Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

I really wanna see Elsweyr get the next game, although it's almost certainly gonna be Hammerfell or Alinor. Khajiit are pretty cool in the lore.

Vampires are also cool in the lore, but we all know how dawnguard turned out.

I always figured akavir was literally another continent. And that it was probably just the atlantean, levitating, necromancer slug/frog dudes keeping another invasion from coming. That or the constant warfare between the snakes and cat dragons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Who's Kirkbride and why do people care when he's obviously making poo poo up out of thin air?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I think the reason I liked Oblivion and Morrowind more in the main quest department is the escalation.

In Morrowind, you're another rear end in a top hat unloaded off a ship, trying to survive. And your first important contact is a single member of the blades with limited resources. It takes a long time for anyone to believe you're important.

In Oblivion, Patrick Stewart dreams about you, but elsewise you're just an rear end in a top hat trying to get by and fill a man's dying wish. And Martin is still technically the hero, you're just his champion.

In Skyrim it takes two missions before people are like "you're the dragonborn!" And even though you save the world three times you don't even get a loving statue.

Honestly though my favorite part of Oblivion is how they got rid of him so they could advance the plots. The nerevar disappearing for no reason hinted in the game was kind of BS. The Champion becoming a god owns and was gameplay.

That said. A)where's my Jyggalag quests? and B) How are they going to remove the Dragonborn?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

B) They have a convenient out in Hermaes Mora, assuming that they want to go that route. Otherwise, it's not like the Dragonborn has any kind of special immunity to death. In fact, I'd go so far to say that dying of old age is the least common cause of death among the dragonborn.

I totally forgot all of the poo poo from the solstheim expansion because it was so meh writing wise. Especially since all the Morrowind stuff was beautiful and interesting looking so I didn't care what people were saying.

I agree the Dragonborn should either still be alive or play a bigger role. He is a large weapon that's now on the side of the Empire. Or at least against the Thalmor. Which completely changes the political standings. Especially if they include the current emporers assassination.

That said. Dragon shouts are just medium powers essentially. Reusable like lesser powers, but slightly more restricted. They should just add in divine quests for shout equivalents.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Bholder posted:

The other would be Hammerfell, it is an easy setting, different yet based on the real world. But the real reason is after all this snow in Skyrim I would love to have some magical desert adventures and a possible Stros M'kai expansion with pirates and poo poo.

With how well they handled snow and blizzards in skyrim. I would be heartbroken by their attempt at dessert terrain.

Personally. I hope they don't release any PR until ES6 is completely done. Them hyping up a game, and promising a too early release date has screwed Skyrim and Oblivion both. Idk about Morrowind, I wasn't into Xbox or PC then.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

ceaselessfuture posted:

Honestly, Morrowind is probably the most playable TES game completely vanilla. I tend to only use UI mods and some quality of life mods for Oblivion and Skyrim and Morrowind doesn't even need those.

This honestly. I tried starting Morrowind with just a few basic mods and it still crashed. Then one day I started playing sans mods and never looked back. Knowing that your attacks are dice rolls helps for the first 30 minutes before you skill up enough to hit consistently. And the broken amount of powerful loot makes up for the poor leveling system.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I wish they did thieves guild like Oblivion brotherhood. Aka when you steal enough poo poo, you get contacted. And preferably threatened. Like if you don't join them and pay a cut to the guild, they steal your stolen items and gold in your sleep.

Man I miss waking up to lucien's face.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
The fact that only one person commented on Brynjolf talking to you is what was awful writing. That and that there was no quest line to boot the thieves guild out. The same problem I had with the fighters guild in Oblivion. Don't give the player a faction that would reasonably hire them and make them unjoinable.

In fact, Skyrim does this a lot. Thalmor if you're an elf/Khajiit. Forsworn if you're a nord. You can't replace one of the several jarls that it'd make sense to.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

The forsworn were mostly bretons, but they were very open minded as to whom they would let join them, so yeah you should have been able to join them in Skyrim. If it wasn't for the facg that they were murderous daedra worshippers, they could have come across as heroic rebels.

As for the Thalmor, I can't see them letting anyone but a Somerset altmer join them, they're just too fanatically nihilistic.

yeah, they really dropped the ball with so many factions where you could just say gently caress you to the current established governments. Join forsworn, take over all the holds.

I meant more of the Thalmor hiring you for dirty work, not really letting you fully join ranks. You could've betrayed the college of Winterhold, and maybe do assassinations of Stormcloak generals/jarls.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

bloodclot posted:

That doesn't make sense though, the Forsworn are pretty upfront about what they think of Nords. "Nord skull makes a fine axe blade. That's about all they're good for."

I'll be honest. I forgot they're bretton. They die just as fast as nords and look just as similar to imperials.

The man races really need an appearance rework.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

omg chael crash posted:

I really want to play Morrowind or Oblivion or Skyrim but I gave my 360 away and my motherboard is being, uh, unresponsive.

Thanks, thread

Good news! There's an Oblivion game for mobile.

Speaking of, has anyone here played the travel games?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Sky Shadowing posted:

I had forgotten that TES Travels existed, so I had to add them to the OP just because I could.

Just a quick search revealed a couple websites with free java games that had them. Idk how legit they are and how fun emulating the appropriate java would be.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

But this is exactly what happens :confused:

Skyrim forces you to start the thieves guild instead of letting you find it. Regardless of if you are a regal warrior of good and have never crouched in 40 hours of gameplay.

I honestly miss the mages guild of cyrodil. Sure it was a pain, but it makes sense that you wouldn't want any idiot to have access to the powerful magic.

And then you have skyrim where like 10 people are affiliated with the college, you have political mages at each hold. And because there's no requirements, half of skyrim apparently knows magic.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

Kirkbride is what elevated TES from generic fantasy pap. :colbert:

Ahahahahaha, because trying to turn generic fantasy into generic scifi is any less generic? It kind of makes it more generic IMO. As fantasy transitioning into scifi is basically what real life is.
And don't get me wrong, TES lore is interesting and i love it the way it is, but it's still generic pap.

Sky Shadowing posted:

Yeah, Elder Scrolls are not really prophetic in a way of "this is what will happen", they only show what could happen. Then when an event actually does happen it gets basically locked into the scroll, and there is no force in the entirety of the series that can force an Elder Scroll to lie. If something was written, that's what happened, and gently caress whatever curses or magic try and say otherwise.

Obviously that's a really Big Deal because Corvus Umbranox, as the Grey Fox, was desperately trying to break his curse, and the only way to do that was to get an Elder Scroll, because only it could give him the ability to force time to rewrite itself because he did something that was impossible.

This is also why the Dragon Breaks are a huge deal and even more mysterious. Because they aren't contained in the scrolls. No one knows what happened during dragon breaks, but everyone knows the dragon broke.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Shab posted:

Where do you think lore comes from?

People that actually know how to write.

I do like the idea of a giant robot killing elves endlessly. Mostly because elves are awful.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Dwemer were a scientific and industrial race, they kind of just expanded and lived wherever they wanted. If I remember correctly though, Skyrim was one of their main digs. Then the Nords showed up and went all manifest destiny on the dwarves. After years of war, dwarves either went underground or left for the mountains/Morrowind.

As for Elsweyr, if you studied magic as just another science, wouldn't you want to hang out with and study a race where the moon decides what form they will be. Ranging from giant horse-cats to house cats that wield magic?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Don't those other gods usually have daedric analogues though? I know that's how the Khajiit mythos is, daedra+aedra.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I think Kirk doesn't like Ebonarm because he's like the man version of vivec. Only he's actually cool, strong, smart, and gets poo poo done.

Also weren't the the Knights of the Thorn somehow related to the rose?

I just wish the cool, strong, and somewhat reasonable beings actually appeared or were mentioned. Like Jyggalag. All we get are Boring assholes like dagoth, alduin, and Dagon and their equally boring rear end in a top hat counterparts. And somehow we're meant to feel like we are accomplishing something besides just staving off minor/major destruction.

Alduin really just came off as an extra smug dragon, Dagon requires years of plotting by his followers to be more than impotent, and Dagoth is just another melodramatic elf with too much power.

Hell, I'd rather Alduin stay alive to kill off most of man/mer before stopping him. Especially with the political state of tamriel in skyrim, dragons murdering everyone would be a net improvement.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

I dunno man, I'm pretty sure genocide isn't preferable to most people?

The elves want to unmake everything, so you'd be wrong there.

Also, going off Alduin's pace in skyrim, the world would be fine for about a hundred years before he did much. And by then another dragonborn would show up to end him.

I'm more of wanting it because it'd create an actual interesting political dynamic amongst the provinces instead of what we're getting.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

axolotl farmer posted:

I would put money on Sumerset Isles and Valenwood for TES VI. It's time to take the fight to the Dominion. :toughguy:

This would be extremely my poo poo. If the last three games did anything, it was make me hate Altmer.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
My understanding is that only daedra do anything of consequence in the games. So I could care less about the eight and one besides the rad KotN armor in oblivion.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Drunk in Space posted:

until I realized how completely shallow and broken it actually was.

Having played morrowind, I'm surprised you didn't assume this would be the case.

Oblivion was my first of the games, and the first thing I noticed about morrowind was A)how easy it was to break the game apart and B)how thankful i am for quest markers. Some location descriptions in morrowind are about as reliable as in Skyrim, which is to say not. Which would be understandable if the direction giver was unreliable or it was a side-quest. Nope, Main quest, and an honest character.

Don't let anyone's rose-tinted glasses fool you. All the games are good, and all of them have their own bits that are hosed up, broken, dumb, or a combination thereof.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Sky Shadowing posted:

Skyrim, yes, I rarely use horses other than as a way to speed up my fast travel. Oblivion, no, Shadowmere is ridiculously useful as both faster from point to point and as an invulnerable meat shield.

This, Oblivion felt bigger imo because you couldn't sprint and using a horse(white from Anvil or Black from somewhere else, or shadowmere) was the only way to get anywhere with any expediency. They could also climb nearly verticle walls and hills if you didn't want to use paintbrushes to get over something you shouldn't.

Honestly, if they didn't add the dumbass sprint limiter to horses, Skyrim horses would be just as useful as oblivion. But apparently bethesda employees think horses can only gallop for ten seconds at a time.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

funmanguy posted:

I love TES lore and this thread for that reason. I also played oblivion first and love it to death. About once a year I sit down and start playing it again, and I've never installed a mod. That game got me into the whole series and the lore.

Also, I can't get into Morrowwind as a game. I've tried a few times and it's not fun to my simple brain. I'll devour the wiki entries about the lord in the game though.

I think Morrowind is an easy jump from Oblivion though? Same combat, just instead of doing jack for damage, you do none. Same cheesy to bad dialogue, just more options. The graphics of both are pretty bad nowadays. Magic still breaks the game apart before you even kill your first mudcrab. And high level areas are like stumbling upon Umbra for the first time in Oblivion.

I will say that unlike oblivion though, you should at least start the main quest to get a foothold.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Pikestaff posted:

Roll to hit never bugged me personally - although I might say something different if I was to pull up the game right now and roll a level one character from scratch. But I know a lot of people who tried to get into the game and couldn't for whatever reason - even back when it was a new game. Possibly because for a lot of people it was kind of their intro to this type of open world gaming.

The trick is to be a redguard and have blades be one of your core skills. It only takes like two levels before you starting crushing everything. And as it true of all Bethesda games, longsword artifacts are always top tier.

Which reminds of one thing that keeps getting worse. Levelled artifacts and quest rewards. Artifacts in particular don't make sense. Definitely not from a lore standpoint or logical standpoint. And it's not like Bethesda balances combat in these games, so it doesn't make sense from a balance standpoint either.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

funmanguy posted:

It seems like i've never played shivering isles. I need to remedy that.

You really should. The dlc for Oblivion is the best part of the game. Apparently I had a wizard uncle, the lady that eats horses is excellent at making armor for horses, and my other uncle was a knight.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Having started with Oblivion and playing all three unmodded for 100+hours each.

Skyrim is the best to just jump in, make a new character or load an old one, and just tool around or do something really specific.

Morrowind is the best to get lost in the story and really creating and roleplaying your own character.

Oblivion, while it's gameplay features lean more towards Skyrim, is in my opinion smack dab in the middle. More player agency and roleplaying value than Skyrim, easier, more enjoyable start than Morrowind.
Oblivion also has the best DLC though. More bite size than the oldschool full expansion pack style of morrowind. And actually thought out and filled with lore, unlike Skyrim DLC

The reason I focus on early game is because all three are pretty boring lategame, wherein you are a Demigod powerful enough to either be a Daedric Prince, or the Avatar of an Aedra, literally.
Skyrim and Oblivion's levelling means enemies become damage sponges, and Morrowinds lack of levelling means everything dies in one hit, or just from attacking you.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Speaking of loot. I much preferred Oblivion's (with dlc of course) handling of spell books. And learning spells in general.

Oblivion: "I can teach you what I know"
Skyrim: "pay me and go read a book"

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Sorus posted:

Where did Imperial Battlemages train post Battlespire?

I see two answers based on gameplay.

1. Based on the daedra and atronachs everywhere, they probably just train in the woods.

2. Based on how they were just imperial guards with hoods, they stopped training.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

FutonForensic posted:

Well there is this mod to convert Cyrodil into mostly jungle. Anyone tried it? Better or worse than temperate forest, gameplay wise?

". The Colovian west has become a dry scrubland..."

Net loss IMO. The beauty of the colonial west is why Anvil is the best city (along with best horses)

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I hope it's some place with water travel, or at least a place with loving Sunlight. Skyrim and Morrowind are both awful in that wherever you go it's dark,oppressive,moody. Only Morrowind has a loving excuse unlike "let's put dirt everywhere on everyone for no reason"

I mean it's not like the Norse, which nords are based off of, are historically notorious for being savages because they bathed.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
My guess is that after the events of Dragonborn, the PC gets stuck in the libraries forever.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Cubey posted:

Quests are not why any rational human being plays Elder Scrolls games. Morrowind is undeniably the best in the series and it sure as hell isn't because of the quests.

Actually that's exactly why Morrowwind is the best. The quests are interesting and fleshed out.

Roaming around Morrowind without something to specifically do is loving boring as poo poo. And all the good dialogue and lore was put into quests.

Skyrim is opposite and Oblivion is halfway. I think this is the reason everyone bitches about oblivion. It's not as good as Skyrim at what Skyrim focuses on, and not as good as Morrowind at what Morrowind does.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Bholder posted:

Now I remember.

Actually, no, Morrowind quests are worse.

They are about going back and forth between the quest giver and the target, doing things and reporting, then doing another thing, then reporting, then reporting to the other guy. Problem is, the distance between the two tend to be enormous and if one of them is found in Vivec it is a huge pain.

I don't understand why you guys act like this is any different than Oblivion and Skyrim? It is more tedious for the less interesting quests because you can't fast travel to get it over with. But on the whole there was more character reasoning than the general feel of Skyrim's "let's make up some poo poo for the player to do." attitude.

I much prefer tedium given by characters than boring given by npcs whose sole existence revolves around giving the character a lovely quest and some fancy poo poo as a reward.

That said, I will redact my original statement. Oblivion has the best quests. This opinion is heavily weighted by the daedric quests and the Thieves guild and Dark Brotherhood.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

GrumpyDoctor posted:

I thought the Skyirm Daedric quests were better than the Oblivion ones, in large part because I hated the whole carnival-booth aspect to getting them in Oblivion. Sanguine's quest is much better started by having a drink with a stranger in a bar than stumbling across yet another statue in the wilderness and giving it some wine or something.

I'll give you that part. But imo, raining burning dogs> 3 easy puzzles. And while sanguine quest start was unique, The Hangover is best left as a movie.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I fast travel if i'm doing a quest or going somewhere specific. Because my ADD kicks in hard. I have literally headed out from Morthal to get to Solitude and ended up in Riften.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Colgate posted:

My only two full playthroughs of Skyrim was an argonian thief-type with illusion magic, and a High Elf who was basically Doctor Doom. I just can't play a human.

I still have never played Oblivion, and I kind of want to, despite the somewhat negative opinion of it. The faces are just so bad though.

A page or two back a goon listed mods that help with the two main problems oblivion has. 1. Faces. 2. Levelling

I give oblivion props for being the last game to let you be a sensible battlemage.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I like to play female redguard warrior to literally fight the patriarchy.

Orc battlemage and Khajiit fisticuffs assassin are my other favorites I come back to.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I imagine all you need to do is go to spell creation a faff about for a bit and it will all come back to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

That's half the fun though, is figuring out how you managed to break the game this time.

I think this is why TES bugs get found so quickly. We are all conditioned to be bug testers.

They should do a beta for tesVI a little before release to find and fix all the bugs quicker