actually. The scaling's a bit weird and it doesn't look as good as another game made on the tail-end of the same console cycle, but basically every single change from Morrowind is a good one. More convenient spell-use (although not as fun as wielding them in your hands in Skyrim), combat where you get to do different attacks and actively block instead of just straining your finger clicking, characters in the world move around instead of either staying completely static, thing can actually happen in quests that are mildly more complex than "deliver thing to person" or "kill dudes", not having to constantly pause to read and re-read directions...

*shrivels like a salted snail*

please stop posting

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Spells having their own dedicated button is a good thing actually

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Simsmagic posted:

Spells having their own dedicated button is a good thing actually

Press button, get spell. The button-awesome connection!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Chomp8645 posted:

Potato faces and all!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales

cargohills posted:

thing can actually happen in quests that are mildly more complex than "deliver thing to person" or "kill dudes"

You're gonna have a bad time when you hit the mages guild halfway point friend

Or most of the fighters guild if you're trying not to fast travel

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
I believe you don't ever have to use a single spell to finish the mages guild and become arch-mage either, but I might remember it wrong

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

I also like oblivion.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Kamrat posted:

I believe you don't ever have to use a single spell to finish the mages guild and become arch-mage either, but I might remember it wrong

I don’t really care about this. The way the skill requirements for Morrowind worked were totally unfun and to be honest I can’t really imagine any way to do them that would actually be particularly fun.

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Now, what i really like is going on adventures with vilja in oblivion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

axolotl farmer posted:

Potato faces and all!

The potato faces do have a certain nostalgic charm. But yeah if you're playing in 2020 (which I did!) I'd mod em. imo with Oblivion a short list of mods will do, and for visuals I'm putting "better faces" and "female armor re-texture" at the top of the list.

e: didn't think through what my post implies at first lol. For female armor mod I mean the kind that makes it look like actual real armor without a boob window. Not some cheesecake stuff.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 30, 2020