Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I would love it if for TES VI, there was some sort of completely optional small multiplayer aspect. Not an MMO, we already have ESO, but an option to play with at least 1 other person, if not 2 or 3. Storm a dungeon with a few friends, and then when you're done, go and terrorize some giants, or get them to help you build your home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

DStecks posted:

Finally giving Morrowind a try, immediately hooked. Much better than I was expecting, given how I had started this series with Skyrim and then found Oblivion massively alienating.

Well, for your sake, I hope you don't plan on studying political science before you finish. :colbert:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

My Q-Face posted:

There really wasn't a "go do whatever" moment in Oblivion though. In Skyrim, if you leave Raloff/Hadvar when he says "it's best we split up", then you can go on about your business and there's no real urgency to start the rest of the main quest. You can always go to visit their relative in Riverwood, but you can do that in your own time. In Morrowind you have to deliver the package to Balmora, but it's not urgent, and even when you get there, Caius tells you to go out and get some experience, or you can refuse to follow his orders and he says "come back when you're willing to follow my orders".

In Oblivion you have the amulet of kings and there's no natural pause in the main quest for you to say "well, I think I'll do something else", there's always the urgency of "The Mythic Dawn is about to do [X]". I mean, you can go do what you want, but that option isn't accounted for in the story itself.

On the flipside, with Oblivion, once you rescue Martin, you can start running around doing other quests while you have the advantage of an essential and incredibly powerful companion and can make mincemeat of all of the other quests, just by taking the long way back to Weynon Priory.

You're being nitpicky, though. Of course there was a 'go do whatever' moment in Oblivion, which is exactly the moment that the dude you quoted described. He obviously meant that it's the moment where you literally didn't have to go down a certain hallway, or kill a certain enemy to physically advance. Yes, we know that there's story poo poo to do once you get out, but you literally can start walking anywhere you want, and that's what he meant. :colbert:

As for my 'go anywhere' moment, I still have Daggerfall for that :allears: I know it's empty as hell, but I'm really hoping that once that Unity project really takes off and finishes the main game, there'll be mods out the rear end filling up the whole game with content.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Skyrim mod question, sorry if this is the wrong thread (it doesn't say that I can't discuss mods, just that it's not only mods in here); I have vanilla Skyrim installed on my PC, no DLC purchased for it. What are some of the best quality-of-life and immersion mods available that don't require any of the add-ons? I don't need some sort of crazy level 99 sperg 'YOU HAVE TO CONTINUALLY EAT BUT YOU ALSO NEED TO BUTCHER YOUR OWN MEAT, AND CURE IT, AND-...' mods, but having to be concerned about the cold would be neat.

Also, if I'm going to be using a controller, do I need that UI overhall? I had no problem with the menu system when I played the game on 360.

EDIT: VVV Will do, thanks!

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 11, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Pikestaff posted:

So that guy who made a surf version of Nerevar Rising is back

https://soundcloud.com/musicbyallinall/the-wave-most-surfed

This is so beautiful.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Entropy238 posted:

I've tried playing Daggerfall before but without some of the modern conveniences I've found it to be impossible. Daggerfall Unity seems to be doing really well and I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed they make it to the finish line.

Speaking of which, Gavin, the dev behind Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity (for modders/developers) has recently completed a HUGELY important part of the port/whatever it is. He finished the main quest, squashed major bugs, and did some important fixes along the way. For anyone reading this not aware, Daggerfall Unity is a porting effort involving bringing the game kicking and screaming and crashing into 2017-2018, with as many QoL additions as possible. Don't want to click and drag to swing your sword? There'll be an upcoming option that disables that, allowing you to simply click to hit. Want to use your scrollwheel to quickly scan your inventory? Done. Want to see all of your stuff arranged in a smaller grid, so you get a better 'at a glance' view of your gear/items? Done. Mouseover details, WASD native controls, smoother movement/action, actual mountains and hilly geography, and best of all, MUCH better dungeon map support... this is unofficially Daggerfall HD, and even in its current state, it's excellent.

Even the mods so far are wonderful. Better textures, some bump-mapping (I think, though I could have this wrong), model replacement, real-time lighting. And the guy making it is extremely friendly and dedicated, detailing his work so far on his site as well as via twitter, which is nice.

I'm gushing, but I think this is really the only thread that fits for discussion about it.

Some links:

http://www.dfworkshop.net/
https://twitter.com/gav_clayton
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS2SjqpEQtQ

This one's old, but still good, if you haven't checked it out before:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPwGXf8y6XA

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I know mods won't work on the Switch version, but does anyone know if they (Bethesda) will at least be putting in the upcoming survival mode?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

Tbf to Skyrim, I'm pretty sure everything between steel and daedric/glass being useless has been a problem for the last 3 TES games. No clue if that was the case for daggerfall and further back.

A bunch of materials were great in Daggerfall, it was mostly everything below silver or whatever was the lowest tier to fight other-worldly enemies (ghosts, imps, harpies, werewolves, etc) that were useless unless you're fighting humans or vermin.

You get some mithril or daedric poo poo, and you are set, my friend.

I love Daggerfall.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

FELD1 posted:

I always re-roll until I spawn with the ebony dagger at the beginning. Makes the early game a little more bearable. I guess it also helps that nightblade is my fav class.

With the Unity Daggerfall project coming along nicely, I'm looking forward to playing a legit full-on mage. No more spellsword or battlemage for me.

With regards to the ebony dagger, if you're referring to the imp in the privateers hold being unkillable with anything else, I just run past it :smug:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Goa Tse-tung posted:

"I dont use mods, I just CHIM"

How is this pronounced, anyway? I always think it's "keem", am I wrong?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

funmanguy posted:

I like the games fine without mods, except things to fix crashes and save file corrupts.

Yeah, I don't understand why this is such a hard concept for people to grasp, but then again... goons.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

prometheusbound2 posted:

I haven't played Daggerfall since before Morrowind came out, and I suspect playing it out now would be an awful experience, if only because I remember the user controls being archaic. In many ways, Daggerfall isn't a good game by contemporary standards, and I think Bethesda's decision to go with smaller, more focused, more detailed game worlds is a good one.

But I think there are a lot of threads in Daggerfall that were only partially developed that could now be fully realized. In some ways, Daggerfall felt more like a world that the character was living in. Witch's covens weren't just dungeons, they were potential sources for new quests and artifacts. The game featured holidays that the world reacted to in a rudimentary fashion (I know there's a mod for Skyrim that does this now.) The game featured a pretty detailed faction system. Not just the guilds you can join (and the guild quests in Skyrim are a big step back from Morrowind or even Oblivion) but as to commoners, merchants, aristocrats etc. Daggerfall didn't do much with them, but I suspect Bethesda has many more resources now than it did. Even small bits of incidental dialog where commoners reacted differently to you as opposed to aristocrats would be pretty fantastic. I think the a lot of the code is still left over, as I know Skyrim sorts different NPCs into different factions. It seems to be a design choice.

Bethesda seems committed to boring gameplay design. I love Skyrim now, but only got few hours into it at release. It'd mods like SPERG or Ordinator that kept me coming back to it. And Fallout 4 is the most dissapointing triple-A RPG that i've ever played (I haven't played Andromeda). Skyrim at release was the foundation for a great game. Fallout 4 was so poor, I don't see how even heavy modding could fix it. Quest design is Fallout 4's more glaring deficiency, and to be honest it's been bad in Bethesda games for quite some time--even Morrowind pales in comparison to Arcanum or the BIS/Obsidian Fallouts. Fallout 4 stuck out like a sore thumb compared to New Vegas or the original Fallouts, so perhaps its less jarring in the TES games. Still, If Fallout 4->Skyrim is how TES6 will be, I'm concerned. If Oblivion->Skyrim is how TES6 will be, I'm extremely eager.

You really should take a gander at the Daggerfall Workshop. Dude has been consistently hitting targets that he's set, with a few modders actually helping him skip ahead to things on his roadmap that weren't scheduled to be worked on yet. And if the controls and general jankiness of Daggerfall were preventing you from going back to it, well, all of that is virtually fixed now.

Direct link to the roadmap on his site.

This is like Daggerfall HD and since DF was always one of my favourite games, I appreciate the hell out of his work and the progress made so far. He's more than proven that he's not going to be giving up on this.

Also, there's room for mods and simple quest creation, so once the game is fully ready, the modders will be going nuts with it all, even moreso than they are now.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

prometheusbound2 posted:

I'm less interested in Daggerfall HD and more interested in a game that develops the ideas that Daggerfall introduced by failed to develop. Having language skills in an RPG is awesome! But Daggerfall didn't do anything interesting with them. The Elder Scrolls have never really had developed dialog trees, which is where the most obvious application would be, but there could still be other uses. Legacy of the Dragonborn has an archaeology module that I really enjoy, I could see it overlapping with that. The game tracked all sorts of factions for the various NPCs, but the faction dynamics didn't really matter. Even different incidental barks can do a lot for immersion-one of my favorite mods for Skyrim is Guard Dialog Overhaul, which just changes the one liners from the guards to be more reactive to the player. From what I understand, all the functionality is already in the game, the modder just tweaked some of the variables to add variety.

I certainly get that. What I appreciate about DF Workshop's version is that I can go back to this game I love with updated controls (WASD + mouselook), almost no jank (aside from stuff that was actually designed specifically into the game, like the multiple interaction modes), and then benefit from potentially many, MANY mods that could add exactly what you're talking about here.

Or I could fly from Daggerfall to Sentinel in a jet :toot:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

The original Daggerfall had mouse look. :colbert:

Yes, I'm aware. I should have put in that the new one has "regular-thinking person's mouselook". There's even a 'click to attack' mode now! :toot: I really do appreciate the idea of moving my mouse the way I want to attack, I think it's really neat, but goddamn, sometimes I just wanna click a motherfucker to death.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

My Michael Kirkbride story is that my cousin married a guy with that name, and later he apparently pretended to be gay so that they would get divorced.

I mean, what's the deeeaaaaaal with Michael Kirkbrides? Anyway, it'd be really neat if they were the same dude, but I know that they are not.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I just realized that if there were any other water-based elves in TES, they'd be known as the mermer. :rimshot:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I still think Vivec knowing that he was in a game (or rather, some sort of controlled, repeating, constructed reality) was super neat.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I want a quest that involves murdering that smarmy gently caress in Whiterun who scoffs at your apparent infrequent visits to the Cloud District, which, if I'm not mistaken, is up a single loving staircase two feet from him.

Edit: Sorry, it's apparently 2-3 staircases.

I miss Morrowind's towns.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The dude even lives in an inn.

Maybe it's an appropriate thing to say to you when you first get to town, but by the time you're landed nobility, and have either saved or helped usurp the Jarl's throne, he can probably cool it.

Or, if, y'know... You take a three-second walk.

I understand that the scaling is all hosed up in TES, but at least hide the part of the city that people reference (as if it's some big deal) in another cell, behind a loading screen, if necessary.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I wanna play with a Dwemer puzzle box.

Also, I say (or read it as) "Dwee-mur".

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Just popping in to post once again about Daggerfall Unity. Modder Hazelnut has put together a new guild, the Archeologist guild! :toot:

http://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=888

Strong focus on languages and non-combat solutions for quests. Granted, right now, that means a lot of fetch quests, but really, what else do archeologists do?

They've added a neat locator item that will show you where the item is through the walls. There's a usage cost, though, and I think it needs balancing as of writing this.

I love Daggerfall, and DFU is blowing my mind every time something like this is added. :swoon:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

John F Bennett posted:

One of these years I will complete Skyrim.

Maybe even Oblivion!

I've been playing Elder Scrolls games since 96, with Daggerfall. Hundreds of hours put in, none of them wasted. I've literally never beaten any of them. I don't even care. That's why I love them.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I feel weird in not really having paid much attention to any of the politics of Skyrim :ohdear:

It's not that I can't, I'm sure I'd get super involved if I took the initiative, but when I load up the game, I'm WAY more interested in the 500 things that pop up as silly time wasters.

"I wonder if that fall would kill me... I should go check."

"I'm going to drag that giant's corpse to my house's front yard, it'll look good next to the front door."

"Hey Jarl.. gently caress yooooooooou!" *shoots bolts of lighting at everyone*

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

E: f;b ^^^ :argh:

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

ding ding ding

read a book or something

Like one from the Mages College. :getin:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

I'd be fine with procedural content if Bethesda wasn't really bad at making exploring said content rewarding. It's always an open easy lock scroll, calipers, wonderglue, or 50 caps.

I actually really love Daggerfall's procedurally generated dungeons. It was the only game where heading into one actually made me wonder if I'd make it out.

And I'm not even referring to the bugs and incorrectly placed assets (key for a lock behind the locked door, etc). Even the proper dungeons were goddamned dangerous.

Morrowind had a few places like that, but after a few playthroughs, you'd automatically know your way around. Aside from Privateers Hold, Mantellan Crux, and a few other places, good luck memorizing your path im DF's dungeons.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

whydirt posted:

In a surprise twist, Starfield is just a space-themed HD reskin of Daggerfall, complete with space ghosts in the main city screaming “Vengeance!”

I'd love it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ojjeorago posted:

Only in the main city? I’d prefer them coast to coast.

:golfclap:

As a die-hard fan of both things mentioned, I really appreciated this post.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

poisonpill posted:

You are an odd fellow, Vivec, but I must admit: You CHIM a good Lorkhan.

Vivec! The temple's on fire!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Every EW game deserves to have a spell maker.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

One thing that really bugged me in Skyrim was that there was only one chapter of each guild. Aside from the DB or maybe the Thieves Guide, I think there should always be chapters, spread over the province. :colbert:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Jeff Goldblum posted:

It's me, I'm the guy who spent weeks chopping wood and farming potatoes for my gold, and I am offended at Brynjolf. gently caress that guy.

Also, consider it the fault of the writing staff who decided that it was less interesting and involving for a player to just go into a guild hall and humbly request to join a mysterious faction they know nothing about. Skyrim hamhandedly ropes you into actively trying to care by turning each one into some rite of passage, proving yourself, poo poo. The Thieves Guild insinuates that you're already an rear end in a top hat and can't wait to count some coin and screw over a Dark Elf that you could potentially be helping, the Dark Brotherhood puts you in the employ of a delusional child whose home you just broke into and rewards you by forcing you to kill a bunch of hostages, the Mage's College and Fighter's G-Companions almost hit the norm, but the Companions try to grab you early with the wild redhead fighting giants and the Mage's College, much like the "Bard's "College" " are getting pumped by every guard, merchant and bandit in town. It's all very active advertisement, which might have worked on some of us the first time, but really cheapens the experience in the long run.

Then again, we are talking about a game where less than a day's worth of questing will usually put you in full control of the entire faction.

I agree with all of this, especially the Companion's setup, making something previously special like lycanthropy into something mandatory. Cool, that kind of makes it boring after the first little while.

Same goes for running the college.

Anyway, your post is way better being read in Jeff Goldblum's voice.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Goa Tse-tung posted:

following this dude on twitter has been pure joy, god bless him

Seconding this, it's just good news after good news.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I appreciated the concept and execution of Yes Man. It was lore-friendly and foolproof.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Kamrat posted:

I'd only be okay with this if Daggerfall 2 is just as big as the first one.

The best Daggerfall 2 is DFU. :colbert:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Kaz Hirai has joined Bethesda.

"Cliff Riiiiiiiiiidge Racerrrrrrrr!"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Unormal posted:

Look at all these old rear end cynics not excite af about the announcement of a new elder scrolls. I will await it as I awaited the shiny Daggerfall box at Babbages, for so many years.

I still have my shiny Daggerfall box :toot:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

mitochondritom posted:

I remember seeing that screenshot back in 2005 or whenever and thinking it looked loving incredible, like games can't do this incredible. How naive I was.

I remember noticing how the shackles and chains in the prison at the beginning of Oblivion actually moved with normal physics :stare:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

What's this?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

Honestly I'm more curious about Starfield.

It's be neat if it was somehow also in the Elder Scrolls universe.

"Coming up, if you look to your left, we're going to be blasting past Nirn..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

It's been a couple years since I've played ESO but it seemed alright. I only really played solo and had fun.