Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The fur armors are perfectly suited for Skyrim's weather, if you are a nord (or vampire) with hefty frost resistance. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Poil posted:

The fur armors are perfectly suited for Skyrim's weather, if you are a nord (or vampire) with hefty frost resistance. :v:

Doesn't explain the Forsworn and their armor, though. Thing doesn't cover their sides like, at all. In-game it's fairly high tier early on (unlike the bondage straps), so my stealth builds have seen a good deal of barely-covered khajiit or bretons or whoever I'm playing.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Video game light armour in general is often annoying and skimpy, especially lady versions.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Video game light armour in general is often annoying and skimpy, especially lady versions.

Oh god, the dumbass gendered changes armor and clothing in this game. I swear to God you wouldn't even be able to tell male and female Ancient Nord Armor is even the same thing if you didn't read the name. One's a suit of armor, the other is like...a loving vest or something.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I'm replaying Skyrim with heavy armor and I'm having the same problem.

I don't really like any of it! The chitin heavy is my favorite, but I don't like the helmet. The daedric is too wycked sick 90's tryhard for me and the dragonplate makes me look like Sauron hosed Optimus Prime.

I miss my OG thieves guild armor.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Flytrap posted:

Oh god, the dumbass gendered changes armor and clothing in this game. I swear to God you wouldn't even be able to tell male and female Ancient Nord Armor is even the same thing if you didn't read the name. One's a suit of armor, the other is like...a loving vest or something.

Ugh yeah, stupid gendered poo poo is far too common both in Skyrim and in SpecFic in general. I swear SpecFic people think cishet guys can't go 30 seconds without seing boobs or they get withdrawal, or something. At least Skyrim has some heavy armor that actually looks combat-worthy (Steel Plate).

Then there's stuff like Iron Armor which regardless of gender looks like ill-fitting cobbled-together junk a Clanrat might wear, not something that's fresh from the forge.

When it comes to armor I'm apparently a born-old grump, because I find functional to be beautiful. Though I do have a weak point for deliberately-gaudy parade armor too, preferably stuff noone thinks is actually for use in fighting.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
My last real Skyrim playthrough until this Khajiit spellsword now was an Argonian sneak archer that rolled in Ancient Falmer armor with a badass grey cape and no helmet. I love the Ancient Falmer armor. I just wish there were options to make early-game armors more viable late-game, because it makes thematic sense for my Nord to be rolling around in leather and furs :downs:

Also, gently caress boobplate. Brienne of Tarth didn't wear goddamn titplate, she wore armor like the loving rest of us.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Practical Female Armors and Common Clothes and Armors are absolute lifesavers for me. Being a Norwegian who grew up wearing wool in winter I've always had a hard time not being bothered by some of the armor designs you encounter in Skyrim. It sounds silly to complain about this in a fantastical setting, but it just kinda gets to me. It's like when you build a wall in Fallout 4 and it's full of holes and gaps from the start.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Thank you. Downloading.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Caustic Soda posted:

Doesn't explain the Forsworn and their armor, though. Thing doesn't cover their sides like, at all. In-game it's fairly high tier early on (unlike the bondage straps), so my stealth builds have seen a good deal of barely-covered khajiit or bretons or whoever I'm playing.
True, I forgot about those morons. I have no guess beyond that perhaps they consider frostbite and sickness to be a sign of strength or maybe the evil hagravens they happily serve demanded it as dresscode for the lols.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I figured the Forsworn were just being warmed by patriotic fervor.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales

ThaumPenguin posted:

Practical Female Armors and Common Clothes and Armors are absolute lifesavers for me. Being a Norwegian who grew up wearing wool in winter I've always had a hard time not being bothered by some of the armor designs you encounter in Skyrim. It sounds silly to complain about this in a fantastical setting, but it just kinda gets to me. It's like when you build a wall in Fallout 4 and it's full of holes and gaps from the start.

How does AC Valhalla rank? All the armor in that game seems appropriately comfortable.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I've never played it, but the characters in the screenshots seem decently snug, got good coverage. I'm not qualified to speak for the historical accuracy in the designs themselves, but they seem like they'd be functional, lots of layers.

Do note that an important part of why the poor outfit coverage bothers me in Skyrim is because the game canonically starts in autumn. You want full-body coverage in autumn.

That said Skyrim takes inspiration from Conan and other fantasy barbarians, who are usually very minimalist in the clothing department. The thing with Conan is that you need to go fully Conan, one hundred percent. You can't just do half Conan half regular viking. That's just death from exposure.

e: I used to play with a mod that exclusively added sleeves to the vanilla armors. It's one of the predecessors of Common Clothes and Armors. I'm that kinda guy.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Nov 25, 2021

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

ThaumPenguin posted:

e: I used to play with a mod that exclusively added sleeves to the vanilla armors. It's one of the predecessors of Common Clothes and Armors. I'm that kinda guy.

I don't know man, love me a Nordface gilet.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So both the Skyrim and Fallout 4 creation kits came out about a year after the games released, is that right? I'm interested in trying my hand at making some mods for Starfield and wondering how long I'll wait for the tools.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe first wait for what Starfield even is.

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

Fame Douglas posted:

Maybe first wait for what Starfield even is.

I am assuming that its going to be Fallout 4 in spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace!

Maybe I will be presently surprised.... but also, given that I will be getting it free on Gamepass, I will be giving it a bit of a go in any case :)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
lol @ thinking Starfield won't be some always online pseudo-multiplayer abomination with no modding support and only in-store microtransactions instead.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I mean I assume every Bethesda game I'd going to be a small, cautious technical step forward and a giant gameplay leap backwards.

By that formula Starfield will be a lootbox tower defense in space with absolutely gorgeous graphics and Skyrim 2 will be a full vr experience but it's a phone gacha.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

lol @ thinking Starfield won't be some always online pseudo-multiplayer abomination with no modding support and only in-store microtransactions instead.

"Starfield Will Have Full Mod Support, Todd Howard Confirms"

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

steinrokkan posted:

It's either that or they are going to go so hard with the Creation Club stuff it comes at the cost of the modding support.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Fallout 76 mod support has been coming soon for years, that doesn't mean much. But if it's a single player game, I assume it will be modable. Especially if it's still on the terrible Gamebryo engine.

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

ThaumPenguin posted:

Yeah, I'm the same. It just looks better! I think this is an updated one for SE: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/12250

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

I mean the same is true for skyrim but the gamepass version is locked anyway

so if you wanna mod starfield shell out the big bux :)

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Didn't Microsoft recently announce that they're going to loosen up the restrictions on the Windows store/Gamepass to allow users to select install directories and mod games?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Commander Keene posted:

Didn't Microsoft recently announce that they're going to loosen up the restrictions on the Windows store/Gamepass to allow users to select install directories and mod games?

The Windows Store is a complete free-for-all now, quite a few apps are now simply regular installers, some even pop up install dialogs. Those apps don't show up in the Library interface of the Store app after installation.

Basically, MS has given up and is desperate to get anyone to use their store, developers are able to simply dump their current installers in the store.

They also promised mod support, free installation directory choice etc. for the Xbox app which is currently in Insider testing and a huge mess.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Just let me unzip into Data Files and if it crashes and my computer explodes, so be it. I refuse this big tech tyranny.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Do you guys think AllinAll is correct and the Thalmor are stupid enough to ally with and trust Mannimarco because "WeRe ThE sAmE rAcE"?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

the Thalmor are stupid enough
Yes.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Do you guys think AllinAll is correct and the Thalmor are stupid enough to ally with and trust Mannimarco because "WeRe ThE sAmE rAcE"?

Minimarco? What does Marco Rubio have to do with elves?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

He can literally pursue his millennia old agenda of dominating the world with a tide of the living dead with state support by just appending "-in the name of the altmer" to his evil villain screed.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Guildenstern Mother posted:

You're using the smaller dungeons setting in unity right?

This is a life saver because even the one it makes are like still gigantic but you can usually find the quest target or whatever.
Anyways speaking of daggerfall for guilds should I be training low priority skills if I'm trying to level up the mages guild or whatever?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
If the guild trains in a skill then its a favored skill that counts towards that faction's skill requirement, so just always train at the guild you're trying to rank up in at the moment. Whether you use any of those skills is up to you.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I'm in Lysanduses tomb and I'm ready to get my rear end blasted by ancient liches and vampires.

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

So are those new lands mods for Skyrim filled with sidequests yet? I'm all Skyrim'd out but I'm hankering for more Skyrim.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

now that we are past the big obvious 10 year anniversary edition, is anyone taking bets on whether there will be another new edition of skyrim released before elder scrolls 6

maybe an ios/android port?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Earwicker posted:

now that we are past the big obvious 10 year anniversary edition, is anyone taking bets on whether there will be another new edition of skyrim released before elder scrolls 6

New version of skyrim unless they have actually begun work on TES 6. (Lol)

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

There will never be an elder scrolls 6. It will be an open world action game like god of war called Skyrim: Riften Nights

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Lawman 0 posted:

I'm in Lysanduses tomb and I'm ready to get my rear end blasted by ancient liches and vampires.

They hit unreasonably hard imo. Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Earwicker posted:

Well the 20 year anniversary is just around the corner...