Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Could be Dishonored 2 or Doom 4. Or all three as they must be showing a few games if it's a conference.

Every time there's a Bethesda announcement and it's not a TES or FO game, I feel like the company is just loving with me.

We're way overdue for Bethesda Game Studios title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

SunAndSpring posted:

Maybe the extra development time will do good for them. I feel as though they're taking their sweet time to make a new game simply because Skyrim was rushed out too fast and it didn't have as much as they wanted in it.

Agreed. I just wish they'd done a New Vegas-like game with the same game engine and a third party developer in the mean time. Optimistically assuming the next FO/TES game releases sometime next year, that's going to be about five years since the last Bethesda-developed game came out.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Sky Shadowing posted:

But I can't shake the idea that Bethesda, since they appear to be taking their sweet time on the next game, may feel more comfortable having their debut on the new consoles be TES.

That would be nice for sure. But it seems like their tactic is to make a bunch of engine improvements (ie. Morrowind -> Oblivion) and then they release two games with it (Oblivion and FO3). Probably gives them more bang for their buck.

And it's not like a new Fallout game wouldn't sell like hotcakes. I would (sadly) be pretty surprised if their next game is TESVI as it would decimate TESO, and I just can't believe Zenimax would allow it.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

axolotl farmer posted:

Does the Thalmor have any redeeming qualities.

They have a lot of nice gear you can loot from their corpses that, gee I just don't know how they got there officer, and sell for a tidy profit. :shrug:

Rhjamiz posted:

They are also the third incarnation of the Dominion to have risen up. Not to mention their stylish clothes, their desire for racial purity....

The Elder Scrolls Discussion: Thalmor are literally Hitler

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Chief Savage Man posted:

The PC UI was inexcusable, I'll give you that.

PC UI wasn't great, movement felt (and still feels) a tiny bit stilted with kb+m compared to an analogue controller, and you really should have had the ability to create more hotkeys... but all in all it's not like Skyrim was a catastrophe on PC at launch. I have played some terrible ports in my day and Skyrim was barely on the spectrum.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Does the bucket-head trick still work?

Put a bucket on the brother's head. No one can accuse you of murder if all they can see is bucket.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Same. It doesn't surprise me, really, as the TES -> Fallout -> TES -> Fallout pattern is pretty well established at this point. Although if they keep taking longer and longer between each game it'll be 2017 or later before we see another TES.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Been loving around on legendary for Skyrim and I think I'm gonna go back down to adept. Legendary is doable but it's not fun. It's just me hiding behind Lydia plinking away at enemy health for five minutes and if I take even one glancing blow I'm dead. I did a Master run at some point before Legendary was added and I seem to recall that being the same thing.

Is Adept what most of you guys play on? I'd like the game to not be a complete breeze but I never play these games for the combat since the combat is not all that good so maybe I should just stick with it.

I find that master provides a pretty solid balance. The fights that should be challenging are, but a single low level bandit with fur armor and an iron sword isn't an unstoppable killing machine. Getting hit still hurts and you'll need to use potions or resto relatively often.

Adept feels way too easy to me, as you become a big ol' damage sponge.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

I remember Master loving my poo poo up too at times but not quite to this extent. I don't know, I think I might keep trying legendary just because it's at least causing me to be more creative in solving combat. I've been having a decent time but it wears on me at times fighting these ridiculous damage sponge enemies. My summoning is getting better and I continue to perk up my skills so I'm sure it will get at least a little easier. I should probably invest in crafting and enchanting too because the boosts would make a big difference. I don't want to use melee weapons too often except when I'm completely out of mana because I really want to focus on maging it up this time.

Yeah, the bold bit is why master is fun. Especially so if you're playing a cloth wearing character (which I often do as well): poo poo on master will gently caress you up if you screw around and don't use your surroundings/all of your skills to your advantage, but without the stupidly huge HP pools for enemies. When I killed Krosis on my most recent stealthy character it was a challenge to be sure and I had to use my best arrows and potions, but it was achievable and it didn't take all goddamn night.

The way I look at it:

Novice/apprentice = how you should play the game if you're new, or super drunk or stoned

Adept = how you should play the game if you want to focus on one or two combat skills at most (ie. "I walk into a crowd of mobs with heavy armor and just swing my sword") and just want a chill time

Expert = what you set your difficulty to if a certain fight on Master is giving you a tough time and you're tired of it

Master = how you should play the game if you want a challenge that requires you use all of your abilities without making it feel like the game is cheating

Legendary = how you should play the game if you're a masochist/completionist/super-high level and nothing is challenging anymore

Of course this is all just imo. A buddy of mine prefers to play on adept as a stealth archer because he loves one-shotting people and it never gets old to him, but it definitely does for me. To each his own :shrug:

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Melee is a hell of a lot more fun with a controller, but I think that's the only edge consoles might have over PC's for any TES game. Now a days you can just hook up a 360 controller to a PC so :shrug:

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Speaking of combat difficulty, what's the current hotness for making combat deadly for everyone involved? I haven't played for a good year or so and thus am a little out of touch with the modding scene. I like how vulnerable you feel on master/legendary difficulty, but to kill a bandit I don't want to have to shoot him with ten arrows and then smack him with a sword twenty times before setting him on fire for a half a minute.

Requiem has always been hilarious to me and I do not understand how anyone could possibly enjoy it.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Scyantific posted:

SkyTweak has options to increase the damage that NPCs do to you as well as the damage that you do to NPCs.

Thanks! I also just now realized I didn't post in the Skyrim modding thread, so thanks for the input.

Man Whore posted:

are you playing on legendary or something? Like the worst it got for me in my last game was having to pump like 8 arrows into the highest level guys but I was 1 or two shotting most dudes.

Master or Legendary usually. Once you're level 30+ you're one shotting most dudes anyways, but especially in the early game a novice necromancer (for example) can be a huge pain in the rear end because their piddly Frostbite will destroy you in seconds while yours does nothing by comparison due to damage scaling.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Lycus posted:

If you want to be an overpowered as gently caress sneak, Illusion.

After playing this combo myself for the first time in Skyrim, I really want to go back and play Oblivion with the same combo because it's effin' ridiculous.

Speaking of, does anyone have a link for the Oblivion modding thread? I can't find it in my bookmarks for some reason. I'd really love to play the game again but want to find the simplest, least intrusive number of mods possible to fix leveling.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

maskar's oblivion overhaul, replaces fcom and ooo and makes the game playable and is customizable via an ini that it loads. It adds new creatures but if you don't want to encounter one of them just find it in the ini and set the 1 to a 0 and you're done. It's a really well made mod.

Nice, thanks much!

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Lycus posted:

Stealth archers are the worst character against dragons though virtually invincible against everything else.

Worth mentioning once you get the slow time zoom perk in the Archery tree every single fight becomes hilariously easy. Even if you can't stealth you can still abuse geometry to avoid ranged attacks and backpedal and turn dragons into pincushions.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

No regenerating health might finally make alchemy worthwhile outside of abusing the fortify enchanting/smithing potions!

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Apocalypse apparently has a Mark & Recall spell, though I haven't found it yet. I've been having a lot of fun using the fully buffed form of the Longstride spell which increases your movement speed to such a degree that you can run from Solitude to Winterhold in about five minutes.

Vanilla definitely suffers a bit from repeated trip fatigue after awhile if you don't use fast travel.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

When things fall over, the physics engine doesn't immediately send them spiraling into the stratosphere.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

A lot of people in this thread who describe Oblivion as trash probably still probably sunk 100 to 2,000 hours into it.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I reinstalled Skyrim SE the other day and my character made no sound effects. I tried probably half a dozen fixes to no effect, and sadly uninstalled. It was probably the best result for my life schedule, tbh.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

IMO all you need for Oblivion if you’ve never played it/haven’t played it recently is a mod to fix leveling and Darn UI. The leveling mod can even be optional if you’re just smart about how you build your class, but the UI hasn’t aged well.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

You see, ladders are unnecessary in a world where horses can climb near-vertical surfaces.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I'm replaying Oblivion now, and once you get past the potato faces and the atrocious combat (besides magic, which I agree is superior to Skyrim), it's a fun world to explore with interesting characters and great quests, but boy is it ultra jank by today's standards. Archery is just straight up terrible – arrows fly so slowly it feels like I'm firing foam darts out of a broken nerf gun (then again I have terrible archery skills so maybe that's to be expected).

kedo fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I just installed a mod list of like ~867 some mods and I had to stop/restart it a few times to get it to go all the way through. It still took forever, and I had to grab a Nexus subscription because manually clicking download on 867 mods was going to make me pull my hair out.

e: But it is still a super cool program.