Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Pikestaff posted:

Yeah, speaking of the Dwemer, let's do that. I want a TES game where the Dwemer still exist and you can go around being a Mesopotamian engineer elf, finding a type of zero still to be discovered, and eventually uploading your soul into a giant robot.

I'm gonna post what I always post in these threads.

TES: War of the First Council - return to the best TES setting, playable (?) dwemer, the option to take sides in the war, chill with the Triubunal and Voryn Dagoth, Mount & Blade style combat and army battles. Game ends at the battle of Red Mountain. Take my money, my body is ready.

Other dumb ideas that will never happen:
The Akaviri Invasion
6th era robot elf moonbases
TES VI: Pyandonea
Anything intersting centered around the beast races

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

I mean, I wouldn't want Bethesda to touch the dwemer, but hypothetically I could see it work if done by someone competent.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

I always took the essential flag as being less about protecting NPCs from the player and more about protecting them from each other.

Nah, it's to protect the devs from working too much.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Nasgate posted:

Skyrim forces you to start the thieves guild instead of letting you find it. Regardless of if you are a regal warrior of good and have never crouched in 40 hours of gameplay.

I honestly miss the mages guild of cyrodil. Sure it was a pain, but it makes sense that you wouldn't want any idiot to have access to the powerful magic.

And then you have skyrim where like 10 people are affiliated with the college, you have political mages at each hold. And because there's no requirements, half of skyrim apparently knows magic.

I agree that guilds in Skyrim are a joke, but it's kinda consistent when you look at it. You get to be Archmage by doing a few fetchquests and killing a dude, but it doesn't really mean anything, because the Mage Guild is hilariously inept. They have no power over anything, because every idiot bandit and forsworn can set people on fire or raise the dead with no consequence. Nobody really does anything during the questline, all this time you're basically working for a different 'real' Mage Guild. Sure, you can be Archmage, no one gives a poo poo except your dumb student buddies.

Same with the Thieves Guild. They must be really desperate and approach anyone looking dumb enough to join, because every once in a while you'll see a super obvious thief getting clobbered to death by guards in broad daylight in the middle of Riften.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Next TES is gonna be a roguelite dating sim taking place entirely in the Curio Manor.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Moryrie posted:

Climbing.

Looks like someone never tried running towards a slope while hopping like a maniac.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

axolotl farmer posted:

But both games suffer from generic loot. There are mods that change that, but you rarely feel like you get something worthwhile for clearing a dungeon.

Tbh, that's more of an issue of combat being the central, if not only, gameplay element in all TES games. If it's not a better sword, better pants, or material to make better pants, then it's essentially junk.

What've you got there, a piece of machinery from an ancient race that vanished mysteriously a thousand years ago? I guess you could smelt it into a codpiece or something. What's that, a manual describing the creation of an artificial god that coud break reality itself? Cool, here's 100 gold.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Reposting these from the other TES thread. There's plenty of ways you could make a place like Hammerfell rad as fuk, none of which will make it into the game. It's probably better to expect boring dunes and generic Aladdin architecture.

These are all from Socotra btw

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

vug posted:

The big problem with bleak falls barrow is it buggers up the story if you go there before nerd wizard guy asks you to go there (by going into the riverwood trader instead of running straight to whiterun), because you never see the mysterious woman come to collect it

i'm fairly sure i've seen reviews where that happened to them and they say that the dragonstone is a pointless maguffin that has nothing to do with the rest of the story

This is a good thing actually, because in every single other dungeon in the game, if there is a quest thing inside, it will be completely locked or walled off until you talk to the right dude. Sure, they could have laid it out better so that you have a better chance of getting the encounter, but talking to npcs to unlock quests is annoying and lazy.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

The only acceptable solution is enchanting a pair of exquisite pants with Open while being high as fuk on fortify potions.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Berke Negri posted:

Morrowind Solstheim is basically a real big pristine forest with not a lot going on but really annoyingly tough enemies everywhere so no, not crazy at all.

Maybe one day I'll actually stick around long enough in a Morrowind playthrough to actually get to and do Tribunal, usually I work my way through the main quest and maybe dink around in Solstheim a bit but that's usually about it.

Lol, if you think Solstheim had annoyingly tough enemies and a map with nothing going on, boy howdy are you in for a treat with Tribunal. Hope you like sewers.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

I want tes6 to be a Mount&Blade/Morrowind mashup set during the War of the First Council. You do quests to secure alliances and supplies for the war effort, run expeditions to recover and unlock artifacts, take part in large scale battles and eventually rise in the ranks to build up your own holdings, command troops and form your own minor House. You lead the troops alongside your pal Nerevar, or maybe against him? Kagernac is a romanceable npc, so is Divayth Fyr.

Game culminates with the Battle of Red Mountain. Final battle against Nerevar or Voryn Dagoth, depending on which side you chose. The main events at Red Mountain still happen offscreen to preserve ambiguity, so the ending sequence is your character dealing with the aftermath and picking which side of the story they believe.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This is all fine, but if it's not open-world people will riot.

I'm sure there's ways to make it open world, get on it Todd.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Soricidus posted:

Didn’t you get the memo? Time only moves forwards (please ignore teso it doesn’t count)

I'm willing to settle for full on sixth era C0da space fuckery.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Yakuza 0 style game taking place in Vivec City in which Maraander Rivulu, a young tough in Cammona Tong crosses paths with Glaor Maorven who runs a cornerclub in Hlaalu Waistworks that is also connected to a Morag Tong guildhouse.

Notable quests include sneaking into Jobasha's to steal a copy of Lusty Argonian Maid for a young dunmer boy.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Haruharuharuko posted:

Ok good to know also

I killed the dark brotherhood guy outside the first cave next to seyda neen and flipped his gear to the vendor who immediately wore it making it non buy backable and making him look like some kind of steampunk gimp.

Also finding a locked trapped chest with nothing in it god this game.

Sell him an amulet with constant effect drain health and you'll get your stuff back.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Lt. Lizard posted:

*damage health. Drain health only applies damage once each time when you equip it, damage health is constant effect. You use drain effects to artificially lower your skills for infinite leveling with easy recovery and damage effects for NPC murders. :science:

I remember this despite not touching Morrowind for almost 15 years, send help.

drat, there goes my morrowind cred :/

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

I will be forever baffled by why they removed spellcrafting and nerfed enchantment in the later games, when it was probably the single most fun and cool feature in an rpg at the time (and probably since).

Yea, why would I want to make myself into an insane floating magical murdegod, sounds boring as gently caress. Bethesda, please just give me some corridors to run through.

You can't even say it's balance, because none of these games are balanced anyway, and honestly, does anyone care? Yes, you can break the game, but breaking the game can be the game, man

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

It's not even like you could just press button and break it right away, to do the constant effect enchantments in Morrowind required a lot of prep and being able to kill one of the strongest mobs in the base game. You could steal the soul gems, but that also required prep. Getting to that point pretty much gave you an entire playthrough worth of game anyway.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

CottonWolf posted:

I’d go as far to say that with Morrowind, breaking the game is the game.

I would do unspeakable things for a new take on this idea, where you're actually rewarded for exploiting the game's various systems and reach new heights of power. Something like that Amazing Cultivator Sim game, but as an open-world rpg in a fully realised interesting setting like TES.

Todd, please, let me have fun, I'm begging you

CottonWolf posted:

It’s removal hurts worldbuilding too. The Telvanni having houses you can only navigate if you can levitate tells you a lot about their elitist arseholery without requiring words. (They’re still the best house. Telvanni forever.)

That one scripted levitation platform in Dragonborn felt limp-dicked as hell, lmao

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Big Scary Owl posted:

Dagoth Ur has been defeated, I've finally finished the main quest after all these years :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR-K2rUP86M

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

wish there was a way to play ESO as a single player game without all the mmo bullshit

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

reignofevil posted:

Just buy Morrowind again. Don't even think about it just do it.

In my 36 years living on this planet this has never failed me.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

lobster22221 posted:

Starfield is actually elder scrolls 6's working title. Yes it takes place in space, no Bethesda doesn't care that it defies lore.

This will be the spelljammer of the elderscrolls series.

6th Age space c0da TES would own extremely, so it will never happen

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

sponges posted:

I’m playing Morrowind for the first time (Vanilla on Xbox :downs:) and man this game doesn’t gently caress around. No hand holding and if you don’t cheese the game it makes you earn everything. Combat is atrocious at first but it feels so good when you level up a bit. I don’t know why they made the standard walking speed so slow.

Why are my summoned creatures so worthless?

Summons are kinda meh until you get Golden Saints, which exist to feed your soul gems and create permanent enchantments. But the summoned weapons from the conjuration school can be pretty great in the early game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Guildenstern Mother posted:

They're pretty much always great. If there's an axe that does as much damage as the summoned one I can't think what it is.

Yeah, damage-wise they're just daedric weapons, which are the best weapons in the game, with the upside that they weigh nothing. The downside is that you can't put any enchantments on them, which becomes important mid- to late-game when you want to start making crazy overpowered magic (and they're time- and mana-limited).