Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oblivion's good on its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Install maskars

Play the thieves guild and dark brotherhood questlines which are neat, then realize dishonored exists and uninstall oblivion

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I always start oblivion with the best of intentions, play for a few hours then stop.

You can make all of the tweaks in the world to that game but Cyrodil is still going to be a boring place filled with boring people.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Install maskars

Play the thieves guild and dark brotherhood questlines which are neat, then realize dishonored exists and uninstall oblivion

I've been watching DansGaming play through oblivion and he's using maskars.

It looked interesting enough until he ran into a situation where he legit could not damage vampire enemies fast enough to outrun their constant in-darkness health regen.

Then destroyed by nonstop Morag Tong attacks.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Sky Shadowing posted:

It looked interesting enough until he ran into a situation where he legit could not damage vampire enemies fast enough to outrun their constant in-darkness health regen.

Tbf this still happens in vanilla with dread zombies

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Humbly presenting my hot take.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Sky Shadowing posted:

you can tweak their regen or turn it off entirely. same with the morag tong attacks

every feature is implemented separately

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I like Oblivion more than Morrowind still but that's probably because I played it first and also because becoming Hortator of every house is fairly boring.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I often hear that and I'm always kind of confused by it because I like the Hortator quests.

What's wrong with me/you/them?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Vavrek posted:

I often hear that and I'm always kind of confused by it because I like the Hortator quests.

What's wrong with me/you/them?

If I only had to become Hortator of one house or something for the quest progression it'd be fine, it just sort of slows the plot stuff completely to a halt for me. Most of it was just using my super jump spells to jump back and forth places for a few hours.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I actually agree with what they're saying there. I've found the new CK to be exceptionally crash-prone even compared to the old CK. Let them finish it up and then convert it.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

If I only had to become Hortator of one house or something for the quest progression it'd be fine, it just sort of slows the plot stuff completely to a halt for me. Most of it was just using my super jump spells to jump back and forth places for a few hours.

Get 50 rep and it doesn't matter you skip that entire chain

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
You can also just kill Vivec, take the Wraithguard off his corpse and show it to the Yagrum Bagarn. If you also grab the documents proving what’s going on, he’ll help you attune to it so that you can grab Sunder and Keening and banish the heart.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

I'm doing a thing you nerds might appreciate:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3846402

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Any reason why Maskar's overhaul messes up Oblivion XP? If I turn the mod off, Oblivion XP works again.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Mill Village posted:

Any reason why Maskar's overhaul messes up Oblivion XP? If I turn the mod off, Oblivion XP works again.

messes up how? maskar's does add its content into the oblivion xp framework - they interact much more than maskar's does with almost any other mod, from what i understand

maskar is extremely responsive though, if you post a detailed description of the issue on the MOO nexus page he will probably have it figured out pretty quickly

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Jazerus posted:

messes up how? maskar's does add its content into the oblivion xp framework - they interact much more than maskar's does with almost any other mod, from what i understand

maskar is extremely responsive though, if you post a detailed description of the issue on the MOO nexus page he will probably have it figured out pretty quickly

It took me a minute to realize I somehow disabled both Oblivion XP and Maskar. Everything is working fine since I fixed that.

How bad is the level scaling in Maskar's overhaul? I looked through the ini files, but I'm not sure what I should change to disable it without blowing up the mod. I changed the bosses so they don't scale as high, but that's about it.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Mill Village posted:

It took me a minute to realize I somehow disabled both Oblivion XP and Maskar. Everything is working fine since I fixed that.

How bad is the level scaling in Maskar's overhaul? I looked through the ini files, but I'm not sure what I should change to disable it without blowing up the mod. I changed the bosses so they don't scale as high, but that's about it.

you want the bosses to scale very high imo, they don't spawn 50 levels above you or anything but when you're high level the max scaling on bosses needs to be high so that you still run into challenging enemies while sweeping grunts aside easily. which is basically the whole purpose of the level scaling; it's pretty good with the OOO-intended settings in my experience.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I'm playing as a Mage and I'm doing fine with OOO+MOO at the default settings. The only thing I changed is the lighting because MOO makes the game too dark for me.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Is there a way to make Skyrim louder? It's like 10% of the volume of every other app or game on my computer, including other Bethesda games

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Is there a way to make Skyrim louder? It's like 10% of the volume of every other app or game on my computer, including other Bethesda games

Yeah at the bottom left of your screen should be a speaker icon. Drag the slider up and it'll be louder. I hope this helps.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Okay, I found these while looking for something else and they're actually drat good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYLRAbueQ8Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRErZ4PTY70

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

*long take of Vivek putting on sunglasses and looking out over the blood red sunset*

*the nevarnine wears elven boots with no socks*

*keep a mudcrab on my boat*

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
I just checked out the Beyond Skyrim site. Bruma is cool and all, but it really looks like they're biting off a bit too much.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

https://twitter.com/SeclusiveBlue/status/962590573323542529

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I, too, just finished watching Smight's stream :v:

Kind of curious if he spawned the guard there or trained him over with promises of sweetroll thefts.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does anybody know a good guide for modding Oblivion? A step by step process would be cool.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Randaconda posted:

Does anybody know a good guide for modding Oblivion? A step by step process would be cool.

download maskars and the character overhaul

youre done

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I remember a few years ago seeing this commercial and being able to name a bunch of things that were in it but not possible in the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1AenlOEXao

But now I can't seem to get most of them. All that comes to mind is horses in towns, bells being rung, and babies, whereas when I first saw it I swear I could think of something for every single shot. Anyone else have ideas?

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

More than five npcs in a scripted event
People moving in a natural gait
Merchants running from the dragon and not ineffectually punching it
The hero not inexplicably ragdolling
The dragon isn’t interrupted by a vampire attack
Nobody is shouting “Greetings!” as he approaches the dragon

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

When things fall over, the physics engine doesn't immediately send them spiraling into the stratosphere.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Depends on how picky you want to get. Guards don't take off their helmets. The Dragonborn has a one-handed sword strapped to his back, but in-game it would be at his hip.

The Dragonborn should be struggling to reach the dragon because there's already a crowd of guards and townspeople fighting it.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Randaconda posted:

Grab OBSE, Oblivion Reloaded, and Oblivion Stutter Remover. Enable Heap Management in the OSR ini.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

Grab OBSE, Oblivion Reloaded, and Oblivion Stutter Remover. Enable Heap Management in the OSR ini.

heap management is the One Weird Trick of oblivion modding, yeah

the game's not really all that unstable if the engine isn't pretending your GPU is from 2005

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Can someone familiar with how Skyrim works please tell me why the hell things like this happen?

https://clips.twitch.tv/PeacefulAliveBillLitFam

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
That follower is Serana from the Dawnguard DLC. To make her appear more "lively" then the vanilla followers who pretty much just follow you like robots, Bethesda gave Serana a sandbox AI that kicks in when she's not running after the player which has her interact with nearby activators. When it works well, it has her sit on a nearby bench while you're selling things, or go has her go tan some leather while you're using a grindstone. Things that make her seem less of a mindless drone. It was kind of a neat idea.
The problem is that Bethesda didn't implement a filter and Serana can activate any nearby activator, whenever. In this case, when you enter that room that kid is doing an animation where he's preforming the black sacrament. The activator that allowed that kid's AI to do that animation is still there, so Serana can activate it.

Here's another good example.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 19, 2018

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Raygereio posted:

That follower is Serana from the Dawnguard DLC. To make her appear more "lively" then the vanilla followers who pretty much just follow you like robots, Bethesda gave Serana a sandbox AI that kicks in when she's not running after the player which has her interact with nearby activators. When it works well, it has her sit on a nearby bench while you're selling things, or go has her go tan some leather while you're using a grindstone. Things that make her seem less of a mindless drone. It was kind of a neat idea.
The problem is that Bethesda didn't implement a filter and Serana can activate any nearby activator, whenever. In this case, when you enter that room that kid is doing an animation where he's preforming the black sacrament. The activator that allowed that kid's AI to do that animation is still there, so Serana can activate it.

Here's another good example.

Serena? Serena? Serena? Serena! SEREEENA!
-someone who apparently never reads or listens to anything said ingame

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Both of those were things Ive never seen in Skyrim before, because who doesn't power through her quest to ditch her ASAP?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I always liked Serena. She has a lot of stuff to talk about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I remember a few years ago seeing this commercial and being able to name a bunch of things that were in it but not possible in the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1AenlOEXao

But now I can't seem to get most of them. All that comes to mind is horses in towns, bells being rung, and babies, whereas when I first saw it I swear I could think of something for every single shot. Anyone else have ideas?

Why are all the townspeople not running at the dragon with both fists drawn?