Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Arktwend and Myar Aranath

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
SureAI was the name of the team.

Myar Aranath: Relicts of Kallidar (2005) (The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind)
Arktwend: The Forgotten Realm (2005) (The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind)
Nehrim: At Fate's Edge (2010) (The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion)
Enderal: The Shards of Order (2016) (The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim)

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

aas Bandit posted:

Just in case anyone's unaware, Nehrim is finally live on Steam. It's a very nice Oblivion TC (needs Oblivion to play). The only potential downside is that the VO is all German with English subtitles, but...screw it...pretend they're speaking Elvish or something. I'm about 6 hours into it and having a lot of fun. Yeah, the graphics are a bit dated at this point, but it still feels like a new ES game, and it scratches that itch very nicely.

One warning, make sure that Steam, Oblivion, and Nehrim are all installed on the same HD, or things poo poo themselves. I learned that the hard way and had to reinstall both Oblivion and Nehrim last night. :(

Also, if you haven't played Enderal, the Skyrim TC by the same folks, I highly recommend that as well (and the VO is even in English).

I like Nehrim, the only real problem I have with it is that long beginning with crawling trough the caves and even when you're out of it you still have to do some tasks to get out of that first town, I wanted to replay it so many times but that just makes it so much harder for me to restart it.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Kamrat posted:

I like Nehrim, the only real problem I have with it is that long beginning with crawling trough the caves and even when you're out of it you still have to do some tasks to get out of that first town, I wanted to replay it so many times but that just makes it so much harder for me to restart it.

Just turn the difficulty all the way down at the beginning and crank through it. I'm one of those guys who peeks in every dark corner and would make people grit their teeth down to the gums if they were watching me on Twitch or something, but if you've already been through the beginning once, gently caress it, just speedrun it. I don't think there's anything all that amazing in there to pick up? The town is only a couple of quick tasks and will go even faster. :)

Does vanilla Oblivion give you a $ total on contents when you mouse over a chest/box before opening it, or is that something Nehrim added? If the latter, it's a nice touch. The only thing I'm really missing in Nehrim is some of the PC-specific UI improvement mods that I used on Oblivion. I'd pay money to be able to swap between weapon sets, or to be able to hammer a "sell poo poo" hotkey and not have to select and click "yes" on every item one-by-one. :smith:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

aas Bandit posted:

Does vanilla Oblivion give you a $ total on contents when you mouse over a chest/box before opening it, or is that something Nehrim added? If the latter, it's a nice touch. The only thing I'm really missing in Nehrim is some of the PC-specific UI improvement mods that I used on Oblivion. I'd pay money to be able to swap between weapon sets, or to be able to hammer a "sell poo poo" hotkey and not have to select and click "yes" on every item one-by-one. :smith:

It is important that you hear "that was a great deal" and "you've made a good bit of gold!" at least ten times for every visit to a merchant.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

That's more than I usually pay

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Fathis: "Why why why why why why why why why..." etc

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

aas Bandit posted:

Just turn the difficulty all the way down at the beginning and crank through it. I'm one of those guys who peeks in every dark corner and would make people grit their teeth down to the gums if they were watching me on Twitch or something, but if you've already been through the beginning once, gently caress it, just speedrun it. I don't think there's anything all that amazing in there to pick up? The town is only a couple of quick tasks and will go even faster. :)

I guess I could do that, but it feels wrong somehow... But at least it's better than not starting the game again

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

nice

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Don't mind me, dremora. I'm only here on sexual business.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

John F Bennett posted:

Don't mind me, dremora. I'm only here on sexual business.

That's cool. Hey, I know you're busy nutting in that living furnace but have you heard the good news about Mehrunes Dagon?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

*nodding along, smiling, until i reach the end and flip the table*

people cannot become daedra

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe

Doc Hawkins posted:

*nodding along, smiling, until i reach the end and flip the table*

people cannot become daedra

sheogorath has something to discuss with you

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

Look I wrote this when I was really young okay. Now that I've gotten old I know this how thing was foolish. I now realise my mistake. Frost Atronachs are way sexier.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Why not a Storm Atronach? They are electrifying and will multiple your chills for sure.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Aim high and hang out with Vivec and Molag Bal

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

it's been years since the release of c0da and yet i am still not aware of any mods give vivec bomb-rear end titties, get it together developers

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
still waiting on a new elder scrolls :colbert:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Doc Hawkins posted:

it's been years since the release of c0da and yet i am still not aware of any mods give vivec bomb-rear end titties, get it together developers

The ending of the words is TITTAYS.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
As effervescent in death as he was in life

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

sharknado slashfic posted:

Aim high and hang out with Vivec and Molag Bal

I mean Vivec died ugly, and all his friends hated him. He sounds like the worst.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I enjoy taking walks in the Ascadian Isles. It is a very relaxing and pretty region.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

You don't see a lot of man-atronach sexual business. I don't think it's even legal in the planes of oblivion.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Skyrim SE is currently on sale on Steam for 60% off through the 25th. For the 2 others possibly reading this thread who bought Oldrim but not the DLC, this is the cheapest I've seen it in a good long while ($16US).

e: going to guess this will be the going price as well during the Summer Sale

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 19, 2020

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Decided to finally do a big all-Elder Scrolls playthrough. Started with Arena, obviously, which is actually quite fun until you realise the whole game is just doing a side-dungeon so some guy will tell you where the real dungeon is, bumbling through identical corridors, waving your mouse around and occasionally answering a riddle. Managed to forge ahead and beat it though, all thanks to walkthroughs and how completely broken the Shield, Reflect and Absorb spells are. Also thanks to a random sword I found that had thousands of charges of an area of effect fire spell. Not a very good game but fascinating to play given where the series has ended up.

Next, Daggerfall. An incredible leap up from Arena graphically, thanks to the dungeons and cities being actual 3D environments instead of pseudo-3D square blocks like Wolfenstein. Interiors of houses make more sense too - in Arena every tavern was the size of a shed on the outside and a warehouse on the inside. Also a leap in that cities aren't as much of a pain to navigate (wow! inns are already marked on the map! thank you!) and there are more unique characters, although what that means in practice is that there are a handful of named royals who give you quests and loredumps.

Unlike Arena, though, I couldn't stand this enough to get to the ending. The actual dungeon crawling is more fun, because the dungeons sort of look like real places and aren't all flat, but level requirements for the main quest mean that you have to grind enemies in unimportant dungeons and do sidequests, which are all randomly generated and awful (and sometimes literally impossible). It would probably be fun if the game had a smaller scale and focused on curated dungeons, or at least didn't make the poo poo random ones as necessary.

Skipped the spin-off games from the 90s because from what I've heard Battlespire is basically Daggerfall but buggier and with the complexity of the story regressed back to "kill the bad men", and Redguard is a lovely Tomb Raider clone.

Currently playing Morrowind. Have played it before but never actually completed it - I had about a hundred hours on record across loads of starting characters, and the furthest I'd ever got in the main quest was to go visit the Vivec informants for Caius Cosades. Now have another 60 hours on record with the main quest done and onto Tribunal.

Main lesson has been that the low level Morrowind experience is more fun than the high level one. Might have been because I was using the mod to make all attribute increases be by 5 points, but once you have skills and good equipment every enemy that isn't a spellcaster is totally trivialised, and even spellcasters are often trivial too (I beat every Ash Vampire with a one-hit stealth attack from my Daedric dai-katana).

Combat isn't that great to begin with anyway, since it does just boil down into clicking over and over and sometimes eating potions. Also, top tip: don't use short blade as your only weapon! You'll just hurt your finger with how much you need to click compared to the better weapons when fighting tougher enemies.

Levelling high also hurts the fun of the exploration; when I no longer see the wildlife as a threat I have no problem with just taking straight A to B journeys and levitating over the mountains instead of actually having to be cautious, learn the roads and follow directions.

I was also surprised by how much level scaling there is in the game. Unique NPCs and items are obviously hand-placed, but basically all wilderness, tomb and daedra enemies scale to some degree. The average tomb at level 1 will be full of ghosts and skeletons, but at level 20 will be inhabited by Bone Lords; and the wilderness around Seyda Neen starts consisting mostly of rats and kwama foragers and ends up filled with Netches and Blighted Cliff Racers.

I have actually enjoyed Morrowind so far, despite this parade of complaints. It's got a very unique atmosphere and visually has aged surprisingly well, the background lore is great and the chosen one story is done better than most are. But the problems stand out when most talk about the game tends to be singing its praises.

EDIT: Should probably mention Tribunal as well. Not impressed so far! I might just be all Morrowinded out but Mournhold is really ugly compared to the cities in the base game, the sewers are boring and I don't care about King Helseth's various plots. Some interesting side quests though - that combined with the sewer goblins and closed off city feel very proto-Oblivion.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Battlespire is kind of an interesting case, because while it’s certainly a “stop the badguy” story, it’s also where a TON of lore was either solidified, or introduced, particularly for the Daedra, such as the first use of Daedric Script. It also introduced the Soul Cairn, and you could actually talk to the Ideal Masters instead of just looking at them like in Dawnguard. Unfortunately, I don’t believe being able to talk to random intelligent monsters amounts to much for the quests, but there’s a lot of flavour dialogue thrown in to fill out their dialogue.

Redguard also has a great story an solidified a LOT of the lore into the Elder Scrolls we know now a days, but it’s practically unplayable. Both in terms of trying to set it up and the gameplay when fully functional. I don’t hate the idea of an Elder Scrolls side-game that tells a more linear story with more action-oriented gameplay, but the execution with Redguard was just miserable.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 20, 2020

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Also the actual battlespire is a space station, which is conceptually pretty fun to see in a fantasy setting

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

cargohills posted:

Decided to finally do a big all-Elder Scrolls playthrough. Started with Arena, obviously, which is actually quite fun until you realise the whole game is just doing a side-dungeon so some guy will tell you where the real dungeon is, bumbling through identical corridors, waving your mouse around and occasionally answering a riddle.

There's a bug in the game which lets you repeatedly do the same first dungeon (Stonekeep) over and over again. Well I think it could be any of the main quest dungeons that you repeat, but Stonekeep is the easiest and fastest so it was the one used here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmDOang3O0w

(This is part of an anthology run, so you can also from there look at how Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim see their glitches exploited to skip most of the game content.)

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Tribunal has some clever writing behind it, I feel like. For example, the King's Oath blade that you can get. It's an enchanted Daedric claymore, which by itself makes it a great weapon that players will go "oooh" over. But if you look at the enchantments you suddenly realize that it's enchanted to do damage to the wielder.

Though there's a possibility that it's an oversight by Bethesda, I've always felt that it's intended, given that a large part of the storyline revolves around the fact that Helseth is actively trying to kill you.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Tribunal is a neat city with lots of little sidequests and has the museum of artifacts. If you like collecting or like money go there

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I couldn't get into Tribunal because Mournhold tanked my fps too hard. Base game was fine though.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Cat Mattress posted:

There's a bug in the game which lets you repeatedly do the same first dungeon (Stonekeep) over and over again. Well I think it could be any of the main quest dungeons that you repeat, but Stonekeep is the easiest and fastest so it was the one used here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmDOang3O0w

(This is part of an anthology run, so you can also from there look at how Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim see their glitches exploited to skip most of the game content.)

Thanks for linking this. The Daggerfall run in this series is absolutely fascinating for how totally broken it is.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Tribunal is a neat city with lots of little sidequests and has the museum of artifacts. If you like collecting or like money go there

I do love collecting and also money, although as far as I can tell there is basically nothing to spend money on once you have the best equipment. I mostly just use it to buy books and carefully arrange them on shelves. I also have a collection of helmets.

Truly, the greatest tragedy of the Elder Scrolls series is that you can't buy houses (without mods) in the game that it's easiest to decorate in.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I enjoyed buying and stealing all the candles all over Morrowind to place them in my stolen house, inside and outside. It was beautiful.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

cargohills posted:

I do love collecting and also money, although as far as I can tell there is basically nothing to spend money on once you have the best equipment.

Weird enchantments like CE summon clanfear.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I completely forgot about enchantments actually. I tried to buy one once but clicking the button to change it from on cast to on equip didn't do anything so I gave up. To be honest when it comes to the enchanting and spellmaking Oblivion is my favourite, mostly because I at least understand how to use it in that.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

cargohills posted:

I completely forgot about enchantments actually. I tried to buy one once but clicking the button to change it from on cast to on equip didn't do anything so I gave up. To be honest when it comes to the enchanting and spellmaking Oblivion is my favourite, mostly because I at least understand how to use it in that.

You can only get on equip/constant effect enchantments by soul trapping certain rare high level monsters in grand soul gems. Otherwise that button just switches between on-cast and on-strike if you're enchanting a weapon.

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

What's the best way to experience Oblivion for the first time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Ott_ posted:

What's the best way to experience Oblivion for the first time?

In 2006, deployed, with a 360, and a lot of time to waste.