Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Something that I think would be nice for them to tackle in the next ES would be the fact that fast weapons like the dagger or short sword are the de facto base for enchanted weapons because the most important part is just hitting as many times as possible. It really shits on warhammers and whatnot and punishes power attacks.

Morrowind sort of addressed this by making it easy to run out of stamina and miss attacks if you were flailing with fast stuff, but Oblivion went to making stamina just affect your base weapon damage and well,

It would be neat if they tried some weird stuff, like daggers getting half effect from enchantments, or heavy weapons having a higher cap on spell effects, or power attacks giving the effects a chance to "crit".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Could you just make damage enchantments percentage-based? So fiery dagger deals 20 physical +4 fire damage, fiery hammer does 40 +8?

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Enchantments are for posers, smith that poo poo to a shine and let the metal do the work. :colbert:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Trustworthy posted:

Enchantments are for posers, smith that poo poo to a shine and let the metal do the work. :colbert:

Smithing is for dipshits, if it nukes whatever it touches who cares if its rusty or a little bent.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Yeah! I just enchant a fork with Soul Trap and Fire. gently caress it!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Yeah! I just enchant a fork with Soul Trap and Fire. gently caress it!

Works great on skeletons, makes quick work of any Bone-Meals you encounter.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
A sword with absorb magicka and soul trap was the best way to get around Oblivion's awkward spell costs. You just make spells that use 100% of your magicka bar and use it like a Special meter.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
In past games having a good sword is helpful because pre-filled soul gems are hard to come by (specifically talking about Oblivion I guess where higher-level combat is mostly fighting damage sponges that take 10 uses off your enchantment). Hence why Azura's Star is so useful.

But in Skyrim they seem to throw shittons more soul gems at you so it's never a problem to keep your blade charged.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Neurolimal posted:

A sword with absorb magicka and soul trap was the best way to get around Oblivion's awkward spell costs. You just make spells that use 100% of your magicka bar and use it like a Special meter.

hard to justify using anything else in Oblivion aside from Drain Health 100pts/1sec and weakness to magicka 100pts/1sec. Probably wouldn't have bothered to beat that game if not for this silly combo.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I hope we get to see jyggalag return to rules-lawyering the other daedra in a future game

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

skywind plans on using oldrim :shepicide:

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Why? Where do they say this? I hope SkyBlivion uses SE at least.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Any news on the current state of Skyout, Skys Skyldo, and Skegas?

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Neurolimal posted:

Any news on the current state of Skyout, Skys Skyldo, and Skegas?

SkyOut was the only one I was able to find. Is it to represent the spreading of ash because of the eruption at Red Mountain?

Midig fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 10, 2018

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It's to represent the collision of the multiverse

Playing through Oblivion again, can anyone explain Falcar's (cheydinhal mage leader) diabolical plan? It seems like it's supposed to be some horrible revelation, but it goes like this:

- If you want my recommendation get my Ring Of Burden out of the well. It's heavy, dont say I didn't warn you!

Second in command warns you that the last person to look for the Ring of Burden in the Well...disappeared! Where could the associate looking for the Ring of Burden in the Well have gone??? Anyways here's a feather spell.

Falcar is then confronted by SiC, and is warned that she'll tell the academy that he....has a Ring of Burden that he wants out of a well, that he warns people about. This is a dire enough threat that he flees the guild.

Obviously I understand the intent (Falcar getting people killed to soul trap them), but I'm just not sure where in this plan he's supposed to have been compromised. Presume he stayed in the guild when you came back with the ring. SiC finds out the last guy searching for the Ring of Burden in the Well died, in the well, after being warned by Falcar (presumably he gives the same warning to all associates, and you're not the exception). She's mad but has nothing actually on Falcar, he writes your recommendation, you gently caress off out of Cheydinhal none the wiser.

Instead he unlocks his black gem room and runs away ranting, stupid elf.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Midig posted:

Why? Where do they say this? I hope SkyBlivion uses SE at least.

Their faq

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Neurolimal posted:

Playing through Oblivion again, can anyone explain Falcar's (cheydinhal mage leader) diabolical plan? It seems like it's supposed to be some horrible revelation, but it goes like this:

- If you want my recommendation get my Ring Of Burden out of the well. It's heavy, dont say I didn't warn you!

Second in command warns you that the last person to look for the Ring of Burden in the Well...disappeared! Where could the associate looking for the Ring of Burden in the Well have gone??? Anyways here's a feather spell.

Falcar is then confronted by SiC, and is warned that she'll tell the academy that he....has a Ring of Burden that he wants out of a well, that he warns people about. This is a dire enough threat that he flees the guild.

Obviously I understand the intent (Falcar getting people killed to soul trap them), but I'm just not sure where in this plan he's supposed to have been compromised. Presume he stayed in the guild when you came back with the ring. SiC finds out the last guy searching for the Ring of Burden in the Well died, in the well, after being warned by Falcar (presumably he gives the same warning to all associates, and you're not the exception). She's mad but has nothing actually on Falcar, he writes your recommendation, you gently caress off out of Cheydinhal none the wiser.

it's just horribly written, and like an annoying number of oblivion and skyrim quests, it kind of implicitly assumes your character is a mostly incapable child who shouldn't be expected to face such, uh, danger. and the "mystery" of retrieving the ring of burden without dying is even mostly circumvented by the feather spell, because why assume the player will be competent enough to figure out how to carry out this dangerous task from a capricious wizard?

if it were even a dangerous task at all, that is. the ring isn't even very heavy, the dead associate must have had a strength of 20 or so to be drowned by it

maybe falcar just thought everyone involved knew more than they actually did about his motives. he probably would have been fine if he hadn't panicked - after all, retrieving a ring of burden from the bottom of a well actually shouldn't be outside the skillset of a mage. it was a perfectly reasonable task to evaluate for mild proficiency in alteration, and less dangerous than several of the other recommendation quests.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 10, 2018

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Neurolimal posted:

I've actually been playing Oblivion too for the first time in many, many years (no idea why, must be some sort of inner masochistic urge) and what's really funny is that when you find the black soul gems the lizard girl goes "oh no black soul gems!" but then you later find out that the Mages Guild doesn't actually have a clue what they are.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Gobblecoque posted:

I've actually been playing Oblivion too for the first time in many, many years (no idea why, must be some sort of inner masochistic urge) and what's really funny is that when you find the black soul gems the lizard girl goes "oh no black soul gems!" but then you later find out that the Mages Guild doesn't actually have a clue what they are.

oblivion can be pretty good but it takes a solid week of modding to get there

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I like how it didn't occur to anyone who drowned to take the ring off.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

RBA Starblade posted:

I like how it didn't occur to anyone who drowned to take the ring off.

Somewhere now there is a Skyrim player who refuses to drop loot and slowly walks their character back to Whiterun.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Midig posted:

Somewhere now there is a Skyrim player who refuses to drop loot and slowly walks their character back to Whiterun.

hello

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Midig posted:

Protip is that Wuld still moves you at fast speed.

So just slowly Wuld your way across the land when overburdened! :pseudo:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Fucks sake man. Lydia is literally sworn to carry your burdens

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Nth Doctor posted:

Fucks sake man. Lydia is literally sworn to carry your burdens

who

e; oh that woman who always gets killed by the first trap she meets

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
My favorite part of the "Timmy fell down the well" quest is that the apprentice's corpse merrily floats, instead of being dragged down by the ring.

My least favorite part is that Timmy isn't named Timmy.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Ms Adequate posted:

I wish there was a mod that added the blue scrolls from Diablo games.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Midig posted:

I wish there was a mod that added the blue scrolls from Diablo games.

i haven't modded skyrim very extensively but googling "skyrim mark and recall" indicates there are at least 5 mods that provide teleport functionality

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Ms Adequate posted:

Just summon Arvak and fast-travel on horseback, easy peasy.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Jazerus posted:

i haven't modded skyrim very extensively but googling "skyrim mark and recall" indicates there are at least 5 mods that provide teleport functionality

Just get a Tardis and thumb your nose at lore compatibility.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The TARDIS mod is tagged lore-friendly. I see no problem with this.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
The best thing about the well quest is that you can still pick up the ring with the Z key, drag to with you to any doors or hatches you need, and just pick it up in your inventory for the transitions, then drop and pick it up again with Z. It's real dumb.

EDIT: 12 year-old me who barely knew English figured that one out

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Deltasquid posted:

The best thing about the well quest is that you can still pick up the ring with the Z key, drag to with you to any doors or hatches you need, and just pick it up in your inventory for the transitions, then drop and pick it up again with Z. It's real dumb.

EDIT: 12 year-old me who barely knew English figured that one out

My favorite Z-key thing was using skeletons for loot storage and then Z-move their skull with you. Can't go through cell transitions this way, though you can wander all around the countryside with a skull from a skeleton that was outside.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

My favorite Z-key thing was using skeletons for loot storage and then Z-move their skull with you. Can't go through cell transitions this way, though you can wander all around the countryside with a skull from a skeleton that was outside.

This exploit persisted through FO3 and launch New Vegas; you could gib an enemy, put a bunch of gear in it, then carry it with you to a store.

NV had an expac where the ending has a bunch of gold bars that you can usually only take one of (its a timed sequence and they're heavy), but you could blow up the villain and store a vaults worth of gold in his tibia.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Are you talking about this faq last updated two years ago?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

Are you talking about this faq last updated two years ago?

no
https://www.reddit.com/r/skywind/wiki/index#wiki_will_skywind_be_coming_to_both_regular_and_special_edition_of_skyrim.3F

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Jazerus posted:

oblivion can be pretty good but it takes a solid week of modding to get there

Haha let's not say anything we can't take back. With enough modding Oblivion can potentially go from a diarrhea turd to a regular turd. It's an improvement but it's still poo poo.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Gobblecoque posted:

Haha let's not say anything we can't take back. With enough modding Oblivion can potentially go from a diarrhea turd to a regular turd. It's an improvement but it's still poo poo.

it's not the same kind of experience as morrowind but i'd argue that in 2018 it's definitely possible to make it pretty good. until fairly recently what you said was correct, though. a lot of the improvement has to do with the increasing sophistication of maskar's oblivion overhaul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Yeah but its like... why?