Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Moryrie posted:

Oh, random, but, uh what's up with the mountain lions in Oblivion? (or the cats wandering around ESO.. or saber cats.. or.. any cat that isn't a Khajiit..) .. are they Khajiit subspecies that are super aggressive? (or not in the case of ESO cats..), or are they like RL cats? They don't quite make sense to me I guess? Does anyone know why they're there? Or what they are?

What's up with giants? Are they are Nord subspecies? What about the guar, are they some kind Argonian offshoot? Are they IRL deformed iguanas? HELP

I think you're making some special connection here on the basis "there is two kinds of cat THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE" when there are probably dozens of examples of something similar all over the games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The guilds in Skyrim are probably the worst thing about the game and only an idiot would defend them. Even Oblivion's guilds blow them out of the water and that's the game that most people consider the low point of the series.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The Dark Brotherhood is indeed the best guild because you can take the quest option to wipe out the whole enclave and they aren't loving essential.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
There was that progression bug that locked out a good portion of all the guild quest lines. As a result they all seemed short and nonsensical.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Friendly Factory posted:

I'll be very upset if a future ES game isn't about their return. That would be great.

Awful idea even by game story standards.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Heavy Lobster posted:

if it has the Elder Scrolls name on it people will do Icarian Flight levels of acrobatics to justify how it's actually good.

I love this line.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

SunAndSpring posted:

I wonder where Kirkbride is posting now. I recall him having some sort of tantrum on r/teslore over something or other and demanded the mods ban him.

Can you really ban that which has achieved CHIM?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

CommonShore posted:

I'm playing oblivion for the first time and I have to say I appreciate how monsters seem to never stop chasing you no matter how far you run

They don't stop chasing you no matter how high you level, either.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

NikkolasKing posted:

Random thought: somebody once told me that the Blades (the actual TES group) are whatever each game needs them to be. I never realized this but it's true. In Morrowind they are foreign operatives. In Oblivion they re the Emperors bodyguards. And in Skyrim they are dragon hunters.

Uh, this is the stated purpose of the Blades? They are just elite agents in service of the Emperor. They can be tasked to spy, guard, kill, steal, or do whatever based on their talents and the Empire/Emperor's need. There was never any reason to believe they were limited to one role.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
On topic: I've been kinda debating with myself whether I should play Oblivion or not.

I'll be finishing up my first ever "serious" play through of Morrowind soon (i.e. finished main quest, completed several guilds, did the expansions, achieved CHIM through gratuitous alchemy/enchantment) and was pondering continuing in sequence. Like Morrowind, I've played Oblivion a long time ago but I really just farted around, never finished the main quest or most guilds, racked up 2x modifiers on level up so level scaling was terrible, never did any expansion content, never did most daedric quests, etc. I basically just spent a bunch of time screwing around playing Elder Scrolls: Thief Simulator in between random bullshit.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Commander Keene posted:

One of the best things about Skyrim was looking up voice actors and discovering Paarthurnax was voiced by freaking Mario, though.

Dovakiiiiiiiihn...

...thank you so much for to playing my game!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

counterfeitsaint posted:

Pushing paid mods has been their goal for years. They tried it first with that steam partnership thing, and got so much push back they cancelled it, then introduced bethesda.net as optional.

It should be noted that the reason this push failed wasn't just because of a pushback against the idea of paying for mods or "premium content". The launch itself was a bungled mess. There were QA issues, there were quality problems in general, there was theft of assets, etc. It was poorly planned and poorly executed.

Off the top of my head, all of these issues were present in flagship mods that were hand-picked to launch the service.

1) The "shadow armor" that only fit standard, male humanoids because they only made one model for it. Would feature extreme clipping on female humanoids, and all argonians/khajit.

2) The fishing mod for which 95% of content was other modders work, just compiled. Essentially, asset theft.

3) Various other weapons/armors that you had no way to acquire other than by direct console command.

All of the above are acceptable in free stuff you download off Nexus (with permission, for case #2). None of it is acceptable in a service you pay money to professional studio for. It was shoddy bullshit and they didn't even attempt to address many of the obvious issues that would arise, like content ownership in collaborative mods. The whole thing was a train wreck. The idea of paying money at all for premium modding work was not outrageous, and not the cause of the enterprise collapsing.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Scyantific posted:

JFYI, the next year of ESO updates is going back to 2nd Era Skyrim.

Doesn't matter though because dead game.

If the first that happens when you arrive in 2nd Era Skyrim is anything other than a Nord asking "seen any... ELVES" and belly laughing, then what are they even doing.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Cat Mattress posted:

In Daggerfall, you can only soul-trap monsters. Note that in Daggerfall, orcs are classified as monsters and can be soul-trapped.
In Morrowind, you are only limited to trapping monsters, people (now including orcs) are impossible to soul-trap.

Something something... WARP IN THE WEST.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

FBS posted:

lots of cowards ITT that play my favorite game the wrong way :colbert:

The wringing of hands about fatigue in Morrowind has always been funny to me because, while it's true it's probably not a good mechanic, it's also trivial to keep your fatigue maxed out without mods. A crazy amount of alchemy ingredients, including many of the most common ones, have the "restore fatigue" quality. A good number can restore and buff your fatigue. And these ingredients are very common. You find stacks of them in random barrels and crates. They grow in huge patches at every single farm/plantation. They grow all over the place outside. Alchemists and innkeepers sell them for a pittance. It is the simplest thing in the world to be drowning yourself in fatigue potions by the time you leave Seyda Neen. Plus, you're leveling your alchemy doing it! That's good!

Now you may be thinking "but Chomp, what if I don't want to use alchemy on this character?" Well let me tell you buddy, if you're playing Morrowind and you don't want to do alchemy, you are loving wrong.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

poisonpill posted:

“This bad mechanic is good because it is trivial to exploit around” is a time-honored hot take, but it is still wrong.

What about hot takes like "using alchemy is an exploit", or quoting the post that says verbatim "it's true it's probably not a good mechanic" and interpreting it as saying "this bad mechanic is good" ?

Where do those rank on the hot take scale.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

I think he meant the fact that potions are consumed in the menu, rather than actual combat time passing while the character stands there and drinks.

But this still looks like a good mod. I'd go with the Oblivion style option.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Fuligin posted:

I 100% cannot be assed to use potions in morrowind. gently caress mousing over a hundred identical goddamn bottles

You N'wah!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Fister Roboto posted:

I always beeline for the Boots of Blinding Speed and a 100% resist magic for 1 second spell.

Now this is pod racing!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Most of the time it's not even the view distance that cuts down visibility. It's that most paths in the game are in depressions. It's a really neat trick.

Remember when video games were designed intelligently???

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

chaosapiant posted:

Is that a screenshot using mods? I need a list of all the mods, that looks amazing!

No that's an official Bethesda promotional shot for the upcoming Morrowind VR.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Doc Hawkins posted:

you can just report a post with a good name suggestion with a report reason like "hey i think this would be a good thread title, please and thank you :)"

now literally everyone can do it.

Reported.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

John F Bennett posted:

But someone put you in the wrong cell in Oblivion.

~
pcb
ResetActors
~

Nope, that's where you're supposed to be!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

aas Bandit posted:

Does vanilla Oblivion give you a $ total on contents when you mouse over a chest/box before opening it, or is that something Nehrim added? If the latter, it's a nice touch. The only thing I'm really missing in Nehrim is some of the PC-specific UI improvement mods that I used on Oblivion. I'd pay money to be able to swap between weapon sets, or to be able to hammer a "sell poo poo" hotkey and not have to select and click "yes" on every item one-by-one. :smith:

It is important that you hear "that was a great deal" and "you've made a good bit of gold!" at least ten times for every visit to a merchant.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Doc Hawkins posted:

it's been years since the release of c0da and yet i am still not aware of any mods give vivec bomb-rear end titties, get it together developers

The ending of the words is TITTAYS.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

John F Bennett posted:

edit: poo poo, I'm reinstalling Skyrim for the umpteenth time. Somebody talk some sense into me.

Don't know your modding ability/desire, but I just posted a current modding guide to the mod thread yesterday. Check it out if you want!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3787350&pagenumber=250#post505872243

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is a good video game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Kamrat posted:

No, it's not, it can however be fun but I wouldn't call it good.

You elves are all the same.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Simsmagic posted:

Spells having their own dedicated button is a good thing actually

Press button, get spell. The button-awesome connection!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

axolotl farmer posted:

Potato faces and all!

The potato faces do have a certain nostalgic charm. But yeah if you're playing in 2020 (which I did!) I'd mod em. imo with Oblivion a short list of mods will do, and for visuals I'm putting "better faces" and "female armor re-texture" at the top of the list.

e: didn't think through what my post implies at first lol. For female armor mod I mean the kind that makes it look like actual real armor without a boob window. Not some cheesecake stuff.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 30, 2020

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Simsmagic posted:

I feel alone in that I think the top face overhaul for Oblivion actually looks really ugly and takes away from some of the experience

This one? https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/44676

If it's that one, I used it and liked it. I feel like the average NPC in-game doesn't look at outlandish as the preview pics.

Barnum Brown Shoes posted:

Now, what i really like is going on adventures with vilja in oblivion

Wow this is real! https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/28977

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 30, 2020

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Freakazoid_ posted:

A lot of goons mad that Oblivion is good despite its flaws.

We don't need to do this, man. I'm an Oblivion lover but people saying it's bad doesn't mean they are mad posting. They just haven't achieved Chim.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

BBJoey posted:

you literally watch an NPC fight and beat the final boss. is this a bit you're doing

Mankar Cameron is the final boss. The Dagon/Dragon (lol) showdown is the epilogue.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Is there a worse questline than skyrim thieves guild? Maybe the hortator/nerevarine section of Morrowind.

By the Nine Divines!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
One of the best things you can say about Skyrim is that it dumped many poorly implemented mechanics from the previous games (weird attribute multiplier, level scaling issues, major/minor skills interaction, many other things).

One of the worst things you can say about Skyrim is that it did not replace these mechanics with a better design, or often any design at all. It just got rid of them.

It is the penultimate "throw out the baby with the bathwater" design iteration and tbh I think it's the source of most arguments about how it ranks vs Morrowind/Oblivion. Many people rightly say it was good it got rid of badly implemented or designed features. Many people also rightly say it was bad they didn't replace those mechanics with anything, or replaced them with something extremely bland (but functional). Then these two groups talk past each other for eternity.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 1, 2020

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Simsmagic posted:

Speechcraft is useless because once you get access to spellmaking it's extremely cheap and easy to just make Charm 100 for 3 seconds which completely bypasses any disposition bullshit

You could say this about most things. Alchemy/spells can do basically do anything the other skills can. Conversely, the other skills can in some way do everything alchemy/spells can!

Open locks: Lockpicking/Alteration
Sneak around: Stealth/Illusion/Alchemy
Hurt things: Weapons/Destruction
Protect yourself: Armor/Block/Alteration/Alchemy/Conjuration
Heals/buffs: Restoration/Alchemy/Mysticism
Influencing people: Speechcraft/Illusion/Restoration/Alchemy
Run and jump: Athletics/Acrobatics/Restoration/Alchemy

This is not a problem, it's let's people play how they want to play. That's good! You have multiple options on how to approach most of the basic goals in the game, from "kill things" to "sneak" to "talk". Only a few skills have no real alternative. Conjuration/Mercantile/Armorer are really the only ones that do a basic thing that no other skill can. And most of those still have alternatives through items/NPCs/whatever.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

cargohills posted:

It’s not just that they’re small, but they’re very samey too. The environments have variation but the buildings are mostly small wooden things that I’m pretty sure come from the exact same tilesets or whatever.

I was about to chime in that I think the cities of Skyrim do a good job of having varied appearances and styles. Then I remembered that's my mods.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Doc Hawkins posted:

the worlds were getting geographically smaller with each game already (to their benefit), just have the whole game take place in the imperial city, bingo bongo

They could it call it Elder Scrolls: Arena!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

funmanguy posted:

Glad we can come together as friends and recognize oblivion as the best elder scroll

Pictured: me and funmanguy thinking about Oblivion together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

i think its about time the write some new scrolls

Young Scrolls